Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by SCIAG » 01 Jul 2019 22:55

Think Baldock would make a useful alternative to Barrow, looked good in a few appearances on the wing. If he's one of the higher earners then getting rid makes sense but I'll be sad to see him go.

JDB could go either way, he's been the best of a meh bunch over the past two years. Don't think Oliveira represents an big upgrade so would be disappointed if we used any FFP wiggle room those transfers generate to sign him. Get me Baker and Miazga!

Kelly's been treated very badly. 100% deserves to stay. Probably my biggest bone of contention with Gomes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 07:29

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

No need to read between the lines and put your own spin on what I have said. Bod has been too injury prone to be relied upon . He has a decent scoring record but from a limited number of games. Baldock was wholly ineffective as a striker. He was better playing in a wider role. He worked hard but didn’t achieve a great deal.

Well considering Bodvarsson has played 53 times for us, I don’t think that’s too shabby. Bear in mind he had a period where Stam didn’t play him even when fit, then I don’t think he’s been injured that long. Interestingly a much higher proportion of games played to injured than Oliviera who a lot of our fans want us to sign on no doubt higher wages. Just as long as we’re not left with Sam Smith leafing the line come 3rd August, now he really is garbage

In three seasons in the Championship Bod has scored 17 goals. That’s simply not enough.

I couldn't give a rats arse about his performance at Wolves.

In two seasons for Reading he's scored 17 goals in 55 appearances but 24 of them have been as a sub. That's a goal every 3.2 games. That's a perfectly adequate scoring rate. When you factor in almost half the games were as a sub its a really good rate.

His problem is not scoring, it's starting matches. It was absolutely criminal management from Stam not to start with him more often when he was fit. But his fitness record has been poor. I recall at least two niggles in his first year preventing a decent run in the side and then there was this year.

There are reasons to criticise Bod, scoring rate is not one.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2019 07:55

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ
Well considering Bodvarsson has played 53 times for us, I don’t think that’s too shabby. Bear in mind he had a period where Stam didn’t play him even when fit, then I don’t think he’s been injured that long. Interestingly a much higher proportion of games played to injured than Oliviera who a lot of our fans want us to sign on no doubt higher wages. Just as long as we’re not left with Sam Smith leafing the line come 3rd August, now he really is garbage

In three seasons in the Championship Bod has scored 17 goals. That’s simply not enough.

In two seasons for Reading he's scored 17 goals in 55 appearances but 24 of them have been as a sub. That's a goal every 3.2 games. That's a perfectly adequate scoring rate. When you factor in almost half the games were as a sub its a really good rate.

His problem is not scoring, it's starting matches. It was absolutely criminal management from Stam not to start with him more often when he was fit. But his fitness record has been poor. I recall at least two niggles in his first year preventing a decent run in the side and then there was this year.

Only 14 League goals in two seasons with us. It’s mostly injury related although after a strong start to last season he didn’t score after injury. We need more than an average of seven goals a season from our strikers.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2019 07:56

SCIAG Think Baldock would make a useful alternative to Barrow, looked good in a few appearances on the wing. If he's one of the higher earners then getting rid makes sense but I'll be sad to see him go.

JDB could go either way, he's been the best of a meh bunch over the past two years. Don't think Oliveira represents an big upgrade so would be disappointed if we used any FFP wiggle room those transfers generate to sign him. Get me Baker and Miazga!

Kelly's been treated very badly. 100% deserves to stay. Probably my biggest bone of contention with Gomes.

Couldn't disagree with you more on Oliveira. Strong, great touch, skillful,
good finisher, works hard. Everything we've been crying out for for years.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2019 08:14

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ

Yep. Fair criticism of Bod is as follows: hes surprisingly poor in the air, his hold up play is atrocious, for a big lad hes has been bullied off the ball a few times far too easily and his instinct is to bring the ball towards the right wing when dribbling (which isnt great when we only play 1 up front)

Imo, Bod would have been a terrific partner for Alfie but we are unlikely to see a striking partnership any time soon so it might be best to move him on. Both for us and his career.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jul 2019 08:31

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Only 14 League goals in two seasons with us. It’s mostly injury related although after a strong start to last season he didn’t score after injury. We need more than an average of seven goals a season from our strikers.

I saw a stat the other day about our top scorers in the last 6/7 years or so. Apart from Yann in 16/17, it was alarmingly poor, with the max being about 10/11/12 goals each year. It’s a major problem when you add on the wingers and attaching midfielders don’t score enough either

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jul 2019 08:35

URZZZZ
Zip
Snowflake Royal I couldn't give a rats arse about his performance at Wolves.

I saw a stat the other day about our top scorers in the last 6/7 years or so. Apart from Yann in 16/17, it was alarmingly poor, with the max being about 10/11/12 goals each year. It’s a major problem when you add on the wingers and attaching midfielders don’t score enough either

Oliveira has only managed to hit 15 goals in a season once in his career. So whilst I think he would be a step up on what we've got, those numbers may well continue next season even (if he comes).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jul 2019 09:26

SCIAG Kelly's been treated very badly. 100% deserves to stay. Probably my biggest bone of contention with Gomes.

I tend to take everything posted on here with a pinch of salt and looking at the video of everyone hanging out at training there's no beef whatsoever between Kelly and Gomes. Hopefully it's a sign of him being used in the new season.

Although obviously people who are trying to maintain the beef narrative will say it was all for show

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jul 2019 09:47

Silver Fox
SCIAG Kelly's been treated very badly. 100% deserves to stay. Probably my biggest bone of contention with Gomes.

I tend to take everything posted on here with a pinch of salt and looking at the video of everyone hanging out at training there's no beef whatsoever between Kelly and Gomes. Hopefully it's a sign of him being used in the new season.

Although obviously people who are trying to maintain the beef narrative will say it was all for show

Kelly had a very good game at Man U before being dropped. i think there must have been a behind the scenes issue rather than to do with ability. If whatever it was has been sorted out I will not be surprised to see Kelly back to his best this season and a regular in the side. Time will tell.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2019 09:54

Silver Fox the beef narrative

good name for a band

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2019 10:42

Pepe the Horseman
SCIAG Think Baldock would make a useful alternative to Barrow, looked good in a few appearances on the wing. If he's one of the higher earners then getting rid makes sense but I'll be sad to see him go.

Couldn't disagree with you more on Oliveira. Strong, great touch, skillful,
good finisher, works hard. Everything we've been crying out for for years.

100% agreed with PTH.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Jul 2019 10:49

andrew1957
Silver Fox

Kelly had a very good game at Man U before being dropped. i think there must have been a behind the scenes issue rather than to do with ability. If whatever it was has been sorted out I will not be surprised to see Kelly back to his best this season and a regular in the side. Time will tell.

Then Baker and Ejaria arrived.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Bod, Baldock, Gunter frozen out

by Millsy » 02 Jul 2019 11:05

Came to comment on a thread but either I'm being a blind twit or there isn't one (mods pls move if it's the former)

Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts on this.

For me:

Baldock - no brainer, probs on big wage.
Bod - hard one as stats suggest per min he doesn't do too badly and I can't imagine a big wage. I dont' know though.
Gunter - surprising, but must be on a big wage I imagine.

And obviously this must mean signings are on the way. I'm quite happy with going back to our roots as little Reading picking up cheaper/younger players and using our academy.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bod, Baldock, Gunter frozen out

by Nameless » 02 Jul 2019 11:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup Came to comment on a thread but either I'm being a blind twit or there isn't one (mods pls move if it's the former)

Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts on this.

For me:

Baldock - no brainer, probs on big wage.
Bod - hard one as stats suggest per min he doesn't do too badly and I can't imagine a big wage. I dont' know though.
Gunter - surprising, but must be on a big wage I imagine.

And obviously this must mean signings are on the way. I'm quite happy with going back to our roots as little Reading picking up cheaper/younger players and using our academy.

Covered in the Squad thread.
Signings have always been on the way, but was made clear ages ago that there has to be movement out as well.
Don't think there is anything that is really news, but can't see shifting players on big money who haven't been in our plans will be easy. There is no incentive for the players to move for lower wages and no incentive for clubs to match their current salaries.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Jul 2019 11:35

My 2 cents - I think we have to be ruthless. Gomes does not have the time to be sentimental and needs to get cash in and wages off the books.

Bod has done well in his time here and does carry a very good ethic in his game which I feel brings a bond with the fans however we cant have yet another injury plagued season. Maybe Gomes wants to bring in a certain type of CF a poacher maybe??

Gunter - its a bit of a shame as he 'was' good for us a while ago, but seems to be going through a bad patch, needs to move on the regain what he 'had'. Still leaves us in a strong position at RB with Watson and Howe if the hype is to be believed will kick on

Baldock - very unfair as we got him in and played a formation and style that does not suit him, cut our losses and watch him do well elsewhere. These things happen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 12:26

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Totally agree, just want to assert that it's his number of appearances that's the problem, and consequent total goals, not his scoring rate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 12:35

andrew1957
Silver Fox

Not sure what SF has an issue with here.

Gomes dropped Kelly after a good Utd showing as you say. Publically criticised him for a Martinez suicide pass whilst Kelly was injured that led to a goal, then publically criticised Kelly's performance and iirc attitude.

Kelly didn't have a great season when playing but was unfairly criticised by the fanbase and then the manager as well (depending on behind the scenes attitude issues).

Whether it's all smiles or not now (and why wouldn't it be in publicity shots) doesn't change what has gone before. Which was that Kelly was criticised for someone else's error, dropped unfairly based on pitch side performance and then ignored during our midfield crisis.

Hopefully all is now well and he can forge a strong partnership with Rino.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 02 Jul 2019 12:38

royalp-we
andrew1957
Silver Fox

Indeed. Kelly was excellent away at Man U, but Baker and Ejaria settled in and improved the team. Came back for Blackburn, got subbed, played away at Sheff U, was dreadful and didn't feature again. Not sure Gomes has done much wrong, bar that appearance at Old Trafford, the other midfielders have been the better choice. Stam's the bigger reason for Kelly's demise IMO.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jul 2019 12:41

If there's an issue it's people declaring that kelly's done when the evidence of yesterday suggests differently.

See also Gunter, who would have only had 3 weeks off if he came back yesterday, but all the experts on here know he's as good as gone (tbf several people have mentioned that, but I think it's been ignored generally)

BTW Ian, don't worry about replying to the Gunter point, we know how you feel on that one

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jul 2019 13:05

Whore Jackie
royalp-we
andrew1957

Indeed. Kelly was excellent away at Man U, but Baker and Ejaria settled in and improved the team. Came back for Blackburn, got subbed, played away at Sheff U, was dreadful and didn't feature again. Not sure Gomes has done much wrong, bar that appearance at Old Trafford, the other midfielders have been the better choice. Stam's the bigger reason for Kelly's demise IMO.

Baker didn’t settle in until around the Rotherham game (nearly two months) and Ejaria was consistently meh, but he was still ignored in that whole period

I don’t mind Gomes not choosing him because everyone likes and dislikes certain players. What he did wrong was publicly call him out for a 15 minute performance and a goal that wasn’t his fault

1826 posts