603 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pre season tour

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2019 18:25

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Hendo People yesterday were complaining there wasn't any pre-season games (because they hadn't been announced) and apparently Jose had mentioned 10 at the end of last season, but now there is too many? Ok, cool.

You maybe think that they might not be the same people? I, for one, never mentioned a lack of preseason games. Also I'm not complaining that there is too many. I'm merely surprised that there is so many. It's a different approach.

I’d say 6 is the normal number. One every Saturday in July and a couple of midweek ones. You don’t want too many to lead to fatigue but you need enough to get match fit

Most players will likely only complete the equivalent of 6 games over the summer. I like the number of games we have give Gomes plenty of time to experiment before settling on a starting XI who will prob start the 2 home friendlies.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jul 2019 18:51

Like the idea of the players getting into a match routine into the lead up to the season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jul 2019 21:02

Two of the Spain games are double headers, I`m struggling to think how we can field two competitive sides in the same side.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jul 2019 22:00

windermereROYAL Two of the Spain games are double headers, I`m struggling to think how we can field two competitive sides in the same side.

Obviously depends on who is around and fit but...
Walker; Yiadom, Moore, Blackett, Obita; Rinomhota, Kelly, Swift; Meite, Bod, Barrow

Perfectly happy with that team to start the season although it could obviously be strengthened.

Second string:

Southwood; Gunter, Osho, McIntyre, Richards; East, Holsgrove; McCleary, Loader, Baldock; Novakovich

And while the midfield is looking a bit thin, there's still room for a decent U23 side to fill out the benches:

Driscoll; Watson, Holmes, Odimayo, Howe; Coleman, Pendlebury; Olise, Lawless, Nolan; House

And Sidoel and Medford-Smith don't even make that team. Edit: and I forgot that McNulty and Popa exist.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jul 2019 22:10

SCIAG
windermereROYAL Two of the Spain games are double headers, I`m struggling to think how we can field two competitive sides in the same side.

Walker; Yiadom, Moore, Blackett, Obita; Rinomhota, Kelly, Swift; Meite, Bod, Barrow

Perfectly happy with that team to start the season although it could obviously be strengthened.

Second string:

Southwood; Gunter, Osho, McIntyre, Richards; East, Holsgrove; McCleary, Loader, Baldock; Novakovich

And while the midfield is looking a bit thin, there's still room for a decent U23 side to fill out the benches:

Driscoll; Watson, Holmes, Odimayo, Howe; Coleman, Pendlebury; Olise, Lawless, Nolan; House

And Sidoel and Medford-Smith don't even make that team. Edit: and I forgot that McNulty and Popa exist.

Do you not think Boadu will feature - not sure where we’re standing with him right now
Last edited by URZZZZ on 04 Jul 2019 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jul 2019 22:13

SCIAG

Second string:

Pretty sure the players who are being asked to leave aren't going to Spain. So, assuming JLow has those players correct, then Gunter, McCleary and Baldock won't be in that second string. Same with Popa, Bod, McNulty.

Although some of them may still be knocking around when the season starts - it's still hard to see how they can put out double teams for the back-to-back games, unless they bring along some triallists as well as the U23 squad

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jul 2019 06:36

Given most are behind closed doors and we will be working at the free end of the market, I think triallists are more than likely.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 Jul 2019 08:17

It will be quite funny if the players asked to find a new club are now told to come along to Spain to make up the numbers.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Jul 2019 08:59

I wouldn't have thought Yiadom will be in Spain, hes still involved in the ACON. he should get extended time off.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 09:10

windermereROYAL I wouldn't have thought Yiadom will be in Spain, hes still involved in the ACON. he should get extended time off.

Hence Watson and Howe being with the first team. They should both see this as their real chance to make an impression. Yiadom is undroppable but has often been shifted to LB or CB under Gomes so they could be looking at a good season as back up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 09:39

You know, it is actually conceivable that we will sign players between now and the first double header which is 11 days away?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 09:41

Hendo

You know, it is actually conceivable that we will sign players between now and the first double header which is 11 days away?

Jlow shows how:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-16524480

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2019 11:51

First half team:

Andressen

Watson
Osho
Holmes
Richards

Trialist
Holsgrove

Olise
Smith
Frost

Novakovich

Guessing we’ll see the first 11 in the second half. Can’t read too much into it but suggests that Howe is ahead of Watson in the pecking order...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2019 12:40

1-0 Olise

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2019 12:55

Need to get Olise to extend his contract. Didn’t realise he only had one year left, think the lad will be a star

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Jul 2019 12:59

Hound Need to get Olise to extend his contract. Didn’t realise he only had one year left, think the lad will be a star

Same as Nova. judging by the text updates he had a decent first half. too early to get excited though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2019 13:01

Hound Need to get Olise to extend his contract. Didn’t realise he only had one year left, think the lad will be a star

Agreed. Sounds like he has shown some nice skill in today’s first half too

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2019 13:12

windermereROYAL

Same as Nova. judging by the text updates he had a decent first half. too early to get excited though.

Yeah not basing it on today, but he is a very impressive player considering his age

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Jul 2019 13:14

Barrow scores. waste of time the other teams turning up this year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2019 13:16

Olise ‘different class’ according to Low

603 posts