Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 13:47

Hound If Kelly goes as well and if we do get some money for Stacey, that’s prob 4m or so in fees and wages saved. Hopefully creates enough to sort some loans ASAP

Anyone know how the accounting for fees in works?

Is there a spreading over seasons thing, or a loss of asset value in losing a player?

Dont fees out get accounted for over the length of the contract so does this first get eaten up by any outstanding accounting of the fee we paid for Bod?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Jul 2019 13:54

If selling Bod means we can sign Oliveira then selling McNulty and Baldock means we can sign Piggott and reduce the wage bill then I'd be happy with that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2019 14:43

Snowflake Royal
Hound If Kelly goes as well and if we do get some money for Stacey, that’s prob 4m or so in fees and wages saved. Hopefully creates enough to sort some loans ASAP

Is there a spreading over seasons thing, or a loss of asset value in losing a player?

Dont fees out get accounted for over the length of the contract so does this first get eaten up by any outstanding accounting of the fee we paid for Bod?

Not sure - prob depends on the terms of each deal

Obvs I’ve massively over simplified but gist is hopefully sound in that we should now be able to bring people in within reason

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jul 2019 16:00

Baldock travelling with Squad to Spain....maybe not quite fit for game yesterday? As far as I know the club have not made any statement on any of the players and we have just relied on local press as to who has been training and maybe assumptions have been made.

Or could be cover as looks like Smith injured...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2019 17:28

The fee for Kelly does appear to be £500,000. Very low. Based on this fee and Bod’s fee we really are getting poor value on player sales.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jul 2019 17:50

Again, Kelly's contract is up next summer. If he's not in Gomes' plans, better to sell for 500k now and give us room to deal than nothing next year.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jul 2019 20:54

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Obvs I’ve massively over simplified but gist is hopefully sound in that we should now be able to bring people in within reason

Fees are spread over the length of the contract. So, Bodvarsson cost about £1m 2 years ago with a 3 year contract. So that's .33m in each of 2018, 2019, 2020 season.

If we sell him for .75 million, then that would be regarded as FFP profit of .42million. If Millwall are paying in instalments, then that profit might be spread over a couple of seasons.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2019 21:00

Possibly more importantly I would guess moving some players out will mean the ‘soft embargo’ will be removed and we can actually bring in the players we have lined up and waiting.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jul 2019 21:05

muirinho
Hound
Snowflake Royal Anyone know how the accounting for fees in works?

Fees are spread over the length of the contract. So, Bodvarsson cost about £1m 2 years ago with a 3 year contract. So that's .33m in each of 2018, 2019, 2020 season.

If we sell him for .75 million, then that would be regarded as FFP profit of .42million. If Millwall are paying in instalments, then that profit might be spread over a couple of seasons.

Thought purchases were spread over life of contract but sales regarded as immediate.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jul 2019 21:20

maffff
muirinho
Hound

Thought purchases were spread over life of contract but sales regarded as immediate.

Wasn't sure about instalments so yeah, that's why I said "might"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 11:54

so looks like we have loan signings lined up and ready to go, soon as we shift Kelly, Bod and co:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... w-16548142

side point, JLow and CF seemed to have stepped up a bit this summer. Interesting they never seem to quote each other directly though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 12:28

I know its generally not a good thing but I am quite excited about how many youngsters have been brought on the trip.

If we presume the senior squad looks something like this:
GKs - Walker
RBs - Yiadom, Watson, Howe
CBs - Moore, Osho, McIntyre
LBs - Blackett, Obita, Richards
CMs - Rinomhota, East, Holsgrove
AMs - Meite, Barrow, Swift, Loader, Olise, Barrett
STs - Novakovich

For the moment then we might actually get by with a few, clever loans or sneaky free transfers. We only have 4 holes in the squad (only..) being GK, CB, CM and ST (yes that is literally an entire spine of a team missing but I'm trying to look on the bright side)

We are set at Right and Left back which feels weird to say considering since our last relegation we have never been set in both these positions (including back up), our attacking mids are pretty good as far as championship quality. Meite, Swift and Barrow as an attacking trio could be very dangerous at times. Loader, Olise and Barrett (if he can make the step up) all make decent back up material. Finally 2 of the positions we desperately need to fill will be partnered with 2 of our best players in Moore and Rinomhota. So its not like the entire spine needs to be built.

If we focus on those 4 key positions Gk, CB, ST and CM (in that order please) then we should be fine to use this season as a building block while steering clear of a relegation battle.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 12:31

Gomes wanted to take a look at Smith, hence his involvement on Saturday, but he’s unlikely to play a further part in the season for us, with L1 and L2 teams interested in him. Guess that’s why Baldock is in the squad, as otherwise we’d only have one striker. Doubt Baldock will feature much in the tour though

^been especially impressed with Courtney so far, seems to have really stepped up his game

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 12:37

NewCorkSeth I know its generally not a good thing but I am quite excited about how many youngsters have been brought on the trip.

GKs - Walker
STs - Novakovich

For the moment then we might actually get by with a few, clever loans or sneaky free transfers. We only have 4 holes in the squad (only..) being GK, CB, CM and ST (yes that is literally an entire spine of a team missing but I'm trying to look on the bright side)

We are set at Right and Left back which feels weird to say considering since our last relegation we have never been set in both these positions (including back up), our attacking mids are pretty good as far as championship quality. Meite, Swift and Barrow as an attacking trio could be very dangerous at times. Loader, Olise and Barrett (if he can make the step up) all make decent back up material. Finally 2 of the positions we desperately need to fill will be partnered with 2 of our best players in Moore and Rinomhota. So its not like the entire spine needs to be built.

If we focus on those 4 key positions Gk, CB, ST and CM (in that order please) then we should be fine to use this season as a building block while steering clear of a relegation battle.

Good report. Imbalance in the squad evident. Plenty of options for the AM slots and the fullbacks, limited elsewhere. Common sense would suggest that is where Gomes would fit in the loanees

Think 15 of the 22 players we have on tour are academy players. I am also excited to see the development of them

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Jul 2019 12:47

NewCorkSeth I know its generally not a good thing but I am quite excited about how many youngsters have been brought on the trip.

GKs - Walker
STs - Novakovich

We would be extremely vulnerable to injuries though. . . . . .

If you want to stay in this league then every game you need to start with at least 8-9 players that are proven at Championship level. We have barely that number in the squad at the moment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 12:48

I'm reasonably optimistic. Depends on the loans we bring in of course. One thing we prob need is a bit of experience, rather than an untried youngster. Even if its a couple of seasons abroad.

Looks like the young portugese keeper is coming in (no way Jose would waste a loan on a back up, he will be first choice). Miazga, Baker and Oliveira would fill the other 3 spots nicely, if not players of similar calibre and experience

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 13:02

Hound I'm reasonably optimistic. Depends on the loans we bring in of course. One thing we prob need is a bit of experience, rather than an untried youngster. Even if its a couple of seasons abroad.

Looks like the young portugese keeper is coming in (no way Jose would waste a loan on a back up, he will be first choice). Miazga, Baker and Oliveira would fill the other 3 spots nicely, if not players of similar calibre and experience

I havent said it aloud but those 3 would cement our place in the championship next season. I dont think we have much of a chance of getting all 3 back but if we did? Stress free season..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jul 2019 13:07

NewCorkSeth
Hound I'm reasonably optimistic. Depends on the loans we bring in of course. One thing we prob need is a bit of experience, rather than an untried youngster. Even if its a couple of seasons abroad.

I havent said it aloud but those 3 would cement our place in the championship next season. I dont think we have much of a chance of getting all 3 back but if we did? Stress free season..

I think if we got all of those three back I’d back us for a run into the playoffs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 13:09

sure Miazga and Baker have been looked at. loan til end of season with mandatory purchase would be nice - though not sure how that would work with Miazga being ooc at the end of next year.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 08 Jul 2019 13:15

Get reading reporting that 'we will have 3-4 new signings by the end of the week'. https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... w-16548142

1826 posts