CONFIMRED - Liam Kelly

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bye, Liam Kelly

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2019 18:57

Good luck to him.

Tidy player who wasn't at his best for quite some time, but got a hard time compared to many of the shirkers we've had. Far better defensively than given credit for, but just too small really. Leaves us weaker right now, but money off the wage bill and bonus income is what we need. Probably a dozen players I'd rather lose.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Jul 2019 19:05

Zip
Jagermesiter1871 Did we really get £800,000? That's brilliant. If there's also a half decent sell on clause, just in case does actually make it, that's a great bit of business. Howe is truly back.

Courtney Friday who first broke this transfer says it’s a zero transfer fee but with add ins will reach £500,000.

if there is no sell-on clause included in this then that's a pretty garbage deal to be honest. I cannot believe for a second he was one of those on astronomical wages.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2019 19:09

FiNeRaIn
Zip
Jagermesiter1871 Did we really get £800,000? That's brilliant. If there's also a half decent sell on clause, just in case does actually make it, that's a great bit of business. Howe is truly back.

Courtney Friday who first broke this transfer says it’s a zero transfer fee but with add ins will reach £500,000.

if there is no sell-on clause included in this then that's a pretty garbage deal to be honest. I cannot believe for a second he was one of those on astronomical wages.

He did get a new deal when Gourlay was here so I suspect he was on a good whack.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Liam Kelly

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 19:16

He got a Gourlay contract when he was right at the very peak of his form and looked like one of the best prospects in the division. It would have been hefty

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2019 20:15

I really like Gomes but he's made a mistake here. Losing one of our best midfielders for such a small fee, and to a bigger club, is a joke.

If that fee lets us get someone better in (Baker being the obvious option) or lets us get two adequate first teamers, then it makes sense, but that seems unlikely, and otherwise it's one of the most baffling sales of recent years.

There have been a few comments about his attitude. Can't work out if this are veiled remarks about something I've missed. I pay zero attention to social media so if he's been sexually harassing people in Instagram then obviously I retract my comments.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 08 Jul 2019 20:19

Good luck to him, under the right management, with the right psychologist, in the right conditions (e.g. not struggling to stay up in a very psychical league) he can be amazing, a real talent. Sadly those conditions are unlikely to be present in our near future, so probably the best for both parties.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2019 20:24

SCIAG I really like Gomes but he's made a mistake here. Losing one of our best midfielders for such a small fee, and to a bigger club, is a joke.

If that fee lets us get someone better in (Baker being the obvious option) or lets us get two adequate first teamers, then it makes sense, but that seems unlikely, and otherwise it's one of the most baffling sales of recent years.

There have been a few comments about his attitude. Can't work out if this are veiled remarks about something I've missed. I pay zero attention to social media so if he's been sexually harassing people in Instagram then obviously I retract my comments.

If he is as good as you suggest then it is a very poor deal. Personally I just don’t think he is that good, When I compare the way Baker controlled games from deep in the back end of last season I just don’t believe Kelly can do that. It will be interesting to see how he does. If he succeeds let’s hope there is a decent sell on clause otherwise we have lost out one one of our home in a big way.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2019 20:37

Zip
SCIAG I really like Gomes but he's made a mistake here. Losing one of our best midfielders for such a small fee, and to a bigger club, is a joke.

If he is as good as you suggest then it is a very poor deal. Personally I just don’t think he is that good, When I compare the way Baker controlled games from deep in the back end of last season I just don’t believe Kelly can do that. It will be interesting to see how he does. If he succeeds let’s hope there is a decent sell on clause otherwise we have lost out one one of our home in a big way.

Baker is obviously a much better player than Kelly, he'll have an extended career at the highest level. Baker is much too good for us. Only midfielders we've had with that level of talent in the last ten years or so are Carrico and Gylfi. You don't need to be that good to cut it for Reading.

At the moment it isn't a choice between Kelly and Baker, it's a choice between Kelly and East or Meyler. I would argue that the gap between Kelly and East/Meyler is a similar size to the gap between Baker and Kelly.

As I said, if we get an upgrade then fine - but given the tiny fee and our perilous financial position, we'll do very well indeed to get an upgrade.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2019 20:41

I’m confident Gomes and the recruitment team will bring a substantially better player than East or Meyler to fill the gap

Thing is with him being over 24 and in the last year of his contract, he wasn’t really any more tied to us than if we got a Baker/Ejaria type in for the next season

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 20:56

Hound I’m confident Gomes and the recruitment team will bring a substantially better player than East or Meyler to fill the gap

Thing is with him being over 24 and in the last year of his contract, he wasn’t really any more tied to us than if we got a Baker/Ejaria type in for the next season

I still think we need two CM’s, Im not sure if East is ready to be third choice central midfielder yet

Anyway...Gunter going, Kelly gone, who’s the next scapegoat going to be? My moneys on Blackett or Swift now

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Jul 2019 21:01

URZZZZ
Hound I’m confident Gomes and the recruitment team will bring a substantially better player than East or Meyler to fill the gap

I still think we need two CM’s, Im not sure if East is ready to be third choice central midfielder yet

Anyway...Gunter going, Kelly gone, who’s the next scapegoat going to be? My moneys on Blackett or Swift now

Maybe Gunter will stay, to fulfil the scapegoat role. Makes sense - he's used to it, and will take the heat off a relatively young inexperienced team....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2019 21:06

SCIAG
Zip

Baker is obviously a much better player than Kelly, he'll have an extended career at the highest level. Baker is much too good for us. Only midfielders we've had with that level of talent in the last ten years or so are Carrico and Gylfi. You don't need to be that good to cut it for Reading.

At the moment it isn't a choice between Kelly and Baker, it's a choice between Kelly and East or Meyler. I would argue that the gap between Kelly and East/Meyler is a similar size to the gap between Baker and Kelly.

As I said, if we get an upgrade then fine - but given the tiny fee and our perilous financial position, we'll do very well indeed to get an upgrade.

Part of the problem I had with Kelly was that alongside Swift it made us incredibly lightweight in midfield. Given that Swift still appears to be in Gomes plans there was no realistic opportunity for Kelly next season. Obvs I hope Baker returns. Failing that I hope we can bring someone else in who will be a better fit with Swift and Rinomhota than Kelly would have been. Meyler isn’t the answer. I have no idea if East can step up.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 08 Jul 2019 21:20

Good luck to Kelly. Something makes me think the Dutch league will be good for him if he can get enough games. It must be good for some of the Academy lads to see where you can end up after coming through the ranks at Reading.

He was a good player for us. But his size made him a luxury player at times. I'll remember a swerving pass he played with the outside of his foot to set up a goal and the way he looked brilliant at times during Stam's play-off season - Leeds (H)?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 08 Jul 2019 21:42

Terrible decision. Immense talent, just needed the right nurturing and a positive role in the team. I worry about our future as a club when things like this happen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 22:09

So what do we reckon? Will he do well over there? Personally I can see him putting in some decent performances. Manager who knows and trusts him and that fact he went after him should put some confidence in his mind. I can see him carving out a decent career from here.

I want to double down though. It is the right move for the club. He was underperforming and I couldn't see a way out of the hole he dug himself here.

Good luck to him!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2019 22:10

NewCorkSeth So what do we reckon? Will he do well over there? Personally I can see him putting in some decent performances. Manager who knows and trusts him and that fact he went after him should put some confidence in his mind. I can see him carving out a decent career from here.

I want to double down though. It is the right move for the club. He was underperforming and I couldn't see a way out of the hole he dug himself here.

Good luck to him!

I think he will find it tough going

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2019 22:10

URZZZZ

Swift. For sure.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Jul 2019 22:37

Muskrat Terrible decision. Immense talent, just needed the right nurturing and a positive role in the team. I worry about our future as a club when things like this happen.

Comes a point when it's character rather than just ability which lifts players to higher levels. In a team that may battle to survive in the division. Too much of a luxury to have in the team. Went missing and was ineffective far too often. Dutch football may well suit him better.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Jul 2019 23:07

Gomes clearly didn't rate him so what was the point of having him around when an offer was on the table and he was on Gourlay Man United wages?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Jul 2019 23:19

I found Kelly frustrating. You could see the talent but his decision making and over hitting passes drove me insane.
Good luck to him, I thought he might have got one more chance but we have to change and move on. Brave move by Gomes and I'm gonna back the manager on this one.