VAR

1731 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2019 08:28

Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
tmesis One of the reasons it seems so negative as its most common use seems to be to disallow goals, or maybe to see saved penalties retaken. It's cancelling out moments of excitement. It's not really giving much.

Goal-line technology is completely different. It's instant, and seems to resulting in goals being given where previously the defence would have got the benefit of the doubt. I really don't get anyone against it.

That's pretty spot on tbf

It's a good system being misapplied IMO.

Offsides, great. Although there needs to be a lino's call rule similar in cricket, that if it's within x margin it doesn't count. But when it's referred back to ref's they seem to think that the slightest hint of anything must be given.

So Var is picking up on tenuous claims the ref might have missed, and the ref is giving them purely because of slow mo and the opportunity to look 9 nine times.

If it's factual, don't ask the ref just overturn.

If it's not factual, then if the ref can't see a glaring mistake in two views, it can't be clear and obvious, don't change decision.

The refs seem to think the slightest hint of anything must be given because that's the laws of the game. You're either in an offside position gaining an advantage/interfering with play or you're not. VAR is there to check on all goals and so they can't really ignore a decision like that once they've looked at the replay can they?

Where do you draw the line for the margin for error? It'll much the same as the decision on whether something is a clear and obvious error, ie it just doesn't really work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 11:22

Hoop Blah
Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet That's pretty spot on tbf

It's a good system being misapplied IMO.

Offsides, great. Although there needs to be a lino's call rule similar in cricket, that if it's within x margin it doesn't count. But when it's referred back to ref's they seem to think that the slightest hint of anything must be given.

So Var is picking up on tenuous claims the ref might have missed, and the ref is giving them purely because of slow mo and the opportunity to look 9 nine times.

If it's factual, don't ask the ref just overturn.

If it's not factual, then if the ref can't see a glaring mistake in two views, it can't be clear and obvious, don't change decision.

The refs seem to think the slightest hint of anything must be given because that's the laws of the game. You're either in an offside position gaining an advantage/interfering with play or you're not. VAR is there to check on all goals and so they can't really ignore a decision like that once they've looked at the replay can they?

Where do you draw the line for the margin for error? It'll much the same as the decision on whether something is a clear and obvious error, ie it just doesn't really work.

Sorry, slightly confused (drunk) post.

Offsides are objective, for the most part. So they're cool. Although a Lino's call should maybe be given for ones where it is off by a matter of an inch or two and lino said on.

On the giving any tiny thing referred I meant the more subjective stuff like White's handball.

Arm is in a natural position, arguably it can't go anywhere else. Ball bounces off her chest awkwardly, maybe hits the defender before her arm. Contact is tiny. I don't see how that can possibly be a clear and obvious error. Either that shouldn't have been referred or the ref should have had the guts to call it as insufficient to rule out a goal.

But VAR seems to be referring any tiny possibility and the ref giving the vast majority just because they've had to go and watch it on the screen.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2019 11:26

Snowflake Royal On the giving any tiny thing referred I meant the more subjective stuff like White's handball.

Arm is in a natural position, arguably it can't go anywhere else. Ball bounces off her chest awkwardly, maybe hits the defender before her arm. Contact is tiny. I don't see how that can possibly be a clear and obvious error. Either that shouldn't have been referred or the ref should have had the guts to call it as insufficient to rule out a goal.

But VAR seems to be referring any tiny possibility and the ref giving the vast majority just because they've had to go and watch it on the screen.

I think, and I'm not sure on the definition as I've lost hope in it all, that when it's a goal check they are supposed to check everything and not just clear and obvious errors.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 11:32

Hoop Blah
Snowflake Royal On the giving any tiny thing referred I meant the more subjective stuff like White's handball.

I think, and I'm not sure on the definition as I've lost hope in it all, that when it's a goal check they are supposed to check everything and not just clear and obvious errors.

Ok. That would explain why we've seen some absurd referrals and ref's ruling out goals for the most tenuous shit then.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 07 Jul 2019 17:21

WOW

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

THAT WAS NEVER EVER A PENALTY IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!!

Pfuck VAR.

She was looking at the ball the whole time. She went to clear a ball that was in the air. The player came from the blindside and chested the ball away BEFORE the dutch player hit her... which she couldn't NOT do because her foot was in the air.

This entire world cup has been an advert for why VAR should not be in the game.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jul 2019 21:36

It was a penalty!

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 07 Jul 2019 22:22

BR0B0T It was a penalty!

How?!

That was never ever a pen

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2019 00:01

Hendo Thinking of a BTTS bet for all Prem games on the opening weekend of the season, it’s going to be carnage, isn’t it?

That’s a decent idea actually, the amount of penalties given will be extortionate and then it’ll take a while for goalies having to be disciplined enough to stay on their line so they’ll be plenty of retakes etc

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 09 Jul 2019 07:38

URZZZZ
Hendo Thinking of a BTTS bet for all Prem games on the opening weekend of the season, it’s going to be carnage, isn’t it?

That’s a decent idea actually, the amount of penalties given will be extortionate and then it’ll take a while for goalies having to be disciplined enough to stay on their line so they’ll be plenty of retakes etc

600-1 on bet365. Only thing that'd put me off is the potential for VAR to rule out lots of goals!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jul 2019 09:32

It's a nice idea but Mike Riley said yesterday that the EPL (ugh) won't be using VAR like they did in the WWC and there will be less of the nonsense we've seen these last few weeks

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jul 2019 10:14

Silver Fox It's a nice idea but Mike Riley said yesterday that the EPL (ugh) won't be using VAR like they did in the WWC and there will be less of the nonsense we've seen these last few weeks

Yeah, saw that yesterday, which does change things.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Jul 2019 12:57

Hendo
Silver Fox It's a nice idea but Mike Riley said yesterday that the EPL (ugh) won't be using VAR like they did in the WWC and there will be less of the nonsense we've seen these last few weeks

Who is going to be the first bell end manager or someone on the bench to do this?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Jul 2019 12:58

and this GIF will be seen a lot on here next season...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jul 2019 14:37

paultheroyal
Hendo

Who is going to be the first bell end manager or someone on the bench to do this?

Shaun Dyche.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 09 Jul 2019 14:42

Hendo
paultheroyal
Hendo

Shaun Dyche.

Nah . It will be one of the foreign ones.

Wolves or arsenal are my bets.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 09 Jul 2019 14:42

paultheroyal and this GIF will be seen a lot on here next season...

What did he say

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Jul 2019 14:55

Ball Ship

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Jul 2019 13:04

My beef with VAR offsides that are so close are based on some margin of error on when the ball is played. They never show or focus on instant the ball moves or is played, that seems to be fixed and then the offside line drawn to measure who's ankle playing someone onside.

I'd be interested to know how many frames cover a ball being played and whether a frame earlier or later gives a different result.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Jul 2019 13:20

Not VAR, but a new rule that is now in place is that goal kicks no longer have to leave the penalty area before being touched by a player on the kicker's team (although attackers still have to remain outside the area until the kick is taken). Much was made of Inter nearly scoring last week from an attack that started from a nudged goal kick in their own box, but this rule change has already been gamed by Benfica, whose keeper flicked the ball up for his defender to head back into his arms, before throwing the ball up towards a teammate at halfway. Am sure FIFA will 'clarify' this one.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... orkaround/

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Jul 2019 13:43

Sanguine this rule change has already been gamed by Benfica, whose keeper flicked the ball up for his defender to head back into his arms, before throwing the ball up towards a teammate at halfway. Am sure FIFA will 'clarify' this one

haven't heard about this incident but I understood the reason a defender can't flick it up and head it back for the keeper to catch is some kind of unsporting behaviour rule, sounds like they just need to add this to it

1731 posts