CONFIMRED - Liam Kelly

Ranty McRantface

Re: CONFIMRED - Liam Kelly

by Ranty McRantface » 09 Jul 2019 00:03

Pretty mixed about this.

On one side I'm gutted we have lost a very talented player who I feel was unfairly targeted by the fans at times. However, he was so low on confidence it was absolutely killing us at times as well as himself.

I think for the sake of his career a change will be really good for him and us. He'll be back playing with his favourite manager in a league far more accepting of a player of his talents. Good luck to the lad.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jul 2019 06:38

Mixed feelings too. On his day, he's a great little player but his day only seemed to occur under Stam, in a team high on confidence which to me suggests a lack of adaptability and maybe work ethic.

Hope he does well at Feyenoord and it's probably the best move for all parties.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jul 2019 06:52

Jagermesiter1871
SCIAG I really like Gomes but he's made a mistake here. Losing one of our best midfielders for such a small fee, and to a bigger club, is a joke.

If that fee lets us get someone better in (Baker being the obvious option) or lets us get two adequate first teamers, then it makes sense, but that seems unlikely, and otherwise it's one of the most baffling sales of recent years.

There have been a few comments about his attitude. Can't work out if this are veiled remarks about something I've missed. I pay zero attention to social media so if he's been sexually harassing people in Instagram then obviously I retract my comments.

Gomes clearly didn't rate him so what was the point of having him around when an offer was on the table and he was on Gourlay Man United wages?

Might find this hard to imagine because it happens so rarely but fans are allowed to disagree with a manager.

Obviously given Gomes' opinion then we had to sell, but to paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson, given that it is a bad opinion I've elected to ignore it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jul 2019 11:22

SCIAG
Jagermesiter1871
SCIAG I really like Gomes but he's made a mistake here. Losing one of our best midfielders for such a small fee, and to a bigger club, is a joke.

If that fee lets us get someone better in (Baker being the obvious option) or lets us get two adequate first teamers, then it makes sense, but that seems unlikely, and otherwise it's one of the most baffling sales of recent years.

There have been a few comments about his attitude. Can't work out if this are veiled remarks about something I've missed. I pay zero attention to social media so if he's been sexually harassing people in Instagram then obviously I retract my comments.

Gomes clearly didn't rate him so what was the point of having him around when an offer was on the table and he was on Gourlay Man United wages?

Might find this hard to imagine because it happens so rarely but fans are allowed to disagree with a manager.

Obviously given Gomes' opinion then we had to sell, but to paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson, given that it is a bad opinion I've elected to ignore it.

If the fan's opinion is that Kelly is one of our best midfielders then that suggests the fan is wrong. He wasn't one of our best 2 last season. He may be considered one of our best currently but that's only because we've not yet signed his replacement.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jul 2019 13:14

looked promising, tailed off dramatically, happy to let him go

if we had time(and weren't oxf*rd with FFP) to spend rebuilding his confidence, and bringing him back into the team over time and reducing the errors/improving his weak points id say keep him, but we do not have that

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jul 2019 13:17

Nameless
SCIAG
Jagermesiter1871

If the fan's opinion is that Kelly is one of our best midfielders then that suggests the fan is wrong. He wasn't one of our best 2 last season. He may be considered one of our best currently but that's only because we've not yet signed his replacement.

Given that we've already lost Baker and Ejaria (and Ezatolahi), our only remaining central midfielders with first team appearances are Rinomhota, Swift, Meyler, and East. Kelly is clearly better than Meyler and East, and Swift is a sub-optimal option in a two. So almost by default, Kelly was in the top two.

Obviously I have no way of knowing whether a replacement will turn out to be a better player (although Aaron Kuhl is still available). I don't think it is impossible, but I think it will be very hard in our present situation, given FFP and the low reported fee for Kelly. If we sign a replacement then my view might change, but I can't just take it as an article of faith at this point in time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 18:31

He commented that the squad never felt in danger of relegation the season before last. Which is worrying. And Gomes publically criticised his attitude (and performance) post Sheff U. So there's enough to speculate on.0

Oh and some melts are upset because he posted some social stuff on social media after we lost a few times. :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 18:37

Zip
SCIAG
Zip
If he is as good as you suggest then it is a very poor deal. Personally I just don’t think he is that good, When I compare the way Baker controlled games from deep in the back end of last season I just don’t believe Kelly can do that. It will be interesting to see how he does. If he succeeds let’s hope there is a decent sell on clause otherwise we have lost out one one of our home in a big way.

Baker is obviously a much better player than Kelly, he'll have an extended career at the highest level. Baker is much too good for us. Only midfielders we've had with that level of talent in the last ten years or so are Carrico and Gylfi. You don't need to be that good to cut it for Reading.

At the moment it isn't a choice between Kelly and Baker, it's a choice between Kelly and East or Meyler. I would argue that the gap between Kelly and East/Meyler is a similar size to the gap between Baker and Kelly.

As I said, if we get an upgrade then fine - but given the tiny fee and our perilous financial position, we'll do very well indeed to get an upgrade.

Part of the problem I had with Kelly was that alongside Swift it made us incredibly lightweight in midfield. Given that Swift still appears to be in Gomes plans there was no realistic opportunity for Kelly next season. Obvs I hope Baker returns. Failing that I hope we can bring someone else in who will be a better fit with Swift and Rinomhota than Kelly would have been. Meyler isn’t the answer. I have no idea if East can step up.

Rinomhota, Kelly, Ejaria >> Rinomhota, Ejaria, Swift >>>
Rinomhota, Kelly, Swift

IMO.

I thought East looked promising in his cameo last year. I'd be happy to have him 4th choice for the middle 2. Shame with Kelly gone it's him or Swift alongside Rino.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jul 2019 20:28

Snowflake Royal

He commented that the squad never felt in danger of relegation the season before last. Which is worrying. And Gomes publically criticised his attitude (and performance) post Sheff U. So there's enough to speculate on.0

Oh and some melts are upset because he posted some social stuff on social media after we lost a few times. :roll:

Social media is a toxic place for footballers. Lose a game/make a mistake and you apologise on twitter, then people say it's just a PR stunt and not genuine, don't write anything and people say you don't care. See the reaction after Stevenage away last season. It's really a loss - loss situation for the players

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Jul 2019 21:16

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Social media is a toxic place for footballers. Lose a game/make a mistake and you apologise on twitter, then people say it's just a PR stunt and not genuine, don't write anything and people say you don't care. See the reaction after Stevenage away last season. It's really a loss - loss situation for the players

You mean where Gunter apologised on behalf of our club captain who had acted like a twat?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Jul 2019 21:56

Snowflake Royal Shame with Kelly gone it's him or Swift alongside Rino.

You would hope that Gomes will add more steel to midfield. Allowing Swift a freer role with less defensive duties.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 09 Jul 2019 23:00

Jagermesiter1871
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal He commented that the squad never felt in danger of relegation the season before last. Which is worrying. And Gomes publically criticised his attitude (and performance) post Sheff U. So there's enough to speculate on.0

You mean where Gunter apologised on behalf of our club captain who had acted like a twat?

Stevanage was the single lowest point of supporting Reading for me. No desire, no heart, no plan, and a captain who looked like he couldn't care less. It was lower L2 opposition ffs.

And on that point it's part of the reason why I like Gunter, he's one player who quite clearly runs and runs for the club and actually looks like he gives a f*ck every time he puts on the hoops. He'd be vastly better rated if he didn't have to cover for the RM as well as occasionally the CB as well.

If you've got one man who you're relying on for crossing it it, blocking crosses, and heading crosses away inside the box almost every phase of play, slating him for not being perfect at each one is pretty blind.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Jul 2019 23:54

Chameleon
Jagermesiter1871
URZZZZ

Stevanage was the single lowest point of supporting Reading for me. No desire, no heart, no plan, and a captain who looked like he couldn't care less. It was lower L2 opposition ffs.

And on that point it's part of the reason why I like Gunter, he's one player who quite clearly runs and runs for the club and actually looks like he gives a f*ck every time he puts on the hoops. He'd be vastly better rated if he didn't have to cover for the RM as well as occasionally the CB as well.

If you've got one man who you're relying on for crossing it it, blocking crosses, and heading crosses away inside the box almost every phase of play, slating him for not being perfect at each one is pretty blind.

Couldn't agree more with all of that. Think Gunter has been very harshly treated and everything I've seen he seems an absolute gent off the pitch.

cornflake

by cornflake » 10 Jul 2019 18:00

Jagermesiter1871
Chameleon
Jagermesiter1871

Couldn't agree more with all of that. Think Gunter has been very harshly treated and everything I've seen he seems an absolute gent off the pitch.

Totally agree, hope Gunter ends up staying for at least one more season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Jul 2019 18:12

Baker was probably the nail in his coffin. In Baker we had a guy who wanted to play , to contribute to the team for the full 90 minutes of the match. Was happy to play in whatever Gomes assigned him too. Baker had far fewer Championship appearances too prior to coming on loan.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jul 2019 18:30

Jagermesiter1871
Chameleon
Jagermesiter1871

I don't get this harshly treated view. He has been told upfront by the manager that he doesn't see him as part of his first team plans and given ample opportunity to find another club before the August deadline.

He has full access to the club facilities to keep fit whilst his agent works on getting him a new club. He is also being paid handsomely to do so. He has also not on tour so as to further give himself a chance to find alternative employment.

If that does not happen, or he chooses not to move, he will have been made aware he is not in tbe 1st team squad at least to start with. Given he fell out of favour last season, I doubt any of this is a shock to him plus at his age, he will want to play not be back up to younger players.

So all in all, Gunter and all the players we are looking to shift have been handled pretty well - it is now up to their well paid agents to get them a move or accept the likelihood they will be paid not to play until at least January, when they could move again.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 10 Jul 2019 18:44

Stranded
Jagermesiter1871
Chameleon

I don't get this harshly treated view. He has been told upfront by the manager that he doesn't see him as part of his first team plans and given ample opportunity to find another club before the August deadline.

He has full access to the club facilities to keep fit whilst his agent works on getting him a new club. He is also being paid handsomely to do so. He has also not on tour so as to further give himself a chance to find alternative employment.

If that does not happen, or he chooses not to move, he will have been made aware he is not in tbe 1st team squad at least to start with. Given he fell out of favour last season, I doubt any of this is a shock to him plus at his age, he will want to play not be back up to younger players.

So all in all, Gunter and all the players we are looking to shift have been handled pretty well - it is now up to their well paid agents to get them a move or accept the likelihood they will be paid not to play until at least January, when they could move again.

I was meaning more harshly treated by the fans.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jul 2019 19:01

Jagermesiter1871
Stranded
Jagermesiter1871

I was meaning more harshly treated by the fans.

In that case, fully on board :-)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2019 19:16

Again not so sure really. Would say he is harshly judged - but a few comments on here and some of the youths on Twitter is about the extent of it

Generally at the ground he is well respected and liked.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2019 20:36

I rate him a lot higher now he isn't playing and I don't have to watch him back off from ten yards away and always control inside to pass to his CB all the time.