Speculation: Ethan Amapadu

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Speculation: Ethan Amapadu

by Zip » 16 Jul 2019 19:15

Victor Meldrew Derby can't have ALL the Chelsea loan players so we might be in with a shout.
A good player in the Nathan Ake mould who would be an improvement on what we have got.
Zip, we need to up our complement of Welsh players with Edwards and Gunter no longer around. :wink:

I'd love to have him at Reading Vic. I have seen him a number of times for Wales and he would be perfect in a CDM role for us. That's where he plays for Wales. He could also play at CB. If we could get Miazga back alongside Moore with Ampadu in front of them I would be very optimistic about our prospects.

I would be astonished if we landed him though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jul 2019 21:43

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
morganb If Chelsea have a connection with Derby, which Prem clubs do Reading have links with? There appears to be a goalkeeping link to Arsenal.

Clement never appeared to bring in players from his old clubs, not Gourlay. And are we likely to get Leicester players as Rodgers was once our manager?

None. But I imagine over the recent years we've had more Chelsea players on loan than any other.

Arsenal would have made sense considering McDermott was their chief scout before coming back the second time and they have Bibbo.

I’d imagine Vitesse would have something to say about that.

Or did you mean we’ve had more loanees from Chelsea than any other club? That’s a decent shout tbf. Bertrand, Chalobah, Ake, Miazga, Baker, Hector, Piazon. Trying to think if there are others.

Sorry. Yes. I meant "than any other club has loaned us".

But Chelsea loan out a butt load of players every year so it's probably most clubs top parent club.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2019 00:23

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth None. But I imagine over the recent years we've had more Chelsea players on loan than any other.

Arsenal would have made sense considering McDermott was their chief scout before coming back the second time and they have Bibbo.

I’d imagine Vitesse would have something to say about that.

Or did you mean we’ve had more loanees from Chelsea than any other club? That’s a decent shout tbf. Bertrand, Chalobah, Ake, Miazga, Baker, Hector, Piazon. Trying to think if there are others.

Sorry. Yes. I meant "than any other club has loaned us".

But Chelsea loan out a butt load of players every year so it's probably most clubs top parent club.

Yeah was gonna say that too :lol:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2019 07:32

This lad has the same number of first team appearances that Omar Richards as.
He’s younger than Danny Loader and the same school year as Olise
People are saying we will struggle if the team is full of inexperienced youngsters
Of course if they are other people’s inexperienced youngsters then that is fine !
He’s a talented player, looks and plays like someone several years older and my point is not anti Ampadu, more that maybe we should credit some of our youngsters with the ability and maturity to make an impact at the same time as being excited that this 18 year old player with 20 + first team appearances (8 for Exeter !) might be the rock on which we build our team for this season.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Jul 2019 09:03

if you're good enough you're old enough...

comparing our youngsters to one of England's (wales) hottest prospects? :|

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2019 09:52

WoodleyRoyal

^^ this, he'd walk into pretty much any Championship side.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2019 09:55

Hendo
WoodleyRoyal

^^ this, he'd walk into pretty much any Championship side.

Add another + to this.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Jul 2019 10:22

You don't win anything with youth, but you might avoid relegation

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Jul 2019 12:25

Nameless This lad has the same number of first team appearances that Omar Richards as.
People are saying we will struggle if the team is full of inexperienced youngsters
Of course if they are other people’s inexperienced youngsters then that is fine !
He’s a talented player, looks and plays like someone several years older and my point is not anti Ampadu, more that maybe we should credit some of our youngsters with the ability and maturity to make an impact at the same time as being excited that this 18 year old player with 20 + first team appearances (8 for Exeter !) might be the rock on which we build our team for this season.

I think this is a fair point. At that start of last season few had ever seen Rimonhota play but he got a chance because of injures and now most fans would pick him as one of the first names on the team sheet. If we don't give young players a chance how will we know if they can step up. McIntyre looks very good to me but if we bring Miazga back - he won't get a look in bar injuries. Olise looks excellent and I think will step up, but there are players like Holsgrove - who might also be very good - that will be blocked if we bring in say Ampadu.

The problem is that fans wants to club to do something/anything. Personally I would love to see if our own youngsters can step up rather than bringing in other clubs youngsters - although I understand that if this does not work it could mean relegation. It is such a risk and why I do expect some players to be added to the squad in the end.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 13:05

andrew1957
Nameless This lad has the same number of first team appearances that Omar Richards as.

I think this is a fair point. At that start of last season few had ever seen Rimonhota play but he got a chance because of injures and now most fans would pick him as one of the first names on the team sheet. If we don't give young players a chance how will we know if they can step up. McIntyre looks very good to me but if we bring Miazga back - he won't get a look in bar injuries. Olise looks excellent and I think will step up, but there are players like Holsgrove - who might also be very good - that will be blocked if we bring in say Ampadu.

The problem is that fans wants to club to do something/anything. Personally I would love to see if our own youngsters can step up rather than bringing in other clubs youngsters - although I understand that if this does not work it could mean relegation. It is such a risk and why I do expect some players to be added to the squad in the end.

Yeah, a player doesn't have to be Wales best prospect or able to walk into any Champ side to do well for us.

We have a top Academy and great prospects. There's no reason to think McIntyre, Olise, Howe etc can't step up and do very well just as Rino did. And no matter how good this kid is, it's no guarantee he'll do well here.

If our lads do well their value rockets and we save money. If he does well then we lose him in a year and have to recruit all over again with no income spike. He may well be worth it, but there other factors to consider beyond ability and reputation

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Jul 2019 13:15

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957

Yeah, a player doesn't have to be Wales best prospect or able to walk into any Champ side to do well for us.

We have a top Academy and great prospects. There's no reason to think McIntyre, Olise, Howe etc can't step up and do very well just as Rino did. And no matter how good this kid is, it's no guarantee he'll do well here.

If our lads do well their value rockets and we save money. If he does well then we lose him in a year and have to recruit all over again with no income spike. He may well be worth it, but there other factors to consider beyond ability and reputation

The question is really where are we looking to play him? The way Gomes wants to play then the right type of holding/deep lying midfielder is essential. Baker was probably our best player in the closing weeks of the season playing in that position but it's worth remembering that wasn't the position he made his reputation at. He was much generally further forward earlier in his career. Of our academy products East and Holsgrove probably are the nearest to what Gomes would want but would it really be an issue if they had a season playing cup games and being in and around the squad whilst someone (albeit of a similar age) but further ahead in their development played for a season instead?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2019 19:24

WoodleyRoyal if you're good enough you're old enough...

Why would we not compare them ? I assume you probably think I was equating them, which is very different .
I wasn’t Saying we shouldn’t get Ampadu, just pointing out that almost all our youngsters have been dismissed by some as too young, too inexperinced yet suddenly another very young, very inexperinced player isn’t seen as the key to our season.
He’s undoubtably a really promising player but we’d be taking a gamble expecting an 18 year old to anchor our midfield for 50 games in the same way we’d be gambling on McIntyre or Olise. But some people seem ok with the gamble on Ampadu and I’m just suggesting maybe we should give our prospects more support. It worked for Rino, it worked for Gylfi....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 19:38

Vision
Snowflake Royal
andrew1957

The question is really where are we looking to play him? The way Gomes wants to play then the right type of holding/deep lying midfielder is essential. Baker was probably our best player in the closing weeks of the season playing in that position but it's worth remembering that wasn't the position he made his reputation at. He was much generally further forward earlier in his career. Of our academy products East and Holsgrove probably are the nearest to what Gomes would want but would it really be an issue if they had a season playing cup games and being in and around the squad whilst someone (albeit of a similar age) but further ahead in their development played for a season instead?

Not at all. And if this guy is great quality and available, let's do it. But let's not write off our own before they've had a chance... which I don't say you would. And let's keep the numbers in small to allow that progression.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jul 2019 21:50

Nameless
WoodleyRoyal if you're good enough you're old enough...

Why would we not compare them ? I assume you probably think I was equating them, which is very different .
I wasn’t Saying we shouldn’t get Ampadu, just pointing out that almost all our youngsters have been dismissed by some as too young, too inexperinced yet suddenly another very young, very inexperinced player isn’t seen as the key to our season.
He’s undoubtably a really promising player but we’d be taking a gamble expecting an 18 year old to anchor our midfield for 50 games in the same way we’d be gambling on McIntyre or Olise. But some people seem ok with the gamble on Ampadu and I’m just suggesting maybe we should give our prospects more support. It worked for Rino, it worked for Gylfi....

This really. Wasn't Ben Woodburn supposed to be one of Wales' hottest prospects? How did that work out at Sheffield United?

Not writing the kid off but if he's only slightly better than our current academy players, why bother developing other youngsters at the expense of ours when it's Chelsea who reap the benefits anyway in the long term? Gomes clearly rates East/Olise so why not give them a shot

Of course signing Ampadu would be a good signing. But if we're constantly signing players at the expense of our own talented academy, it begs the question why do we even bother having an academy?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2019 23:16

Royalwaster You don't win anything with youth, but you might avoid relegation

Well, not sure it’s binary, or needs to be.

I’m hopeful on our kids, as always. It just so happens we really need them right now. Not sure this crop is better than previous one’s, but maybe it is. Gomes has seen them and says we need more players in. Quickly.

He may not plan on being here long (as he hasn’t, at most clubs), which can play against a long term approach. So, maybe he’d he’d prefer a ‘safer’ route in his short-ish tenure (esp as alleged offers for him come in, and he only has 1 year left on deal).

If he goes heavy on youth, by choice or otherwise, he’ll get brownie points initially. But if we then struggle and get relegated, he’ll get slated as losses pile up. Perspective can disappear quickly, from various parties, both at Reading and elsewhere.

One87One

by One87One » 18 Jul 2019 07:21

Time to forget Miazga. A club has come in for him and they’ve been told the asking price is ... £20,000,000.

Interest over.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2019 07:24

Ha saw that. Last year of his contract isn’t he? That’s a ridiculous fee

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 18 Jul 2019 07:50

Hound Ha saw that. Last year of his contract isn’t he? That’s a ridiculous fee

3 years left apparently.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jul 2019 08:48

One87One Time to forget Miazga. A club has come in for him and they’ve been told the asking price is ... £20,000,000.

Interest over.

That is a fee that equates too, we don't want to sell but if you stupid enough to pay 20m then you can have him. Would be surprised if Miazga goes anywhere permanently this summer - he'll spend 12 months somewhere and Chelsea will make a call on him next year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2019 08:49

tbh I was always under the impression he had one year left. If I'd known he still had 3, wouldn't have really considered us getting him back

Suspect he'll be loaned out again to a top division side somewhere