Next seasons kit choice?

5989 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next seasons kit choice?

by muirinho » 16 Jul 2019 16:43

dizzynewheights tbh it sounds like complete horseshit to me. I'm no expert, obvs, but don't these deals usually involve the manufacturer paying the club a lump sum then some agreement being struck on profit share for shirts sold directly by the club :?:

Why on earth would a club pay to get their stock earlier :?: If there was any evidence that this increased sales (and I can't imagine there is any) then it raises the question why your Lutons, your Cambridges, your Coventrys all seem quite happy to cover this surcharge when I don't imagine they're selling any more shirts than we are

I've been told it's to do with staggering the manufacturing - if every club wants their shirt at a particular time, then the shirt manufacturers have a capacity problem. So basically by delaying a bit we're getting off-peak prices (whatever way that works).

Quite possibly your Luton's etc go off-peak in a different way - they finalise the shirt design earlier than most, so that they are actually being manufactured during the previous season.

This may all be hogwash of course, but it does make a kind of sense.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2019 18:19

I wish someone would confirm so we don’t have to go through this routine every June/July on here

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Jul 2019 18:32

Hendo
Maneki Neko 2015 is a gr8 kit

Yep, one of the best Puma attempts.

Not only the best Puma kit but the best collar as well.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Jul 2019 19:34

We are just not very organised behind the scenes. I was at the stadium yesterday and a contractor was pulling down the huge Puma logo from the ED stand. We announced the Macron deal in April; and we play Posh in 7 days time :lol:

We will probably sell more kits and other gear than the last couple of seasons now we have switched supplier. It’s a shame it hasn’t been capitalised on from what appears to either be poor planning or not enough staff to get these things just done and dusted.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jul 2019 19:45

royalp-we We are just not very organised behind the scenes. I was at the stadium yesterday and a contractor was pulling down the huge Puma logo from the ED stand. We announced the Macron deal in April; and we play Posh in 7 days time :lol:

Maybe that was the earliest opportunity the club had to do it, taking in:

- availability of contractor/stadium staff
- when the new logo had been made
- council were happy with H&S paperwork

What’s the point of putting a massive sponsorship logo on a stadium 2 months before anyone’s going to see it?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 Jul 2019 23:39

It’s sponsorship and it’s 20ft tall. I’m sure Macron would have wanted it up ASAP.

Back to my point - both the kit - and the stadium updates - have been left till late.

It was signed in April. You sound like carillion or kier making late payment excuses

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2019 01:42

royalp-we It’s sponsorship and it’s 20ft tall. I’m sure Macron would have wanted it up ASAP.

What so 4 people who have been up to the stadium can see it?

Additionally, the contract with Puma may have only ‘officially’ ended in the last few days. If so, they would’ve been well within their rights to demand their logo stayed on the stadium until the last possible moment.

I’m not trying to make excuses, I’m trying to give reasonable, real-world reasons why things might be happening, not just assuming the worst from the club at every turn, like some people do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 09:09

has anyone seen Huddersfield's new kit for the season? Wow. :lol:

Whatever ours is, it can't be worse than that. Can only think its a joke by Paddy Power...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jul 2019 09:30

Hound has anyone seen Huddersfield's new kit for the season? Wow. :lol:

Whatever ours is, it can't be worse than that. Can only think its a joke by Paddy Power...

Surely it's got to be Paddy Power doing a Paddy Power? It's an absolute monstrosity.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jul 2019 09:31

royalp-we It’s sponsorship and it’s 20ft tall. I’m sure Macron would have wanted it up ASAP.

Back to my point - both the kit - and the stadium updates - have been left till late.

It was signed in April. You sound like carillion or kier making late payment excuses

You sound like the worst kind of Dublin taxi-driver "Sure the country has gone to the dogs, they couldn't organise a piss-up in the brewery", blah blah blah".

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jul 2019 09:49

Its different, I'll give them that :shock:

Although if you look at it, without the massive logo, it would probably be a very nice looking kit.
Last edited by Hendo on 17 Jul 2019 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 17 Jul 2019 09:49

muirinho
Hound has anyone seen Huddersfield's new kit for the season? Wow. :lol:

Surely it's got to be Paddy Power doing a Paddy Power? It's an absolute monstrosity.

Doesn't comply with regulations innit - sponsor can't be more than 250 square centimeters

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Jul 2019 10:17

lol.

yeah,defo shows a lack of organisation not swapping sponsorship miles before a game is played at the stadium.
a week before just isn't long enough!!!!
:|

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Jul 2019 10:38

I've seen some crazy moans on here, a lot of them on this thread but royal pee wee might have just done the best (worst?)

What a thing to be upset about :lol:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Jul 2019 10:42

Hendo

What so 4 people who have been up to the stadium can see it?

Additionally, the contract with Puma may have only ‘officially’ ended in the last few days. If so, they would’ve been well within their rights to demand their logo stayed on the stadium until the last possible moment.

I’m not trying to make excuses, I’m trying to give reasonable, real-world reasons why things might be happening, not just assuming the worst from the club at every turn, like some people do.

I take your point about the Puma contract, I mentioned earlier in the thread that may have been a reason for the delays.

I think you underestimate the exposure though, the TeamGB Rowing team were there the other day, there was hundreds of people at the conference centre. One of many events which have taken place over the summer. It’s also visible from the A33.

I’m not upset about it, merely made an assumption that we are not very organised; and I stand by my view :lol:

One87One

by One87One » 17 Jul 2019 11:31

muirinho
dizzynewheights tbh it sounds like complete horseshit to me. I'm no expert, obvs, but don't these deals usually involve the manufacturer paying the club a lump sum then some agreement being struck on profit share for shirts sold directly by the club :?:

Why on earth would a club pay to get their stock earlier :?: If there was any evidence that this increased sales (and I can't imagine there is any) then it raises the question why your Lutons, your Cambridges, your Coventrys all seem quite happy to cover this surcharge when I don't imagine they're selling any more shirts than we are

I've been told it's to do with staggering the manufacturing - if every club wants their shirt at a particular time, then the shirt manufacturers have a capacity problem. So basically by delaying a bit we're getting off-peak prices (whatever way that works).

Quite possibly your Luton's etc go off-peak in a different way - they finalise the shirt design earlier than most, so that they are actually being manufactured during the previous season.

That is essentially it. You pay a specific tier to have the kit at a certain point. Reading always opt for the cheapest, i.e. latest.

One87One

by One87One » 17 Jul 2019 11:32

Hendo Its different, I'll give them that :shock:

Although if you look at it, without the massive logo, it would probably be a very nice looking kit.

It’s a wind-up. It breaks all sponsor logo rules. It’s just PaddyPower doing what they do best.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 17 Jul 2019 13:23

muirinho

Spot on, the same for all apparel & footwear manufacturing
Factories will have a couple of months a year which are low productivity periods for them so if you go in and offer a guaranteed 200,000 pieces and you're happy to have it landed in July then the factory will give you a better price as they can produce these in their quiet month keeping the production lines running 12 months of the year

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 17 Jul 2019 14:57

well yes but getting a better rate =/= paying a premium which was the point previously being made

Anyway, I've done some research through some unashamedly ITK pals and as I now understand it there's no such late/early premium anyway. These contracts work as so:

[*]Kit manufacturer (KM) provides £X in value in kind of kit/training gear to club. The value of the kit is detailed within the contract but is usually 50% of the retail value

[*]KM will pay the club a % of revenue of kit sold outside of the clubs own means (i.e. the megastore) - usually about 30%

[*]The club will typically have a purchasing obligation over and above the value in kind for which the % bonus also applies

[*]A critical path will be detailed with the contract stipulating deadlines for design work, samples, delivery d8s and so on - as I understand it, the KMs understandably prefer getting the orders confirmed early - and certainly wouldn't look to provide any kind of financial incentive to leave it l8.

Obvs this isn't how your Man Utds and your Real Madrids do things but for a club like Reading this would be pretty standard

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jul 2019 08:53

dizzynewheights well yes but getting a better rate =/= paying a premium which was the point previously being made

Anyway, I've done some research through some unashamedly ITK pals and as I now understand it there's no such late/early premium anyway. These contracts work as so:

[*]Kit manufacturer (KM) provides £X in value in kind of kit/training gear to club. The value of the kit is detailed within the contract but is usually 50% of the retail value

[*]KM will pay the club a % of revenue of kit sold outside of the clubs own means (i.e. the megastore) - usually about 30%

[*]The club will typically have a purchasing obligation over and above the value in kind for which the % bonus also applies

[*]A critical path will be detailed with the contract stipulating deadlines for design work, samples, delivery d8s and so on - as I understand it, the KMs understandably prefer getting the orders confirmed early - and certainly wouldn't look to provide any kind of financial incentive to leave it l8.

Obvs this isn't how your Man Utds and your Real Madrids do things but for a club like Reading this would be pretty standard

KM's typically take around 90% of shirt sale revenue generated. The cubs make their money on the kit deal and sponsorship of the shirt rather than the actual shirt sales.

5989 posts