Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 09:49

Stranded
Hound It looks even more risky now the keeper doesn’t have to play it outside of his area

I’m a big defender of playing out from the back but even for me it looks too much

It looks too much as it is new and you need to get used to it. Back passes always looked risky when that rule first came in.

Possibly true. I get the idea to create as much space as possible in the midfield, and in theory it sounds good, but they were literally passing it across their own 6 yard box - absolutely no margin for error.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Jul 2019 10:34

Hound I’m a big defender

Sign him up Jose!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 10:59

Silver Fox
Hound I’m a big defender

Sign him up Jose!

:)

I'm actually a not very big and pretty shit defender, but still more use to Gomes than Adrian Popa is

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 12:35

Nameless
Snowflake Royal Having watched a couple of friendlies, this would probably be my intended XI for the start of the season if no more Ins/Outs currently.

........................Walker
..Yiadom, Moore, McIntyre, Blackett
...............Rinomhota, Olise
Meite,........... Loader,............... Barrow
....................Novakovich

And I think it could do ok.

Olise would get destroyed playing there. Can’t see any option other than Swift to be honest which would be a waste and far from ideal but better than putting Olise out of position.
Olise is Realistically competing with Loader and Swift for that central role and again hard to see anyone but Swift being first choice. I think Olise might be better off starting on the bench and regularly getting 30 mins to build experience.
Our best 11 playersdon’t quite fit into what seems to be everyone’s Preferred formation

Totally disagree. Swift is a total liability in central midfield, saw him give away the ball in dangerous positions through being an idiot twice just against Sevilla.

By contrast Olise protects the ball well, plays simple and effective passes, covers loads of ground, turns out of trouble, can get away from someone he beats and has excellent awareness.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 12:48

Hound
Stranded
Hound It looks even more risky now the keeper doesn’t have to play it outside of his area

I’m a big defender of playing out from the back but even for me it looks too much

It looks too much as it is new and you need to get used to it. Back passes always looked risky when that rule first came in.

Possibly true. I get the idea to create as much space as possible in the midfield, and in theory it sounds good, but they were literally passing it across their own 6 yard box - absolutely no margin for error.

My problem is it's just so brainless. We were playing out when there were six opposition in our third and everyone was tightly marked. We gave the ball away endlessly because of it and had no purchase on the match.

Yes, the aim is to play out, but if the opposition press high you have to adapt. Mix your game up, as they all push up to press l, all run out and hit it long, set up a few for long kicks.

Make them worry about being caught out over the top if they press high so it disrupts them doing it and their effectiveness.

Instead we play a rigid way, passing each other into trouble until we lose it or have to desperation clear, which gains less ground and guarantees a turnover.

Teams are most vulnerable when they turnover possession and it's like we're deliberately increasing that risk.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Jul 2019 13:06

Maybe, just maybe we're using pre-season to try a few things out. Working out angles and patterns. What might work What might not given this pretty important rule change*

Some times we got caught out. Several times we also sprung the press by passing around it or chipping it into a spare midfielder. We occasionally went long too.

Over analysing games to the degree that some of us are is pretty daft at this juncture tbh. We're just trying out shit at times. We shifted formation several times last night plus Moore, Macintyre and Yiadom all played spells as holding midfielders during the game. I'm pretty sure that's not how we intend to go when the season starts.

* I do wonder if we're going to see more speculative long range shots from teams this season especially against sides that are known to pass out from the back and from sides that favour a high press.?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 13:10

Vision Maybe, just maybe we're using pre-season to try a few things out. Working out angles and patterns. What might work What might not given this pretty important rule change*

Some times we got caught out. Several times we also sprung the press by passing around it or chipping it into a spare midfielder. We occasionally went long too.

Over analysing games to the degree that some of us are is pretty daft at this juncture tbh. We're just trying out shit at times. We shifted formation several times last night plus Moore, Macintyre and Yiadom all played spells as holding midfielders during the game. I'm pretty sure that's not how we intend to go when the season starts.

* I do wonder if we're going to see more speculative long range shots from teams this season especially against sides that are known to pass out from the back and from sides that favour a high press.?
lots of experimentation on show for sure, but it's the continued pattern of what we did, IMO wrong, under Gomes, Stam etc that caused problems, and the lack of adapting to the situation involved that worries me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jul 2019 13:16

Snowflake Royal
Vision Maybe, just maybe we're using pre-season to try a few things out. Working out angles and patterns. What might work What might not given this pretty important rule change*

lots of experimentation on show for sure, but it's the continued pattern of what we did, IMO wrong, under Gomes, Stam etc that caused problems, and the lack of adapting to the situation involved that worries me.

It is the basis and Gomes wants the team to be comfortable with the ball in dangerous positions so that they don't panic and find the right option - which may well be going long. At this stage, there will be times where they get it wrong and that's fine but we did look at other options, we went over the top a couple of times, we spread the ball wide. midfielders turned and ran at the oppostion - all of these options offer variety but drawing the team out, by taking some calculated risks, improves the chance of these options being impactful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 13:36

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

It is the basis and Gomes wants the team to be comfortable with the ball in dangerous positions so that they don't panic and find the right option - which may well be going long. At this stage, there will be times where they get it wrong and that's fine but we did look at other options, we went over the top a couple of times, we spread the ball wide. midfielders turned and ran at the oppostion - all of these options offer variety but drawing the team out, by taking some calculated risks, improves the chance of these options being impactful.

yeah agree its fine to try it out, and will be interesting to see better teams such as Man City do it properly.

Still looks like we have plenty of work to do on it to make it anything other than a very risky option at the moment. Can definitely see it being a massive talking point in our early games

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2019 14:04

Seems Gomes turned down the opportunity to manage a European Champions League club this summer. Speculation on the TTE site that it was Shakhtar.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Looks like the manager has certainly bought into what Mr Dai is trying to do at the club despite the frustrations and he’ll be here until either the Spanish Archer turns up or some really massive opportunity rolls up (and, in all probability, to get that he’s going to have to do more at Reading than just keep them in the 2nd division).

Can’t be much more positive in the battle to convince players to join the club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2019 15:08

Snowflake Royal Having watched a couple of friendlies, this would probably be my intended XI for the start of the season if no more Ins/Outs currently.

Having watched a couple of friendlies, this would probably be my intended XI for the start of the season if no more Ins/Outs currently.

-----------------Virginia
Yiadom--Moore---McIntyre--Blackett
------Rinomhota---Olise
Meite----------SWIFT------------Barrow
---------------Novakovich

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 17 Jul 2019 15:33

Olise would get murdered in that position.

He's 17 and while he looks an amazing talent, he needs to be blooded slowly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 15:45

I rate Olise, Swift and Rino all highly. But the thought of them making up the midfield is one that troubles me greatly

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Jul 2019 16:28

All 3 are gifted players, the balance is just not right. Unless we play 3 CBs I cant see those 3 in the middle working.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 17 Jul 2019 16:34

Reading the Liam Moore interview on twitter just now. It would appear that we are going back to the old way if doing things. Not being held to randsom on signings with either wages or fees and not being backed into a corner with sales. I get the impression with that Jose and Liam are saying that we now have some freedom to bring players in, but they need to be the right player and that may take time. Jose wouldn't be continually talking about signings if we weren't able to do it. He's be keeping quiet and talking more about getting rid of players instead.

He also talks about the owners having loads of money to do deals. If we can just get through this season, then next summer should be quite exciting.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jul 2019 17:04

How about then

GK

Howe
Yiadom
Moore
McIntyre
Blackett

Rino
Swift

Olise

Meite
Barrow

Less impetus on the midfield trio this way because we have five defenders. Enables us to fit Howe and Yiadom in there quite easily and gives us a good right foot left foot balance in the team

Barrow and Meite have a good partnership as a two up top, and then we can have the likes of Nova, Loader and Barrett on the bench if we need to change it up. Let’s be honest, we don’t have many natural wide players in this moment in time

Not a fan of playing five at the back but it could be a natural solution to some of our current problems

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2019 19:12

URZZZZ How about then

GK

Howe
Yiadom
Moore
McIntyre
Blackett

Rino
Swift

Olise

Meite
Barrow

Less impetus on the midfield trio this way because we have five defenders. Enables us to fit Howe and Yiadom in there quite easily and gives us a good right foot left foot balance in the team

Barrow and Meite have a good partnership as a two up top, and then we can have the likes of Nova, Loader and Barrett on the bench if we need to change it up. Let’s be honest, we don’t have many natural wide players in this moment in time

Not a fan of playing five at the back but it could be a natural solution to some of our current problems

You've goosed that one up already. We have a 6ftsomething left footed defender and you want to play Yiadom as the 3rd CB? Yes I know Gones did it a few times but he didnt have Obita anywhere near fitness. Swap em.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2019 19:27

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Olise would get destroyed playing there. Can’t see any option other than Swift to be honest which would be a waste and far from ideal but better than putting Olise out of position.
Olise is Realistically competing with Loader and Swift for that central role and again hard to see anyone but Swift being first choice. I think Olise might be better off starting on the bench and regularly getting 30 mins to build experience.
Our best 11 playersdon’t quite fit into what seems to be everyone’s Preferred formation

Totally disagree. Swift is a total liability in central midfield, saw him give away the ball in dangerous positions through being an idiot twice just against Sevilla.

By contrast Olise protects the ball well, plays simple and effective passes, covers loads of ground, turns out of trouble, can get away from someone he beats and has excellent awareness.

Not basing my assessment just on the Sevilla game to be honest.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jul 2019 19:34

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ How about then

GK

Howe
Yiadom
Moore
McIntyre
Blackett

Rino
Swift

Olise

Meite
Barrow

You've goosed that one up already. We have a 6ftsomething left footed defender and you want to play Yiadom as the 3rd CB? Yes I know Gones did it a few times but he didnt have Obita anywhere near fitness. Swap em.

It’s a fair point but I’ve been so impressed by Howe (albeit on a limited basis) that I wanted to fit him in. Right now anyway I don’t think Obita is close to fitness

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2019 19:49

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ How about then

GK

Howe
Yiadom
Moore
McIntyre
Blackett

Rino
Swift

Olise

Meite
Barrow

It’s a fair point but I’ve been so impressed by Howe (albeit on a limited basis) that I wanted to fit him in. Right now anyway I don’t think Obita is close to fitness

You could extrapolate from my point that it would be more beneficial to get Blackett comfortable playing as a CB rather than have him switch between.

I doubt well often play with a back 3 anyway but should we I would hope Blackett is moved in. I'd rather have Yiadom in RB and play Richard's on the left if it comes to it.

1826 posts