Will Gomes stay?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Will Gomes stay?

by Stranded » 17 Jul 2019 12:16

Wycombe Royal
windermereROYAL
Stranded Well Tim Dellor has tweeted this morning that Gomes told him that he turned down a job at a "European Champions League" club to see the job through - if true good to hear but also suggests he wouldn't be short of suitors if he decides to walk.

would have been one of these.
Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), PAOK (Greece), KRC Genk (Belgium), Club Brugge (Belgium), İstanbul Başakşehir (Turkey), LASK Linz (Austria), FK Partizani (Albania) and F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg).

PAOK would be my guess.....

Given Shakhtar went with Luis Castro it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Gomes as well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2019 14:08

Stranded
Wycombe Royal
windermereROYAL
would have been one of these.
Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), PAOK (Greece), KRC Genk (Belgium), Club Brugge (Belgium), İstanbul Başakşehir (Turkey), LASK Linz (Austria), FK Partizani (Albania) and F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg).

PAOK would be my guess.....

Given Shakhtar went with Luis Castro it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Gomes as well.

TTE do indeed speculate it was Shakhtar for that very reason. Whoever it was, it can’t be much more positive news for the club and players

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2019 14:37

paddy20 We have a great manager that seems to care.

Jury still out?
'Great' is oft over-used, but a bit early for me to label him that. He's only been here 20-odd games?
And as I recall, quite a few thought his prior record was a joke (including Tim Dellor).
Not too sure how much Gomes really 'cares' about us, either. He's never been anywhere for very long?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Jul 2019 14:58

Sutekh
Stranded
Wycombe Royal PAOK would be my guess.....

TTE do indeed speculate it was Shakhtar for that very reason. Whoever it was, it can’t be much more positive news for the club and players

Positive mind games for our youngsters to give them a confidence boost? A ploy worthy of Jose's more famous namesake.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 17 Jul 2019 16:32

You can see the frustrations growing... depleting squad with no further signings seemingly close. Couldn’t blame Jose for leaving if he was misold the challenge here.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2019 16:48

mikey0406 You can see the frustrations growing... depleting squad with no further signings seemingly close. Couldn’t blame Jose for leaving if he was misold the challenge here.

Well, he presumably isn't overly-familiar with English Summer transfer windows, and the time frames and delays therein. I could see how he might get frustrated with that (as do many other people).
His statement that we'd get players in very quickly seemed a tad hopeful to me, esp in our financial plight. Maybe he believed it, maybe he didn't, maybe he misunderstood some things, or some things unexpectedly hit a snag or fell thru, but it seemed a bit optimistic at the time.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Jul 2019 12:56

mikey0406 You can see the frustrations growing... depleting squad with no further signings seemingly close. Couldn’t blame Jose for leaving if he was misold the challenge here.

Pretty sure he knew what he was getting into.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 Jul 2019 13:23

Yeah he knew what the situation is.

It would be a pretty shitty thing to do if he does walk. Both to the fans and our young players as we have a massive challenge ahead.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 18 Jul 2019 14:54

royalp-we Yeah he knew what the situation is.

It would be a pretty shitty thing to do if he does walk. Both to the fans and our young players as we have a massive challenge ahead.

I agree

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 18 Jul 2019 16:06

The club as a while has been pretty naive here. They should have known that there would be little to no interest in our aging and over paid players. Gomes was confident that all word be resolved within 2 weeks of the season ending FFS.

Then to basically alienate them by leaving them out on the tour, leaving us with a probable group of kids for the start of the season was just stupid.

I agree they need to go, but surely having them onside would have been the better outcome to all this, then if a bid came in, off they go.

Completely miss managed all round.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jul 2019 11:01

its pretty clear that he had no idea of th eextent of our financial issues, and certainly wouldn't have known there would be anything like a transfer embargo as a result

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2019 11:16

No way Gomes will walk away from a decent contract. Only way I see him going is if another club come in for him such as Sheffield Wednesday or a European side. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest for doing it if an offer came in. We would then end up with Parky who will try and get the team to hoofball our way to league safety whilst Ady Williams and Tim Dellor felate him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 13:00

Maneki Neko its pretty clear that he had no idea of th eextent of our financial issues, and certainly wouldn't have known there would be anything like a transfer embargo as a result

Bollocks. We signed 5 loanees in January at virtually no outlay, with no actual transfers. And he said in advance of the summer we may have to give players away to get them off the books.

He knew the deal. He might not have appreciated how hard it would be to shift out dross, but that would be his own naivity, not a lack of knowledge about our position.

He could be justifiably pissed if the owners have refused offers for players that he'd be willing to sell that would enable him to bring someone else in... or frustrated at how hard this is, but not that he'd been misled or didn't know our position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 13:13

Tbh he hardly had a stellar managerial record before he came here

The chance to keep Reading up with a youth side and promises of riches to come if he does next season should be a motivation to stay

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:02

Yeah, anyone who has read / seen interviews with him knows he's absolutely desperate to manage in England and in particular the PL. His best route to that is having a good season with us.

Newcastle will likely be looking again in January, and given his hero is Bobby Robson I reckon he'd go there in a flash. Get us midtable and he might get an offer.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jul 2019 00:02

Denver Royal

Jury still out?
'Great' is oft over-used, but a bit early for me to label him that. He's only been here 20-odd games?
And as I recall, quite a few thought his prior record was a joke (including Tim Dellor).
Not too sure how much Gomes really 'cares' about us, either. He's never been anywhere for very long?

When he was interviewed by The Tilehurst End it all makes sense. Also, when you look at the Wikipedia list a LARGE number of those clubs are as an assistant or a coach.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jul 2019 00:48

We’re going up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 07:25

maffff
Denver Royal

Jury still out?

When he was interviewed by The Tilehurst End it all makes sense. Also, when you look at the Wikipedia list a LARGE number of those clubs are as an assistant or a coach.

I've seen this, 'a lot of his previous clubs were as an assistant or coach' a few times. But it doesn't really change that his managerial record wasn't impressive and he hasn't stayed anywhere long. It's not like we're his second or third professional management job, it's more like 5th or 6th.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jul 2019 12:48

Gomes being quoted by the Portuguese press as not being at all happy.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/reading-manag ... pC_QOfpePI

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2019 13:38

windermereROYAL Gomes being quoted by the Portuguese press as not being at all happy.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/reading-manag ... pC_QOfpePI

Yep clearly not at all happy. Time will tell but longevity at any one club has not not been Gomes forte. He may be gone quicker than we all think.