Pre season tour

603 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pre season tour

by URZZZZ » 16 Jul 2019 20:40

Snowflake Royal No 2 looked exactly like Yiadom so much so I'dtestify in Court to it being him! No way it was Watson.

Who was 17... looked enthusiastic... could have sworn it looked like Barrett but Barrett was supposed to be 21.... was one of them Frost?

Much better 2nd half, though still gave it away way too easily in our third.

Olise and Rinomhota look a class above. Though Olise will get a lot less time and more physical challenges in the Champ... but fast playing himself into first choice No 10 in that roaming central position. In fact I'd play him alongside Rino ahead of Swift!

McIntyre settled down once back in defence, though still hairy whilst Moore was in midfield and Osho / Odimayo / Richards were at RCB. Camera was too far away and I'm not familiar enough with them to be sure...

Once "I'm positive it was Yiadom" came on and Moore slotted back into a conventional back 4 of Howe (who also looks good), Moore, McIntyre, Blackett we looked better.

Blackett was having one of his very casual days.

Good penalty from Loader. Meite worked hard but some of his crossing, and his finishing, was woeful.

Agree with pretty much every word although I’m pretty sure Richards never for on the pitch

Olise was the best player on the park with Rino close behind. Blackett and Méïte were disappointing, Meite still unable to master the basics of passing

17 was Frost I think but he was only on for 5 minutes I think

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2019 20:43

17 as Frost would make sense as I do think he and Barrett look a fair bit alike.

If it was Osho in defence... I'm not impressed. Looked very clumsy and plenty of loose passing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jul 2019 20:46

Snowflake Royal 17 as Frost would make sense as I do think he and Barrett look a fair bit alike.

If it was Osho in defence... I'm not impressed. Looked very clumsy and plenty of loose passing.

That’s disappointing. I thought Osho did really well against Boro last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2019 21:04

Some of these lads have already played 90mins today which is a bit of a caveat

Watched about 15m in the first half and we looked pretty terrible, but sounds like we got better

And another win and clean sheet & goal for Loader so a good nights work

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jul 2019 21:06

Zip
Snowflake Royal 17 as Frost would make sense as I do think he and Barrett look a fair bit alike.

Tbf he was only on for twenty minutes today and at that time we seemed to be playing a really strange unnatural formation. Right now this is what I’d pick for the opening game

Virginia

Howe
Moore
McIntyre
Yiadom

Rino
Swift

Olise
Loader
Barrow

Novakovich

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jul 2019 21:13

URZZZZ
Zip

Tbf he was only on for twenty minutes today and at that time we seemed to be playing a really strange unnatural formation. Right now this is what I’d pick for the opening game

Virginia

Howe
Moore
McIntyre
Yiadom

Rino
Swift

Olise
Loader
Barrow

Novakovich

That’s similar to Ian’s selection and given the current squad this is not going to be far away although I would hope we would have a centre back and CDM by then. Oh hang on. No Meite. Got to disagree on that one. He has to start even if his current form is a bit sloppy.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jul 2019 21:17

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Virginia

Howe
Moore
McIntyre
Yiadom

Rino
Swift

Olise
Loader
Barrow

Novakovich

That’s similar to Ian’s selection and given the current squad this is not going to be far away although I would hope we would have a centre back and CDM by then. Oh hang on. No Meite. Got to disagree on that one. He has to start even if his current form is a bit sloppy.

You probably know by now my feelings on Meite but it was a tough call between him and Loader, I know Loader won the penalty this game and scored it but thought between today and Saturday, he has been slightly anonymous so maybe Meite RW and Olise CAM. Fine either way really

If we don’t have a new CM, I could see Yiadom playing there regularly, then putting Blackett out to LB. Been really impressed by Howe so far so think he should keep the RB spot for now

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jul 2019 21:22

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Virginia

Howe
Moore
McIntyre
Yiadom

Rino
Swift

Olise
Loader
Barrow

Novakovich

You probably know by now my feelings on Meite but it was a tough call between him and Loader, I know Loader won the penalty this game and scored it but thought between today and Saturday, he has been slightly anonymous so maybe Meite RW and Olise CAM. Fine either way really

If we don’t have a new CM, I could see Yiadom playing there regularly, then putting Blackett out to LB. Been really impressed by Howe so far so think he should keep the RB spot for now

Howe does have a decent chance of starting in the opening game of the season. McIntyre less so as I would expect a new CB to come in over the next couple of weeks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jul 2019 21:38

Pleased to see Howe doing well - liked him from the first time I saw him play in the U23s

I’d stick with Yiadom/Blackett as FBs to start though. Howe will get plenty of game time through the season

New CB and Moore with McIntyre as back up

Rino Swift and a new mid. If not Olise though I’d like to hold him back a little

Meite Barrow Loader up front

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2019 22:01

Thing is, Loader just can't lead the line. He will get totally bullied and give us no outs. He's not going to hold it up. He naturally drops deeper and it will give us no presence at all and no one to cross to.

Meite is obviously an option there, but he's clearly preferred on the right and gives us a different ball to mix up our attacks... plus he can drift in and attack crosses to the far post well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2019 07:40

Yes possibly correct. It depends how he has developed over pre season etc

Was debating between him and Novakovich leading the line - would be happy enough with either

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2019 07:47

Ian is right, Loader is not a number 9. If we got clever and played the false number 9 then ok. Having him, Olise and Barrett as a flexible front 3 worked to some extent against Birmingham but can’t see that formation working all season and obviously it excluded Meite and Barrow
Loader is besT with the ball at his feet running at defenders, not with his back to goal, not with the ball in the air.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 17 Jul 2019 17:47

Loader is and always has been a no 9. It's whether he's a good one that's the question.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2019 09:35

got round to watching the highlights on twitter

Walker is looking good.
Some nice stuff from Barrett and Loader
Baldock should have scored two, but good to see him getting behind the defence
Holsgrove looks a bit of a star to me. Great dead balls, and a lovely through ball for Baldock. Not quite sure where his best position will be and if he could stand up to being a CM in the first 11, but he is ahead of East from the small bits I've seen. Left footed to give a bit of balance as well

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jul 2019 09:50

Hound got round to watching the highlights on twitter

Walker is looking good.
Holsgrove looks a bit of a star to me. Great dead balls, and a lovely through ball for Baldock. Not quite sure where his best position will be and if he could stand up to being a CM in the first 11, but he is ahead of East from the small bits I've seen. Left footed to give a bit of balance as well

You only saw the highlights, I doubt they showed any of the half dozen times at least where we gave the ball away in our own final third by fannying around. good teams will punish us mercylessly if repeated during the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2019 10:12

windermereROYAL

Walker is looking good.

You only saw the highlights, I doubt they showed any of the half dozen times at least where we gave the ball away in our own final third by fannying around. good teams will punish us mercylessly if repeated during the season.

not sure how that relates to any of my points tbh. But yeah did watch some of the 'fannying about', and there's a bit of a discussion on it in one of the other threads, can't remember which

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Jul 2019 10:25

Hound
windermereROYAL

Walker is looking good.

not sure how that relates to any of my points tbh. But yeah did watch some of the 'fannying about', and there's a bit of a discussion on it in one of the other threads, can't remember which

Should know by now Hound WR is our resident pessimist/grump.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jul 2019 10:42

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound
windermereROYAL

I`ll have you know I`m quite a cheerful chappy, i tell it as I see it, if we play well i will say it, just stating concerns doesnt make me a `grump`

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Jul 2019 12:52

windermereROYAL
Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound

I`ll have you know I`m quite a cheerful chappy, i tell it as I see it, if we play well i will say it, just stating concerns doesnt make me a `grump`

That was a bit of a grumpy reply. :wink: :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2019 17:16

"Just telling it how I see it" also classic grump excuse

603 posts