1826 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 19:52

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Olise would get destroyed playing there. Can’t see any option other than Swift to be honest which would be a waste and far from ideal but better than putting Olise out of position.
Olise is Realistically competing with Loader and Swift for that central role and again hard to see anyone but Swift being first choice. I think Olise might be better off starting on the bench and regularly getting 30 mins to build experience.
Our best 11 playersdon’t quite fit into what seems to be everyone’s Preferred formation

Totally disagree. Swift is a total liability in central midfield, saw him give away the ball in dangerous positions through being an idiot twice just against Sevilla.

By contrast Olise protects the ball well, plays simple and effective passes, covers loads of ground, turns out of trouble, can get away from someone he beats and has excellent awareness.

Not basing my assessment just on the Sevilla game to be honest.

Nor am I, hence the 'just'. Swift is consistently a disaster unless played behind a striker.

Hound etc. Obvs I'd prefer an actual midfielder to partner Rino, but I haven't seen enough of East to have confidence, whilst I've seen more of Olise and in his preseason and last couple of league games he's looked totally at home and hard working enough to have the best chance of pulling it off. I'm not asking him to be tough tackling DM, just work alongside Rino, hassle keep it simple and let him do the dirty work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2019 19:54

Don't think there's any sign we're going to adapt our shape to our limitations chaps.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Jul 2019 21:35

It’s a massive risk to ask a 17 year old not only to adapt to a more physical and pressured level of football but to also ask him to play in a position that he is not familiar with.
While Olise may cope I think it could also really set him back.
It would mean him playing a more disciplined role and limit his attacking opportunities.
It might work, players do change positions, players do thrive on challenges but I’m not convinced it’s the right thing for the team or the individual. I’m prepared to be convinced and if it did work it would be superb......the downside is significant though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jul 2019 21:40

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth You've goosed that one up already. We have a 6ftsomething left footed defender and you want to play Yiadom as the 3rd CB? Yes I know Gones did it a few times but he didnt have Obita anywhere near fitness. Swap em.

It’s a fair point but I’ve been so impressed by Howe (albeit on a limited basis) that I wanted to fit him in. Right now anyway I don’t think Obita is close to fitness

You could extrapolate from my point that it would be more beneficial to get Blackett comfortable playing as a CB rather than have him switch between.

I doubt well often play with a back 3 anyway but should we I would hope Blackett is moved in. I'd rather have Yiadom in RB and play Richard's on the left if it comes to it.

I wonder if the 5 at the back contain formation we used in some instances last season was just merely to try and pick up points against the bigger teams or whether it's a permanent tactic Gomes will use against the so called "bigger teams" away from home

Never been a fan of the formation long term as I think it stifles creativity (cough cough Huddersfield) but it can do the job in certain situations where you become desperate. Right now, with our midfield being the way it is in terms of physicality and strength, I think we will need to start looking at alternatives should the unthinkable happen and we don't get any midfielders in

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:27

Well. We signed a CB. Michael Morrison. Hmm.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Jul 2019 15:30

NewCorkSeth Well. We signed a CB. Michael Morrison. Hmm.

Anyone know much about him? Was he even rumoured to be coming? Seems to have come out of no where.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:32

Now have Michael Morrison to add to the ranks.
Good solid signing imo ex brum captain experienced free transfer

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:33

Jagermesiter1871

Anyone know much about him? Was he even rumoured to be coming? Seems to have come out of no where.

Def came out of nowhere. I didnt even know he had been released.

I know very little about him other than hes obviously decent enough given how long hes been in the championship but I have asked my Birmingham city supporters friend for some info.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:36

Sounds like a solid signing. Twitter comments include a lot of positive comments from Brum fans along with the condescending "he can do better than Reading" comments which I'll take as a positive. Plenty of experiencing and leadership in a squad likely to rely upon youth. Overall very pleased. I'm not surprised he has left Brum; they truly are the basket case of the division off the pitch.

He sounds like a bit of an old school strong CB. We'll see how it fits with Gomes' preferred style. I expect we'll see more pragmatism in playing style from Gomes this season as we saw last season at times. When we've flushed out the financial mess Gourlay has left behind, maybe then we'll see signings to suit the possession game.

I assume he'll be first choice alongside Moore. Throw in McIntyre, Osho, Holmes and Blackett as cover options and we're looking well set at CB. I think we need bare minimum 3 more signings: 2 in midfield and 1 striker.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 19 Jul 2019 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jul 2019 15:38

a good sensible signing that ticks a lot of the required boxes

can he fanny about at the back, though?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 19 Jul 2019 15:39

Exactly that. We need 2 central midfielders (Baker + someone more able to play defensively) and a striker.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:43

Maneki Neko a good sensible signing that ticks a lot of the required boxes

can he fanny about at the back, though?

No according to my mate. He said he used to dread watching him try to play it out from the back. But hes good at scoring fron set pieces. That makes 1 in our team.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2019 15:46

Jagermesiter1871

Judging by the Brum fans reaction to him leaving, it seems a pretty smart bit of business

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jul 2019 15:51

More than happy with this. Solid defender who did well last season with Brum - who were doing well themselves until it became clear they were getting a points deduction.

We've added a player with over 500 appearances and 2 L1 titles to his name, whose club didn't want him to go for nothing and still at a decent age for a CB - very little to not be happy about here. He may be a more pragmatic defender but think that will give a good balance to our back line.

Clearly a threat from set pieces as well which is a bonus.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:53

Just had a thought. We dont actually need 2 of our CBs to be able to play it forward do we? I mean Moore is *alright* with the ball af his feet so cant we just funnel it through him and the full backs and have Morrison play a covering role?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 16:16

yeah will need a bit of adaption. Oppo Teams will clearly try to get him on the ball if we are playing out. Moore is decent at picking up the ball and spreading it out wide etc, just struggles when he has to pass it forward.

Realistically Miazga just wasn't an option. He is too good for this division, and we were very lucky to pick him up last year

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 16:22

It will make having a player like Baker all the more important. Someone to sit deep, good on and off the ball, decent tackler and has a wide range of passing.

God that's actually asking a lot. Remind me why Baker isnt being snapped up by a club like Brighton or Burnley right now?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 16:29

NewCorkSeth It will make having a player like Baker all the more important. Someone to sit deep, good on and off the ball, decent tackler and has a wide range of passing.

God that's actually asking a lot. Remind me why Baker isnt being snapped up by a club like Brighton or Burnley right now?

because he was awful for Boro and Leeds. But yeah, would fit in like a dream here again

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 16:39

Hound
NewCorkSeth It will make having a player like Baker all the more important. Someone to sit deep, good on and off the ball, decent tackler and has a wide range of passing.

because he was awful for Boro and Leeds. But yeah, would fit in like a dream here again

I said when last season finished, of all the loanees Baker would be my first choice to bring back. It may not be impossible; the Boro and Leeds spells mean I can't see Chelsea setting up a Premier League loan following a couple of good months last year. Bring him back where he flourished and let him kick on!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 16:45

Know very little about this chap so looked him up on Whoscored.

31 and made 43 starts for Brum last season. TiCK.
Scored 7 goals. TICK
One assist. TICK
7 yellows and no reds. That's fine.
Pass success 64%. Not great for playing out.
1.3 tackles a game
1.2 interceptions a game
5.5 clearances a game
0.5 blocks a game
0.6 dribbled round a game
0.8 fouls a game
0.1 Dispossessed a game
0.4 unsuccessful touches a game.

It's looking like a pretty excellent signing on a free and one/ two year deal to me based just on that.

1826 posts