CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by Zip » 19 Jul 2019 17:56

Denver Royal
CountryRoyal
Apparently Reading like to pass it round the back, so they’re fecked.

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read ... sg-2712554

Doesn’t sound like a Jose signing tbf.

Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

If he scored seven goals last season it suggests he is very useful at set pieces. Brum were pretty solid last season so he may well better in the air than his height suggests.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 18:10

Zip
Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

If he scored seven goals last season it suggests he is very useful at set pieces. Brum were pretty solid last season so he may well better in the air than his height suggests.

Won 4.2 aerial duels a game last year. Not far behind Miazga on the aerial stats at all.

Ideally he’d be a few inches taller but if he makes up for it through a strong leap etc not really a problem

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 18:11

Hound
Zip
Denver Royal Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.

Won 4.2 aerial duels a game last year. Not far behind Miazga on the aerial stats at all.

Ideally he’d be a few inches taller but if he makes up for it through a strong leap etc not really a problem

Hopefully he can leap like a salmon.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 18:16

And unlike many of our recent signings/loanees stay out off of the physio bench

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jul 2019 18:23

AthleticoSpizz And unlike many of our recent signings/loanees stay out off of the physio bench

His playing record is very good in that respect. He has played 30 to 40 odd Lesgue games nearly every season as a pro.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 18:27

Zip
AthleticoSpizz And unlike many of our recent signings/loanees stay out off of the physio bench

His playing record is very good in that respect. He has played 30 to 40 odd Lesgue games nearly every season as a pro.
excellent!

He sounds too good.....very happy with this

Welcome to Reading Michael

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 18:27

CountryRoyal Hopefully he can leap like a salmon.

7 goals sounds useful. Hopefully Moore takes notes.
Indeed, will be interested to see how this bloke compares with Moore, period.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2019 19:45

Solid, experienced, unspectacular signing. Just what we need really.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 20:05

Elm Park Kid Sounds like a good partner for Moore.

Maybe a smokescreen. Now sign Heneghan, and then sell Moore for 10 mil and get his high wages off our books :P

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 19 Jul 2019 20:16

At the moment we are desperate for bodies, so getting someone proven at this level for free is great news. Don't know much about him, and comments suggest he might not be great on the ball, but we can get a ball-playing centre back next season for the Jose system, this season will be another scrap.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 20:32

Were Sonks and Ivar good on the ball?

Amongst their defensive duties, they knew where the net was too.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 20:37

AthleticoSpizz Were Sonks and Ivar good on the ball?

We didn’t play a style which necessitated that they were, though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 20:38

So, maybe next season, nor will we?

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 19 Jul 2019 21:18

So does this mean we will be ditching Sweet Caroline for Return of the Mac?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jul 2019 21:27

Probably Jim Morrison tbf

People are strange

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 19 Jul 2019 21:43

Solid if a little unspectacular. One of my BCFC supporting colleagues reckons he’s decent on the ball. Miazga wasn’t exactly Beckenbauer. Handy source of goals too.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Jul 2019 22:01

3points Solid if a little unspectacular. One of my BCFC supporting colleagues reckons he’s decent on the ball. Miazga wasn’t exactly Beckenbauer. Handy source of goals too.

He is very confident on the ball. I know he is 31 but I think this is a brilliant signing. Very positive.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2019 22:02

The thing is it’s not about being “decent” on the ball as a centre half. Ilori was so called “decent on the ball” and played so many clangers it was unreal. Hector too

It’s about making the right decision on when to stick and when to twist. Moore isn’t great at this. Hopefully Morrison will have the experience to know when to go short and when to go a bit longer. Dare I say this was one of O’Shea’s redeeming features - he had a good footballing brain on the ball

I doubt when McShane joined people would classify him as being “decent” on the ball. But he was probably one of the first three names under Stam and he played consistently well even with the possession style. Because he had the nous of when to stick and when to twist

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2019 22:08

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

Meh. I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Ilori is 6ft3 but rarely won aerial duels as he didnt go up for them. Moore wins aerial duels because he fights for them. All reports indicate Morrison is a battler and wins his fair share of aerial duels. I mean he scored from 6 corners last season. That's rarely accidental.

I wouldn't worry just yet.

I think you need specific height in the CB role or height in different areas over the pitch. Right now the front 6 could easily include Loader, Barrow, Swift, Rino, Olise (I.e lack of height). We have Meite, granted, but there’s a real lack of height elsewhere

For example in our three most successful champ seasons. We had Kitson help defend set pieces, we had Yann (he was fantastic at this), our 2011/12 season we had height in pretty much every position (Ledge, Kebe, Pearce, Gorkss, Hunt was a real asset in the air). Last year we seemed a bit on the small side, certainly compared to other teams, and we were susceptible to set pieces

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 22:39

NewCorkSeth I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Heh, not sure Warnock heard you. He just signed Aiden Flint, and could have saved some money by signing aMorrison instead.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 19 Jul 2019 22:58, edited 1 time in total.