CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 22:53

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

Meh. I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Ilori is 6ft3 but rarely won aerial duels as he didnt go up for them. Moore wins aerial duels because he fights for them. All reports indicate Morrison is a battler and wins his fair share of aerial duels. I mean he scored from 6 corners last season. That's rarely accidental.

I wouldn't worry just yet.

I think you need specific height in the CB role or height in different areas over the pitch. Right now the front 6 could easily include Loader, Barrow, Swift, Rino, Olise (I.e lack of height). We have Meite, granted, but there’s a real lack of height elsewhere

For example in our three most successful champ seasons. We had Kitson help defend set pieces, we had Yann (he was fantastic at this), our 2011/12 season we had height in pretty much every position (Ledge, Kebe, Pearce, Gorkss, Hunt was a real asset in the air). Last year we seemed a bit on the small side, certainly compared to other teams, and we were susceptible to set pieces

Meite, Loader and Swift are the same height. All 6ft. Olise is 5ft11 according to the internet.

Do you have any facts to back up the feeling that we were suceptable to set pieces? Because I bet we conceded about the same as our 2011/12 season from corners and indirect free kicks.

Height is a myth in football. Yes it's nice to have a tall player (like Cooper) but it doesn't mean you concede less from set pieces. There is no statistical data to back up that claim and I am frankly sick of hearing about it.

No offense meant..

Someone needs to do an in depth study of goals conceded to show this myth as bollocks. Some if the most successful CBs have been below 6ft. And before you get started on "it's the championship" argument just don't. Football is football.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Jul 2019 23:30

Thought Brum were a decent outfit last season and their fans seem to rate him (but not us :P ) so it looks a good signing on the back of a solid pre- season for the defence.

In fact, despite the lack of signings and the blind panic it seems to be causing in some quarters, everything looks much better at this stage in proceedings than for longer than I can recall.

Increasingly we look like a team regardless of the date on their respective birth certificates and if Morrison is the last one through the door before the season gets underway, so be it. Frankly, I'd take this manager and the current squad over at least the previous 3 if not a few more.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2019 23:32

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Meh. I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Ilori is 6ft3 but rarely won aerial duels as he didnt go up for them. Moore wins aerial duels because he fights for them. All reports indicate Morrison is a battler and wins his fair share of aerial duels. I mean he scored from 6 corners last season. That's rarely accidental.

I think you need specific height in the CB role or height in different areas over the pitch. Right now the front 6 could easily include Loader, Barrow, Swift, Rino, Olise (I.e lack of height). We have Meite, granted, but there’s a real lack of height elsewhere

For example in our three most successful champ seasons. We had Kitson help defend set pieces, we had Yann (he was fantastic at this), our 2011/12 season we had height in pretty much every position (Ledge, Kebe, Pearce, Gorkss, Hunt was a real asset in the air). Last year we seemed a bit on the small side, certainly compared to other teams, and we were susceptible to set pieces

Meite, Loader and Swift are the same height. All 6ft. Olise is 5ft11 according to the internet.

Do you have any facts to back up the feeling that we were suceptable to set pieces? Because I bet we conceded about the same as our 2011/12 season from corners and indirect free kicks.

Height is a myth in football. Yes it's nice to have a tall player (like Cooper) but it doesn't mean you concede less from set pieces. There is no statistical data to back up that claim and I am frankly sick of hearing about it.

No offense meant..

Someone needs to do an in depth study of goals conceded to show this myth as bollocks. Some if the most successful CBs have been below 6ft. And before you get started on "it's the championship" argument just don't. Football is football.

It’s not just about the defensive set pieces though. Our CB’s scored a combined tally of 2 goals in 46 games. That’s awful. And yeah it’s not a defenders job to score goals. But you still expect them to “chip in”. After all, set pieces can be worth a lot of points through the course of the season. For the record, would like to see how many corners Millwall scored with Cooper and Cardiff the season before to see if it really is a “myth”

On the defensive side of it, we conceded from a corner in five successive games earlier this season. Again, that’s just awful. Of course, how much you can attribute that to height is questionable, there are other factors. The point being though is that, a taller team doesn’t do that. We regularly went into games with Kelly, Swift and Bacuna in midfield, with the likes of Aluko and Sims. And we were constantly bullied. In these situations you really need your bully boys at the back. We don’t seem to have that sort of tough character, possibly Moore aside

And you’re right. Height is a loose way of putting it. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re good in the air. But it certainly helps being tall

By the way I’m not saying “you have to be tall to be a good centre half”, not at all. It’s a collective comment that height is generally needed in the side somewhere and CB is traditionally that area

You can even look at City and Pep. First season, he had a hard time, they conceded countless set pieces. Second season he bought Mendy, Walker, Gundogan, Laporte (players with more height), they cut out the basic goals conceded and steamrolled their way to the title. Even a couple of days ago he said one reason he signed Rodri was for “his height”

So having a tall team doesn’t equal success. But it’s one of the factors IMO that can contribute to success. I can see you probably won’t change your mind though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 23:47

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

No offense meant..

It’s not just about the defensive set pieces though. Our CB’s scored a combined tally of 2 goals in 46 games. That’s awful. And yeah it’s not a defenders job to score goals. But you still expect them to “chip in”. After all, set pieces can be worth a lot of points through the course of the season. For the record, would like to see how many corners Millwall scored with Cooper and Cardiff the season before to see if it really is a “myth”

On the defensive side of it, we conceded from a corner in five successive games earlier this season. Again, that’s just awful. Of course, how much you can attribute that to height is questionable, there are other factors. The point being though is that, a taller team doesn’t do that. We regularly went into games with Kelly, Swift and Bacuna in midfield, with the likes of Aluko and Sims. And we were constantly bullied. In these situations you really need your bully boys at the back. We don’t seem to have that sort of tough character, possibly Moore aside

And you’re right. Height is a loose way of putting it. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re good in the air. But it certainly helps being tall

By the way I’m not saying “you have to be tall to be a good centre half”, not at all. It’s a collective comment that height is generally needed in the side somewhere and CB is traditionally that area

You can even look at City and Pep. First season, he had a hard time, they conceded countless set pieces. Second season he bought Mendy, Walker, Gundogan, Laporte (players with more height), they cut out the basic goals conceded and steamrolled their way to the title. Even a couple of days ago he said one reason he signed Rodri was for “his height”

So having a tall team doesn’t equal success. But it’s one of the factors IMO that can contribute to success. I can see you probably won’t change your mind though

I'm afraid you wont because height, in the end, has little to do with it. Defending is about concentration, experience, desire and commitment. Defending set pieces is a mixed bag. It's about set up and luck at the end of the day.

Arsenal in the first season after Bould was appointed Assistans Manager changed from zonal to man marking and it resulted in them conceding more from set pieces than they had in the previous 5 or so seasons.

Was the tactical switch entirely to blame? No. It was also about the players quality and their experience under that system.

When Gomes came in one of the things that changed was Swift started marking the near post. It worked very well. If you watch the end of his campaign Swift did a great job deflecting those near post balls from corners. Would he be even better if he was an inch taller? Probably. But would he have done as well if he was put more central? Not a chance.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2019 23:59

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Meite, Loader and Swift are the same height. All 6ft. Olise is 5ft11 according to the internet.

No offense meant..

I'm afraid you wont because height, in the end, has little to do with it. Defending is about concentration, experience, desire and commitment. Defending set pieces is a mixed bag. It's about set up and luck at the end of the day.

Arsenal in the first season after Bould was appointed Assistans Manager changed from zonal to man marking and it resulted in them conceding more from set pieces than they had in the previous 5 or so seasons.

Was the tactical switch entirely to blame? No. It was also about the players quality and their experience under that system.

When Gomes came in one of the things that changed was Swift started marking the near post. It worked very well. If you watch the end of his campaign Swift did a great job deflecting those near post balls from corners. Would he be even better if he was an inch taller? Probably. But would he have done as well if he was put more central? Not a chance.

Naturally there’ll be some evidence to say that height isn’t important. And vice versa. But it’s interesting you bringing up Arsenal in the sense they’ve been called weak and spineless for years, much like us for a part of that period

I think why a number of so called “stars” who play in the Championship struggle is because of the big lumps who kick them around. I can’t recall the last time we outfought and outbattled a team. Brentford possibly?

And like I’ve previously said, I’m not denying other factors such as concentration and experience is vital to defending set pieces. But you can be experienced as possible, If there’s a big strong lump in the air, the chances are he’ll beat you

Interesting about Swift though, must admit haven’t ever picked up on it. Didn’t realise he was 6ft either, he doesn’t look that big!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jul 2019 00:04

Yep Swift is quite tall but is hopeless in the air.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jul 2019 00:38

Zip Yep Swift is quite tall but is hopeless.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jul 2019 00:43

Zip Yep Swift is quite tall but is hopeless in the air.

And injured mostly

yuomi

by yuomi » 20 Jul 2019 02:09

Silver Fox
yuomi Club statement is a bit ambiguous on whether Jose played any role in this at all.

What on earth does this mean?

1. There isn't a quote from JG in the club's statement announcing the signing of the player (I get the team in on tour, but this is a simple PR exercise and it's not hard to draft something. It's a noteworthy omission.)
2. Howe's quote is “It was important we bolstered the defensive options available to José...". That is (maybe not deliberately) ambiguous. And could be interpreted as Howe saying 'we' (he, Dai, Kia, whoever) acted independently of Jose to bring Morrison to the club.

So, yeah, that's what I meant.

Probably being paranoid, but we get so little info from the club these days and I've never seen a transfer announcement from any club that doesn't feature warm words from the manager. Nor one where the CEO is talking about buying players for, rather than with, the manager.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 20 Jul 2019 03:01

Woodcote Royal Thought Brum were a decent outfit last season and their fans seem to rate him (but not us :P ) so it looks a good signing on the back of a solid pre- season for the defence.

In fact, despite the lack of signings and the blind panic it seems to be causing in some quarters, everything looks much better at this stage in proceedings than for longer than I can recall.

Increasingly we look like a team regardless of the date on their respective birth certificates and if Morrison is the last one through the door before the season gets underway, so be it. Frankly, I'd take this manager and the current squad over at least the previous 3 if not a few more.

Nail on the bloody head Woodcote. We've been an utter shambles at this point in preseason and had a squad full of chances, long shots and "fingers crossed" players.

If course we haven't made major signings we are financially fcked. The club has never hidden that. Are we going to storm the league? Not a hope but it should be more rewarding and entertaining than the utter gash served up the last 2 seasons pre Jose.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jul 2019 06:54

yuomi
Silver Fox
yuomi Club statement is a bit ambiguous on whether Jose played any role in this at all.

1. There isn't a quote from JG in the club's statement announcing the signing of the player (I get the team in on tour, but this is a simple PR exercise and it's not hard to draft something. It's a noteworthy omission.)
2. Howe's quote is “It was important we bolstered the defensive options available to José...". That is (maybe not deliberately) ambiguous. And could be interpreted as Howe saying 'we' (he, Dai, Kia, whoever) acted independently of Jose to bring Morrison to the club.

Probably being paranoid, but we get so little info from the club these days and I've never seen a transfer announcement from any club that doesn't feature warm words from the manager. Nor one where the CEO is talking about buying players for, rather than with, the manager.

Yes, you are being paranoid !
This is exactly how we worked in January and probably how things should work.
Jose didn’t identify the January targets or deal with the transfers.
Undoubtably he had input but it’s not a one man process.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 08:46

Denver Royal
Elm Park Kid Sounds like a good partner for Moore.

Maybe a smokescreen. Now sign Heneghan, and then sell Moore for 10 mil and get his high wages off our books :P

That would be pretty good business actually.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 08:47

CountryRoyal
AthleticoSpizz Were Sonks and Ivar good on the ball?

We didn’t play a style which necessitated that they were, though.

Ivar was pretty tidy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 08:49

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Looks a solid player, but worried about our lack of height at CB in this division, and was hoping it would be addressed.
For years we've been saying we're vulnerable to high balls in the box. We saw the impact Miazga at 6'4 had, and so I thought we'd take notice and act accordingly (even if it wasn't to be Miazga).
Moore is 6'1 and Morrison is 6'0. Morrison sounds good in the air for his size, but still.
When you give up height with a CB, the trade off can be that the player is good with the ball at his feet, but is he?
Plus, we lost Martinez who came off his line a lot for high balls. Will the new starting keeper be doing this?

Meh. I think height can be focused on a little bit too much.

Sorry you can't place loads of emphasis on height being important and back that up with Hunt being good in the air. :lol:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Jul 2019 08:55

Nameless
yuomi
Silver Fox

This is more than often how it works now, historically it was a European concept where a dof identifies feasible signings and puts them forward to the management, it’s how we have worked since NH was here I believe.

Gone are the days where a manager makes the initial phone call for a pint in the local to discuss terms!

I’m sure Gomes was fully aware of the discussions

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 09:09

Seems to me a case of reaching a conclusion and then looking for anything vaguely ambiguous to support it. Rather than there being anything there at all that suggests it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jul 2019 09:40

royalp-we
Nameless
yuomi

This is more than often how it works now, historically it was a European concept where a dof identifies feasible signings and puts them forward to the management, it’s how we have worked since NH was here I believe.

Gone are the days where a manager makes the initial phone call for a pint in the local to discuss terms!

I think our modus operandi was more that the manager would identify his targets and then Nicky Hammond would go out and get them. Suggestion here is that Nigel spotted Morrison and went and bought him and Jose had no involvement, which would be mad.
I suspect what is happening now is there is more a team effort (we certainly have staff who solely deal with recruitment) but have no doubt Jose is fully involved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2019 10:37

Nameless
royalp-we
Nameless

I think our modus operandi was more that the manager would identify his targets and then Nicky Hammond would go out and get them. Suggestion here is that Nigel spotted Morrison and went and bought him and Jose had no involvement, which would be mad.
I suspect what is happening now is there is more a team effort (we certainly have staff who solely deal with recruitment) but have no doubt Jose is fully involved.

My feel is it's ever been thus (bar Anton and Gourlay):

Scouts look for talent
Manager identifies areas he wants players and what attributes he's looking for in consultation with DoF on budget. Manager may suggest targets
Scouts recommend / evaluate targets
Manager and DoF prioritise targets
DoF negotiates fees and contracts
Manager, DoF and CEO approve completion of signings.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Jul 2019 10:54

I would imagine part of the process at the moment is to look at a long list of players that are out of contract and agree between all the relevant parties whether a player could be of benefit to the team.

I’d rather take MM on a free than pay £5m for Pontus Jansson. I appreciate free transfers aren’t actually free as the player gets a decent signing on fee but it’s cheaper than £5m and not a significant difference in Championship quality, imho

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 20 Jul 2019 11:13

Hound fine. happy enough with that, experienced champ defender.

Obvs not exactly exciting but will allow us to bring McIntyre and Osho through gradually to take over from him

scored 7 goals last year apparently

Did you want de ligt?