Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

CONFIMRED - John O’Shea

by Sutekh » 22 Jul 2019 06:30

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - John O’Shea

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 09:09

fine, as long as he doesn't get anywhere near pulling on the first team shirt for us again

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2019 09:13

Reckon this could be a good appointment.
Maybe half an eye to a succession plan as Jose won't be here for ever and O'Shea has the credentials to make a good manager. Similar mold to Stam.

OK, maybe needs a bit more thought.....

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 Jul 2019 09:25

O'Shea has the credentials to make a good manager

:|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jul 2019 09:57

Not really getting the enthusiasm around this. His experience wasn't exactly much use last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2019 10:02

Maneki Neko

OK, I could probably list some reasons why, can you list reasons why not ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 10:09

confrimed anyway on the OS

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jul 2019 10:42

He must have had a big influence last season for us to want to do this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 10:45

Maneki Neko

In fairness given I can't stand him, limited player who worked his way to the top, showed determination to stay there, longevity in career, experienced triumph and failure, worked for one of the best and has apparently already refused management offers to learn the coaching trade better.

Players who had to work for it tend to make better managers than those who were just incredibly talented. And he's not just had an easy life - in football terms. I expect you learn a lot of how not to do things fighting relegation with Sunderland for four years and then being signed by Gourlay for a Reading relegation fight.

I'd rather he oxf*rd off somewhere else, but fine.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2019 12:06

Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

In fairness given I can't stand him, limited player who worked his way to the top, showed determination to stay there, longevity in career, experienced triumph and failure, worked for one of the best and has apparently already refused management offers to learn the coaching trade better.

Players who had to work for it tend to make better managers than those who were just incredibly talented. And he's not just had an easy life - in football terms. I expect you learn a lot of how not to do things fighting relegation with Sunderland for four years and then being signed by Gourlay for a Reading relegation fight.

Got the relevant qualifications already so not looking for a 'free ride', almost universally spoken off as a good guy to have around.
Why anyone would not be able to stand a bloke who doesn't seem to have done an awful lot wrong I'm not sure. I've never met him but there seems very little negative stuff attached to him. There were some very big issues around Stam but O'Shea seems to have been a model pro.
He seems to have the right credentials but whether he puts them into practice is another question. You also hope he has come in with Jose's blessing rather than been imposed.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’Shea

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Jul 2019 12:10

Obviously Jose must have seen something to invite him back. If that's the case, could be a good appointment, he now knows this team and lets face it if Gomes does do a good job sooner rather than later, he will be gone, so it would put JoS in a good position to carry on this project of moving us forward.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 12:11

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

Got the relevant qualifications already so not looking for a 'free ride', almost universally spoken off as a good guy to have around.
Why anyone would not be able to stand a bloke who doesn't seem to have done an awful lot wrong I'm not sure. I've never met him but there seems very little negative stuff attached to him. There were some very big issues around Stam but O'Shea seems to have been a model pro.
He seems to have the right credentials but whether he puts them into practice is another question. You also hope he has come in with Jose's blessing rather than been imposed.

That last bit we can agree on.

Never liked him at Utd. Totally unconvinced by how much of a positive influence he can be in the dressing room given he's been in five relegation battles in a row and at teams with some utterly horrendous defences. Total waste of a signing for us last year. Totally :| :roll: by the fawning over him at the end of the season when he retired.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Jul 2019 12:13

Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

Deary me.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Jul 2019 12:22

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

Agreed. Surely his wealth of experience will make him an excellent coach for our young defenders to learn from.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jul 2019 12:24

If he retained a fraction of the coaching Fergie and co gave him then he could be s decent coach. Maybe without the pressure of playing left hell be able to impart some wisdom to our young CB trio.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 12:29

Tilehurstsouthbank
Nameless
Snowflake Royal In fairness given I can't stand him, limited player who worked his way to the top, showed determination to stay there, longevity in career, experienced triumph and failure, worked for one of the best and has apparently already refused management offers to learn the coaching trade better.

Agreed. Surely his wealth of experience will make him an excellent coach for our young defenders to learn from.

Exactly what people said about signing him as a player last season. We conceded more shots than any other team, and lots of goals.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Jul 2019 12:45

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Nameless

Exactly what people said about signing him as a player last season. We conceded more shots than any other team, and lots of goals.

But last season he was I the twilight of his footballing career and basically just floating unless desperately needed. Now his mandate is to coach and he will be 100% focused on this. This is a good move IMO.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Jul 2019 13:13

sounds very much like a Nigel Howe insurance policy in case Jose decides to spend his time elsewehere

alfie9

by alfie9 » 22 Jul 2019 14:08

He was sh*te and part of a sh*te team with a bad mentality. Why anyone wants him to stick around is beyond me. Every single mercenary that came in under Clement and Gourlay needs to get out of our club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 14:10

poor Andy Yiadom :cry: