The Non - League thread

10445 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Zammo » 22 Jul 2019 15:06

PSF - Didcot Town 0 - 2 Redditch

Positives - football is back, bar open for the entire game, Zammo jnr got a free hot dog, the sun was shining and finally there was some Carex in the Gents.

Negatives - Didders have lost a few experienced players this summer, new ones will obvs take time to gel but thought it was a disjointed performance. God knows where the goals are gonna come from, and not much width to speak of. New manager got his work cut out this season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jul 2019 17:52

AthleticoSpizz Decent enough result.

Although I am a little confused that the NL Paper has Windsor down as getting beaten 0-4 by Staines Town yesterday, did they play more than the one game?

No.

Odd that, I think Staines were our original opponents for Saturday’s game but Staines couldn’t make it (for some reason) hence the arrangements with Wantage.

Just checked - Staines beat what appears to have been an AFC Wimbledon youth team 4-0.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jul 2019 19:15

Cheers RR

Case admonished :D

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 22 Jul 2019 20:49

Royal Rother PSF - Windsor 7-1 Wantage

Well, I didn’t see that one coming! :shock: Windsor played 6 or 7 teenagers (plus a few off the bench) including a number of 16 year olds, one of whom scored a hat trick from midfield.

PSFs don’t mean a lot as we all know but it was not a Reserve team from Wantage and we gave them a footballing lesson. Looking forward to the next one now.

..... was described by Wantage as a 'mixed' squad incl a few Development lads - esp 2nd half where they shipped 5 - this is the club whose Dev side went a whole season without mustering a single point only 2 season's ago? :shock:

However only beat what's in front of you etc - sterner test at Stag Meadow tmrw - scheduled to host Bracknell?

Noticed the last G/scorer was T.Mutero, who I think may be the lad I saw starting very early 17/18 at Highmoor/IBIS when all looked so promising?

He was actually an RFC youth product Zimbabwe dual-national currently on Farnborough's books - if Wiki is correct?

...been racking up a fair few PSFs - will do proper preview in a week or so - first round of the FA Cup on 10th August - could be some interesting match-ups.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jul 2019 22:20

Indeed, correct in what you say about Trevor Mutero.

He has certainly looked decent without being in a class of his own as you’d maybe expect of a fairly recent academy player.

Can’t see him sticking around too long if I’m honest, but hope I’m wrong.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jul 2019 23:37

Atherton collieries of the northern league division have beaten al-ittahid (8 time saudi league champs and 2 times asian champs league winners) 2-0...... :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jul 2019 06:28

Windsor 2-5 Bracknell

Another very encouraging display by Windsor’s ridiculously young team. Bracknell fielded Nathan Minhas, Cooper Clarke and Nicholas Bignall up front FFS. :lol:

There will be ups and downs along the way (you win nothing with kids) but I’m really looking forward to see how we get on with this bunch. I don’t know all of them yet but I reckon our average in the 2nd half was in the teens so to draw that period 2-2 against that lot is jolly decent.

What I particularly like is the mental strength and discipline on show. They are quite happy to tough it out with the men, don’t look overawed at all, and never complain about decisions going against them. They seem to want to play football.

Were you there OMA?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jul 2019 08:03

Royal Rother Windsor 2-5 Bracknell

Another very encouraging display by Windsor’s ridiculously young team. Bracknell fielded Nathan Minhas, Cooper Clarke and Nicholas Bignall up front FFS. :lol:

There will be ups and downs along the way (you win nothing with kids) but I’m really looking forward to see how we get on with this bunch. I don’t know all of them yet but I reckon our average in the 2nd half was in the teens so to draw that period 2-2 against that lot is jolly decent.

What I particularly like is the mental strength and discipline on show. They are quite happy to tough it out with the men, don’t look overawed at all, and never complain about decisions going against them. They seem to want to play football.

Were you there OMA?

No wasn't there pal, heard Windsor were very decent all things considered though. From what I have seen of Bracknell we will score bucket loads but ship a load of goals too, should be quite exciting to watch them this season for that reason.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Jul 2019 14:27

Zammo PSF - Didcot Town 0 - 2 Redditch

Positives - football is back, bar open for the entire game, Zammo jnr got a free hot dog, the sun was shining and finally there was some Carex in the Gents.

Negatives - Didders have lost a few experienced players this summer, new ones will obvs take time to gel but thought it was a disjointed performance. God knows where the goals are gonna come from, and not much width to speak of. New manager got his work cut out this season.

Definitely! Gonna be a tough slog this year being brutally honest.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jul 2019 23:56

Lol @ Premiership Wolves only beating part-time Crusaders 2-0 at Molineaux (one of those goals coming after the 90 minutes).

Not much chance of the Crues overturning the tie at Seaview....but fair play and good luck to them

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 27 Jul 2019 13:15

Were you there OMA?

Bracknell were clearly the better side, while still remaining in 2nd gear imo.

From what what I've seen, I can see Windsor being in a relegation scrap to be honest. Step 5 is probably their level historically, and they just don't seem to have the ability to attract the type of player needed, or the type of investment needed to sign the right kind of player.

Bracknell will be up there, and should secure promotion to step three.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jul 2019 13:39

StellaPlease

Were you there OMA?

From what what I've seen, I can see Windsor being in a relegation scrap to be honest. Step 5 is probably their level historically, and they just don't seem to have the ability to attract the type of player needed, or the type of investment needed to sign the right kind of player.

Of course they were by far the better side - they spend a fortune on their squad, Windsor spend nothing. Zero.

But year after year we put together a squad that is capable of holding its own in the league, by using local lads and a few others who like to play on a decent grass pitch.

For me “the right kind of player” is one who wants to play for the club rather than those who are chasing a buck which is who Bracknell attract, like Minhas, Cooper Clarke who must have ra Jed up 3 or 4 clubs each in the last couple of seasons.

Bracknell have a Step 3 for squad for sure so are streets ahead of Windsor’s Step 5 squad, but although a promotion challenge will surely be beyond us with such a young squad, we played some nice stuff against Bracknell (and previously beat Wantage who won our league last season, 7-1) and I am confident of another Top 8 finish at our own level.

Steinborn Busse will implode if Bracknell fail to go up again this season. If they are not 6 points clear by Christmas expect to see another change in management.

We shall see!

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 27 Jul 2019 13:57

Royal Rother
StellaPlease

Were you there OMA?

Of course they were by far the better side - they spend a fortune on their squad, Windsor spend nothing. Zero.

But year after year we put together a squad that is capable of holding its own in the league, by using local lads and a few others who like to play on a decent grass pitch.

For me “the right kind of player” is one who wants to play for the club rather than those who are chasing a buck which is who Bracknell attract, like Minhas, Cooper Clarke who must have ra Jed up 3 or 4 clubs each in the last couple of seasons.

Bracknell have a Step 3 for squad for sure so are streets ahead of Windsor’s Step 5 squad, but although a promotion challenge will surely be beyond us with such a young squad, we played some nice stuff against Bracknell (and previously beat Wantage who won our league last season, 7-1) and I am confident of another Top 8 finish at our own level.

Steinborn Busse will implode if Bracknell fail to go up again this season. If they are not 6 points clear by Christmas expect to see another change in management.

We shall see!

No need to be bitter about it, money is what gets clubs at that level promoted. Their owner clearly found them more investable than Windsor and they are reaping the rewards.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jul 2019 18:13

Bitter?

Not at all, we are operating in a different universe to Bracknell.

We are what we are which I summarise above, and Bracknell are what they are.

You use the term “investment”. I like a good business plan and ambition which is very apparent at BTFC but has Steinborn Busse invested any money into the club or has it all come from sale of the land?

Are you confident that he will stick around? Have any accounts for his various companies been filed yet?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jul 2019 21:17

Windsor 0-6 Kings Langley

Another very tough PSF against a team 2 leagues higher. Windsor had 5 regular 1st teamers away so put out an even younger team than midweek against Bracknell plus some new faces who did ok. Again, encouraging signs as they play some nice one touch football but against a semi-pro team are always going to get found out.

It has been suggested that the manager might have found out more about where we are if we’d played teams from our own level rather than Hayes and Yeading, Bracknell and Kings Langley but I suppose it may be that this has sharpened them up and it all seems much easier next week.

Shan’t be at the season opener at Westfields in Hereford which is a shame but buggered if I’m going to spend 6 hours driving on a Saturday. Could go on the team coach but it leaves at 10.30am. Nah.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Jul 2019 11:51

Alan Partridge

IIRC AP you are a Torquay follower.
Have they invested much for the new season and do you think they are ready to make an impact at the higher level?.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Jul 2019 16:03

Victor Meldrew
Alan Partridge

Have they invested much for the new season and do you think they are ready to make an impact at the higher level?.

The main thing for TUFC was keeping the squad together last year as much as possible. Which is what we've done. Saikou Janneh who we had on loan from Bristol City scored loads and he's gone back and done well so he isn't coming back but other than that all the key players are.

We've signed Wokings best player in Armani Little and a striker from Cheltenham called Manny Duku who has done well in pre season. I expect 3 or 4 loans to come in early next week to boost numbers but I'm quietly confident we can have a good go at it next year and get a playoff place .

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2019 08:18

Alan Partridge
Victor Meldrew
Alan Partridge

a striker from Cheltenham called Manny Duku who has done well in pre season..

Can you Count on Duku to score goals though?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 29 Jul 2019 09:08

The national League us basically the old division 4 now, couple of good clubs in the area to go and watch also.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jul 2019 13:01

Royal Rother Of course they were by far the better side - they spend a fortune on their squad, Windsor spend nothing. Zero.

We shall see!

I generally agree with that RR, but to be fair to Bracknell their squad, albeit put together with a very good budget, had a real core of 8/12 players over the previous 3 seasons or so.

As for Cooper-Clark, I think he's only played for Bracknell and Thatcham in the last 4 or 5 seasons, so it's a bit unfair on him there. I don't think Minhas has really been one who's gone from club to club either, but there is certainly a lot of money funding that squad which, as you say, attracts a certain type of player.

I can't see Windsor struggling too much, they'll again be a pretty solid mid-table side because they're a pretty well run outfit who know the level well.

10445 posts