Gay Championship player about to go public....

146 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gay Championship player about to go public....

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jul 2019 10:02

This thread is such a car crash that Enfield Royal can even be referred to as 'HNA intelligentsia' and no one even pick up on it

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jul 2019 10:04

Vic "Real man's man" Meldrew

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jul 2019 10:30

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Sanguine Don't expect much from someone who on the previous page used the old 'what, are you gay or something?' trope at OMA.

Another one making things up-poor show but then perhaps you are just mirroring your mate Boris who delights in making things up.

I'm not making anything up. Your complete quote was 'I am wondering why you are getting so excited about this topic-if you are desperate to come out then do it-man up.'

I mean, Christ, that's straight out of the 70s/80s playbook - 'why are so interested? are you gay or something?'

That was addressed to our resident fen man, not to OMA who has delighted us with the tales of the unexpected in Andover last weekend.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jul 2019 10:32

Winston Biscuit This thread is such a car crash that Enfield Royal can even be referred to as 'HNA intelligentsia' and no one even pick up on it

Enfield rather sums up the mock intelligentsia of some regulars on here.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jul 2019 10:41

Thicko's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> homophobic dinosaurs.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jul 2019 10:47

Platypuss Thicko's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> homophobic dinosaurs.

Good of Vic to combine the two though eh?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jul 2019 11:21

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew Football fans (apart from Cardiff and Leeds of course) are not all hooligans and are no more likely to react to a gay player who has come out than they now (don't) react in an adverse way to players of non-white race.

It is a non-issue.

Yet Kick It Out says that reports of racist abuse went up 43% last season, and of faith-based abuse up 75%. Hardly screams tolerance.

To use an expression often said by your late lamented leader "I want to be clear about this".
I have no problem with gay, transgender, or players of any race turning out for football teams nor indeed those with stated religious beliefs such as the Jewish league in London.
Having, hopefully clarified that point once and for all can I now turn to the figures quoted by you and your fellow Sun-reader Enfield as above.

This is the danger of just taking headlines at face value because the actual numbers, as opposed to percentages, are IMHO minor.
For those that haven't read the FA official statement it is that numbers for reported (and thank goodness investigated) examples of racial abuse are up to 274 from 192 in the previous year.
The even more sensational faith-based discrimination increase of 75% relates to a jump from 36 to 63.
Over a season I would guess that attendances at English professional football matches comes to something like 20,000,000 so for example regarding reported racial abuse we are talking of something like 0.0000137 of those attending football matches has said something leading to reported racial abuse.

So, let me be clear on this as well.
Any 1 case of abuse of a player because of sexual orientation, race or creed is WRONG (capital letters used for the benefit of earlier mentioned Sun-readers because they seldom look beyond the headlines).

I would guess there are far more examples of racial abuse etc. outside of football than within and society has a big problem-even our political leaders (including this latest p.m.) are regularly guilty.
Football through the FA has done a great job and continues to do so in dealing with reports and I am sure that come the day if and when any gay footballers are abused the FA will take the issue seriously.
It appears that hate crime and racial and other forms of abuse have increased over the past year in society as a whole just as racial abuse has increased within our national game but looking beyond the dramatic and sensationalist percentage headlines 0.0000137 of all attendees doesn't to me look quite as big a problem as would appear to be the case with a headline increase figure of 43%.

If racial and faith-based figures are eventually followed by similar returns for gay players then I feel that this (in)famous gay footballer has very little to worry about and if he feels the need to come out then he might just as well get on with it especially as it appears he has had abuse on social media already.
You never know, he might find the tolerance level at football better than he experiences already in his daily life and, according to the Welsh rugby player, it was such a relief to come out and his fears about how he would be treated by rugby crowds was unfounded.

I do feel that football fans are not the evil devils that they are portrayed as by the media and, from my experience, I would suggest that rugby followers are more inclined to be piss-head bigots than those football fans, of which there are so many more.
The rugby players on the pitch are better behaved than footballers but that is where it ends.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Jul 2019 11:58

Victor Meldrew
Winston Biscuit This thread is such a car crash that Enfield Royal can even be referred to as 'HNA intelligentsia' and no one even pick up on it

At least I'm not a daily mail reading homophobe who condones racism and homophobic abuse as 'banter'.

You still haven't answer my 2 questions I asked you twice.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 25 Jul 2019 11:58

Wow. So you've got a problem with brown people getting a bit too uppity too then :?:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Jul 2019 11:59

genome I'm pretty sure Vic gave up a couple of pages back and is now on the wind-up.

you spelt decades wrong.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Jul 2019 12:00

Old Man Andrews
Platypuss Thicko's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> homophobic dinosaurs.

Good of Vic to combine the two though eh?

Judging by his previous posts, more recently the absolute hilarity in claiming Kane is one dimensional and wouldn't get into the Liverpool squad, does it surprise you?

He has consistently been one of the worst posters on here ever.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jul 2019 12:00

I must say I am not a fan of the hna pile on.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jul 2019 12:10

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew

At least I'm not a daily mail reading homophobe who condones racism and homophobic abuse as 'banter'.

You still haven't answer my 2 questions I asked you twice.

Sorry m8 but it's too hot and I can't be bothered as clearly you can't read or, at least, can't take much in.
BTW I don't have to answer your questions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 08:07

Victor Meldrew
Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Another one making things up-poor show but then perhaps you are just mirroring your mate Boris who delights in making things up.

I'm not making anything up. Your complete quote was 'I am wondering why you are getting so excited about this topic-if you are desperate to come out then do it-man up.'

I mean, Christ, that's straight out of the 70s/80s playbook - 'why are so interested? are you gay or something?'

That was addressed to our resident fen man, not to OMA who has delighted us with the tales of the unexpected in Andover last weekend.

Vic the bigot missing the point that it doesn't matter who you make a homophobic slur against, you're still making a homophobic slur.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Jul 2019 08:47

Winston Biscuit I must say I am not a fan of the hna pile on.

what have you got against pile on's m9?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jul 2019 12:23

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Sanguine

Vic the bigot missing the point that it doesn't matter who you make a homophobic slur against, you're still making a homophobic slur.

For goodness sake Ian just come out and be done with it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 12:43

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew

And then he doubles down on the homophobic comment. Again.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jul 2019 12:47

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal Vic the bigot missing the point that it doesn't matter who you make a homophobic slur against, you're still making a homophobic slur.

Is it homophobic to say to a gay person "why don't you come out?"
Asking for a friend.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jul 2019 12:53

Vic showing Kes levels of not knowing when to give up.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Jul 2019 12:57

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew

Is it homophobic to say to a gay person "why don't you come out?"
Asking for a friend.

It's homophobic to call someone gay for suggesting that you have bigoted views.

146 posts