Gay Championship player about to go public....

146 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gay Championship player about to go public....

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jul 2019 13:00

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal And then he doubles down on the homophobic comment. Again.

Is it homophobic to say to a gay person "why don't you come out?"
Asking for a friend.

It's homophobic to call someone gay for suggesting that you have bigoted views.

But if somebody is gay?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Jul 2019 14:20

Why would you need to tell somebody you know is gay that they should just come out and be done with it?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jul 2019 14:35

genome Vic showing Kes levels of not knowing when to give up.

This is genuinly astonishingly ridiculous. He just keeps digging.

Vic I really think you should shut up. You are seriously making yourself look like an ignorant homophobic dinosaur.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jul 2019 14:36

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
For goodness sake Ian just come out and be done with it.

And then he doubles down on the homophobic comment. Again.

Asking for a friend.

Yes

Its not upto anybody bar themselves to out them as Gay.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jul 2019 14:38

Victor Meldrew
Sanguine
Victor Meldrew
Asking for a friend.

It's homophobic to call someone gay for suggesting that you have bigoted views.

But if somebody is gay?

Yes because people aren't always comfortable with letting others know. They might be religious or have an issue with knowing their son or daughter is gay.

This is literelly what I told my wife's 6 year old sister who has a gay older sister and brother.

Her brother knew he was gay since 6 years old but only came out aged 15 because he was fearful about (old school) granparents and dickhead dads reaction.

Also not to mention people at school bully them.

Luckily there was nothing apart from her oldschool london grandads stupid comments which we shut up.

I honestly thought people were not as thick anymore as what you are proving to be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 17:15

Vic, whether I'm gay or not is none of your business.
If I am gay, whether I'm out or not is none of your business.
I have posted nothing on here to say I am gay, because I'm not. Although that's irrelevant. And there would be nothing wrong with me being gay, openly or otherwise.

You are suggesting I'm gay in a deliberately derogatory way, when you know full well you have no reason to think I am, because you are an horrendous bigoted old oxf*rd, and the world will be a better place without you when you eventually and inevitably expire.

Senility is clearly setting in seeing as you are currently behaving like an ignorant and badly brought up 7 year old. Although I guess maybe you've just always been like that.

Perhaps you'd like to report me to Graham for calling you a bigot in this thread, as you threatened in another. I'm perfectly comfortable with him reading the thread and judging who is the more offensive and worthy of a ban. I'd ask if you are too, but you're clearly so clueless you think you've said nothing wrong.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jul 2019 17:33

Snowflake Royal Vic, whether I'm gay or not is none of your business.
I have posted nothing on here to say I am gay, because I'm not. Although that's irrelevant. And there would be nothing wrong with me being gay, openly or otherwise.

You are suggesting I'm gay in a deliberately derogatory way, when you know full well you have no reason to think I am, because you are an horrendous bigoted old oxf*rd, and the world will be a better place without you when you eventually and inevitably expire.

Senility is clearly setting in seeing as you are currently behaving like an ignorant and badly brought up 7 year old. Although I guess maybe you've just always been like that.

Perhaps you'd like to report me to Graham for calling you a bigot in this thread, as you threatened in another. I'm perfectly comfortable with him reading the thread and judging who is the more offensive and worthy of a ban. I'd ask if you are too, but you're clearly so clueless you think you've said nothing wrong.

As you so vehemently spoke on behalf of the gay footballer I assumed that you personally might be gay but are reluctant to "come out" and I was trying to reassure him and you that you might feel better for it as there is no great evidence of homophobia directed towards footballers, and using the example of the Welsh Rugby player I honestly do feel that football fans won't give this gay footballer a hard time.

A friend of mine's son has said that coming out was the best thing he has ever done and now he wonders why he waited so long and caused himself such anxiety.
His dad explained that the boy was loved by his parents as a person that they have of course known and loved all his life and their only regret would be that a grandchild, although not impossible ,was unlikely.

You have confused things and made your own interpretation that I am homophobic, I confused things in thinking that you might be a homosexual who is fearful of coming out.
Both of us were wrong.
One tip, rather than wishing me dead and constantly adopting an aggressive tone towards me and many others, maybe you might become a bit more popular here and in the big bad world by being more civil.
Try it sometime.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 17:43

That's the thing about us liberal not bigots Vic, we're opposed to homophobia and have empathy with the struggle that gay people have to go through because of ignorance and bigotry like that on display from you.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jul 2019 18:06

Wishing somebody dead isn't cool Ian. You can't do that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jul 2019 18:29

I wish this thread was dead.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jul 2019 19:00

Would be interested* to know Vic's thoughts on the fact that Marvin Sordell has retired today due to racism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49127523

Here are his quotes:

But no, bigotry isn't a problem within football...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jul 2019 19:44

genome Would be interested* to know Vic's thoughts on the fact that Marvin Sordell has retired today due to racism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49127523

Here are his quotes:

But no, bigotry isn't a problem within football...

Hope he gets offered all the help in the world and reconsiders.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jul 2019 20:41

which was kind’ve my (one single) point in the first place :|

Apologies for opening up a can of worms, but jeez guys....(although not necessarily directed to me at my initial post) well over the top reactions all-round

What a shame....but that’s the way it rolls sometimes on here.

(at least brendy might enjoy the “contributions” to the board :wink: )

Fin

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 22:44

AthleticoSpizz
which was kind’ve my (one single) point in the first place :|

Apologies for opening up a can of worms, but jeez guys....(although not necessarily directed to me at my initial post) well over the top reactions all-round

What a shame....but that’s the way it rolls sometimes on here.

(at least brendy might enjoy the “contributions” to the board :wink: )

Fin

No problem with you Spizz. You expressed a view, a few of us explained why it is a big deal in these circumstances and as far as I remember that was that and if you responded it was with good grace.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jul 2019 23:04

Well thank you Ian (that’s the nicest thing that you have ever said to me in recent months :wink: )

Right now...here we go......in defence of ‘Vic’ I have spent a few hours beholding in his company recently (and despite our political and footballing juxtapositions....he is nothing like the person that has been painted by some on here....

Sadly (and I have been a victim and conversely an occasional sh1t-stirrer) things posted here are devoid of facial expressions, intonations and are very often taken well out of context. It’s natural that things get misunderstood, however, having only just ‘caught-up’ with this thread today...I am not comfortable with the ‘piling-on’ (as one poster has already alluded to).

Respect eachother....you really don't know just how close you are to agreeing with your prey.

Thank you and goodnight :wink:

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 27 Jul 2019 08:50

I apologise for piling on Vic and am sorry. It is just a very emotive subject for me as have seen family members physically and mentally abused for it. I know how it is to have the usual suspects like Ian pile on like that.

Also I do not condone Ians actions or words at all or support him. He is a condescending, narcissistic, horrible little bully of a boy. The word man doesn't do justice to him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jul 2019 09:38

AthleticoSpizz Well thank you Ian (that’s the nicest thing that you have ever said to me in recent months :wink: )

Right now...here we go......in defence of ‘Vic’ I have spent a few hours beholding in his company recently (and despite our political and footballing juxtapositions....he is nothing like the person that has been painted by some on here....

Sadly (and I have been a victim and conversely an occasional sh1t-stirrer) things posted here are devoid of facial expressions, intonations and are very often taken well out of context. It’s natural that things get misunderstood, however, having only just ‘caught-up’ with this thread today...I am not comfortable with the ‘piling-on’ (as one poster has already alluded to).

Respect eachother....you really don't know just how close you are to agreeing with your prey.

Fair comment this. I like Vic and do not see him as a bigot although he was a bit daft inferring Ian was gay because he was staunchly defending a gay man.

What is depressing in this day and age is that someone should worry about revealing their sexuality. It’s their business and in the scheme of things it really should not matter to anyone else.

Sadly as we are still seeing with black players there are bullies, morons and bigots still out there and they are the ones that need to be outed. I honestly thought we were past all of this. As someone who at the age of seven witnessed my mixed race cousins suffer racist abuse it angers me. My cousins were slightly older than me and they told me not to worry about it because they were used to dealing with it. They dealt with it better than I did.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jul 2019 09:44

Victor Meldrew

As you so vehemently spoke on behalf of the gay footballer I assumed that you personally might be gay but are reluctant to "come out" and I was trying to reassure him and you that you might feel better for it as there is no great evidence of homophobia directed towards footballers, and using the example of the Welsh Rugby player I honestly do feel that football fans won't give this gay footballer a hard time.

A friend of mine's son has said that coming out was the best thing he has ever done and now he wonders why he waited so long and caused himself such anxiety.
His dad explained that the boy was loved by his parents as a person that they have of course known and loved all his life and their only regret would be that a grandchild, although not impossible ,was unlikely.

You have confused things and made your own interpretation that I am homophobic, I confused things in thinking that you might be a homosexual who is fearful of coming out.
Both of us were wrong.
One tip, rather than wishing me dead and constantly adopting an aggressive tone towards me and many others, maybe you might become a bit more popular here and in the big bad world by being more civil.
Try it sometime.

Vic. Let it go. I don’t doubt you are not a bigot and posters have piled into you in a way which was uncalled for. It has clearly upset you. However you have been clumsy in some of the things you have said and need to just accept that and back away.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 27 Jul 2019 11:28

From Despair To Where? So because it's not as bad as it was, that's OK?

Since when were we satisfied with judging ourselves against the lowest common denominator?

So what level of racism or homophobia is acceptable if it's just a minor problem? What constitutes banter and when does it become abuse? I'd suggest it's the target of the banter that makes that distinction. In the case of racism or homophobia, I doubt that would be you.

Think we've unearthed ourselves a gay. ^

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Jul 2019 12:36

Zip
AthleticoSpizz Well thank you Ian (that’s the nicest thing that you have ever said to me in recent months :wink: )

Fair comment this. I like Vic and do not see him as a bigot although he was a bit daft inferring Ian was gay because he was staunchly defending a gay man.

What is depressing in this day and age is that someone should worry about revealing their sexuality. It’s their business and in the scheme of things it really should not matter to anyone else.

Sadly as we are still seeing with black players there are bullies, morons and bigots still out there and they are the ones that need to be outed. I honestly thought we were past all of this. As someone who at the age of seven witnessed my mixed race cousins suffer racist abuse it angers me. My cousins were slightly older than me and they told me not to worry about it because they were used to dealing with it. They dealt with it better than I did.

The press always seem to think the players are worried about abuse from the terraces etc, but it does seem to be the reaction of their fellow pros that bothers them more.

If you take "the secret footballer's" description of the typical dressing room as an example, it does seem that attitudes are several decades behind the times in a very alpha male type environment.

146 posts