Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2019 17:49

Liverpool also let players go for reasonable fees with big add ons and sell on clauses. See Ilori.

I'd argue, for the arguments sake, Watford are the best run club in the premier league.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Jul 2019 19:31

WestYorksRoyal Apparently WBA have agreed a fee with Brentford for Sawyers. Which I assume will be used to fund Ejaria.

How important is this position? Do we need alternatives? Olise, Barrett and Holsgrove are all attacking midfielders. Loader can play there.

Far more important is a deeper midfielder, who can allow Swift to be our main man in that attacking role.

Goes without saying I'd have loved Ejaria, but it's not a priority position.

I don't think Ejaria offers enough cutting edge to play as an attacking midfielder. I thought his best games for us came as a genuine central midfielder, which allowed him to use the combative side of his game along with that amazing close control.

A midfield with Ejaria and Rinomhota sitting and Swift pushed on a bit should work. I'd prefer Baker or Kelly as genuine DMs but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Jul 2019 19:41

NewCorkSeth Liverpool also let players go for reasonable fees with big add ons and sell on clauses. See Ilori.

Yep, and they scored a major coup that altered the Top 6 landscape when Barca paid them approx 150 mil for Coutinho. He hadn't impressed me all that much at the time. You still have to then go out and spend the money well, which I think they did when they bought Van Dyke and Allisson, which had been problem areas in the past. This was b4 they'd spent their own money, which they also did.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2019 19:45

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Liverpool also let players go for reasonable fees with big add ons and sell on clauses. See Ilori.

Yep, and they scored a major coup that altered the Top 6 landscape when Barca paid them approx 150 mil for Coutinho. He hadn't impressed me all that much at the time. You still have to then go out and spend the money well, which I think they did when they bought Van Dyke and Allisson, which had been problem areas in the past. This was b4 they'd spent their own money, which they also did.

Comparing their transfers before Klopp and after Klopp is very telling. Also comparing them with Chelsea or Arsenal really shows how well they've been dealing in the transfer market recently.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Jul 2019 20:01

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

Comparing their transfers before Klopp and after Klopp is very telling. Also comparing them with Chelsea or Arsenal really shows how well they've been dealing in the transfer market recently.

Yep, he's done a nice job, and done well with some older players too, like getting another season or two out of Milner.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2019 21:27

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Yep, and they scored a major coup that altered the Top 6 landscape when Barca paid them approx 150 mil for Coutinho. He hadn't impressed me all that much at the time. You still have to then go out and spend the money well, which I think they did when they bought Van Dyke and Allisson, which had been problem areas in the past. This was b4 they'd spent their own money, which they also did.

Yep, he's done a nice job, and done well with some older players too, like getting another season or two out of Milner.

I know city have won 2 titles so probably dont care but he was well worth hanging on to. Such a tidy, professional player.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Jul 2019 15:20

Sorry lads this isn’t “Robbibg dirty Scouse Skag heads Anyone?”

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 27 Jul 2019 15:30

SCIAG
WestYorksRoyal Apparently WBA have agreed a fee with Brentford for Sawyers. Which I assume will be used to fund Ejaria.

How important is this position? Do we need alternatives? Olise, Barrett and Holsgrove are all attacking midfielders. Loader can play there.

Far more important is a deeper midfielder, who can allow Swift to be our main man in that attacking role.

I don't think Ejaria offers enough cutting edge to play as an attacking midfielder. I thought his best games for us came as a genuine central midfielder, which allowed him to use the combative side of his game along with that amazing close control.

A midfield with Ejaria and Rinomhota sitting and Swift pushed on a bit should work. I'd prefer Baker or Kelly as genuine DMs but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

He doesn't have a combative bone in his body. He's best drifting around behind the striker.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jul 2019 22:56

StellaPlease
SCIAG

He doesn't have a combative bone in his body. He's best drifting around behind the striker.

Would disagree based on his performances in the last few games. He really looked like getting stuck in.

Let's look at the stats. Last season he had 1.8 tackles, 1.4 fouls, and 1.1 interceptions per 90. By comparison Andy Rinomhota had 2.3 tackles, 1.4 fouls, and 1 interception. So the most combative of our remaining midfielders put in one extra tackle every two matches. It's also considerably higher than Lewis Baker who I would intuitively said was more combative than Ejaria.

On the other hand, going forward Ejaria made 0.7 passes leading to a shot every 90 minutes. That's less than half the rate of John Swift (1.6) and is the same as Liam Kelly, a defensive midfielder. It's ahead of Rinomhota and (surprisingly) Baker.

So I stand by my intuitions - he doesn't offer enough of a cutting edge in the final third for an attacking midfielder, but he is good at keeping the ball and winning it back. Box-to-box midfielder is his position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 13:11

Not sure how much can be read into it, but squad numbers for McCleary, Gunter, Popa and Baldock

None for Meyler Smith or Southwood though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 13:30

Hound Not sure how much can be read into it, but squad numbers for McCleary, Gunter, Popa and Baldock

Popa is really the only surprise there isn't he? Shame as it is for Southwood.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jul 2019 13:36

Hound Not sure how much can be read into it, but squad numbers for McCleary, Gunter, Popa and Baldock

None for Osho, Holmes or Odimayo either

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jul 2019 13:50

URZZZZ

None for Osho, Holmes or Odimayo either

I’d expect Osho and probably Holmes to have season long loans.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Jul 2019 13:54

Popa is an odd one isn’t it? Haven’t seen anything anywhere about him being involved in pre season. I’d not be too disappointed if Gunter and McCleary end up back in the squad

My lad sort of knows Tom Holmes (they have some common friends) and he said about a month ago he didn’t know what was happening, but thought he might go out on loan

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 14:00

Yeah assuming loans for Osho, Smith and Holmes are lined up. Odimayo is fine in the U23s

Popa very strange. No major issues with Gunter and McCleary in the squad if have to. At the very least it suggests any departure isn’t imminent for them

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 17:10

Just noticed that we have no No 3.
Obita 11
Blackett 24
Richards 27

And Gunter 2 rather than Yiadom who is 17.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2019 19:24

Snowflake Royal Just noticed that we have no No 3.
Obita 11
Blackett 24
Richards 27

Has Obita not always been number 11? Saw some people complaining about it on Twitter (surprise surprise)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2019 20:11

Obita 11
Blackett 24
Richards 27

Yeah, no #3 was interesting. Doubt we are getting a LB but would suggest we expect another arrival shortly who would perhaps favour that number. Yiadom was #3 last year wasn't he?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jul 2019 20:12

Stranded
Obita 11
Blackett 24
Richards 27

Yeah, no #3 was interesting. Doubt we are getting a LB but would suggest we expect another arrival shortly who would perhaps favour that number. Yiadom was #3 last year wasn't he?

He was indeed. Why did they change that I wonder?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2019 20:16

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Obita 11
Blackett 24
Richards 27

He was indeed. Why did they change that I wonder?

Yiadom asked for it after Barrow took #7.

1826 posts