Where will we finish?

227 posts
Crowbar6753

Re: Where will we finish?

by Crowbar6753 » 01 Aug 2019 21:29

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner 7th-9th.....Looking good at the back.....midfield looking like it has a bit more steel and understanding and just need a striker to find his shooting boots...
No reason why we can't achieve this.....the way we break forward looks wonderful to watch at times...For the first time in a couple of seasons I am really really positive.

I'm genuinely interested in hearing an explanation for how our midfield has more steel.

I totally agree and i honestly think this could be the best squad we've had in quite a while, especially if this Argentine signing is confirmed and maybe another midfielder in case Rino gets injured.
I think the Keepers will come good and the defense is solid. The midfield is ok and i am totally fine with the amount of attacking options at the minute especially if we are using a fluid attacking formation, and i think Baldock will have a point to prove and may score a few goals.
Quietly confident of the dark horse role this season, so 19th lol. (Kidding, 8th - 12th)

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 01 Aug 2019 22:06

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner 7th-9th.....Looking good at the back.....midfield looking like it has a bit more steel and understanding and just need a striker to find his shooting boots...
No reason why we can't achieve this.....the way we break forward looks wonderful to watch at times...For the first time in a couple of seasons I am really really positive.

I'm genuinely interested in hearing an explanation for how our midfield has more steel.

I totally agree and i honestly think this could be the best squad we've had in quite a while, especially if this Argentine signing is confirmed and maybe another midfielder in case Rino gets injured.
I think the Keepers will come good and the defense is solid. The midfield is ok and i am totally fine with the amount of attacking options at the minute especially if we are using a fluid attacking formation, and i think Baldock will have a point to prove and may score a few goals.
Quietly confident of the dark horse role this season, so 19th lol. (Kidding, 8th - 12th)

We have looked brilliant and full of pace and movement pre season. But we need a holding midfield player to play alongside Rino, not as cover for him.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 01 Aug 2019 22:19

Top half and with some quality signings we can be looking up from there

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Aug 2019 23:00

Not The Top 20 have us down to be relegatEd...those guys just hate us don’t they! Think one of them is an Oxford fan which just explains it all

Time to prove people wrong

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Aug 2019 23:49

On the eve of the first game, this is my prediction for the league

West Brom
Cardiff
-----------------
Stoke
Brentford
Fulham
Preston
------------------
Luton
Forest
Leeds
Reading
Bristol City
Blackburn
Millwall
Boro
Swansea
Derby
Barnsley
Birmingham
Wigan
Huddersfield
Sheffield Wednesday
----------------------------
QPR
Charlton
Hull

Huddersfield manager will be the first to go, with the one at Derby not too far behind

It's said a lot that the Championship is getting stronger but I think it looks a pile of tripe other than the top two. Leeds won't get near this season either

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 07:35

Agree it’s not a strong looking league this year

Think there will be plenty worse than us

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Aug 2019 07:47

URZZZZ On the eve of the first game, this is my prediction for the league

West Brom
Cardiff
-----------------
Stoke
Brentford
Fulham
Preston
------------------
Luton
Forest
Leeds
Reading
Bristol City
Blackburn
Millwall
Boro
Swansea
Derby
Barnsley
Birmingham
Wigan
Huddersfield
Sheffield Wednesday
QPR
Charlton
Hull

Huddersfield manager will be the first to go, with the one at Derby not too far behind

It's said a lot that the Championship is getting stronger but I think it looks a pile of tripe other than the top two. Leeds won't get near this season either

Interesting.....

Not really followed it by why Luton so high? I think Charlton could do better then them.

And why Hull bottom?

For the po's I have brentford, preston or Blackburn (who really impressed me last year) leeds (just for the inevitable and hilarious choke they always do) and boro.

West Brom will walk this league I think.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Aug 2019 08:21

Hound Agree it’s not a strong looking league this year

I don't think there's any nailed on relegations like in previous seasons like with Ipswich, Rotherham, Yeovil, Burton etc though.

Looks a very middling division to me with any of about 12 clubs able to go down and 18 finish top 6.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 08:41

I'm guessing Charlton (no money, lost couple of their best players - Bielik and Bauer), and possibly Wigan (no signings, lost James and Powell) could really struggle
Last edited by Hound on 02 Aug 2019 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Aug 2019 08:42

Snowflake Royal

I don't think there's any nailed on relegations like in previous seasons like with Ipswich, Rotherham, Yeovil, Burton etc though.

Looks a very middling division to me with any of about 12 clubs able to go down and 18 finish top 6.

Agree with this. I think the overall average will be stronger than last season, fewer really poor sides, and fewer really good sides.

I think some of the sides with new managers like Hull & Swansea could really struggle

We’ve got to get a good start and we should be looking at 4 points from Wednesday & Hull games

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Aug 2019 09:05

said every season for as long as I can remember!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Aug 2019 09:07

What's happened at Reading FC to move them from relegation fodder to comfortably mid-table?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 09:12

BR0B0T What's happened at Reading FC to move them from relegation fodder to comfortably mid-table?

based on last season's post Jan form - we were getting mid table level ppg

We talk about the loan signings, but I'm not sure Oliveira had a huge impact (due to being stamped on etc) and Ejaria was certainly replaceable. Martinez was obviously top class, but hoping with the addition of Morrison, and Miazga and Moore forming a strong partnership, the keeper won't be so needed.

Loader, Olise, Barrett and McIntyre all a year older and worthy of a place in the team now, rather than being thrown in in hope

Gomes having a full pre-season to drill the players, rather than coming in and firefighting on all fronts. More settled, happier squad and fanbase.
Last edited by Hound on 02 Aug 2019 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 09:14

BR0B0T

said every season for as long as I can remember!

ha maybe :)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Aug 2019 09:16

Hound
BR0B0T What's happened at Reading FC to move them from relegation fodder to comfortably mid-table?

We talk about the loan signings, but I'm not sure Oliveira had a huge impact (due to being stamped on etc) and Ejaria was certainly replaceable. Martinez was obviously top class, but hoping with the addition of Morrison, and Miazga and Moore forming a strong partnership, the keeper won't be so needed.

Loader, Olise, Barrett and McIntyre all a year older and worthy of a place in the team now, rather than being thrown in in hope

Gomes having a full pre-season to drill the players, rather than coming in and firefighting on all fronts. More settled, happier squad and fanbase.

'k...sounds promising for you guys!

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 02 Aug 2019 14:15

Maybe optimistic with Reading but i think he is slowly building a decent team on a small budget

Leeds
West Brom
-----------------
Stoke
Fulham
Cardiff
Reading
------------------
Boro
Swansea
Forest
Bristol City
Preston
Derby
Blackburn
Brentford
Huddersfield
Sheffield Wednesday
Hull
Luton
Charlton
Birmingham
QPR
Millwall
Barnsley
Wigan

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 02 Aug 2019 22:18

Hound I'm guessing Charlton (no money, lost couple of their best players - Bielik and Bauer), and possibly Wigan (no signings, lost James and Powell) could really struggle

Wigan have left their business late, but it looks like some quite smart signings in the 48 hours:
- Joe Williams is a promising holding midfielder signed from Everton and was ok in the poor Bolton team last season
- Jamal Lowe, tricky winger with 15 goals for Portsmouth last season (I think we were linked with him a while back?)
- Dujon Sterling - highly rated full back on loan from Chelsea; he made the team of the tournament as England won the 2017 European u19 Championship as a 17yo. if he is half as good as Reece James they will be very solid at RB again this season

They are also reportedly close to a £4m deal for Kieffer Moore - 17 goals in 31 league games for Barnsley last season.

As you suggest, whether any of them can step up and replace Powell will be key.

(They also have a new mascot, who is a pie)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Aug 2019 08:23

Yes you are correct - made some useful signings in the last couple of days

Still think they won’t have enough though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Aug 2019 08:57

Hound

While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

Really think the midfield is going to be our undoing. The best defence in the world isn't much good if it doesn't have protection.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2019 09:23

SCIAG
Hound

While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

Really think the midfield is going to be our undoing. The best defence in the world isn't much good if it doesn't have protection.

That’s crazy.
If your midfield is slightly lacking then exactly what you need is a strong defence ! You can compensate for your lack of muscle in the centre by being strong at the back.
S

227 posts