219 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rumour - Rafael Cabral

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 08:46

PistolPete
Jinx
Snowflake Royal Virginia is proving to be a very obvious mistake so this would be fabulous.

So you're writing him off after one game in which none of the goals were his fault? Fantastic :roll:

He also let a weird goal in against Chelsea - the Kennedy one.

In isolation the goals might not be worth discussing, but when 3 of the 5 goals give you niggling doubts, it becomes a worry. And yes, let's face facts, he's 19 and never played senior football. None of us are writing off his career, but we are saying that age is a factor, and we'd rather a player who wasn't learning on the job.

And by the way, it's not just the goals, it's the aura he carried himself with - he didn't seem to be a dominant figure in the box or with the defence. He's 19 and new here, that's fair, but it's not what we need!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MQ2-2oD0I - watch from 4:48, he looks lost. Sorry if you think I'm reading too much into body language!

He doesn't look lost, he looks pissed off that the team in front of him failed to concentrate and do their job.

My biggest concern about Virginia is that the majority of fans made their mind up about him being a mistake before he had even actually played a game for us and seem to be retro-fitting opinions to fit that narrative.

He did nothing particularly wrong on Saturday - the goals were the fault of those in front of him - and he didn't have much opportunity to show what he can do - there were no real opportunity for saves or even really crosses you would expect a keeper to deal with - though he dealt well with what he needed to - came through bodies to punch clear or at least one occasion.

If the opportunity to sign a better keeper - which I believe Rafael to be - comes about then we should take it but seriously judge Virginia on what actually happens in a game and not framed by the set notion that he is not yet good enough - as nothing on Saturday showed that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 08:48

Hound sounds like there is a strong chance that Rafael is incoming looking at the social media stuff

Interesting, assuming its a perm transfer, and yeah surely means he is coming in to be number 1

Pretty convinced it is done and we do need a 3rd 1st team keeper - so happy with that. I also think he is a keeper that is "better" than us, so think he will definitely see us as an audition spot for a move to the PL maybe even next summer. Could be a very good deal for both parties.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 08:53

hopefully. tbh I know little about him other than what I've seen on soccer base etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 09:03

His record is pretty solid - 59 clean sheets in 198 games - including one against Arsenal in the Champions League. Was 1st choice at Napoli for a while but they signed Pepe Reina from Bayern, so not really a surprise he dropped down to #2.

Move to Sampdoria hasn't worked out for him and he is stuck behind Emil Adureo, who they paid €20m for from Juventus and is a very highly rated young keeper.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2019 10:13

This sounds like an excellent signing. Club must also be applauded for fast, decisive action here. The fans have judged Virginia very quickly on the basis of one competitive performance. But it seems Jose has seen enough in the Spain tour and training that we need an upgrade for this season, and those at the top of the hierarchy have responded.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 10:16

Apparently arrived in the UK last night and having medical today.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 10:18

WestYorksRoyal This sounds like an excellent signing. Club must also be applauded for fast, decisive action here. The fans have judged Virginia very quickly on the basis of one competitive performance. But it seems Jose has seen enough in the Spain tour and training that we need an upgrade for this season, and those at the top of the hierarchy have responded.

yeah 100% agreed. It does seem that they feel he isn't ready for being first choice in the champ. he'll still get games, and it will still be a useful loan for him (though maybe not as useful for us)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Aug 2019 10:45

If he`s coming in to replace Virginia you have to look at the merits of using up one of the 5 match day loan places for someone sitting on the bench without the likely prospect of getting on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Aug 2019 10:49

Youtube doesn't tell you much as no goalkeeper's highlight reel is going to show how good he is at commanding his area or claiming crosses for example, although the very first save on the very first clip I saw showed a situation very similar to Wednesday's first goal and he made himself big and comfortably palmed the ball around the post.

I would say thought that he looks in a different class to anyone we currently have at our disposal. I do also wonder if this is a signing that's been in the pipeline for a while.

earleypr

by earleypr » 05 Aug 2019 11:18

I think it's too early to write off Virginia. I remember David De Gea being the obvious weak link in the Man United team during his first season - he's basically been their best player since then.

Having said that, Reading don't have the luxury of waiting for Virginia to come good, so I'd like to see an experienced keeper join the squad and battle for the number 1 spot with him. They need options. Virginia isn't even necessarily a weak link and he doesn't need replacing, he just needs competition and time to settle in.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Aug 2019 11:32

Stranded
PistolPete
Jinx
So you're writing him off after one game in which none of the goals were his fault? Fantastic :roll:

In isolation the goals might not be worth discussing, but when 3 of the 5 goals give you niggling doubts, it becomes a worry. And yes, let's face facts, he's 19 and never played senior football. None of us are writing off his career, but we are saying that age is a factor, and we'd rather a player who wasn't learning on the job.

And by the way, it's not just the goals, it's the aura he carried himself with - he didn't seem to be a dominant figure in the box or with the defence. He's 19 and new here, that's fair, but it's not what we need!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MQ2-2oD0I - watch from 4:48, he looks lost. Sorry if you think I'm reading too much into body language!

He doesn't look lost, he looks pissed off that the team in front of him failed to concentrate and do their job.

My biggest concern about Virginia is that the majority of fans made their mind up about him being a mistake before he had even actually played a game for us and seem to be retro-fitting opinions to fit that narrative.

He did nothing particularly wrong on Saturday - the goals were the fault of those in front of him - and he didn't have much opportunity to show what he can do - there were no real opportunity for saves or even really crosses you would expect a keeper to deal with - though he dealt well with what he needed to - came through bodies to punch clear or at least one occasion.

If the opportunity to sign a better keeper - which I believe Rafael to be - comes about then we should take it but seriously judge Virginia on what actually happens in a game and not framed by the set notion that he is not yet good enough - as nothing on Saturday showed that.

I couldn't agree more with you. If Virginia cracks a lot of it will be down to an element of our fan base who wrote him off pretty much without seeing him and are now looking everywhere for evidence to support their initial arguments. The 'evidence' they have come up with so far is very weak and in many cases displays their ignorance of the speciality position. When properly qualified and experience goalkeeping coaches start pointing out lots of errors then I will start to take worry about Virginia. In the meantime, my only concern is that some of our fan base may manage to pull him down with their constant criticism and scapegoating.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Aug 2019 11:42

RoyalBlue
Stranded
PistolPete

I couldn't agree more with you. If Virginia cracks a lot of it will be down to an element of our fan base who wrote him off pretty much without seeing him and are now looking everywhere for evidence to support their initial arguments. The 'evidence' they have come up with so far is very weak and in many cases displays their ignorance of the speciality position. When properly qualified and experience goalkeeping coaches start pointing out lots of errors then I will start to take worry about Virginia. In the meantime, my only concern is that some of our fan base may manage to pull him down with their constant criticism and escapegoating.

Corrected for you

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Aug 2019 11:45

Properly qualified and experienced goalkeeping coaches seem to have seen errors. Which appears to be why we are bringing Rafael in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 11:46

Jinx
Snowflake Royal Virginia is proving to be a very obvious mistake so this would be fabulous.

No. I'm saying signing a 19 year old with no experience who has let in 5 goals in a match and a half I expect a championship keeper to do better on is an obvious mistake.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Aug 2019 12:04

Snowflake Royal
Jinx

No. I'm saying signing a 19 year old with no experience who has let in 5 goals in a match and a half I expect a championship keeper to do better on is an obvious mistake.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that pretty much no 'keeper is saving Barkley's free kick.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 12:10

contract officially terminated by Sampdoria

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 12:33

Stranded
PistolPete
Jinx

I know that's your honest opinion. But it's also my honest opinion that a first choice championship keeper should be doing better on some if not all of the goals.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
PistolPete

I know that's your honest opinion. But it's also my honest opinion that a first choice championship keeper should be doing better on some if not all of the goals.

From Saturday? Fair enough if that's how you see it but a well hit finish on a close 1 on 1 - a free header from 8 to 10 yards out are not high percentage saves for a keeper to make - he will be disappointed with the 3rd as could have got down quicker but may have been surprised that Miazga was turned so easily.

I accept your opinion but would also state my opinion that if the game had gone exactly the same but Martinez had been in goal at the weekend, he would not have received any stick or doubts in his ability and all 3 goals (certainly the 1st two) we would simply be discussing the poor defensive play that led to them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 13:02

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

From Saturday? Fair enough if that's how you see it but a well hit finish on a close 1 on 1 - a free header from 8 to 10 yards out are not high percentage saves for a keeper to make - he will be disappointed with the 3rd as could have got down quicker but may have been surprised that Miazga was turned so easily.

I accept your opinion but would also state my opinion that if the game had gone exactly the same but Martinez had been in goal at the weekend, he would not have received any stick or doubts in his ability and all 3 goals (certainly the 1st two) we would simply be discussing the poor defensive play that led to them.

If it had been Martinez I'd know he just had an off day. I thought the first was the worst personally. And I'm still not convinced he could do nothing about the two vs Chelsea.

No outright errors, but unconvincing and expect better.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Aug 2019 13:09

both entitled to your opinions but I have to say I'm agreeing more with stranded than snowflake

219 posts