CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

219 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Rafael Cabral

by Royalwaster » 05 Aug 2019 13:22

WoodleyRoyal both entitled to your opinions but I have to say I'm agreeing more with stranded than snowflake

Me too ... although at same time I agree that he does not look 'convincing' as a keeper. I do think of all the goals, the Kennedy one was probably the one he looked the worst, but it has wicked bend on it and he was probably unsighted. Think for the 3 goals on Saturday, he didn't look particularly bad for any of them ... the defence did and I don't hear anyone shouting for Moore to be dropped for being completely done for the first.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Aug 2019 13:25

I don't think Virginia's ability is the issue here, I think his biggest problem is he's a boy amongst a defence of very strong personalities, I don't think he's experienced or confident enough.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 13:29

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal I know that's your honest opinion. But it's also my honest opinion that a first choice championship keeper should be doing better on some if not all of the goals.

From Saturday? Fair enough if that's how you see it but a well hit finish on a close 1 on 1 - a free header from 8 to 10 yards out are not high percentage saves for a keeper to make - he will be disappointed with the 3rd as could have got down quicker but may have been surprised that Miazga was turned so easily.

I accept your opinion but would also state my opinion that if the game had gone exactly the same but Martinez had been in goal at the weekend, he would not have received any stick or doubts in his ability and all 3 goals (certainly the 1st two) we would simply be discussing the poor defensive play that led to them.

If it had been Martinez I'd know he just had an off day. I thought the first was the worst personally. And I'm still not convinced he could do nothing about the two vs Chelsea.

No outright errors, but unconvincing and expect better.

But because you haven't seen much of Virginia, you have decided that he is just not good enough? Could have been an off day - just as likely to happen in game 1 as game 101 - not that I think he had an off day or was indeed not up to it. What if Southwood or Andresson had played - would you be writing them off?

I guess that's fair enough to hold the view you do but on the first, I don't think he got much wrong. Ball was down his right hand side, he would have expected the defender to either win that or ensure the player could only go down the line, so positioned himself correctly in that the most likely outcome was the player only managing to get the ball in. Once the defender was beaten, he came and closed and the shot was well struck - he will undoubtedly be disappointed that he didn't get a firmer hand but not a save I would expect a keeper to make 8 times out of 10.

Could we get a better keepr that Virginia - yes we could and look like we may have possibly done so - is he a bad keeper - nothing I have seen so far even begins to suggest that he is. He is good enough for this level but needs to make a decent save or 2 to give himself more confidence and get people off his back - those opportunities weren't really there on Saturday. Unfortunately for him, I think he is at the wrong club at the wrong time - he probably needs to be at a Blackburn or a Preston who are going to be comfortably mid-table and not following a keeper rightly revered by the fans - joining a club trying to re-build may not be the right fit - that is the only mistake that has potentially been made and it is one that lies with the coaches at both Everton and us and not with Virginia himself.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Aug 2019 13:42

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
From Saturday? Fair enough if that's how you see it but a well hit finish on a close 1 on 1 - a free header from 8 to 10 yards out are not high percentage saves for a keeper to make - he will be disappointed with the 3rd as could have got down quicker but may have been surprised that Miazga was turned so easily.

I accept your opinion but would also state my opinion that if the game had gone exactly the same but Martinez had been in goal at the weekend, he would not have received any stick or doubts in his ability and all 3 goals (certainly the 1st two) we would simply be discussing the poor defensive play that led to them.

If it had been Martinez I'd know he just had an off day. I thought the first was the worst personally. And I'm still not convinced he could do nothing about the two vs Chelsea.

But because you haven't seen much of Virginia, you have decided that he is just not good enough? Could have been an off day - just as likely to happen in game 1 as game 101 - not that I think he had an off day or was indeed not up to it. What if Southwood or Andresson had played - would you be writing them off?

I guess that's fair enough to hold the view you do but on the first, I don't think he got much wrong. Ball was down his right hand side, he would have expected the defender to either win that or ensure the player could only go down the line, so positioned himself correctly in that the most likely outcome was the player only managing to get the ball in. Once the defender was beaten, he came and closed and the shot was well struck - he will undoubtedly be disappointed that he didn't get a firmer hand but not a save I would expect a keeper to make 8 times out of 10.

Could we get a better keepr that Virginia - yes we could and look like we may have possibly done so - is he a bad keeper - nothing I have seen so far even begins to suggest that he is. He is good enough for this level but needs to make a decent save or 2 to give himself more confidence and get people off his back - those opportunities weren't really there on Saturday. Unfortunately for him, I think he is at the wrong club at the wrong time - he probably needs to be at a Blackburn or a Preston who are going to be comfortably mid-table and not following a keeper rightly revered by the fans - joining a club trying to re-build may not be the right fit - that is the only mistake that has potentially been made and it is one that lies with the coaches at both Everton and us and not with Virginia himself.

The third goal would be saved by most decent goalkeepers, from the position the striker found himself the ball was always going in that corner.
The kid has never started a competitive game before coming here and it shows.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 13:56

72 bus
Stranded
Snowflake Royal

The third goal would be saved by most decent goalkeepers, from the position the striker found himself the ball was always going in that corner.

I've already said I would expect him to be disappointed with the 3rd goal but if you actually look at the shot, it goes in right at the foot of the post and dips off it's first bounce right before Virginia's dive making a lot more difficult then it originally looks. Bigger question mark on that goal is Miazga's defending and if you look at his reaction after the goal, he knows he was at fault.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2019 14:02

windermereROYAL If he`s coming in to replace Virginia you have to look at the merits of using up one of the 5 match day loan places for someone sitting on the bench without the likely prospect of getting on.

Why ?
It’s a really easy call to make !
If there are 5 loan players already in the squad then Walker is on the bench.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 05 Aug 2019 20:04

My mate from napoles say that for two seasons he was first choice and played pretty well. Then made a bad mistake and the fans got on his back and lost the jersey. Says bit unlucky to be second choice.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Aug 2019 23:25

Nameless
windermereROYAL If he`s coming in to replace Virginia you have to look at the merits of using up one of the 5 match day loan places for someone sitting on the bench without the likely prospect of getting on.

Why ?
It’s a really easy call to make !
If there are 5 loan players already in the squad then no goalkeeper on the bench.

Improved the squad from your recommendation.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 06 Aug 2019 00:56

Stranded
72 bus
Stranded

I've already said I would expect him to be disappointed with the 3rd goal but if you actually look at the shot, it goes in right at the foot of the post and dips off it's first bounce right before Virginia's dive making a lot more difficult then it originally looks. Bigger question mark on that goal is Miazga's defending and if you look at his reaction after the goal, he knows he was at fault.

I watched the goals and while I didn't think any were his fault, the first was pretty poor effort and the third was a bit meh. Certainly no errors, just really underwhelming. He was even worse against Chelsea. Second goal was a weak hand to an average shot, almost the same as the third which was really straight at him, the 4th was just a comical mistake. If he hasn't got the presence, confidence and stature to dominate everywhere else, you need to be one hell of a shot stopper to make up for it, if he can't stop average shots its safe to say he can't tick that box either. We cannot afford another dope to come in and start changing games with poor errors or letting weak shots squirm in, so far he's ticked both those boxes in the last two games.

It's just a horrible panic signing getting a 19 year old with no experience to play in one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, likely to be in a relegation battle. How often have goalkeepers that young from any level walked into the English championship and set the world alight?

Big no from me, do whatever it takes to get a solid goalkeeper in. I don't care about him being the best shot stopper in the world, we just need to weed out the consistent mistakes and weak goals and give the defense some confidence. He is not that man.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Aug 2019 07:03

Agree, Virginia was nowhere to be seen for Chelsea's third and fourth and should have done much better.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 07:10

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal I know that's your honest opinion. But it's also my honest opinion that a first choice championship keeper should be doing better on some if not all of the goals.

I would expect any decent championship keeper to save all 3 on most days. First one was probably the hardest but having got down to it, should have kept it out. 2 went right through him 3 was so slow to get down, it was a pretty scuffed effort. His reactions seem very slow but I'd imagine your first competitive game being a championship game is probably quite a shock to the system trying to deal with the pace and intensity. He will get better, because it would be pretty hard for him to be worse. Very poor debut, he might as well have not been there.

The Cube

by The Cube » 06 Aug 2019 07:24

Platypuss Agree, Virginia was nowhere to be seen for Chelsea's third and fourth and should have done much better.

Pretty sure that will be too subtle for Finerain.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Aug 2019 08:00

Platypuss Agree, Virginia was nowhere to be seen for Chelsea's third and fourth and should have done much better.

Words fail me #finerain. :D

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 08:08

windermereROYAL

Words fail me #finerain. :D

To be fair it’s a long way from LA so he can hardly be seeing things clearly.
Not that he’s really in LA.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2019 08:22

FiNeRaIn
Stranded
72 bus

I watched the goals and while I didn't think any were his fault, the first was pretty poor effort and the third was a bit meh. Certainly no errors, just really underwhelming. He was even worse against Chelsea. Second goal was a weak hand to an average shot, almost the same as the third which was really straight at him, the 4th was just a comical mistake. If he hasn't got the presence, confidence and stature to dominate everywhere else, you need to be one hell of a shot stopper to make up for it, if he can't stop average shots its safe to say he can't tick that box either. We cannot afford another dope to come in and start changing games with poor errors or letting weak shots squirm in, so far he's ticked both those boxes in the last two games.

It's just a horrible panic signing getting a 19 year old with no experience to play in one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, likely to be in a relegation battle. How often have goalkeepers that young from any level walked into the English championship and set the world alight?

Big no from me, do whatever it takes to get a solid goalkeeper in. I don't care about him being the best shot stopper in the world, we just need to weed out the consistent mistakes and weak goals and give the defense some confidence. He is not that man.

Others are being subtle but I'll be less so:

SAM WALKER WAS IN GOAL FOR CHELSEA'S THIRD AND FOURTH GOALS.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Aug 2019 09:00

don't get the point of buying Virginia at all when we have our own well thought of youth keepers.
but sure, lets buy another keeper

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 09:03

well we didn't buy him. Isn't costing us a penny

I think from the sound of it, they've assessed him and realised he isn't ready. Made a mistake and are quickly rectifying it

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Aug 2019 10:12

Hound well we didn't buy him. Isn't costing us a penny

I think from the sound of it, they've assessed him and realised he isn't ready. Made a mistake and are quickly rectifying it

Or. He assessed our keepers and decided they were not up to it and decided he needed 2 keepers he could rely on?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 10:17

yep maybe

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 10:20

Hound well we didn't buy him. Isn't costing us a penny

Rectifying it would involve ending the loan. If he isn’t playing there is absolutely no point him being here.

219 posts