CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

219 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Rafael Cabral

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 10:23

dunno - still a better back up than Walker. Not costing us anything. Still gets the experience that Everton want him to have.

Maybe not the best use of a loan, but wouldn't say pointless

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 10:31

Hound dunno - still a better back up than Walker. Not costing us anything. Still gets the experience that Everton want him to have.

Hard to see how Everton would want him to spend a year not playing any football. He’d not be getting any kind of useful experience. If we decided he wasn’t ready then having him as backup is daft, if the number 1 does his cruciate in his first game we’d be stuffed. Your back up needs to be good enough to play every week if need be.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Aug 2019 10:33

Nameless
Hound dunno - still a better back up than Walker. Not costing us anything. Still gets the experience that Everton want him to have.

Hard to see how Everton would want him to spend a year not playing any football. He’d not be getting any kind of useful experience. If we decided he wasn’t ready then having him as backup is daft, if the number 1 does his cruciate in his first game we’d be stuffed. Your back up needs to be good enough to play every week if need be.

Nothing to suggest he isnt good enough to play every week if needs be.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 06 Aug 2019 10:43

Hound Maybe not the best use of a loan, but wouldn't say pointless

I'd argue its a pretty good use of a loan. We're desperate for GKs (especially a backup keeper), and signing a number 2 of a decent standard at Readings level is really difficult. Loaning a good performer at Prem U21 level is better than buying a less talented alternative, or sticking with a less talented youth GK.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 12:15

NewCorkSeth
Nameless

Nothing to suggest he isnt good enough to play every week if needs be.

I’d say the jury is out either way, but the suggestion was we are bringing in another keeper because we’ve decided Joao isn’t up to it. There was no need to bring in an inexperienced number 2 and I doubt Everton will be impressed if we ditch their kid and give him no football !

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 06 Aug 2019 12:33

Or Everton may look at the situation as the correct course of action for their player by RFC. They may also have realised that Virginia is not quite ready for 1st team Championship football. RFC have been given the responsibility of developing their player. Personally, I think the club have reassessed the timing of Virginia introduction to the 1st team. No doubt all assessments would have been discussed with Everton leading up to the club making a final decision. I am sure Virginia will stay with us and we’ll help his development but, for the short term he isn’t ready for the No1 jersey just yet and I would think that Everton now know this too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 12:51

Oilroyal Or Everton may look at the situation as the correct course of action for their player by RFC. They may also have realised that Virginia is not quite ready for 1st team Championship football. RFC have been given the responsibility of developing their player. Personally, I think the club have reassessed the timing of Virginia introduction to the 1st team. No doubt all assessments would have been discussed with Everton leading up to the club making a final decision. I am sure Virginia will stay with us and we’ll help his development but, for the short term he isn’t ready for the No1 jersey just yet and I would think that Everton now know this too.

There’s some bizarre thinking there !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 12:55

its bizarre thinking I agree with at this stage

He'll still get games - Cups, any injuries to Rafael etc. Games he wouldn't get at Everton this season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 13:02

It's got to be nailed on that Virginia goes back to Everton if we sign a new keeper. Walker was atrocious against Chelsea, but has otherwise had a decent pre-season from what I saw. And as others say, no point Virginia being here to sit on our bench. Everton get nothing out of that.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Aug 2019 13:09

Snowflake Royal It's got to be bailed on that Virginia goes back to Everton if we sign a new keeper. Walker was atrocious against Chelsea, but has otherwise had a decent pre-season from what I saw. And as others say, no point Virginia being here to sit on our bench. Everton get nothing out of that.

Sending him back also frees up a space in the match day squad for a January loan signing.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 06 Aug 2019 13:12

Unless Everton loan him out again. But if he returns then he’ll be back in their U23’s which he’s too good for. With us he’ll be in and around our first team squad, training for the first team and gaining match day experience and as the Hound says, he’ll get cup games too. He’ll gain more experience by staying with us on the bench than returning to Everton. Unless he gets offered a loan to a league 1 club, I can see him staying with us at least until January

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 13:14

yeah that

also remember if we do send him back, and Rafael gets an injury, then CBC is on the bench, with Walker starting. Not ideal.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 06 Aug 2019 14:17

Hound yeah that

also remember if we do send him back, and Rafael gets an injury, then CBC is on the bench, with Walker starting. Not ideal.

We survived a season with just a young Jamie Young as back-up. This is more than fine.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 14:59

Hound its bizarre thinking I agree with at this stage

He'll still get games - Cups, any injuries to Rafael etc. Games he wouldn't get at Everton this season

Would he get Cup games ? Might Walker, or Andresson or CDC be used ? If we don’t think Virginia is up to it why would we not want one of our own keepers to get the experience ?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 15:20

CBC is a 16 year old GK. Forget potential and ability, surely he is 2 years or so away from first team football? It's not a position for kids.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Aug 2019 15:38

NewCorkSeth Nothing to suggest Virginia isnt good enough to play every week if needs be.

For them to have made a move, I'd say there very likely is, and they see a lot more of him than we do.
Btw, wasn't Walker being talked up a couple weeks ago? Having good pre season, only had one two bad games last year, etc etc.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Aug 2019 15:55

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Nothing to suggest Virginia isnt good enough to play every week if needs be.

For them to have made a move, I'd say there very likely is, and they see a lot more of him than we do.
Btw, wasn't Walker being talked up a couple weeks ago? Having good pre season, only had one two bad games last year, etc etc.

We are presuming that Gomes didnt want 2 new keepers in that scenario. It is entirely possible that Gomes did not rate Walker and the youth keepers so highlighted he wanted 2 new keepers in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 16:07

Nothing has changed with Walker. He is ok, has a clanger in him

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Aug 2019 16:41

Walker's a perfectly adequate back up keeper.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 06 Aug 2019 17:10

Nameless
windermereROYAL
Platypuss Agree, Virginia was nowhere to be seen for Chelsea's third and fourth and should have done much better.

Words fail me #finerain. :D

To be fair it’s a long way from LA so he can hardly be seeing things clearly.
Not that he’s really in LA.

Yeah I'll take the roast for mistaking Walker, not even going to defend it. The second was still poor.

I have been here for four and a half years, any honest mod can see the posting IP's in that time frame. I am sorry you are in a council estate in Slough.

219 posts