CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

219 posts
Stevie G

Re: CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

by Stevie G » 06 Aug 2019 20:39

All seems a bit fortunte that we had a need post Saturday and we've found and signed what appears to be a very sound solution in just 3 days. Maybe, just maybe, Jose had the potential identified and needed to convince the board, in which case I suggest there's a plan and room for Virginia.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 20:45

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews Massively reserving judgement on this one. Hope we stick with Virginia for now.

:lol:

Glad you know so much about a goalkeeper you hadn't heard of until an hour ago. :roll:

:| not said a word, just laughing at the thought you would rather stick with an unproven 19-year-old goalkeeper rather than a goalkeeper who has played in seria A and is a full Brazilian international. I have no clue what this dude is like, but i think your on your own if you honestly would 'stick with virginia'

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 20:52

2 inches shorter than Virginia apparently. Fun.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2019 20:57

WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal :lol:

Glad you know so much about a goalkeeper you hadn't heard of until an hour ago. :roll:

:| not said a word, just laughing at the thought you would rather stick with an unproven 19-year-old goalkeeper rather than a goalkeeper who has played in seria A and is a full Brazilian international. I have no clue what this dude is like, but i think your on your own if you honestly would 'stick with virginia'

Virginia has done nothing to show he can or cannot hack first team football yet, he deserves the first shot at nailing down the first choice spot imo. Rafael may have been all of the things you said he is but a long time ago. The guy was available for free but came to us, says quite a lot. He might well be brilliant but not worth getting excited about just yet.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 21:00

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews Glad you know so much about a goalkeeper you hadn't heard of until an hour ago. :roll:

Virginia has done nothing to show he can or cannot hack first team football yet, he deserves the first shot at nailing down the first choice spot imo. Rafael may have been all of the things you said he is but a long time ago. The guy was available for free but came to us, says quite a lot. He might well be brilliant but not worth getting excited about just yet.

No he oxf*rd doesn’t. I’m not risking our season derailing before it even gets going because we’re sentimentally going to play a child in goal, he’s not even our player ffs.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 21:02

CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal

No he oxf*rd doesn’t. I’m not risking our season derailing before it even gets going because we’re sentimentally going to play a child in goal, he’s not even our player ffs.

OMA making himself look a twat shocker

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Aug 2019 21:03

CountryRoyal 2 inches shorter than Virginia apparently. Fun.

Yeah, but he looks and plays bigger than that.
Right? :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2019 21:05

CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal

Please explain the qualities Rafael possess that make him a better goalkeeper than Virginia, I take it you've seen lots of him yeah? Seen him play lots?

My guess is you have no idea what you're talking about and are so excited that someone who played twice for Brazil has signed for us. Its pretty meaningless, Rafael has hardly played a first team game in two years and was clearly not in demand by any clubs who play in top leagues. Virginia started as first choice and has only played the one game, he should get first shot at being number 1. At least give him a few games before judgement is passed.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 21:09

Old Man Andrews
CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews Virginia has done nothing to show he can or cannot hack first team football yet, he deserves the first shot at nailing down the first choice spot imo. Rafael may have been all of the things you said he is but a long time ago. The guy was available for free but came to us, says quite a lot. He might well be brilliant but not worth getting excited about just yet.

Please explain the qualities Rafael possess that make him a better goalkeeper than Virginia, I take it you've seen lots of him yeah? Seen him play lots?

My guess is you have no idea what you're talking about and are so excited that someone who played twice for Brazil has signed for us. Its pretty meaningless, Rafael has hardly played a first team game in two years and was clearly not in demand by any clubs who play in top leagues. Virginia started as first choice and has only played the one game, he should get first shot at being number 1. At least give him a few games before judgement is passed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2019 21:19

So your argument is that because Rafael is older than Virginia he is automatically a better goalkeeper? Why weren't you calling for Walker to be played ahead of Martinez last season then? The answer is because Martinez was given the opportunity to show his worth, just like Virginia should be. If after the next two games he had proven he cannot cut it then fine give Rafael the chance to show what he can do.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 21:21

Old Man Andrews So your argument is that because Rafael is older than Virginia he is automatically a better goalkeeper? Why weren't you calling for Walker to be played ahead of Martinez last season then? The answer is because Martinez was given the opportunity to show his worth, just like Virginia should be. If after the next two games he had proven he cannot cut it then fine give Rafael the chance to show what he can do.

No, I'm not arguing, that's what you do on every thread with anyone who has a different opinion to you.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 Aug 2019 21:43

OMA has been on some funny stuff lately with the drivel getting worse but this takes the biscuit.

Ok let's play an Everton Youngster instead of an experienced goalkeeper who is actually our goalkeeper.

Personally I would send him back to Everton. Would you like to go too?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Aug 2019 21:53

Reading4eva OMA has been on some funny stuff lately with the drivel getting worse but this takes the biscuit.

Ok let's play an Everton Youngster instead of an experienced goalkeeper who is actually our goalkeeper.

I'd like the goalkeeper with the most ability to play in goal for us, doesnt matter if he is 16 or 36 or if he is on loan or owned by us. You have absolutely no idea which of the two is the better goalkeeper and the better fit for our system, none of us do at this stage.

Stick to Bournemouth.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 21:57

Old Man Andrews
Reading4eva OMA has been on some funny stuff lately with the drivel getting worse but this takes the biscuit.

I'd like the goalkeeper with the most ability to play in goal for us, doesnt matter if he is 16 or 36 or if he is on loan or owned by us. You have absolutely no idea which of the two is the better goalkeeper and the better fit for our system, none of us do at this stage.

Stick to Bournemouth.

I know which one has professional experience and has successfully played at a higher level. I know which one I've seen and not been impressed with. I know which one seems a bigger risk. And I know which one we might get benefits from beyond this season.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Aug 2019 22:02

Is it just me, or did we actually sign 3 players tonight?

Crazy.

Is this out first Brazilian?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Aug 2019 22:04

No idea if Rafael will fit the bill or even be first choice. We assume he will as he has played for Santos, Sampdoria and Napoli so he must have some talent and have a lot more experience than both Virginia and probably Walker put together. Additionally he is likely to be comfortable with playing out from the back as I don’t recall too many Italian and Brazilian sides consistently opting for the long clearances up field.

Because he is that much older and been at some top clubs he is likely to inspire more confidence in the defence and, initially, amongst supporters. Whether it works out that way remains to be seen.

Presuming Virginia is likely to dropped to second choice but who knows what JG is thinking he may keep with Virginia until Rafael is more settled or JV does struggle.

If JV does become the favoured second choice, perhaps Walker will be sold/loaned somewhere.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Aug 2019 22:04

Football fans. It’s always black and white.

Personally we stick with both and see which one impresses. Clearly ones experienced the other isn’t.

Martinez was outstanding but the first time most of us saw him he was fcuking shit. (The 56-98 abortion of a game)

This could be an absolute master stroke. Who knows?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Aug 2019 22:05

Looks like I was right about Virginia then wasn't I 8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Aug 2019 22:05

skipper Is it just me, or did we actually sign 3 players tonight?

Crazy.

Is this out first Brazilian?

Piazon was Reading’s first Brazilian but Rafael is the first permanently signed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Aug 2019 22:06

Sutekh No idea if Rafael will fit the bill or even be first choice. We assume he will as he has played for Santos, Sampdoria and Napoli so he must have some talent and have a lot more experience than both Virginia and probably Walker put together. Additionally he is likely to be comfortable with playing out from the back as I don’t recall too many Italian and Brazilian sides consistently opting for the long clearances up field.

Because he is that much older and been at some top clubs he is likely to inspire more confidence in the defence and, initially, amongst supporters. Whether it works out that way remains to be seen.

Presuming Virginia is likely to dropped to second choice but who knows what JG is thinking he may keep with Virginia until Rafael is more settled or JV does struggle.

If JV does become the favoured second choice, perhaps Walker will be sold/loaned somewhere.

Yeah this.

219 posts