Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 10:46

Wizard Not impressed at all this. Whatever happened to the academy. What’s the point in having a top rated academy if you never let any of them play for the first team.

Hector, Tishbola, Stacey, there are a few million reasons to have a top class academy. It’s at least as much about what income it generates as it is about first team players

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Aug 2019 10:48

Wizard Not impressed at all this. Whatever happened to the academy. What’s the point in having a top rated academy if you never let any of them play for the first team.

Agree - our approach seems to have completely changed from blooding youth and it being a project...to owners wanting promotion & signing loads of foreigners. Chances are, if we are mid table, whilst fans will be happy with that, the owners won’t & Gomes might be the fall guy.

Agree we needed to sign some experienced/older players to supplement the squad we have & young players...but this seems very bizarre!

Have learnt not to get too excited after that transfer window when we got Vydra, John, Piazon, Sa etc

And for me the biggest issue is contract lengths - has João done enough in his career to date to warrant a 4-yr contract? 2-3 would have been more sensible really. Imagine by offering a longer contract we’ve managed to bring down the yearly costs to a certain degree

Would like to see at least Olise & McIntyre in the matchday squad. And now the squad is large again, I’d like to see us shift Barrow & maybe even Swift too

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Aug 2019 10:57

NotARacist

Rinomhota?

Olise will 100% be around the first team and with Blackett out injured Richards will be in and around the first team for sure.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2019 11:03

They will play in the first team - what these deals mean is that they won't make up a large % of the first team - which make sense.

Rinohomota is one of the 1st names on the team sheet - Loader & Olise will be in and out of the side - Barratt likely on the bench now. Our full back over is Richards and Watson at the mo.

These moves mean that for an Academy player to make the first team they have to be the best option - not the only option.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2019 11:39

If Yiadom is out, Howe or Watson will come in. If Blackett is out, Richards comes in. If Moore is out, McIntyre comes in. If Swift is out, Olise comes in. Loader will be there abouts somewhere. Rino starts. Barrett will be around the squad and play in the cups. Holsgrove I reckon might well do too.

There's still plenty of Academy presence. Truth is, they are probably not good enough (yet) to form the basis of a competitive team in the champ.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Aug 2019 11:42

How long until these guys blend into a squad? Ideally we'd have had them for pre-season. Don't be surprised if some are bit part until the first international break.

I'd expect yesterday's 3 signings to go straight in; allow Boye and Puscas a bit longer.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 07 Aug 2019 11:47

WestYorksRoyal How long until these guys blend into a squad? Ideally we'd have had them for pre-season. Don't be surprised if some are bit part until the first international break.

I'd expect yesterday's 3 signings to go straight in; allow Boye and Puscas a bit longer.

Yeah, yesterday were well needed and have three sessions to prepare.

Maybe Boye also.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2019 12:55

Gunny Fishcake Reminds of of the late Tommy Burns transfer spree when he signed about eight players in one day back at Elm Park in 1998 . We were all so excited, finished 11th that season

The magnificent 7. We got relegated.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 07 Aug 2019 12:58

None of us know how this is all going to pan out. Let's just enjoy the ride for now I suppose.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Aug 2019 13:10

StellaPlease None of us know how this is all going to pan out. Let's just enjoy the ride for now I suppose.

A lot better than it appeared on Saturday. Staying up has to be the priority.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2019 13:17

That stats man Ram put up some stuff on twitter about Pele, Puscas and Joao. Stats wise they are very strong - surprisingly Joao particularly. Have to think Weds missed a trick with him really

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Aug 2019 13:20

Lower West
StellaPlease None of us know how this is all going to pan out. Let's just enjoy the ride for now I suppose.

A lot better than it appeared on Saturday. Staying up has to be the priority.

Staying up & sensibly building brick by brick is different to gunning for promotion & then sacking the manager because the team is mid table

I’m not against any 1 of the transfers, more the general noise of Gomes saying the owners want promotion. I fear he gets sacked, then we yet again restart the process of hiring & building a new team, whilst trying to offload players on long contracts.

NotARacist

by NotARacist » 07 Aug 2019 13:21

Gones just said Puscas and maybe one more :shock: :shock: :shock:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Aug 2019 13:24

Hendo
Gunny Fishcake Reminds of of the late Tommy Burns transfer spree when he signed about eight players in one day back at Elm Park in 1998 . We were all so excited, finished 11th that season

After the last few years, I think the vast majority of us will take 11th this year!

Key words being 'the vast majority'.
Brace yourself, however, for some clamor for Top 10 after this haul.
Juicy opportunities for criticism now await.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 07 Aug 2019 13:29

NotARacist Gones just said Puscas and maybe one more :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gotta be Ejaria on a permanent. Liverpool won't loan him and we probably need one more midfielder, I didn't see any creativity in the last game from our midfield.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 07 Aug 2019 13:39

What the f@ck is going on.

Got to be Ejaria.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Aug 2019 13:47

The way the academy players work is that you introduce them into a team that is strong enough that they are not essential to it. That gives them a chance to develop and for us to judge their ability without risky poor results. You don't just throw a load of untested academy players into a starting eleven and cross your fingers - that's asking for trouble.

Even academy players that make the first team must have barely a 1 in 5 chance of ending up good enough to play at championship level. It would be crazy to have a first team that is dependent on them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2019 13:50

Hitchytwo

Gotta be Ejaria on a permanent. Liverpool won't loan him and we probably need one more midfielder, I didn't see any creativity in the last game from our midfield.

Gomes said it would be a loan. So unless Liverpool have budged on their position, it won't be him.

With Blackett likely out for a month, wouldn't surprise me if it is a LB.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Aug 2019 13:55

Had it on decent authority that the EFL has approved a transaction that has allowed Dai to buy the training ground at Bearwood at a profit, hence freeing up our recent FFP restrictions. The ground was already sold last season.

However, it does also feel like some good structuring of deals will help in the near term as well.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 07 Aug 2019 13:55

Stranded
Hitchytwo

Gomes said it would be a loan. So unless Liverpool have budged on their position, it won't be him.

With Blackett likely out for a month, wouldn't surprise me if it is a LB.

He says it's a midfielder. Also says he's confident of it happening.

This is all very surprising.

The 4 new boys trained today so we should be seeing at least some of them in the side on Saturday. Need to not lose that game and start gaining some momentum early doors. Feel their wingers will be dangerous as always though.

1826 posts