Are we screwed?

169 posts
lightning strikes

Re: Are we screwed?

by lightning strikes » 09 Aug 2019 06:52

Most amazing transfer window ever, very exciting. But:

Pele got pretty average reviews at forest.
Joau is extremely inconsistent according to Wednesday fans.
Boye only seems to get 3 or 4 goals a season.
Puscus has never scored more than 10.
Ovi was the weakest of the five loan signings last season and the midfield looked weak with him and swift in a three.

Are we getting over excited?

On the positive side Pele may benefit from a Portugese manager. Joau may get better with regular playing time. Puscas may get better with age. Ovi might be direct competition with swift or play with him in a midfield diamond.

Most uncertainty I see is upfront. Is he going to play two strikers of Joau and Puscas? Don't see either of these playing wide in a three.

Have we returned to having a massively bloated squad of eventually unhappy players?

Do you think we've over done it on the transfers? We feel a bit like qpr or Portsmouth under Redknapp. Worried that there are too many options and they are never going to gel.

From me it's a shame Nova is never going to get a chance. Loader needs a loan, hasn't shown enough to suggest he's ready for the championship yet. I hope Olise is first choice off the bench, he's class and I want to see him grow with us.

Dazed and confused.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Aug 2019 14:12

Anyone we're able to sign will have some questions surrounding them.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Aug 2019 14:19

lightning strikes Most amazing transfer window ever, very exciting. But:

Ovi was the weakest of the five loan signings last season and the midfield looked weak with him and swift in a three.

On the positive side Pele may benefit from a Portugese manager. Joau may get better with regular playing time. Puscas may get better with age. Ovi might be direct competition with swift or play with him in a midfield diamond.

Most uncertainty I see is upfront. Is he going to play two strikers of Joau and Puscas? Don't see either of these playing wide in a three.

Have we returned to having a massively bloated squad of eventually unhappy players?

Do you think we've over done it on the transfers? We feel a bit like qpr or Portsmouth under Redknapp. Worried that there are too many options and they are never going to gel.

From me it's a shame Nova is never going to get a chance. Loader needs a loan, hasn't shown enough to suggest he's ready for the championship yet. I hope Olise is first choice off the bench, he's class and I want to see him grow with us.

Dazed and confused.

bet your a hoot down the pub

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Aug 2019 14:24

Dazed and confused.

Good post, and a much needed antidote to the excitement expressed here (by the likes of me).

I am aware that when it looked like we were getting noone in I spotted sour grapes and proclaimed I was actually happy not to have a squad of mercenary strangers and was happy to have the Reading way back of seeing our academy talent shine, players who would put their all in for the club.

So now I'm a bit :? :shock: and not sure what to think.

On the one hand yay we've got all these signings, some of which will be good, but we have suddenly just blaotd the team with expensive mercenaries who aren't gelled. Argh.

Putting a lot of trust in Gomes here, and I'm hoping he has done the right thing. This will of course make or break him. If he pulls it off and gets these guys to play well I see us being promotion candidates in the next 2-3 seasons. If he fails we'll be back where we started. At least some of these guys are only loan players.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Aug 2019 14:31

Interesting view. At least these signings are a bit younger. If it doesn't work out for Puscas, Jaoa and Rafael, I'd still expect them to be easier to shift than Aluko, Edwards, Meyler, Baldock and Mannone. Many of the others, as you say, are on loan. I understand concerns they may not perform as people are hoping, but I don't feel like we're royally screwing ourselves if that's the case.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2019 14:40

We haven't really bloated the squad - something like 22 players left this summer and 10 have been signed (admittedly Miazga/Ejaria make up 2 of those numbers who left/came in).

Signings have been in areas where we were light on real options:

With Miazga and Morrision we now have 3 senior CBs and an up and coming one in McIntyre
GK - we have 3 keepers now who can challenge for the shirt with Rafael the likely number 1
Up front - we have 2 stronger options plus Meite as front line - Novakovich, Loader and Baldock behind
In midfield, we now have 2 options for each position.

All of this is supplemented by youth, who have had it shown that they will stand a chance if they are good enough. As Gomes says, he cares not where the players have come from, those who show they can execute his plans the best will play. The squad feels about the right size now with potential top end Champ quality in all positions. The task now is translating that into being a top end Championship side - that is the tricky bit.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 09 Aug 2019 15:06

linkenholtroyal

Dazed and confused.

New entertainments manager for Butlins

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 09 Aug 2019 15:37

ankeny
linkenholtroyal

Dazed and confused.

New entertainments manager for Butlins

It's fair to say I'm regularly accused of being too negative. :lol:

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 09 Aug 2019 17:40

Dazed and can’t spell.

Well 4 from 8 international appearances sounds good, until you realise two were against Mighty Malta.. Still can’t wait to see him in hoops. :D

169 posts