BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

142 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2019 17:01

All in all a very poor game from us. Also from Hull. Neither side looked particularly good. The first half was atrocious from us. the formation went a little like this:

-----------------Virginia
Yiadom--Moore--Miazga--Richards
---------------Pele---Rinomhota
Meite-----------Swift---------------Boye
-------------------Joao

Despite the wide forwards we had no width. Boye, Swift and Meite were isolated somehow. Of the 3 Boye was the only who managed to make any contribution and those came from him either abandoning his position to get the ball or from some clever play by Richards. Joao did well in the first half. I would say only he and Richards were any good for the first 45. Boye showed flashes too I guess.

The goals were sloppy. We gave away so many half chances from poor passing and didnt seem to be awake. Pele was particularly guilty of this. He looked downright lazy. Hopefully he can adapt.

Virginia was abysmal in this half. Truly.

The second half was very different.

We played (for most of it) a:
-------------------Pele
-----Rinomhota---Swift
------------------Joao
------------Meite--Puscas

To great effect. In fact I would say every player improved immensely in the second half.

Swift played in a roaming role which led to him sitting on the left flank for large periods of the game. From there he pinged exquisite passes up and across to our large forwards and more importantly: Yiadom. Yids was unstoppable at times for the Hull LB (who earned about 5 yellow cards but didnt get one). Sadly his final ball was either too late or too poor. A symptom we are all aware of here at Reading.

Rinomhota looked much better back on the Right and alongside Swift. He was combative, pacy and won a good few balls, tackles, headers and free kicks. Joao did really well in the deeper role. He has superb hold up play. Sadly Meite and Puscas did not have their scoring boots on and we didnt benefit from his performance as much as we should have.

All this came undone with the introduction of Adam. He was terrible from his first touch of the ball. His sole contribution of note was the pass (a simple one) for Puscas' first or second shot. The one that hit the side net.

All in all I think we were bad but there is reason for hope. Another penalty we should really have been awarded (cancelled out by Yiadoms hand ball in the first half), hitting the woodwork twice (1 was unlucky, the other was poor shooting) and we really did look dangerous for long spells. But we need to back up that dangerous play with some oxf*rd points.

Virginia - 1 - Better second half but no excuse for their first. I could have saved that.
Yiadom - 5 - Poor first half, good second half.
Moore - 3 - When Hull threatened our CBs were nowhere to be seen.
Miazga - 3 - See Above.
Richards - 6 - MOTM for me. Didnt do much wrong that I can remember.
Pele - 2 - Better in the second but looks like a DM version of Ilori without the passing range.
Rinomhota - 5 - Fine. Struggled first half. But they all did.
Swift - 5 - Was excellent second half but poor set pieces. We need better from him on dead ball situations.
Meite - 3 - Poor.
Boye - 3 - Could be a tidy player. Great pass in the first half. Struggled to track him man and his positioning was a bit off.
Joao - 6 - Tidy player. I hope we can keep him motivated.

Adams - 0 - Worst player on the pitch. Sorry Charlie. That was Meyler-esque.
Puscas - ? - Hard to rate. He should have scored but then again he was getting into good scoring positons. positions I wouldnt expect many of our team to get into.
Morrison - N/A

EDIT - Oh and the commentary? Awful. Dellor wont shut the oxf*rd up about short goal kicks. We oxf*rd get it. You never shut up about it. Christ. Do one buddy. The refusing to call Pele by his name was insufferable and disrespectful. And Glen spoke utter bollocks about Boye. Boye is a winger Glen. Thats where he plays.
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 10 Aug 2019 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

Chameleon

Re: BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

by Chameleon » 10 Aug 2019 17:07

So 1 gift of a goal, a surefire penalty denied and hitting the woodwork twice resulting in a 2-1 defeat away, not exactly awful.

Very very rough first 35 odd minutes, it looked like most of the team had never played together...

Tuesday is a big game, but there were promising signs that we will become a very decent side. No need to panic yet.

Some extremely physical defence from Hull, would be a good idea to be up to scratch on set pieces and now we have some big lumps in the form of Morrison, Puscas, Joao to get on the end of them.
Last edited by Chameleon on 10 Aug 2019 17:10, edited 3 times in total.

biff

by biff » 10 Aug 2019 17:09

BFTIfollow.

Played bloody well in parts. Meite needs to see his doctor about a Diabetes check, because there is no way that man can feel his feet.

Puscas, Joao and Boye looked very handy, would love to see Boye for Meite, his close control is unreal. Richards and Yiadom brilliant. Some tweaking to be done, but if we play like that, and Rafael doesnt have crisp packet wrists, we're going places.

Special mention for Tim Dellor. The autist wouldnt do our new player the courtesy of using his name because he isnt quite as good as the "real" Pele. He needs to take a look at himself. "Gomes, or Pele if you like." Not if we like Tim, it's his name. Bring back Hufford.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Aug 2019 17:12

biff BFTIfollow.

Played bloody well in parts. Meite needs to see his doctor about a Diabetes check, because there is no way that man can feel his feet.

Puscas, Joao and Boye looked very handy, would love to see Boye for Meite, his close control is unreal. Richards and Yiadom brilliant. Some tweaking to be done, but if we play like that, and Rafael doesnt have crisp packet wrists, we're going places.

Special mention for Tim Dellor. The autist wouldnt do our new player the courtesy of using his name because he isnt quite as good as the "real" Pele. He needs to take a look at himself. "Gomes, or Pele if you like." Not if we like Tim, it's his name. Bring back Hufford.

:|

Name on the back of his shirt is Gomes.

biff

by biff » 10 Aug 2019 17:18

sandman
biff BFTIfollow.

:|

Name on the back of his shirt is Gomes.

Missing the point entirely.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Aug 2019 17:22

The point is the name on his shirt is Gimes so it is entirely reasonable to call him that.

Any opportunity to have a go at Tim though...

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Aug 2019 17:23

NewCorkSeth Placeholder post.

Booooooooo. Placeholder BFTG threads should be banned

Cheat. Cheat, Cheat !!

biff

by biff » 10 Aug 2019 17:27

sandman The point is the name on his shirt is Gimes so it is entirely reasonable to call him that.

Did you not hear his reasoning? Nothing to do with his shirt, everything to do with Tim deciding he wasnt good enough for the name everyone else calls him. Out of order.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2019 17:29

John Madejski's Wallet
NewCorkSeth Placeholder post.

Booooooooo. Placeholder BFTG threads should be banned

Cheat. Cheat, Cheat !!

I needed to vent but wanted to switch to my laptop. Sorry. :oops:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Aug 2019 17:39

So.... we are going to get better when they gel is the general impression.

I’ll settle for that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Aug 2019 17:41

NewCorkSeth All in all a very poor game from us. Also from Hull. Neither side looked particularly good. The first half was atrocious from us. the formation went a little like this:

-------------------Joao

Despite the wide forwards we had no width. Boye, Swift and Meite were isolated somehow. Of the 3 Boye was the only who managed to make any contribution and those came from him either abandoning his position to get the ball or from some clever play by Richards. Joao did well in the first half. I would say only he and Richards were any good for the first 45. Boye showed flashes too I guess.

The goals were sloppy. We gave away so many half chances from poor passing and didnt seem to be awake. Pele was particularly guilty of this. He looked downright lazy. Hopefully he can adapt.

-------------------Pele
-----Rinomhota---Swift
------------------Joao

To great effect. In fact I would say every player improved immensely in the second half.

Swift played in a roaming role which led to him sitting on the left flank for large periods of the game. From there he pinged exquisite passes up and across to our large forwards and more importantly: Yiadom. Yids was unstoppable at times for the Hull LB (who earned about 5 yellow cards but didnt get one). Sadly his final ball was either too late or too poor. A symptom we are all aware of here at Reading.

Rinomhota looked much better back on the Right and alongside Swift. He was combative, pacy and won a good few balls, tackles, headers and free kicks. Joao did really well in the deeper role. He has superb hold up play. Sadly Meite and Puscas did not have their scoring boots on and we didnt benefit from his performance as much as we should have.

All this came undone with the introduction of Adam. He was terrible from his first touch of the ball. His sole contribution of note was the pass (a simple one) for Puscas' first or second shot. The one that hit the side net.

All in all I think we were bad but there is reason for hope. Another penalty we should really have been awarded (cancelled out by Yiadoms hand ball in the first half), hitting the woodwork twice (1 was unlucky, the other was poor shooting) and we really did look dangerous for long spells. But we need to back up that dangerous play with some oxf*rd points.

Virginia - 1 - Better second half but no excuse for their first. I could have saved that.
Miazga - 3 - See Above.
Pele - 2 - Better in the second but looks like a DM version of Ilori without the passing range.
Swift - 5 - Was excellent second half but poor set pieces. We need better from him on dead ball situations.
Meite - 3 - Poor.
Boye - 3 - Could be a tidy player. Great pass in the first half. Struggled to track him man and his positioning was a bit off.

Puscas - ? - Hard to rate. He should have scored but then again he was getting into good scoring positons. positions I wouldnt expect many of our team to get into.
Morrison - N/A

EDIT - Oh and the commentary? Awful. Dellor wont shut the oxf*rd up about short goal kicks. We oxf*rd get it. You never shut up about it. Christ. Do one buddy. The refusing to call Pele by his name was insufferable and disrespectful. And Glen spoke utter bollocks about Boye. Boye is a winger Glen. Thats where he plays.

Good stuff Seth. There is the makings of a very good starting 11 but only if Gomes gets his selection right. As soon as I saw Virginia starting my optimism faded. To get our strongest side on the pitch is going to be difficult as I don’t know how they can be fitted into a formation that will work.
Against a big Cardiff side Morrison needs to start.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2019 17:49

NewCorkSeth All in all a very poor game from us. Also from Hull. Neither side looked particularly good. The first half was atrocious from us. the formation went a little like this:

-------------------Joao

-------------------Pele
-----Rinomhota---Swift
------------------Joao

Miazga - 3 - See Above.
Meite - 3 - Poor.

Morrison - N/A

Cheers Seth

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Aug 2019 17:55

biff
sandman The point is the name on his shirt is Gimes so it is entirely reasonable to call him that.

Did you not hear his reasoning? Nothing to do with his shirt, everything to do with Tim deciding he wasnt good enough for the name everyone else calls him. Out of order.

Yep, Dim Tellor has to find a reason not to like particular players. He's yet to pick his scapegoat for this season but it seems Pelé could be an early front runner.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Aug 2019 18:17

Jeez
Do none of you do sarcasm or humour?

It was tongue-in-the-cheek stuff....he had Blakey with him for gawd sake

biff

by biff » 10 Aug 2019 18:19

Nah it was more than that. He was like a kid with a new toy. Embarrassing.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2019 18:22

Zip

-------------------Joao

-------------------Pele
-----Rinomhota---Swift
------------------Joao

Miazga - 3 - See Above.
Meite - 3 - Poor.

Morrison - N/A

Good stuff Seth. There is the makings of a very good starting 11 but only if Gomes gets his selection right. As soon as I saw Virginia starting my optimism faded. To get our strongest side on the pitch is going to be difficult as I don’t know how they can be fitted into a formation that will work.

Maybe yeah. Does anyone know how birmingham did last season against the physical sides?

Honestly based on today's second half I would not mind seeing:
-------------------Rafael
--------------------Pele
---------------Rino---Swift
-------------------Ejaria
--------------Meite---Joao

Felt91

by Felt91 » 10 Aug 2019 18:40

NewCorkSeth
Zip

-------------------Joao

-------------------Pele
-----Rinomhota---Swift
------------------Joao

Miazga - 3 - See Above.
Meite - 3 - Poor.

Morrison - N/A

Maybe yeah. Does anyone know how birmingham did last season against the physical sides?

--------------------Pele

Swap meite for Puscas and on paper that looks good to me.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2019 18:44

Felt91
NewCorkSeth
Zip

--------------------Pele

Swap meite for Puscas and on paper that looks good to me.

It'll take a lot to make me drop that cheerful chap. Meite will get a hot streak at some point. Keep him on till he makes a big mistake.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Aug 2019 18:45

biff Nah it was more than that. He was like a kid with a new toy. Embarrassing.
all in the opinion of the beholder

Check-out the alternatives :lol:

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 10 Aug 2019 18:50

biff Nah it was more than that. He was like a kid with a new toy. Embarrassing.

He spoils most games for me to be honest. The show is more about his opinion of players and the manager rather than just keeping us all up with the filed-play and commenting on the game. I once wrote him a polite email; this was when he got unbearable over Gomes in the early days of the appointment. He didn’t have the courtesy to write back.

He's rude and a borderline narcissist.

142 posts