CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

219 posts
skipper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Rafael Cabral

by skipper » 06 Aug 2019 22:09

Sutekh
skipper Is it just me, or did we actually sign 3 players tonight?

Crazy.

Is this out first Brazilian?

Piazon was Reading’s first Brazilian but Rafael is the first permanently signed.

Of course, how could I forget? Though he really wasnt that memorable tbh.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Aug 2019 22:09

Waiting for him to concede a goal from outside the box to see if it gets the same response that Virginia has got, somehow I doubt it.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Aug 2019 22:33

Nameless This guy hasn’t convinced me yet.
Brazil is notorious for having rubbish keepers (and brilliantplayers everywhere else).
I bet no one can name a half decent Brazilian keeper.
If you can I’ll run naked round Club1871 on Saturday.

Dida........

Taffarel.......

A couple from the Prem........

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Aug 2019 22:36

WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews
CountryRoyal
No he oxf*rd doesn’t. I’m not risking our season derailing before it even gets going because we’re sentimentally going to play a child in goal, he’s not even our player ffs.

Please explain the qualities Rafael possess that make him a better goalkeeper than Virginia, I take it you've seen lots of him yeah? Seen him play lots?

My guess is you have no idea what you're talking about and are so excited that someone who played twice for Brazil has signed for us. Its pretty meaningless, Rafael has hardly played a first team game in two years and was clearly not in demand by any clubs who play in top leagues. Virginia started as first choice and has only played the one game, he should get first shot at being number 1. At least give him a few games before judgement is passed.

I agree with OMA on this one.

What if Rafael plays and lets in 5 clangers? Then JV confidence will be shot. Maybe we have signed Cabral as a Rob Green for Chelsea type player to train the younger keepers?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 22:49

leon Martinez was outstanding but the first time most of us saw him he was fcuking shit. (The 56-98 abortion of a game)

So you’re saying we should loan back Virginia in 7 years time when he’s good? :P

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Aug 2019 22:55

The Enfield Royal71
WoodleyRoyal
Old Man Andrews Please explain the qualities Rafael possess that make him a better goalkeeper than Virginia, I take it you've seen lots of him yeah? Seen him play lots?

My guess is you have no idea what you're talking about and are so excited that someone who played twice for Brazil has signed for us. Its pretty meaningless, Rafael has hardly played a first team game in two years and was clearly not in demand by any clubs who play in top leagues. Virginia started as first choice and has only played the one game, he should get first shot at being number 1. At least give him a few games before judgement is passed.

What if Rafael plays and lets in 5 clangers? Then JV confidence will be shot.

Or maybe it would spur him on and provide additional motivation for him to win his place back?
He's young for a pro, but he will have been in organized football for a long time.
Competition for starting places. We have it at most other positions now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Aug 2019 23:01

CountryRoyal
leon Martinez was outstanding but the first time most of us saw him he was fcuking shit. (The 56-98 abortion of a game)

So you’re saying we should loan back Virginia in 7 years time when he’s good? :P

Well it’s a plan.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Aug 2019 01:39

Brazil is notorious for having rubbish keepers (and brilliantplayers everywhere else).

Haha, good fishing. First cast, too. Fish in a barrel.
Well anyway, I could. But you often don’t face music and do a runner, so won’t bother.
(You aren’t alone in that, but you know how I am about those with an incapacity in a discussion forum to concede a point.)
Plus, there’s a chance one or two in 1871 would rather not see you naked anyway.:)

NotARacist

by NotARacist » 07 Aug 2019 07:53

windermereROYAL Waiting for him to concede a goal from outside the box to see if it gets the same response that Virginia has got, somehow I doubt it.

+1

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Aug 2019 10:59

pleased with this, adds things to the squad we are very short on

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 11:03

Denver Royal

Haha, good fishing. First cast, too. Fish in a barrel.
Well anyway, I could. But you often don’t face music and do a runner, so won’t bother.
(You aren’t alone in that, but you know how I am about those with an incapacity in a discussion forum to concede a point.)
Plus, there’s a chance one or two in 1871 would rather not see you naked anyway.:)

Don’t worry, Saturday there won’t be anyone around as we are away at Hull !

biff

by biff » 07 Aug 2019 11:51

People acting like the club panic bought Rafael in because a few twitter accounts hammered Virginia for being young. :lol: :lol: Sam Walker is the pony one that we're replacing. Everyone ratchets down a place, with Rafael number 1.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Aug 2019 12:00

I have never seen this guy play, never even heard of him.

Having said that I get the feeling he'll be better than Joao.

Before you mock me, my feelings are generally right half the time.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Aug 2019 13:52

Regardless as to whether the new signing is a better/more/experienced keeper than the 19 yr old here on loan, the fact that Rafael has been brought will be an immense kick in the teeth to Virginia's confidence; he must think that the manager doesn't rate him.

As confidence is a key aspect for a keeper, one wonders what sort of mindset he will have if he is on the bench and called to come on.....

One hopes that the club manage him well whilst he is here - both on and off the pitch - as this is part of his learning experience as a keeper.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Aug 2019 13:58

Mr Angry Regardless as to whether the new signing is a better/more/experienced keeper than the 19 yr old here on loan, the fact that Rafael has been brought will be an immense kick in the teeth to Virginia's confidence; he must think that the manager doesn't rate him.

As confidence is a key aspect for a keeper, one wonders what sort of mindset he will have if he is on the bench and called to come on.....

One hopes that the club manage him well whilst he is here - both on and off the pitch - as this is part of his learning experience as a keeper.

Subject to any more loan signings, Virginia might not make the bench in a matchday squad. We have 4 loans with him at the moment don't we? We can have 5 total, so he might squeak in

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Aug 2019 17:10

3points
Mr Angry Regardless as to whether the new signing is a better/more/experienced keeper than the 19 yr old here on loan, the fact that Rafael has been brought will be an immense kick in the teeth to Virginia's confidence; he must think that the manager doesn't rate him.

Subject to any more loan signings, Virginia might not make the bench in a matchday squad. We have 4 loans with him at the moment don't we? We can have 5 total, so he might squeak in

Loans so far; Virginia, Pele, Miazga and Boyé - one more is allowed in a match day squad.

Puscas, should it happen, will be permanent. The other rumoured midfielder could be either and that will be it until January.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2019 10:10

I tend to think that if someone is going to make it as a pro they have to be mentally resilient enough to deal with this sort of thing.

I'm sure Gomes will be managing the issue.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Aug 2019 13:52

Mr Angry Regardless as to whether the new signing is a better keeper than the 19 yr old here on loan, the fact that Rafael has been brought will be an immense kick in the teeth to Virginia's confidence; he must think that the manager doesn't rate him.

Well, we have to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win. The better player has to start, end of. He's only on loan here anyway and we have no particular allegiance to him, and nor him us.
Young players get dropped all the time. Olise, Loader, etc. They suck it up and kick on. Virginia will have been dropped several times at various age groups since he started playing football.
Yes, he may not be thrilled with Cabral's arrival, just as other youngsters may not be thrilled with all our other signings.
But that's the business they have chosen to be in. It's a tough business, and it's not for everyone.
Don't know how he's going to react because I don't know him. If he's fragile then maybe he's not for us anyway.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Aug 2019 08:30

Rafa made a very good start!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2019 10:20

Snowball Rafa made a very good start!

Yep. Absolute no brainer that the place is his to lose now.

Not necessarily tested enough to know for sure he's a great keeper, but has done enough (not hard at Reading #1 spot tbh) and most importantly has won the admiration of the fans and the defence who will surely trust him more than the kid.

219 posts