Free away travel

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Free away travel

by Hendo » 03 Aug 2019 20:47

Nameless
Hendo
STAR Liaison
Just the 15 league games. No word ever about the cups.

You’ll have to find your own tenner for Wycombe.

:D

Was thinking more about Newcastle away in the second round :wink:

Second round is still regionalised isn’t it ?
So maybe Plymouth !
You’d think the club might extend the offer for long distance cup games but I don’t think we should expect them to or feel badly done by if they don’t.

No absolutely not, it was more of just a general wondering.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Aug 2019 10:45

It looks like there is a limit of five free coaches for away travel. I've not got a problem with this. The reason why I say this is because I rang the ticket office and asked about it. The operator gave me the Star phone number and I got through to an extremely rude man. I asked whether there was a place on a coach and he said that the WBA tickets had been booked 'for ages'. I asked how many coaches and he said 'five'. When I asked whether there would be another coach he said 'do you expect a coach all to yourself?' Realising I was fighting a losing battle (never argue with an idiot) I asked whether Mr Dai could give me a lift, to which he replied 'Maybe, if he's in the country'.

This is still a fantastic deal by the owners, but I would rather it was run by the club, not by a bunch of people who see themselves as more important. I've seen no real evidence of the value Star give to either the fans or the club and I have now cancelled my membership.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Aug 2019 10:50

Hampshire Royal It looks like there is a limit of five free coaches for away travel. I've not got a problem with this. The reason why I say this is because I rang the ticket office and asked about it. The operator gave me the Star phone number and I got through to an extremely rude man. I asked whether there was a place on a coach and he said that the WBA tickets had been booked 'for ages'. I asked how many coaches and he said 'five'. When I asked whether there would be another coach he said 'do you expect a coach all to yourself?' Realising I was fighting a losing battle (never argue with an idiot) I asked whether Mr Dai could give me a lift, to which he replied 'Maybe, if he's in the country'.

This is still a fantastic deal by the owners, but I would rather it was run by the club, not by a bunch of people who see themselves as more important. I've seen no real evidence of the value Star give to either the fans or the club and I have now cancelled my membership.

I think it is more a case of there being a cut off date for when STAR can book coaches with Horeseman.

I would say looking to book coach travel the day before the game isn't the wisest move as it is unlikely STAR would put on an additional coach for just a handful of people.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Aug 2019 11:04

STAR are a bunch of self serving idiots who do nothing for the club.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Aug 2019 11:08

That's fair enough. It's also reasonable to say that not everyone who books turns up. If theStar bloke had said that I could come on the off-chance, I may well have done (I live a long way from Reading).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2019 11:14

Hampshire Royal It looks like there is a limit of five free coaches for away travel. I've not got a problem with this. The reason why I say this is because I rang the ticket office and asked about it. The operator gave me the Star phone number and I got through to an extremely rude man. I asked whether there was a place on a coach and he said that the WBA tickets had been booked 'for ages'. I asked how many coaches and he said 'five'. When I asked whether there would be another coach he said 'do you expect a coach all to yourself?' Realising I was fighting a losing battle (never argue with an idiot) I asked whether Mr Dai could give me a lift, to which he replied 'Maybe, if he's in the country'.

Have you considered you may have been the thirty or fortieth call that ‘rude’ man had taken asking the same question ? He may have had calls at unsocial hours, while he was working or at other inopportune moments. He may have had people being rude to him because they were unable to get their ‘free’ travel. The guy doesn’t get paid for anything he does and I know who you would have spoken to and believe me he has put in many unpaid hours for the club over many decades.
There is no limit on how many coaches the owners will pay for but there is a practical limit on when extra coaches can be booked. I would guess evening games are a particular problem because they impact drivers work on two days.
Your comment that the person sees the self as ‘more important’ seems based on absolutely nothing. To be honest it sounds more like you are the one with the over inflated sense of self importance. You want a free ride to the game, you want it last minute ignoring the complications of managing the process, you don’t follow the advertised process to book seats or check the website which shows the coaches are sold out and you want the person on the phone to call you sir despite the fact that they are just a fellow fan helping out fellow fans.
Your ‘complaint’ makes you look an idiot, enjoy paying for your own travel.
I have no vested interest here, I am a Star member but hold no office or have no official connection.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Aug 2019 11:35

Nameless

Have you considered you may have been the thirty or fortieth call that ‘rude’ man had taken asking the same question ? He may have had calls at unsocial hours, while he was working or at other inopportune moments. He may have had people being rude to him because they were unable to get their ‘free’ travel. The guy doesn’t get paid for anything he does and I know who you would have spoken to and believe me he has put in many unpaid hours for the club over many decades.
There is no limit on how many coaches the owners will pay for but there is a practical limit on when extra coaches can be booked. I would guess evening games are a particular problem because they impact drivers work on two days.
Your comment that the person sees the self as ‘more important’ seems based on absolutely nothing. To be honest it sounds more like you are the one with the over inflated sense of self importance. You want a free ride to the game, you want it last minute ignoring the complications of managing the process, you don’t follow the advertised process to book seats or check the website which shows the coaches are sold out and you want the person on the phone to call you sir despite the fact that they are just a fellow fan helping out fellow fans.
Your ‘complaint’ makes you look an idiot, enjoy paying for your own travel.
I have no vested interest here, I am a Star member but hold no office or have no official connection.

Agree wholeheartedly with this - and I've definitely no vested interest - I'm not a Star member, and have no idea who Hampshire Royal might have spoken to.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Aug 2019 12:38

Interesting!! If this was the 30 or 40th request (and that's all it was), then maybe it might have been worth running another coach. I appreciate that Star people do their work in their own time, which made me say that maybe the club took the whole thing over.

I have no inflated sense of my worth, I simply asked whether it was possible to take advantage of the owners' very generous offer. If I, at 67 years of age and not in the best of health, could have driven myself to West Brom, I would have done. I rang at a reasonable time (14:43) and if the guy had spent a few seconds explaining that he was at work, or that it was impossible to book another coach, or if every person who booked would turn up, then I would have been happy.

I used to travel to away games with people like Sedunary and Titmarsh. Things have changed a lot since then.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2019 12:51

Hampshire Royal Interesting!! If this was the 30 or 40th request (and that's all it was), then maybe it might have been worth running another coach. I appreciate that Star people do their work in their own time, which made me say that maybe the club took the whole thing over.

I have no inflated sense of my worth, I simply asked whether it was possible to take advantage of the owners' very generous offer. If I, at 67 years of age and not in the best of health, could have driven myself to West Brom, I would have done. I rang at a reasonable time (14:43) and if the guy had spent a few seconds explaining that he was at work, or that it was impossible to book another coach, or if every person who booked would turn up, then I would have been happy.

I used to travel to away games with people like Sedunary and Titmarsh. Things have changed a lot since then.

You could at least get Roger’s name right....
And it’s not a question of it being ‘worth’ runninganother coach but whether Horseman’s can provide one, as has been explained by several people.
You launched straight in to a public attack on the guy. You didn’t consider anything beyond your own personal wish. Hence it was you who look an idiot.
Being 67 and knowing a couple of names is no excuse.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Aug 2019 15:17

You tried to get free coach travel.. the day before a game... and then expected them to put a coach on for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Aug 2019 15:18

The Enfield Royal71 STAR are a bunch of self serving idiots who do nothing for the club.

You're showing your idiotic self again

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Aug 2019 15:26

LWJ
The Enfield Royal71 STAR are a bunch of self serving idiots who do nothing for the club.

I'm clearly joking. I genuinly couldn't give a about STAR or know what they are even for. In sure they do good.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2019 15:30

The Enfield Royal71
LWJ

I'm clearly joking. I genuinly couldn't give a about STAR or know what they are even for. In sure they do good.

LWJ calls it right then.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Aug 2019 15:46

:D :D :D

Incredible! But not at the same time. Unfortunately none of them are able to deal with people which I think is more about the kind of person willing to travel week-in-week-out on a coach across the country, watching Reading Football Club.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Aug 2019 15:58

Honestly what do STAR actually do?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Aug 2019 15:59

Nameless
Hendo
STAR Liaison Just the 15 league games. No word ever about the cups.
You’ll have to find your own tenner for Wycombe.

:D
Was thinking more about Newcastle away in the second round :wink:

You’d think the club might extend the offer for long distance cup games but I don’t think we should expect them to or feel badly done by if they don’t.
Second round is still regionalised isn’t it ?
So maybe Plymouth !

Ha, good call ! :P

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 21 Aug 2019 17:19

I joined Star this week as I wanted to take my son on the bus to the Huddersfield game.

At the time (Sunday), the coaches were showing as being sold out, but I gave them a call and they were extremely helpful - told me there was a good chance of another bus being added, which there was.

I picked up the bus tickets at the stadium last night and my star membership cards arrived in the post today. All in all I’m extremely happy and grateful.