David Meyler - Reading's biggest ever mercenary?

121 posts
The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

Re: David Meyler - Reading's biggest ever mercenary?

by The Enfield Royal71 » 31 Jul 2019 21:53

URZZZZ
The Enfield Royal71
3points Clearly something went awry for him. I think the gaming stuff probably did have some impact on him and perhaps meant he wasn't as committed to football as he should have been. While it may not have been a specific distraction, it may have been a contributing factor as well. Alternatively, it could have been his release from the shit he was having to deal with coming from Clement then Gomes. But we'll never know.

Finally somebody with sense.

I do know for a fact he kept going out to ea headquarters because he is a game changer for them so he does a lot of testing And work.

He clearly isn't commited to football. If he was then he would be trying harder rather then making videos about making a team of players he used to play with.

Genuinely don’t know whether you post because you actually think these things through or you’re fishing for attention. Either way, it’s getting quite repetitive every thread turning into an argument with you against someone

Meyler played in the Premier League for four or five years. He clearly is committed to football, unfortunately old legs has hindered his chances here. It happens, it’s part of football. Him playing video games has absolutely no correlation to his successes/failures here considering he’s been posting videos for a long time whilst maintaining a decent footballing career for himself

Are you related to him?

Last time I saw whiteknighting like this was Ian doing it to PolPlaty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2019 21:55

URZZZZ
Hound Yeah it’s a weird thing to whinge at him about

Sort of crap that blights twitter

Yep, Twitter is a really weird place, you get the odd idiot on here but Twitter takes the biscuit, the amount of times I’ve seen “announce Ejaria” and “announce Miazga”’ or whatever is ridiculous, and the amount of troll accounts made is just really weird too, who has enough time to make fake accounts pretending to be Jonathan Low, seriously?

Onto Meyler, it’s clear he didn’t work and to be honest even after Derby, I had my suspicions because the bloke could barely move. Still think he could have been used last season on occasions (cough cough O’Shea in CM) but he was never really a viable option for the long term, wish him well though

I hate that ‘announce *****’. It’s beyond w@nk. Why has it become a ‘thing’?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2019 21:57

Jagermesiter1871
Hound He’s a weird one. Looked like exactly what we needed at the time (and still do to an extent), Hull fans seem to like him as did his previous club’s fans

Something just didn’t work out, know there were some suggestions of personal issues, not sure how relevant

What sort of issues?

Can’t remember exactly. Something another him considering retiring end of last year I think

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 01 Aug 2019 10:25

Hound
Jagermesiter1871
Hound He’s a weird one. Looked like exactly what we needed at the time (and still do to an extent), Hull fans seem to like him as did his previous club’s fans

Something just didn’t work out, know there were some suggestions of personal issues, not sure how relevant

What sort of issues?

Can’t remember exactly. Something another him considering retiring end of last year I think

His wife had three consecutive miscarriages and he nearly retired. His wife gave birth in April, so you can understand why he may not have entirely been concentrating on football last season.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Aug 2019 10:29

Oh. That's fair enough.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 01 Aug 2019 10:30

Magic Hat
Hound
Jagermesiter1871

What sort of issues?

His wife had three consecutive miscarriages and he nearly retired. His wife gave birth in April, so you can understand why he may not have entirely been concentrating on football last season.

Whatever people think of DM, I'm not sure personal things like this should be posted online. Even if the information is available elsewhere. I didn't know about this so I'm sure many others didn't either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2019 10:31

yep that was it. Have to remember this lads are human sometimes and can see why that would have taken a huge amount out of him mentally.

And if you are wealthy enough to retire and there is a big strain in the personal life, I think a drop in performance is pretty understandable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Aug 2019 10:31

StellaPlease
Magic Hat
Hound
What sort of issues?

Whatever people think of DM, I'm not sure personal things like this should be posted online. Even if the information is available elsewhere. I didn't know about this so I'm sure many others didn't either.

I think he did an interview to a paper about it tbf, which is where I read it

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Aug 2019 10:35

StellaPlease
Magic Hat
Hound
What sort of issues?

:| :|

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 01 Aug 2019 10:43

Hound
StellaPlease
Magic Hat

I think he did an interview to a paper about it tbf, which is where I read it

Yeah he spoke about it openly at the time, I wan't rifling through his bins.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-star-david-meyler-admits-he-almost-quit-football-after-wife-suffered-three-miscarriages-37342268.html

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Aug 2019 11:58

The Enfield Royal71 Absolute charlatan stealing wages. Now at least he can focus on playing fortnite with kids for his youtube channel. Mug.

I remember the days when you were just slightly annoying. Now you seem to be trying to emulate John Smith in some bizarre hero worshipping tribute.

Pick a style and stick with it ffs.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Aug 2019 12:17

Tilehurstsouthbank
The Enfield Royal71 Absolute charlatan stealing wages. Now at least he can focus on playing fortnite with kids for his youtube channel. Mug.

I remember the days when you were just slightly annoying. Now you seem to be trying to emulate John Smith in some bizarre hero worshipping tribute.

Don't make me out to be the worst please Tilehurst. I'm just considered slightly controversial.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Aug 2019 12:31

John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank

Don't make me out to be the worst please Tilehurst. I'm just considered slightly controversial.

Wasn't saying you're one of the worst John. You have your own unique style. :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Aug 2019 11:08

David Meyler has retired.

Edit: From professional football, not FIFA.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 12:05

Old Man Andrews David Meyler has retired.

Edit: From professional football, not FIFA.

He cares more about YouTube and Fifa. He gets free stuff and comped flights and hotels from ea for being a gamechanger.

There is a hilarious reddit thread here about him and another youtuber arguing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/ ... or_change/

biff

by biff » 31 Aug 2019 20:39

One of the famous thread on reddit footy outed Meyler as the biggest dick anyone knew that grew up to be a sports "star", believe it was called "David Meyler is a Cnt".

A LOT of people chimed in from his hometown :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Aug 2019 20:48

Meyler is a bit of a weird case for me, he didn't seem like a malicious person but he wasn't quite the player we expected him to be, as for his e-sports career, that only exists because of his professional football career, now that he's retired I wonder if he'll actually stay relevant.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Aug 2019 21:34

biff One of the famous thread on reddit footy outed Meyler as the biggest dick anyone knew that grew up to be a sports "star", believe it was called "David Meyler is a Cnt".

A LOT of people chimed in from his hometown :lol:

Never met the guy, but begrudgery is a national sport in Ireland, you're nobody unless 1000s hate you. So I'd take that thread with a large handful of salt.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Sep 2019 11:05

Hound yep that was it. Have to remember this lads are human sometimes and can see why that would have taken a huge amount out of him mentally.

And if you are wealthy enough to retire and there is a big strain in the personal life, I think a drop in performance is pretty understandable.
I also think, if I was on a decent contract and was getting paid anyway regardless of performance I'd keep taking the money for the sake of my new families future even if I wasn't able to deliver on the pitch.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 11:19

good god yes. me too

121 posts