Anton took money!!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Anton took money!!

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Aug 2019 23:33

For a few years many fans said he took money from the club
SJM has now said the same, humble pie anyone. Or still in denial despite SJMs comments to Ady Williams

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Anton took money!!

by Jagermesiter1871 » 31 Aug 2019 00:18

Link?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2019 08:28

Jagermesiter1871 Link?

Sign up to the for BBC Berks podcast (it is available through iTunes and other podcast sources), it’s an excellent listen as is the Steve Coppell interview that was released earlier this month. Really hoping Ady gets to do several more before the season is out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 09:03

IIRC he took low interest on his loans, which SJM never did. And may have taken a salary. There were probably dodgy dealings involving Vibrac, but it's still pretty clear the main problem was he didn't have enough money to put in, and oversaw us spunking the majority of what we did have on shit players and dodgy loan repayments.

He certainly got his money back when he left.

I'm not sure SJM is the most reliable old coot to give an accurate reflection of what happened way back now. He's never been the most reliable.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 31 Aug 2019 09:31

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Link?

Sign up to the for BBC Berks podcast (it is available through iTunes and other podcast sources), it’s an excellent listen as is the Steve Coppell interview that was released earlier this month. Really hoping Ady gets to do several more before the season is out.

Omg its UK Only....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2019 10:02

Mike Hunt
Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Link?

Omg its UK Only....

A year where people have never heard of a VPN?

:wink:

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 31 Aug 2019 11:05

sandman
Mike Hunt
Sutekh

Omg its UK Only....

A year where people have never heard of a VPN?

:wink:

haha, I have one, just think it is stupid.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2019 11:18

Mischievous from the OP !
Anton ‘took’ money ? Suggesting it was illegal ?
Or he paid himself dividends, interest etc ?
SJM ‘took’ money out of the club too. He converted his loans into extra shares, which he eventually sold. He also had use of a very nice penthouse on top of the hotel which I’m guessing he didn’t pay market rates for.
Not knocking SJM at all, he saved the club, improved the club and his money/underwriting were crucial but if the suggestion is that he just gave the club money for no return whereas Anton took money out (legally) I’m not convinced, but I’m not sure either did anything wrong.
Anton did very little positive for the club though, would take SJM ahead of him every time. The Dai’s are starting to make a bid for best owner though...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2019 12:38

Nameless Mischievous from the OP !
SJM ‘took’ money out of the club too. He converted his loans into extra shares, which he eventually sold. He also had use of a very nice penthouse on top of the hotel which I’m guessing he didn’t pay market rates for.
Not knocking SJM at all, he saved the club, improved the club and his money/underwriting were crucial but if the suggestion is that he just gave the club money for no return whereas Anton took money out (legally) I’m not convinced, but I’m not sure either did anything wrong.
Anton did very little positive for the club though, would take SJM ahead of him every time. The Dai’s are starting to make a bid for best owner though...

I believe JM actually said that Anton borrowed against the name of Reading FC which suggests to me that any wealth AZ may have had was tied up in assets and other business and therefore only a limited cash flow was available for the club which therefore had to supported by other means.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Sep 2019 18:49

The bit that made me chuckle was the club reverting to JM when he didn't want it.

Anton had bought 51% and then didn't cough up for the remaining shares in the two years, after which the shares reverted back to JM. But in the that time Anton had built up a massive debt, meaning JM suddenly owned a heavily indebted club :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2019 20:37

Nameless Anton did very little positive for the club though,

Tbf he did finance our second promotion to the PL... in a manner of speaking.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 23:39

SCIAG
Nameless Anton did very little positive for the club though,

Tbf he did finance our second promotion to the PL... in a manner of speaking.

In hindsight that wasn't really positive.

Stay down, lose Kebe, but Antonio doesn't leave and comes through. No Roberts, Pog, Drenthe Guthrie stealing a living.

And of course, most importantly, no Gunter. :wink:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Sep 2019 09:12

Sutekh
Nameless Mischievous from the OP !

I believe JM actually said that Anton borrowed against the name of Reading FC which suggests to me that any wealth AZ may have had was tied up in assets and other business and therefore only a limited cash flow was available for the club which therefore had to supported by other means.

Exactly ... JM didn't say that he 'took' money ... just that he spent lots without actually putting any money in, so when he 'left' JM was left with his debts.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Sep 2019 09:36

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Link?

I think it's quite clear that they are light years ahead of The Tilehurst End in terms of being able to acquire high profile names for interviews.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2019 09:46

John Smith
Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Link?

I think it's quite clear that they are light years ahead of The Tilehurst End in terms of being able to acquire high profile names for interviews.

Couldn't imagine why that is!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 10:05

OP is bollox

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 12:52

Maneki Neko OP is bollox

I'm truly shocked.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Sep 2019 13:19

Hendo
John Smith
Sutekh

Couldn't imagine why that is!

Billion pound international multi-media organisation in having more clout than two blokes writing an independant blog in their spare time shock. Who'd have thunk it.

JS really is a clueless arse at times.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Sep 2019 13:53

John Smith
Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Link?

Not really a surprise really is it? Tilehurst End being a small supporter website v Local BBC outlet funded by the national conglomerate.

Btw, we're still waiting for your TTE reporting debut....

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Sep 2019 14:40

Tilehurstsouthbank Btw, we're still waiting for your TTE reporting debut....

I will do one after the next game I go to. Missed Plymouth and Charlton unfortunately and am not sure I can bring myself to do Boro again