The Great, Big Royal International Thread

145 posts
Singing Defective

Re: The Great, Big Royal International Thread

by Singing Defective » 30 Aug 2019 18:24

WestYorksRoyal Is Ovie young enough to be eligible for U21s? I expect he'll get a call up this season if form continues. Great for Richards though, and good for our academy too.

Oviemuno born 18 November 1997 (as per Wiki, I wasn’t there). Got to get called up at some stage. Just maybe natural LBs are rarer?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Aug 2019 18:25

Hendo CBC and Imari Samuels called up for England U-17s.

CBC?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2019 18:32

The Enfield Royal71

CBC?

Coniah Boyce-Clarke.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2019 19:58

For this u21 cycle only players born on or after 1/1/98 are eligible.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Aug 2019 20:45

NewCorkSeth
The Enfield Royal71

CBC?

Coniah Boyce-Clarke.

Exactly

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2019 22:34

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth In honour of Omar Richards well deserved call up to the England under 21s team I thought it high time we had a dedicated thread to track call ups for our players.

We may already have a thread like this but my search didnt yield any results.

Who else has been included in a squad? Anyone we think has been wrongly left out?

Gunter is in the Wales squad despite not playing a minute of competitive football. Shows how shallow their talent pool is.

Hardly surprising given the size of the country.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2019 09:59

Zip
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth In honour of Omar Richards well deserved call up to the England under 21s team I thought it high time we had a dedicated thread to track call ups for our players.

We may already have a thread like this but my search didnt yield any results.

Who else has been included in a squad? Anyone we think has been wrongly left out?

Gunter is in the Wales squad despite not playing a minute of competitive football. Shows how shallow their talent pool is.

Hardly surprising given the size of the country.

Indeed.

Puts to bed once and for all the "but he's a Wales international" defence for his constant selection for Reading over the years.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Aug 2019 10:47

There's no shortage of credible Welsh right backs - Adam Matthews, Jazz Richards, Adam Henley, Neal Eardley, Connor Roberts, and depending on if he's needed elsewhere, Neil Taylor.

Matthews is currently without a club and Richards is injured so it's a little bleak for them right now, but they're a national side that reliably punch above their weight and Gunter's caps to date really are a great achievement.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Aug 2019 10:58

SCIAG There's no shortage of credible Welsh right backs - Adam Matthews, Jazz Richards, Adam Henley, Neal Eardley, Connor Roberts, and depending on if he's needed elsewhere, Neil Taylor.

Matthews is currently without a club and Richards is injured so it's a little bleak for them right now, but they're a national side that reliably punch above their weight and Gunter's caps to date really are a great achievement.

No debating Gunter deserves his caps and has been a reliable option for them (there was a time I thought Eardley was the better RB) so let's not turn this into another "Gunter: The Most Debated Footballer In Reading FC History" thread.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2019 12:33

Joao Virginia is on duty with Portugal under 21s and Pele is with the Guinea-Bissau squad.

I reckon Josh Barrett is an odd snub for Ireland under 21s. Was called up previously so maybe didnt impress while with that group?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Sep 2019 15:08

NewCorkSeth I reckon Josh Barrett is an odd snub for Ireland under 21s. Was called up previously so maybe didnt impress while with that group?

Holding out for an England cap according to his Twitter page

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2019 15:33

John Smith
NewCorkSeth I reckon Josh Barrett is an odd snub for Ireland under 21s. Was called up previously so maybe didnt impress while with that group?

No waaaay. Link?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2019 15:37

NewCorkSeth
John Smith

No waaaay. Link?

Guess he deleted it...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2019 15:46

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Holding out for an England cap according to his Twitter page

No waaaay. Link?

Guess he deleted it...

Hmm. Weird one but whatever! Again though, as with the case of Liam Kelly, is that a realistic target?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2019 20:20

Going to the Wales game on Friday night but without any real enthusiasm. Totally underwhelmed by Giggs to date.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2019 20:22

SCIAG There's no shortage of credible Welsh right backs - Adam Matthews, Jazz Richards, Adam Henley, Neal Eardley, Connor Roberts, and depending on if he's needed elsewhere, Neil Taylor.

Connor Roberts is first choice again having briefly lost his place to Gunter in the summer qualifiers. I can’t see Gunts playing for Wales again unless he starts playing regularly and that’s not going to happen until the New Year at the earliest.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2019 08:17

What makes you think Neil Taylor is a right back? I've known of him since he was a teenager and pretty sure he's never played anywhere other than left back.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Sep 2019 08:36

KC Royal

What makes you think Neil Taylor is a right back? I've known of him since he was a teenager and pretty sure he's never played anywhere other than left back.

He has mostly played left back but I think he played at right back quite a bit when Swansea had him and Ben Davies at the same time?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Sep 2019 09:09

Zip

Connor Roberts is first choice again having briefly lost his place to Gunter in the summer qualifiers. I can’t see Gunts playing for Wales again unless he starts playing regularly and that’s not going to happen until the New Year at the earliest.

Nah they'll get him to 100 caps. Itll be a statement.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Sep 2019 10:11

SCIAG
KC Royal

He has mostly played left back but I think he played at right back quite a bit when Swansea had him and Ben Davies at the same time?

Ah, that makes sense. Just couldn't think of when he would have played there.

145 posts