113 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h) sponsored by a point off Europe

by Sutekh » 17 Sep 2019 00:31

When : Saturday, 21st September, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And 7 months after they last appeared before us, they're back again. Blackburn Rovers. And some are already saying it's "must win" game after the inconsistent start of the season for Reading. Sides have had poor and inconsistent starts before and achieved promotion or a play off finish, Reading themselves had a real stinking start to 2011/2012 but got promoted at the end. Not saying that's going to happen of course but it's about now some consistently decent results have to start turning up if that goal wants to remain on the horizon as a believable target for the management to aim at.

Blackburn are not a bad outfit though I'd really expect them to see out this season pretty much like their last by not really troubling either end of the league table. They're currently 11th after 3 wins a draw from 7 games, so not really that much different from Reading and a home win would put the two clubs into an identical playing record. Form wise it's 1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat from their last 3 league outings though the defeat was at WBA. Rovers are fairly versatile in their set up, favouring a 4-2-3-1 arrangement mostly but do sometimes switch to 3 central defenders or play 3 up front depending on the opposition. Bradley Dack, Stewart Downing and Charlie Mulgrew are probably their best known players while Dominic Samuel is still with the club but has yet to feature for them this season.

Miazga may well be back in the squad by Saturday but my guess is it'll be Swansea before he's risked again. In addition Meite was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure after the ‘boro game following the clash with a ‘boro player in the first half but the club are hopeful he’ll be OK for Blackburn. Other than that I actually believe the club generally have a clean bill of health (touchwood) for the first time in two years.

Back in February JG selected Martínez, Yiadom, Moore, Miazga, Blackett, Kelly, Swift, Ejaria, Richards, Aluko, Oliveira. Subs: Walker, Gunter, Harriott, Baker, Barrow, Méïté, Böðvarsson. Eight of those players are no longer with the club (though Aluko is only on loan to Beijing Rehne and will presumably be back in November - the Blackburn game was his last for Reading to date).

Referee

Matthew Donohue is back for his second game with Reading in just over a month

Previously

10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

Reading hadn't played a league game against Blackburn until a 1-1 draw on Saturday 1st December 1979. Since then there's been a further 9 visits from the Rovers and it's a case of 4 wins to Reading and 2 to Blackburn. Apart from one game, things have tended to be very close affairs with a goal deciding it or more than likely no goals happening whatsoever.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (by the way has anyone managed to get the actual game commentary working on an iPhone/android as yet)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h) sponsored by a point off Europe

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2019 07:59

Thanks Sutekh

I can't decide whether to stick to my principle against chopping and changing and hope to see a mostly consistent line up, or hope for a change to what I think could work better.

I guess give this shape a little more time, but I'd like to see Puscas in for the hapless Boye. Hopefully Meite will be fully fit as I think he deserves some trust and perseverance.

On Meite vs Joao, you know you'll always get workrate with Meite. You know you often won't with Joao. That makes the choice between them easy for me. Meite also adds some real bulldog tenacity and physicality to our attack, which is missing other wise. Him and Puscas could give defences a real beating.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2019 08:18

Would certainly bring Puscas back in. Not sure on Joao/Meite. Maybe give Meite another one.

We could really do with winning this. The optimism of a couple of matches ago seems to have evaporated quite a bit

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Sep 2019 08:59

Puscas does need a run in the team, key for this season would be getting Swift and Puscas to form some understanding on the pitch.
Meite, I feel has faith in the bank from last season to edge it over Joao atm.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2019 09:28

-------------------Rafael
----Miazga---Morrison---Moore
Yiadom------------------------Richards
----------------Rinomhota
--------------Ejaria----Swift
-------------Joao------Puşcaş

Virginia
Blackett
Obita
Pele
Barrett
Loader
Meite

I would prefer Joao to start over Meite for 3 reasons: Joao has looked poor off the bench, Joao is better at holding the ball up with his back to goal (which imo should be a priority for us) and Meite is a much better impact sub. His energy and desire to score is a great weapon to have when looking for a goal.

Boye is my new escapegoat. He is a flashy player with plenty of skill but zero awareness. His passing under pressure is awful and he clearly doesn't look up enough as he constantly runs into trouble after doing the difficult part of getting away from the first man. Drop him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Sep 2019 09:48

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Ejaria
Swift

Joao
Puscas

Virginia, Blackett, Rino, Barrett, Boye, Baldock, Meite

Bench competition is heating up. You could argue the case for McIntyre, Obita, Adam, Loader and Olise to all be there too. Hoping we get to see a few of those on Wednesday but with this scenario, we see every bench position filled. Possibly Obita for Boye but more likely Baldock dropped

I’d like to see the team that started against Cardiff. We still haven’t seen that XI yet since that game and there’s no excuses for fitness now considering most of these players have only played once in three weeks

We need Pele/Rino to be on his game against Dack. Nullify him and im confident we’ll win, otherwise perhaps not

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 17 Sep 2019 23:09

thanks

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Sep 2019 13:38

Rovers are strongly rumoured to be about to sign midfielder Lewis Holtby who is a free agent after being released by Hamburg in the summer

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Sep 2019 13:40

Jlow been on the sauce? WTF is this?

The Royals won their last game against Middlesbrough 1 - 0, and they’ll be hoping for the same if not better this Saturday.

Blackburn is doing better than Reading in the Championship table.

The Rovers are at 12th in the table, while the Royals are all the way down in 12th place.

Also, Blackburn is on form, having won their last two Championship games.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Sep 2019 14:00

Hound Jlow been on the sauce? WTF is this?

The Royals won their last game against Middlesbrough 1 - 0, and they’ll be hoping for the same if not better this Saturday.

The Rovers are at 12th in the table, while the Royals are all the way down in 12th place.

Over the last five games, Reading has lost two, won two and drawn in one :?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Sep 2019 14:04

Matthew Donohue is a thief and a crook. He shouldn't be in charge of under 9's fixtures let alone Championship games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Sep 2019 14:05

very odd. an absolute abomination of a post from him. Not too sure where to start, but 'Blackburn haven't won their last two' would be one place

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Sep 2019 14:12

Reads like his account has been hacked or he has an alcohol abuse problem.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Sep 2019 19:47

URZZZZ
Hound Jlow been on the sauce? WTF is this?

Over the last five games, Reading has lost two, won two and drawn in one :?

Sadly that web page has now been updated and corrected but it was fun while it lasted - esp. the bit about Reading winning 1-0 at ‘boro

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Sep 2019 20:01

Snowflake Royal Reads like his account has been hacked or he has an alcohol abuse problem.

He doesn’t look the type to be fair :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2019 18:09

As of earlier today Blackburn had sold just over 900 tickets. I doubt the gate will reach 14,000 tomorrow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2019 18:18

Zip As of earlier today Blackburn had sold just over 900 tickets. I doubt the gate will reach 14,000 tomorrow.

Seems a bit pessimistic. Things aren't that bad surely and holiday season is over. Couple of weeks without a game. Normal Saturday match time...

15/16 ish no?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Sep 2019 18:26

Who'd travel all the way here from there for a mid table clash - its an awful journey car and train - I've done both in the past.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2019 21:21

Snowflake Royal
Zip As of earlier today Blackburn had sold just over 900 tickets. I doubt the gate will reach 14,000 tomorrow.

Seems a bit pessimistic. Things aren't that bad surely and holiday season is over. Couple of weeks without a game. Normal Saturday match time...

15/16 ish no?

Hope you’re right. I think 16k is a bit optimistic though.

MitchellRoyals

by MitchellRoyals » 21 Sep 2019 11:25

This is, I believe a big game as confidence could be a bit low after two defeats without scoring. We must start Pușcaș and Joào today, as they our best forwards in our starting 11. I don’t want to see Moore on the right side again, as he never seem to play well there. :shock: :|

113 posts