Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by Andy Legg & Jason Bowen

by Sutekh » 23 Sep 2019 20:28

When : Saturday 28th September 2019
Where : Liberty Stadium, Morfa, Swansea, SA1 2FA
Capacity : 21,088
Away Stand : North Stand
What might I see in the area : Sheep

Saturday sees Reading's rapidly descending shambles of a season hit the welsh countryside with a trip to high flying Swansea.

Easily splatted twice last season by way of their own wholly unacceptable performances Reading will be desperately at least trying to avoid a hat trick of said unacceptability, though their current form is seeking to try it's damnedest to even snuff that hope out before the day arrives.

Swansea are rather good this season, if you hadn’t already noticed. They’ve managed 7 wins from the 10 games played so far in all competitions but have slipped up recently with no wins from either of their last 2 games (0-0 at Bristol City and a 1-0 loss at home to the ever erratic Forest - so that’s also no goals scored).

Swansea have a midweek league cup game with Watford to worry about but as with most clubs from the higher divisions they’ll be resting most of their recognised first teamers so are unlikely to pick up any additional injuries or suspensions to add to the injured Aldo Kalulu and suspended Jake Bidwell that would affect their team Reading’s visit.

Reading may well have Matt Miazga available again but are likely to be without Michael Morrison so the adjustments defensively are likely to have to continue. After the mess of the last 3 games god only knows what permutation JG will come up with. Think I might be inclined to just drop Joao and put Rinomhota in and ask the full backs to play a bit more like full backs as the last thing you want to be doing is encouraging Swansea’s wingers. Still I’m sure there’s many different approaches that can be taken with the squad at Jose’s disposal.

To be honest though, given the current state of affairs, I'd recommend ignoring the football altogether and carry straight on past the ground to have a weekend in Pembrokeshire instead.

Referee

It’s Mr Keith Stroud again, back for the first time this season to take charge of the same fixture he handled last season.

Previously

05 May 2019 > Reading 0-0 Birmingham City
10 Apr 2019 > Norwich City 2-2 Reading
27 Oct 2018 > Swansea City 2-0 Reading
28 Apr 2018 > Reading 0-4 Ipswich Town
02 Dec 2017 > Sunderland 1-3 Reading
04 Nov 2017 > Derby County 2-4 Reading
01 Apr 2017 > Reading 1-0 Leeds United
14 Feb 2017 > Reading 3-2 Brentford
19 Nov 2016 > Reading 3-0 Burton Albion
28 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-2 Brentford
07 Nov 2015 > Cardiff City 2-0 Reading
03 Oct 2015 > Reading 2-0 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2015 > Reading 0-1 Bournemouth
29 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-1 Huddersfield Town
11 Jan 2014 > Watford 0-1 Reading
13 Aug 2011 > Leicester City 0-2 Reading
03 Apr 2010 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
06 Feb 2010 > Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Reading
29 Dec 2007 > Tottenham Hotspur 6-4 Reading
22 Sep 2007 > Reading 2-1 Wigan Athletic
25 Feb 2006 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23 Aug 2005 > Reading 3-1 Swansea City (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 34th league visit to Swansea who have been consistent opponents stretching all the way back to 1920. In that time there have been 9 wins for Reading but 17 wins for the Swans. There have been only 2 goalless draws in that run but Reading have had a tendency to “come a cropper real good” on several visits, esp. in the 1960s when they conceded 5 goals on three consecutive visits. That said, though, the biggest win was Reading’s 6-1 hammering of Swansea back in 1989 of all seasons.

However Reading are still looking for their first league win at the Liberty Stadium being on a run of LDLDL at the moment.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by Andy Legg & Jason Bowen

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2019 08:49

Keith Stroud........................ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2019 09:14

rapidly losing enthusiasm for the season. Could do with a positive result to turn it back around. Can't see it though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2019 09:25

I can see a positive result. But I'm not sure whether it will be because of Gomes or in spite of him. One thing undeniable about of current squad is that we have several players capable of individual moments of greatness. Joao, Puşcaş, Swift, Ejaria, Barrett and Meite have all proven that already this season. I can see us stealing a result based on that rather than tactics.

I know Snowflake blames our defensive frailties on our wing backs high starting position but for me their attacking threat (and Yiadoms incredible fitness) counters that. Our CBs have just been so very poor recently. Whether Miazga can change that I dont know but the lack of support from Pele in the DM role must be considered as well. Pele is like a less active, less effective George Evans. Rinomhota offers more energy, better movement on and off the ball and, most importantly, he actively tracks his man into the box. Would Blackburn have scored their first with Andy starting? I'm convinced no.

I dont know why I have gone on this massive tangent but I think it sums up why we can be confident in the future, we have the players but we lack the leadership and experience. Once Gomes quits farting about with the line up we will be fine.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Sep 2019 10:40

Old Man Andrews Keith Stroud........................ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Surely he's past it by now?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2019 10:41

John Smith
Old Man Andrews Keith Stroud........................ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Surely he's past it by now?

Should have been pensioned off a long time ago. Unfit, poor quality referee.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Sep 2019 11:14

NewCorkSeth
I know Snowflake blames our defensive frailties on our wing backs high starting position but for me their attacking threat (and Yiadoms incredible fitness) counters that. Our CBs have just been so very poor recently. Whether Miazga can change that I dont know but the lack of support from Pele in the DM role must be considered as well. Pele is like a less active, less effective George Evans. Rinomhota offers more energy, better movement on and off the ball and, most importantly, he actively tracks his man into the box. Would Blackburn have scored their first with Andy starting? I'm convinced no.

Been thinking about this. I think it’s incredibly harsh on Pele to blame our current faults. For the wingbacks to play as high as they are, we need more help in midfield. People won’t want to hear it but for the me, the biggest problem is Swift and Ejaria in a 3 man midfield. Pele cannot do it all

You only have to look at Chelsea under Conte with their 3 at the back formation. Season 1, they had Kante and Matic and they stormed their way to the league. Second season, they had Fábregas instead of Matic and they flopped

So the solutions are get rid of 3 at the back, put Rino and Pele in a 3 man midfield or use a diamond in midfield with Puscas up top as a line striker

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2019 12:46

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Been thinking about this. I think it’s incredibly harsh on Pele to blame our current faults. For the wingbacks to play as high as they are, we need more help in midfield. People won’t want to hear it but for the me, the biggest problem is Swift and Ejaria in a 3 man midfield. Pele cannot do it all

You only have to look at Chelsea under Conte with their 3 at the back formation. Season 1, they had Kante and Matic and they stormed their way to the league. Second season, they had Fábregas instead of Matic and they flopped

So the solutions are get rid of 3 at the back, put Rino and Pele in a 3 man midfield or use a diamond in midfield with Puscas up top as a line striker

Meaning no offence but there is a few problems with the Chelsea comparison. For starters they played a 3-4-3. 3 CBs, 2 WBs, 2 deep Midfielders and 3 forwards. Thats very different to what we play. Its something we might be able to play but it would require dropping Swift, our biggest creative outlet, and having 4 players for one position.

Best I can think would be something like this:
------------------------Rafael
--------Miazga---Morrison---Moore
Yiadom---Rinomhota---Pele---Richards
Ejaria/Meite---Puscas/Joao---Boye/Barrett

I wouldnt be totally opposed to that but it means Swift has no spot. He would not be able to operate in a Rinomhota/Pele role at all and if he was shoehorned in there it would weaken his impact.

Another important thing to remember is they had Hazard in probably the best form of his career that season as well as 2 over performing WBs in Alonso and Moses, the best DM in the world in Kante, a prime Azpilicueta somehow excellent at CB and the glorious bastard that is Diego Costa as the sole striker. We cant replicate that. Ever. The protection offered by Kante allowed Chelsea to be the attacking force they were that season.

The other thing to address is that I'm not blaming Pele for our problems. But he cannot cope with what he is being asked to do. He doesn't follow his man. He doesn't track runs into the box. We are playing a DM who only does half a job. Hes fine at pushing up and hassling players but even Liam Kelly could do that. Rinomhota is fitter, stronger, faster and more likely to help out in the box when the opposition inevitably make a fast break out the flanks. If Pele doesnt improve fast and continues to play we will go on letting in stupid goals like we did on Saturday.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Sep 2019 13:03

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Meaning no offence but there is a few problems with the Chelsea comparison. For starters they played a 3-4-3. 3 CBs, 2 WBs, 2 deep Midfielders and 3 forwards. Thats very different to what we play. Its something we might be able to play but it would require dropping Swift, our biggest creative outlet, and having 4 players for one position.

I wouldnt be totally opposed to that but it means Swift has no spot. He would not be able to operate in a Rinomhota/Pele role at all and if he was shoehorned in there it would weaken his impact.

Another important thing to remember is they had Hazard in probably the best form of his career that season as well as 2 over performing WBs in Alonso and Moses, the best DM in the world in Kante, a prime Azpilicueta somehow excellent at CB and the glorious bastard that is Diego Costa as the sole striker. We cant replicate that. Ever. The protection offered by Kante allowed Chelsea to be the attacking force they were that season.

The other thing to address is that I'm not blaming Pele for our problems. But he cannot cope with what he is being asked to do. He doesn't follow his man. He doesn't track runs into the box. We are playing a DM who only does half a job. Hes fine at pushing up and hassling players but even Liam Kelly could do that. Rinomhota is fitter, stronger, faster and more likely to help out in the box when the opposition inevitably make a fast break out the flanks. If Pele doesnt improve fast and continues to play we will go on letting in stupid goals like we did on Saturday.

It was more a general example. With 3 at the back, generally you need two defensive mids, certainly not two CAM’s out of three. Sheffield United played both Fleck and Norwood who were both DM’s with Duffy ahead of them and it worked for them. I just don’t think a combination of Pele/Rino, Swift and Ejaria can work apart from in games where we really take it to the opposition

Even with Rino instead of Pele against Boro, we gave opportunities away and lost the game. We concede too many goals. Maybe playing both is a solution

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Sep 2019 13:06

I`m going, I wasn`t very confident to start with, but now we have Stroud in charge, I hope the beers nice because as sure as day is day he won`t give us f**k all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2019 13:07

be madness to even consider dropping Swift.

I wouldn't be against a midfield 4 of Rino, Pele, Ejaria and Swift, but its all a bit narrow. Maybe Swift as a 10, but limits his effectiveness if he isn't getting on the ball

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2019 13:34

Hound be madness to even consider dropping Swift.

I wouldn't be against a midfield 4 of Rino, Pele, Ejaria and Swift, but its all a bit narrow. Maybe Swift as a 10, but limits his effectiveness if he isn't getting on the ball

--------------Pele
Rinomhota---Swift
-------------Ejaria
?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2019 13:55

windermereROYAL I`m going, I wasn`t very confident to start with, but now we have Stroud in charge, I hope the beers nice because as sure as day is day he won`t give us f**k all.

Yep well said. Stroud is incompetent and most likely blind.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Sep 2019 14:31

My earlier enthusiasm for this game has now evaporated into more looking forward to exploring Swansea and then ticking off my final (current) championship ground

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2019 16:09

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

It was more a general example. With 3 at the back, generally you need two defensive mids, certainly not two CAM’s out of three. Sheffield United played both Fleck and Norwood who were both DM’s with Duffy ahead of them and it worked for them. I just don’t think a combination of Pele/Rino, Swift and Ejaria can work apart from in games where we really take it to the opposition

Even with Rino instead of Pele against Boro, we gave opportunities away and lost the game. We concede too many goals. Maybe playing both is a solution

I agree its preferable to have 2 DMs in our system but I want to highlight that Swift and Ejaria are not playing as AMCs theyre playing as CMs. I mean, Fleck and Norwood are not Defensive Mids, and they werent last season either. They were CMs. If we were to play their formation from last season it would be:
-----------------------Rafael
Yiadom--Rinomhota---Ejaria---Richards
------------------------Swift
-------------------Joao---Puscas

Which I would actually prefer.

Even the tackling stats match up: Rinomhota made 2.5 tackles per game last season, Norwood made 2.3., Ejaria made 1.8 tackles per game last season, John Fleck made 1.3 and Swift and Duffy made the same, 1.4, tackles per game last season. Now tackling stats are a tough one because they reflect how well the opposition played against you as well as many other factors but you can see quite clearly that the above midfield shape could match the midfield of last season Sheffield United quite well in both creativity and defensive contribution.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2019 17:23

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Having to drop Swift? Sounds perfect. :wink:

I'd have Ejaria on the left ahead of Boye or Barrett I think... to crowbar him in. You could make an argument for trying Swift alongside Rino in a less attacking role instead of Pele... he did a pretty good job against Wednesday in that regard.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Sep 2019 18:21

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Having to drop Swift? Sounds perfect. :wink:

I'd have Ejaria on the left ahead of Boye or Barrett I think... to crowbar him in. You could make an argument for trying Swift alongside Rino in a less attacking role instead of Pele... he did a pretty good job against Wednesday in that regard.

I crow barred him in on the right where Hazard was.

I think Swift would struggle in such a restricted role. Whereas Pele would probably look a world beater there.
Rinomhota in a sort of Segundo Volante role and Pele as an Anchor man.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Sep 2019 19:35

With away games we should def take a more defensive approach...

Back to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

Pele DM, Rino high energy box to box, Swift/Ejaria AM

Then maybe Boye (who looks more of a winger than striker) 1 side, Meite the other, Puscas up top

The 4-2-3-1 is always best for pitch coverage, but you are reliant on your lone striker being good enough. Can Puscas play that role? No reason why not

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Sep 2019 20:29

Notts Royal With away games we should def take a more defensive approach...

Back to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

Pele DM, Rino high energy box to box, Swift/Ejaria AM

Then maybe Boye (who looks more of a winger than striker) 1 side, Meite the other, Puscas up top

The 4-2-3-1 is always best for pitch coverage, but you are reliant on your lone striker being good enough. Can Puscas play that role? No reason why not

Yep agree.

Assuming everyone's fit, bench of Virginia, Moore, Richards, Ejaria, Barrett, Olise, Joao. Capable of sticking with 4-3-3, or changing to 4-4-2, 3-4-3, or 3-5-2. Ejaria capable of covering Rinomhota, Swift, or the wingers.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Sep 2019 20:57

Doesn't matter does it? Whatever formation we play or whoever lines up for us, they'll beat us, they always bloody do.
Last edited by sandman on 25 Sep 2019 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

180 posts