45%

Total votes: 124
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomes, Should he stay or should he go? Mk2

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 23:26

Ascotexgunner
Zip
Ascotexgunner I don't understand why people would give a manager who clearly is running out of ideas, upsetting players by naming them publicly as the reason we lost a game and then dropping them, as well as constantly tinkering starting line ups, and making weird substitutions during games more time. More time for what? To make it worse? If people can't see that he can't turn this around then their clearly delude. He will not turn this round. All he is now doing is making it worse and destroying the confidence of the players.
I like the guy I really do but he is out of his depth in this league and it really shows. I don't know what happened against Cardiff but we heave seen little, or nothing close to that one off performance.

It’s amazing how so many of you think you know so much more than those of us who deign to disagree. I wish I was so astute and bow to your vastly superior knowledge.

So give me an argument why he should stay. The "we keep sacking managers" arguement is not a positive reason. That won't change our position.
I want an argument that will make me think....."yeah, great point he does deserve more time".
Ive not heard one positive reason why things will change....not one arguememt.
I stayed with him til the Fulham game.
The only positive I can think of that would improve us (maybe).....and its a real long shot.....is to get rid of that clown that calls himself a defensive coach. Its a start and I'm certain its not enough, but it might just start moving us in the right direction....maybe.

One reason you could have said a few weeks ago is the unity Gomes brought together. At the start, Gomes kept the fans on board with his lingo, he brought everyone together and made the club a happy place again

But now it’s sort of fizzled out. Attendances are dropping to appalling levels again, atmosphere is returning to its morgue level and results are awful. Normally Gomes spends the game walking round the technical area. I barely saw him up once on Saturday. Is he losing the passion and the drive?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 07:39

URZZZZ
Considering we don’t have the wingers, I’d like to see a 4-4-2 diamond next game

———————Rafael——————
Andy—Morrison——Miazga—Omar
———————Moore——————-
————Rino————-Ejaria————
———————Swift———————-
————-Boye————Meite———-

Moore did very well at CDM yesterday. Wouldn’t mind Pele there as long as he sticks to normal, simple passes and increases the tempo. Rino and Ejaria can be the ball carriers and Swift the linkup play between the ball carriers and the attack. Boye can be the busybody and Meite as the outlet

Puscas needs to drop to the bench. I really don’t think starting him every game is the way forward because right now his confidence must be so low. Give him a few games on the bench, let him try and discover some form. Again, I’d put Baldock on the bench, certainly ahead of Joao anyway. Probably Blackett there because he can cover FB and CB. I’d be tempted to give Howe a run because Yiadom is on poor form

It’s another new system though isn’t it? More confusion. Moore May have done ok, but it isn’t a solution. He’s far too slow on the ball to play midfield regularly

I think he has to go back to what we did last season best he can if he is still here in 2 weeks time. As much pace as we have up front, try to keep solid and play on the counter. Difficult, but has to be start.

Moore&Miazga did well last season so back to them. Yiadom and Obita/Richards as FBs not WBs

Probably Meite RW, Boye LW and probably have to be either Joao or Puscas as CF

Midfield is difficult because we have arguably our 3 best players there (Rino, Ejaria, Swift) but they aren’t ideal together. So I’d go Pele as DM with Rino and Swift as CMs

It’s all a bit of a mess tbh. And it’s probably not the team I’d pick if a new man came in

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 08:20

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
Er no. Most want him out now which is absolutely not what I am saying. I didn’t rate Clement but wasn’t calling for him to go after 11 games last season. I’ll leave the hypocrisy with you.

Well seeing as I'm not calling for Gomes immediate sacking, it's a bit odd you've had such an arse-on at me.

I'm perfectly happy with the difference in my view on Clement vs Gomes. Results were marginally improving under him. Their deteriorating under Gomes. Gomes has already had more games, but achieved the same feat, saving us one season and then continuing our shit trend the next. Clement had an injury crisis, was permitted to spend less money in the summer and had a worse squad as well, so greater mitigating circumstances.

Feel free to offer up something other than last season's performance, not liking sackings (on this occasion) or blind optimism and I'm happy to be swayed towards a more positive view.

If you dish it out be prepared to get it back.
Anyway it’s simple. I believe Gomes is capable of changing tactics and make us hard to beat. I think he can turn it around by simple changes. Let’s start man marking, play a hard and high pressing game and stop playing wing backs.

I'm perfectly capable of taking it zip.

Why do you believe he can change it? What makes you think that?

You still agree that if he doesn't or can't he should go? How soon?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 08:21

Hound
URZZZZ
Considering we don’t have the wingers, I’d like to see a 4-4-2 diamond next game

———————Rafael——————
———————Moore——————-
————Rino————-Ejaria————
———————Swift———————-
————-Boye————Meite———-

Moore did very well at CDM yesterday. Wouldn’t mind Pele there as long as he sticks to normal, simple passes and increases the tempo. Rino and Ejaria can be the ball carriers and Swift the linkup play between the ball carriers and the attack. Boye can be the busybody and Meite as the outlet

Puscas needs to drop to the bench. I really don’t think starting him every game is the way forward because right now his confidence must be so low. Give him a few games on the bench, let him try and discover some form. Again, I’d put Baldock on the bench, certainly ahead of Joao anyway. Probably Blackett there because he can cover FB and CB. I’d be tempted to give Howe a run because Yiadom is on poor form

It’s another new system though isn’t it? More confusion. Moore May have done ok, but it isn’t a solution. He’s far too slow on the ball to play midfield regularly

You obviously haven’t watched Pele enough :?

Moore isn’t an ideal solution there but I rate Morrison quite highly and Miazga is obviously a decent player. It’s not something I’d be looking at long term but Pele is painfully slow. We really do miss Baker there in midfield

This is the only formation I think that we can accommodate both Ejaria and Swift in the centre of the pitch because there’s adequate cover elsewhere. I get the feeling Ejaria won’t be dropped though so it’ll either be a 4-2-3-1 with Ejaria on the flank or Ejaria, Swift, Rino midfield

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 08:28

Hound
URZZZZ

———————Rafael——————
———————Moore——————-
————Rino————-Ejaria————
———————Swift———————-
————-Boye————Meite———-

I think he has to go back to what we did last season best he can if he is still here in 2 weeks time. As much pace as we have up front, try to keep solid and play on the counter. Difficult, but has to be start.

Moore&Miazga did well last season so back to them. Yiadom and Obita/Richards as FBs not WBs

Probably Meite RW, Boye LW and probably have to be either Joao or Puscas as CF

Midfield is difficult because we have arguably our 3 best players there (Rino, Ejaria, Swift) but they aren’t ideal together. So I’d go Pele as DM with Rino and Swift as CMs

It’s all a bit of a mess tbh. And it’s probably not the team I’d pick if a new man came in

Yes. Yes. Yes.

More pissing about with new shapes and combinations is not the answer. A CB in midfield is not the answer, no matter how just about adequate Moore was halfway through a game Brizzle stopped trying in.

I don't see any reason to think Gomes can bring positivity and lift a squad where he's already in charge and the main problem. It's much easier to come in after an unpopular manager, say some meaningless positive mantras and give everyone a morale boost. How many managers can do that to their own squad? Very few I say.

Once you're in the job the only way out of a slump is hard work and good choices. Not motivational speeches. If motivational speeches worked it wouldn't have got this bad.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 08:34

I think it has become relatively clear that Gomes was a great short term solution and did a great deal to keep us in the league last season. His positive approach and fresh ideas worked on the whole from January to May and we should be thankful for his efforts.

This season something just isn't working and Gomes seems completely out of ideas and can't get the players to play for him. I don't know if this is a case of him not being able to get his ideas across clearly (hence the increased touchline presence of John O'Shea) or if it is a simple case of the players not believing in him/not subscribing to his methods. With the talent we have in our squad we should not be anywhere near the relegation zone, it is not a case of a lack of talent imo there is more to it than that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 08:46

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

———————Rafael——————
———————Moore——————-
————Rino————-Ejaria————
———————Swift———————-
————-Boye————Meite———-

You obviously haven’t watched Pele enough :?

Moore isn’t an ideal solution there but I rate Morrison quite highly and Miazga is obviously a decent player. It’s not something I’d be looking at long term but Pele is painfully slow. We really do miss Baker there in midfield

This is the only formation I think that we can accommodate both Ejaria and Swift in the centre of the pitch because there’s adequate cover elsewhere. I get the feeling Ejaria won’t be dropped though so it’ll either be a 4-2-3-1 with Ejaria on the flank or Ejaria, Swift, Rino midfield

Yeah I get he isnt great, but I don't think the system has helped. At a big push I'd think about Ejaria on the flank and Meite as CF but it pains me to say and is cramming in a player into a system where he isn't suited again. Possibly Ejaria in for Pele and Swift and Ejaria in CM, but we know that has big flaws - maybe helped though if our FBs actually stayed in defence and Boye and Meite tracked back to support them - which they are capable of - Boye particularly

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 09:00

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Well seeing as I'm not calling for Gomes immediate sacking, it's a bit odd you've had such an arse-on at me.

I'm perfectly happy with the difference in my view on Clement vs Gomes. Results were marginally improving under him. Their deteriorating under Gomes. Gomes has already had more games, but achieved the same feat, saving us one season and then continuing our shit trend the next. Clement had an injury crisis, was permitted to spend less money in the summer and had a worse squad as well, so greater mitigating circumstances.

Feel free to offer up something other than last season's performance, not liking sackings (on this occasion) or blind optimism and I'm happy to be swayed towards a more positive view.

If you dish it out be prepared to get it back.
Anyway it’s simple. I believe Gomes is capable of changing tactics and make us hard to beat. I think he can turn it around by simple changes. Let’s start man marking, play a hard and high pressing game and stop playing wing backs.

I'm perfectly capable of taking it zip.

Why do you believe he can change it? What makes you think that?

You still agree that if he doesn't or can't he should go? How soon?

Of course he can change it. He didn’t mess up our tactics and formation last season like he has this time around. He made us hard to beat and that is where he has to go back to now. If he can do it then he can do so now.

If he can’t change tack he will have to go. I would give him to December but want to see a change against Preston.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Oct 2019 09:36

hed have till early December if up to me, though if theres no signs of improvement by November it should probs come earlier
like him, like the football when it clicks, but that clearly isn't happening much at all right now.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 10:22

We pick apart player performances week in week out.

So why not stand back and single out the manager for a record quickly becoming the worst Reading FC manager win rate in history?

All signs point to us being bottom of league by the end of the month.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 07 Oct 2019 10:30

Would be a bad decision to get rid of Gomes now IMHO despite an awful start to the season - which obviously cannot be ignored.

Reasons why i think he should get until the end of the year to turn it around -

- 8 new signings: that is wholesale change again and doesn't all click in to place overnight, this is now Gomes' squad and we have seen glimpses of the team working together. Gomes does need to nail down a team though, as clearly still doesn't know his best XI

- Creating chances: it's not like we are coming away from these defeats waving a white flag when we go behind. If it wasn't for the poor finishing (sadly Puscas) we would have gone in at HT 1up vs Charlton, got a point at Charlton, arguably won at Swansea, drawn at Bristol. Ok, all if buts and maybes but it is not like we are not creating these chances and surely is only a matter of time

- Time: if it doesn't work out by the end of December there is still time for someone to come in and keep us up (as proven last season) and also allows for replacement to make a few signings in January if needed

- Togetherness: despite the results, Mad Stad atmosphere has changed dramatically under Gomes (C1871 clearly played a huge part but without the results on the pitch last season it wouldn't be as prominent as it is now)

- Replacement: who would we get, for me - Parky/ Ainsworth or Hughes wouldn't be the answer and there are no Dean Smith types that Villa astutely appointed last season to come in. So I don't see anyone out there at present. Suggestions welcome...

I get results are not how we want them, but if we were losing every week 3-0 / 4-0 with no shots on target etc and lack of fight I would be first to want him gone.

Give him until the end of December.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Oct 2019 10:49

I do get the end of the year/give him a chance as it allows someone else to come in and rescue the season.

however I'm a bit wary of that. if you brought the right man in now who was able to sort out the defence and make us solid, we could already be midtable by December and ready to actually push for playoffs in the new year
if we let it slide till December and nothing chnages, rescuing the season is the only option.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 10:56

Maneki Neko I do get the end of the year/give him a chance as it allows someone else to come in and rescue the season.

however I'm a bit wary of that. if you brought the right man in now who was able to sort out the defence and make us solid, we could already be midtable by December and ready to actually push for playoffs in the new year
if we let it slide till December and nothing chnages, rescuing the season is the only option.

yep, matches my thoughts pretty much. A couple more weeks of this and the best we can hope for is avoiding relegation

In saying that, I do think giving a new man an international break is the best way to go. If he survives this one, would give him to the next one in Nov I think it is (obvs with a huge kick up the backside)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Oct 2019 10:59

We`ve let in 6 goals in 6 away games, disgraceful.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 11:16

We’ve won 6 times in 16 home games, abysmal.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Oct 2019 11:21

royalp-we We’ve won 6 times in 16 home games, abysmal.

P51 W14 D14 L23. GF66 GA 77 PTS 56. thats in the last 2 seasons and 5 games., not abysmal shockingly bad.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 11:24

windermereROYAL
royalp-we We’ve won 6 times in 16 home games, abysmal.

P51 W14 D14 L23. GF66 GA 77 PTS 56. thats in the last 2 seasons and 5 games., not abysmal shockingly bad.

The definition of abysmal is extremely bad..................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 11:24

windermereROYAL We`ve let in 6 goals in 6 away games, disgraceful.

our away record would be nearly acceptable if our home record wasn't utterly rancid

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Oct 2019 11:34

SCIAG If we can get someone with a proven track record like Hughton or Hughes then that's one thing. But I suspect we'd just get another journeyman off the merry-go-round and be in the same position in 12 months. Stam was our chance to break the cycle but look what happened there.

If you don't think Mark Hughes is 'another journeyman' and would be a totally incorrect appointment then your head is well and truly in the sand. Which, going off most of your posts, is likely to be the case.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 12:12

John Smith
SCIAG If we can get someone with a proven track record like Hughton or Hughes then that's one thing. But I suspect we'd just get another journeyman off the merry-go-round and be in the same position in 12 months. Stam was our chance to break the cycle but look what happened there.

If you don't think Mark Hughes is 'another journeyman' and would be a totally incorrect appointment then your head is well and truly in the sand. Which, going off most of your posts, is likely to be the case.

Hughes built a decent Stoke team up including the likes of Shaqiri, Bojan and Arnautovic and also kept Southampton up a couple of seasons ago. Certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment. I’d rather others, but I’d still be happy. You do spout some nonsense sometimes

323 posts