Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes, Should he stay or should he go? Mk2

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 18:30

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
genome
Yes he gets info on all the team lineups and it’s bang on every week

Could you chaps expand on this for the non-twatterati? I appear to have missed something.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 2170838018

This guy got a lot of signings correct and has got every XI he’s published correct

If this is true, it will be insanely good. If Hughton is interested he'd be worth signing even if we weren't doing so badly. I think Gomes ought to get at least a few more games, but if it's that and miss out on Hughton I'd go back in time to sack him last week, let alone now.

If I was his source, I'd be mightily pissed off he's sharing all the info so publicly so often though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 18:33

All the journos now saying something is happening - meeting with the owners etc

Could be the boot or if not definitely a severe warning

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 18:34

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal .

8 new signings
This has some validity. It's certainly true that Baker and Ejaria took some time to flower under Gomes before. However. Ejaria and Miazga aren't actually new, they were here last season. Morrison settled in immediately as his early performances showed. Adam isn't playing. Cabral has settled in straight away. So what you really mean is that Puscas, Joao and Pele need time. Joao has never settled and established himself anywhere.

On top of that, I look at our performances and I don't see the issues being individual players. There's certainly a lack of cohesion and understanding to an extent - particularly upfront. But I can only return to the main problems, IMO, being management based. Selection, shape, tactics, substitution, pressing, passing style.

These players absolutely deserve time (mostly). I wouldn't want a new manager to be a sea change of players AGAIN. But I think a new manager with a sensible and pragmatic approach would get the players firing better. I see this as a Rodgers vs McDermott moment, not a Stam vs Clement point.

If the manager doesn't have a decent idea of his best XI or formation after 23 games last season, a full pre-season and 11 games this season, hes got no business in management.

Creating chances
We're creating a few, but not exactly lots of great chances. We haven't been fluffing good chances regularly no matter what anyone wants to say about Puscas... a few maybe. And usually once the other team has shut up shop and allowed us to play whilst we half heartedly throw the kitchen sink on the floor at our feet.

Time
This isn't a reason I'll accept. We could give him til March and still just about have time to sort it out and survive. We cannot keep ruining our season and pulling the parachute cord just in time to survive. We need to finish a season well for a change and be clear of the business end of a relegation fight.

Togetherness
I also don't accept this as valid. This is basically a case of, well the atmosphere lifted last season. Yeah, well it's now this season and clearly that isn't working anymore. The feel good factor is well and truly gone. So sorry, not buying.

Replacement
Sorry, also not having this one. You don't keep someone underperforming for fear of not being able to find someone better. There are numerous managers around with better records than Gomes. Multiple suggestions have been made and it's not the job of fans to assess appropriate replacements. I do not buy no one else could do better. I think that's a valid argument if the manager is doing the right things and the squad just isn't performing, or there's an injury crisis. But that doesn't apply to our circumstances.

So I appreciate the effort and the first two have at least some validity even if I don't agree with them. But the rest of it is just blind faith, appeals to last season or ignorance of alternatives.

Doesn't persuade me in the slightest.

What’s it got to do with blind faith? He spent most of the summer working with the Academy lads before a splurge of signings as the season started. He has effectively been given nine games to get the team to flick. Nine games.

I think I've broken it down and explained my thinking quite clearly. Nothing to add unless you'd like to highlight something specific other than a particular couple of words and no context.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Oct 2019 18:35

I absolutely love the fact that a teenager has just murked all of the local journos

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Oct 2019 20:45

Hound
URZZZZ
John Smith If you don't think Mark Hughes is 'another journeyman' and would be a totally incorrect appointment then your head is well and truly in the sand. Which, going off most of your posts, is likely to be the case.

Hughes built a decent Stoke team up including the likes of Shaqiri, Bojan and Arnautovic and also kept Southampton up a couple of seasons ago. Certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment. I’d rather others, but I’d still be happy. You do spout some nonsense sometimes

Have to agree tbh. Don't like him a lot, but he has benefits. He is actually a manager, not a coach. A genuinely different approach might actually wake some of the players up a bit. Has plenty of experience. Would not make statements like ' I can't see us losing another game' or whatever it was.

He is a 'journeyman' but maybe thats what we need atm. After all there are other 'journeymen' around who are doing a decent job - Bruce at Sheff Weds and now Newcastle, Hodgson, Warburton at QPR, Mowbray at Blackburn for example

Hughes has a really good record and at a much higher level than we're at.

In his full seasons at Blackburn they finished 6th, 10th, and 7th. 10th in first season at Man City before being sacked with them in 6th place. 8th place in his only season at Fulham. Kept an awful QPR side up, then started the next season very badly despite spending big. 9th, 9th, 9th, and 13th at Stoke. Sacked with them in the relegation zone. Kept Southampton up, then sacked with them in the relegation zone. Very hard to judge his time at Man City, but he's finished in the top half of the Premier League seven times and been sacked in the top half once.

If Spurs appointed him then sure, he'd be a journeyman. If we appointed him, we'd have nicked a Premier League manager.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:46

SCIAG
Hound
URZZZZ
Hughes built a decent Stoke team up including the likes of Shaqiri, Bojan and Arnautovic and also kept Southampton up a couple of seasons ago. Certainly wouldn’t be a bad appointment. I’d rather others, but I’d still be happy. You do spout some nonsense sometimes

Have to agree tbh. Don't like him a lot, but he has benefits. He is actually a manager, not a coach. A genuinely different approach might actually wake some of the players up a bit. Has plenty of experience. Would not make statements like ' I can't see us losing another game' or whatever it was.

He is a 'journeyman' but maybe thats what we need atm. After all there are other 'journeymen' around who are doing a decent job - Bruce at Sheff Weds and now Newcastle, Hodgson, Warburton at QPR, Mowbray at Blackburn for example

In his full seasons at Blackburn they finished 6th, 10th, and 7th. 10th in first season at Man City before being sacked with them in 6th place. 8th place in his only season at Fulham. Kept an awful QPR side up, then started the next season very badly despite spending big. 9th, 9th, 9th, and 13th at Stoke. Sacked with them in the relegation zone. Kept Southampton up, then sacked with them in the relegation zone. Very hard to judge his time at Man City, but he's finished in the top half of the Premier League seven times and been sacked in the top half once.

If Spurs appointed him then sure, he'd be a journeyman. If we appointed him, we'd have nicked a Premier League manager.

Yep agreed. Of course playing around with the definition of a ‘journeyman’

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:47

SCIAG
Hound
URZZZZ

Well quite, anyone who thinks Hughes wouldn’t be a coup for us is deluded

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Oct 2019 20:49

Knowing our luck he’d get incapacitated after two matches

etc

Rax

by Rax » 07 Oct 2019 21:08

WoodleyRoyal
SCIAG
Hound

Good grief, Mark Hughes is an utter fraud of a manager! Just ask any QPR fan!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Oct 2019 21:10

Rax
WoodleyRoyal
SCIAG Hughes has a really good record and at a much higher level than we're at.

QPR were a total basket case when he became manager. His record is generally OK.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 21:13

leon
Rax
WoodleyRoyal

QPR were a total basket case when he became manager. His record is generally OK.

Exactly you need only to look at sciag’s post to see that. We could not honestly expect to pick up a better manager

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 21:39

I wouldn't ask a QPR fan which way was left.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 21:57

Well blow me down with a feather. 99 votes 49 in 50 out. Divided the fans or what :shock:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 22:05

A few more losses and the atmosphere will be toxic. Best to start fresh whilst they still have a few bums on seats.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 22:11

WoodleyRoyal Well blow me down with a feather. 99 votes 49 in 50 out. Divided the fans or what :shock:

Yep, right down the middle.

So, if he goes, is there anyone out there that wouldn’t be ok with Chris Hughton as his successor?

Because as far as unifying the fan base, it occurred to me that Hughton just might me our most unanimously approved appointment in quite some time. Even Coppell had his detractors at first.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 22:21

WoodleyRoyal Well blow me down with a feather. 99 votes 49 in 50 out. Divided the fans or what :shock:

Interesting. It was 40/60 for him to go when this started, but has since crept up to a 50/50.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 22:26

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Interesting. It was 40/60 for him to go when this started, but has since crept up to a 50/50.

49/51

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 22:28

WoodleyRoyal
2 world wars, 1 world cup

49/51

Sure it's not 49/50 :P

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Oct 2019 22:45

I've just cast the deciding vote. He stays!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 22:51

Jagermesiter1871 I've just cast the deciding vote. He stays!

Oh don’t you worry about that we shall have another referendum in a few weeks. Not referendum, cough, .... poll, I mean poll, don’t know why I said referendum. we shall have another POLL in a few weeks. And we shall keep having one until such time the ‘leave’ vote wins.

323 posts