Someone unknown from the continent
3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Royal Bison

Re: Next Manager

by Royal Bison » 09 Oct 2019 09:05

Need someone to give a proper kick up the arse to this lazy bunch of underachieving players.

Where's Redknapp or Warnock when you need them?! :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 09:06

hughsies no.1 Really really don’t want - One of Kia’s foreign unknowns (just please no)

Wow................ :|

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 09:07

Even with Soton, he did keep them up.

Actually sounds perfect, keep us up, start the next season terribly after a load of ill advised signings, and then get sacked

I'm not sure where the Mark Hughes=terrible football comes from. Admittedly haven't even studied it closely, but I remember Fulham playing decent football under him, and Stoke moving from Pulis-ball to being quite an attractive side to watch

He's no Allardyce/Pulis. He is however a slightly dislikable character and no doubts a bit of a whining to$$er. Which I think is what we need.
Last edited by Hound on 09 Oct 2019 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 09:08

Old Man Andrews
hughsies no.1 Really really don’t want - One of Kia’s foreign unknowns (just please no)

I'm sure he doesn't mean it in a racist way. Just someone who hasn't ever played or managed in England - ie Gomes

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Oct 2019 09:11

Ian Holloway is available and being talked up by our own Charlie Adam for the Sunderland job. Holloway was interviewed earlier on Talksport and it sounds like he would be keen to get back into management, Sunderland and Millwall were both discussed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2019 09:13

morganb Ian Holloway is available and being talked up by our own Charlie Adam for the Sunderland job. Holloway was interviewed earlier on Talksport and it sounds like he would be keen to get back into management, Sunderland and Millwall were both discussed.

If there was ever a reason to want Mark Hughes to join it is that.

And the fact that his name is actually Leslie.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 09 Oct 2019 09:13

Hound
Old Man Andrews

I'm sure he doesn't mean it in a racist way. Just someone who hasn't ever played or managed in England - ie Gomes

Correct, thank you

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2019 09:27

hughes would do a job, just don't like him and think his record is suspect
hughton a better one
same for rowett
ainsworth worth a punt
just nothing massively inspiring in that list, but we are deluded if we think we deserve or could attract the inspirational right now.
whatever happens we cant be in this position again next year though, its getting ridiculous.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Oct 2019 09:35

Hughes would be a very decent appointment in my opinion. Certainly he knows what he is doing. Certainly he knows how to play football.

He does have a very drab and dour demeanour. That is the reason why people don't like him. But he has taken Blackburn to the top 6. He has achieved all of Stokes best Premier League finishes. He did well enough at Fulham. His teams always seem to place around the top ten in the Premier League. Something we could only dream of at Reading. We'd be delighted with that sort of consistent league finish.

Another positive is that it seems that he has managed these impressive league positions with clubs of a similar stature as us without leading to massive financial problems at Stoke, Blackburn or Fulham when they eventually dropped out the top division post Hughes like we have seen at other clubs like Pompey and Bolton.

Therefore he can do very well whilst being sensible at the same time. Not necessarily the case with Harry Redknapp who has left Pompey and QPR in big difficulties following his managerial stewardship.

I would be all for Hughes. As has been mentioned before. He has never managed at Championship level. But there is plenty of evidence that he can put a side together. So if he can put a good side together then I'm sure we can win promotion from the Championship with Hughes in charge.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 09:38

Hughton head and shoulders above the rest for me but would also be very happy with Ainsworth who I have heard very good things about from another local manager. Not sure about anyone else on the list.

Just please no more foreign managers. We desperately need a long term appointment who knows about Championship football.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 09:42

andrew1957 Hughton head and shoulders above the rest for me but would also be very happy with Ainsworth who I have heard very good things about from another local manager. Not sure about anyone else on the list.

Just please no more foreign managers. We desperately need a long term appointment who knows about Championship football.

Wow, more casual racism.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 09:44

Old Man Andrews
andrew1957 Hughton head and shoulders above the rest for me but would also be very happy with Ainsworth who I have heard very good things about from another local manager. Not sure about anyone else on the list.

Wow, more casual racism.

Nothing wrong with buying British! :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 09:50

This whole "knows about Championship football" thing is nonsense

Stam had absolutely no experience of Championship football and got us to a playoff final, because he played the right system to win matches and caught a lot of teams by surprise that season. It just so happens that he didn't adapt properly in his second season.

It doesn't matter where a manager's from, if they come in with the right ideas then they are perfectly valid appointments. There's no special Championship tactic that only experienced managers know

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 09:55

Whether you agree with Hughes or not, it's encouraging we appear to have a replacement plan. Those 4 weeks or so after Clement last year were shambolic.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 09:57

WoodleyRoyal Just to add I very much doubt Chris Hughton would be interested. His stock is still quite high and could be an attractive option for a premier league struggler come Christmas time.

You really have completely lost the plot haven't you.

Why is Sol Campbell's name not in the poll? Proven himself in a lower league on a shoestring budget and in a relegation battle.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 09:58

genome This whole "knows about Championship football" thing is nonsense

Stam had absolutely no experience of Championship football and got us to a playoff final, because he played the right system to win matches and caught a lot of teams by surprise that season. It just so happens that he didn't adapt properly in his second season.

It doesn't matter where a manager's from, if they come in with the right ideas then they are perfectly valid appointments. There's no special Championship tactic that only experienced managers know

Bluntly that is rubbish. Some managers like Warnock and Hughton to name two have showed that they know how to build a team to compete at this level and have been consistently successful. On a balance of probability you are far more likely to achieve success with such a manager than you are with someone coming in from overseas with little knowledge of the division. It is not just about tactics but also about adapting to the grind of groups of matches together in short time periods and then long international gaps and recovering quickly from losses.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 10:08

John Smith
WoodleyRoyal Just to add I very much doubt Chris Hughton would be interested. His stock is still quite high and could be an attractive option for a premier league struggler come Christmas time.

You really have completely lost the plot haven't you.

Why is Sol Campbell's name not in the poll? Proven himself in a lower league on a shoestring budget and in a relegation battle.

:?: trolling of the highest order there JS, you honestly think Hughton will be interested in coming to this shambles? :lol:
And then to suggest Sol Campbell :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 10:20

andrew1957

Bluntly that is rubbish. Some managers like Warnock and Hughton to name two have showed that they know how to build a team to compete at this level and have been consistently successful. On a balance of probability you are far more likely to achieve success with such a manager than you are with someone coming in from overseas with little knowledge of the division. It is not just about tactics but also about adapting to the grind of groups of matches together in short time periods and then long international gaps and recovering quickly from losses.

It's football. There's no magic potion for the Championship; some managers are just good at building teams over time and having good man-management and schedule management, which is a skill anyone could have. They don't need to be British to do that.

The whole "championship experience" thing is just a nonsense cliche.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2019 10:30

I don't think there is a special magical manergerial/tactical formula, but I do think foreign managers CAN be taken totally unawares by the physical challenge of the championship in terms of the sheer slog of the 46 games, and the utter lack of time you get on the ball. I also think that many of the tactics they TEND to employ aren't suited to coping with those challenges.
that doesn't matter that some one couldn't come in, assess those challenges and come up with a team and tactics to cope with it though, obvs, but youd imagine its more likely with someone who has been there and done it before

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2019 10:33

Given our last 3 appointments have been men with little to no experience of managing at our level (or at all) - I think we can safely assume they are going to go with someone with extensive experience of the English game at this level or above.

We won't be taking a "gamble" on someone like Ainsworth this time.

606 posts