Total votes: 202
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by genome » 11 Oct 2019 09:27

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews :| :| :| :| :|

Hate it when we are looking for a new manager, all sorts of silly people come out of the woodwork making dopey suggestions.

I know, right? Some idiot keeps suggesting Gareth Ainsworth!

A proven Footbal League manager who has done an incredible job with average players? Yeah crazy suggestion........

Who, Sol Campbell? Agreed.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Oct 2019 09:46

Don’t particularly care who we get, just get on with it and give them the time to meet the players and work with them. Should have a new guy in before Tuesday/Wednesday the absolute latest, not like last year which took over two weeks

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2019 09:46

Hound Interesting that Bowen has gone right out very quickly. Hughes back to favourite.

Roy Keane? Maybe. Be a gamble but yeah there is a bit of me that would like to see it. It might work

Won Sunderland promotion having taken them over as the bottom placed club - so has shown it can turn around a shoddy ship. I feel it definitely needs to be someone who will scare the living shits out of the players a bit, so Hughes/Keane would fit that role.

Keane has a 38% win rate in his 2 jobs mostly at this level, which is surprisingly good.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Oct 2019 09:47

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews :| :| :| :| :|

Hate it when we are looking for a new manager, all sorts of silly people come out of the woodwork making dopey suggestions.

I know, right? Some idiot keeps suggesting Gareth Ainsworth!

A proven Footbal League manager who has done an incredible job with average players? Yeah crazy suggestion........

Must admit Ainsworth wouldn’t be the top of my list. He’d have my support if he came but it rarely works pinching a manager from the lower leagues, just like Nathan Jones is showing so far this season and Paul Hurst last season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2019 09:51

Stranded
Hound Interesting that Bowen has gone right out very quickly. Hughes back to favourite.

Roy Keane? Maybe. Be a gamble but yeah there is a bit of me that would like to see it. It might work

Won Sunderland promotion having taken them over as the bottom placed club - so has shown it can turn around a shoddy ship. I feel it definitely needs to be someone who will scare the living shits out of the players a bit, so Hughes/Keane would fit that role.

Keane has a 38% win rate in his 2 jobs mostly at this level, which is surprisingly good.

He was very good at Sunderland. I'm agreed on the need to employ a pcunt, and he very clearly fits that bill. Searching around, he is clearly looking to get back into management so I suspect he would be very keen on it

I read his book a few years ago and found it pretty entertaining. He clearly has the ability to manage a team if he can control his own nutcase tendencies.

Be pretty entertaining anyway. We might be rubbish but at least it wouldn't be boring.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Oct 2019 09:53

Hound
Stranded

He was very good at Sunderland. I'm agreed on the need to employ a pcunt, and he very clearly fits that bill. Searching around, he is clearly looking to get back into management so I suspect he would be very keen on it

I read his book a few years ago and found it pretty entertaining. He clearly has the ability to manage a team if he can control his own nutcase tendencies.

Be pretty entertaining anyway. We might be rubbish but at least it wouldn't be boring.

File under joey barton

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2019 09:56

If the board are seriously considering hiring Roy Keane and to a lesser extent Mark Hughes it would suggest to me that the players have been taking the piss a bit or the previous management gave them too much rope. Lack of discipline perhaps?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Oct 2019 10:03

Old Man Andrews If the board are seriously considering hiring Roy Keane and to a lesser extent Mark Hughes it would suggest to me that the players have been taking the piss a bit or the previous management gave them too much rope. Lack of discipline perhaps?

There isn't an obvious firebrand or trouble maker in the squad and I remember something coming out about a previous manager (Clement?) removing 'strong personalities' from the squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2019 10:03

Old Man Andrews If the board are seriously considering hiring Roy Keane and to a lesser extent Mark Hughes it would suggest to me that the players have been taking the piss a bit or the previous management gave them too much rope. Lack of discipline perhaps?

quite possibly. Obvs its only speculation at the moment, we might get another cuddly Gomes type coach come in to put an arm round them all

If Keane is genuinely being considered then there's a fair chance Bowen has been seeing things he hasn't liked from the player's attitude

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Oct 2019 10:04

Hound
Stranded

This might be neither here nor there, but haven't Sky Sports just signed him up on a nice contract? Would we have to pay it out? :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2019 10:08

genome
This might be neither here nor there, but haven't Sky Sports just signed him up on a nice contract? Would we have to pay it out? :lol:

I think like with Neville previously, there would be a release clause in the event of a club coming in for him

Saw some article saying that one of the reasons he signed up with Sky was to try and keep himself visible for another manager's gig

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Oct 2019 10:12

morganb

There isn't an obvious firebrand or trouble maker in the squad and I remember something coming out about a previous manager (Clement?) removing 'strong personalities' from the squad.

The rumour with Clement was that he was actually too nice.

Gomes seemed to come in a be a bit stricter, but maybe too clumsily (banishing squad members etc)

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Oct 2019 10:27

Stanage how noone is mentioning Gareth Ainsworth. Managed Wycombe since 2012 and done well considering virtually no budget. Won a promotion from League couple seasons ago and his side are currently 2nd in League 1 which considering how many big teams are there is nothing short of a miracle.

Maybe been there too long perhaps but he will be local.

He is odds on fav for the sunderland job.

I think my favs would be Hughes or Parky. Not sure about Roy Keane (miserable git)

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Oct 2019 10:28

genome
morganb

Gomes seemed to come in a be a bit stricter, but maybe too clumsily (banishing squad members etc)

I thought Gomes came across too nice as well.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Oct 2019 10:30

royalsteve
genome
morganb

I thought Gomes came across too nice as well.

To the media & fans, yeah.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2019 10:37

royalsteve Stanage how noone is mentioning Gareth Ainsworth. Managed Wycombe since 2012 and done well considering virtually no budget. Won a promotion from League couple seasons ago and his side are currently 2nd in League 1 which considering how many big teams are there is nothing short of a miracle.

I think my favs would be Hughes or Parky. Not sure about Roy Keane (miserable git)

OMA is definitely mentioning Gareth Ainsworth. In every post he makes.

But yeah would in many ways be a very good fit here, being local and all that. Not sure he'd be turning out for Woodley every week if he went up to Sunderland. I'm genuinely not sure he'd go. I think he may only be favourite as its confirmed that they want to speak to him

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2019 10:42

Gareth Ainsworth is a top coach with a track record of getting the best out of average players. He has done a remarkable job in recent years at Wycombe. I am just not sure he is the right man for right now. Had Gomes got us up to 10th place and moved on to a bigger club that would have been the time for Ainsworth to come, might be too much to ask to expect him to instantly get us out of a relegation battle.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2019 10:42

Hound
royalsteve Stanage how noone is mentioning Gareth Ainsworth. Managed Wycombe since 2012 and done well considering virtually no budget. Won a promotion from League couple seasons ago and his side are currently 2nd in League 1 which considering how many big teams are there is nothing short of a miracle.

OMA is definitely mentioning Gareth Ainsworth. In every post he makes.

But yeah would in many ways be a very good fit here, being local and all that. Not sure he'd be turning out for Woodley every week if he went up to Sunderland. I'm genuinely not sure he'd go. I think he may only be favourite as its confirmed that they want to speak to him

Ainsworth is definitely an option - unfortunately I don't think he is the right manager at this point in time to come in mid-season.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Oct 2019 10:51

we are not even quart-season yet

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 11 Oct 2019 10:57

The Enfield Royal71
Old Man Andrews
Ranty McRantface Just throwing another random name in. Sol Campbell. Pulled off the great escape with Macclesfield who looked doomed for the National League. If you read his interview with the shit he had to cope with there he did an absolutely smashing job and certainly got the respect from the players.

Not saying he would be my number 1 choice but there is no harm in interviewing him to see what he could offer.

:| :| :| :| :|

The only way his name would be anywhere near it is so the BAME quota for management interviews is met.

He would be an awful appointment. A big name like Zola or Scholes who cannot hack it at management level.

Erm. I'm assuming you continued reading beyond Sol Campbell. Look at Macclesfields position on when he took over and then at the end of season. He pulled off a blinder. To compare him to Zola and Scholes who didn't even finish their respective campaigns is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, he's only had one job but that is one more than Stam had at a far more competitive level before we took a punt on him.

606 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:46