3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
hughsies no.1

Re: Next Manager

by hughsies no.1 » 14 Oct 2019 10:08

Old Man Andrews
hughsies no.1 IF it is Bowen, surely has to be down to FFP.

Nothing to do with it.

Getting Gomes off the wage-bill and making an internal appointment - will certainly help the books!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Oct 2019 10:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup
paultheroyal With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

Tell you what, he must rate himself and got a magic wand because he has put himself under an enormous amount of pressure from the get go. Executioner turned manager rolled into one. Good luck with that.

Maybe he knows something, maybe he is that confident we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

If true, can't help being disappointed. But that's probably a good thing as I was equally disappointed with McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, McDermott, Pardew

Will have the continuity, knows the players. Will hopefully bring in a decent coaching team.

But yeah you're right, will be under significant pressure for sure.

has the feel of a short term punt whilst waiting for the real target to come in next summer to me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 10:11

Hound
Old Man Andrews
If true, can't help being disappointed. But that's probably a good thing as I was equally disappointed with McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, McDermott, Pardew

Will have the continuity, knows the players. Will hopefully bring in a decent coaching team.

This is the part about it I don't like. I would rather someone came in who didn't know the players and makea new assesment of them, some of them think they are still on holiday and haven't started the season yet. We needed someone like Gareth Ainsworth to come in and remotivate them and give them some belief. He is a proven excellent man manager.

You'd go for Ainsworth OMA?

I'm happy to give Bowen a chance. Certainly pressure will be on, but he must have seen things he thinks he can do a lot better than were being done before. Guessing he'll bring in his old coaching team so will have plenty of experience. A few of us did give him some credit for our improved displays after he joined the club last year, so there are signs he may be ok

Wonder who will take over as DOF?

Its a total stitch up Hound, its worrying. I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram just yet as Bowen hasn't even taken the reigns yet but the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me. I have this vision of him going to our owners with a powerpoint presentation of how he would do a better job than Gomes and them buying it, I don't really trust the owners judgement on footballing matters at all.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 10:13

Hound
Old Man Andrews

This is the part about it I don't like. I would rather someone came in who didn't know the players and makea new assesment of them, some of them think they are still on holiday and haven't started the season yet. We needed someone like Gareth Ainsworth to come in and remotivate them and give them some belief. He is a proven excellent man manager.

Wonder who will take over as DOF?

Mark Hughes

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 14 Oct 2019 10:14

Don't think l care anymore...........

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 10:16

Also throws into question the Gomes sacking for me too, no secret that he was on a decent sum of money - obviously results didn't help his cause, but does make me think getting his salary off the books and appointing internally could make it a financial decision?

If Bowen does get the job, we obviously need to back him, regardless if we think it is the right appointment or not - perhaps an under-stated appointment may not be the worst thing?

Don’t think it’d be down to FFP to be honest. What I don’t understand is that if it’s Bowen, why didn’t they just announce it when Gomes was fired? Unless they thought they were getting someone else in and they turned them down

Don’t think it’s going to be anyone’s first choice, but may as well support them, whoever they are

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 10:17

Just a quick question but does anybody know if Mark Bowen has links to Kia Joorabchian i.e. does he retain him as an adviser/agent?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 14 Oct 2019 10:25

If it is Bowen we’ve had some dreadful managerial appointments in the past but this takes the biscuit, no pun intended .

Club is a fcuking shambles

Maybe the final straw that’s broken the supporters backs

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 10:26

Stranded Just a quick question but does anybody know if Mark Bowen has links to Kia Joorabchian i.e. does he retain him as an adviser/agent?

wouldn't be surprised. Hughes obviously had his links

In terms of being a stitch up - maybe. On the other hand, Howe may well have been very impressed actually seeing him in action as DoF. Maybe he has got far more confidence in him than he did in Gomes. I'm assuming he is the one advising the owners

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 10:28

Gunny Fishcake If it is Bowen we’ve had some dreadful managerial appointments in the past but this takes the biscuit, no pun intended .

Club is a fcuking shambles

Maybe the final straw that’s broken the supporters backs

Any new manager deserves time no matter what we think of them. This could easily end up being a masterstroke.

I am happy giving Bowen until Christmas to see what direction the club go.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2019 10:28

URZZZZ

Also throws into question the Gomes sacking for me too, no secret that he was on a decent sum of money - obviously results didn't help his cause, but does make me think getting his salary off the books and appointing internally could make it a financial decision?

If Bowen does get the job, we obviously need to back him, regardless if we think it is the right appointment or not - perhaps an under-stated appointment may not be the worst thing?

Don’t think it’d be down to FFP to be honest. What I don’t understand is that if it’s Bowen, why didn’t they just announce it when Gomes was fired? Unless they thought they were getting someone else in and they turned them down

Don’t think it’s going to be anyone’s first choice, but may as well support them, whoever they are

Shirley if its Bowen they would have announced it now....It would be a straight forward appointment. The guy will never get a better chance for a first team job so its not like money or terms would be the issue.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Oct 2019 10:30

You lot are unbelievable. Give the guy a chance. Beat Preston on Saturday. Top six by Christmas. Uuuuurrrrrzzzzzz !

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 10:30

Ascotexgunner
URZZZZ

Shirley if its Bowen they would have announced it now....It would be a straight forward appointment. The guy will never get a better chance for a first team job so its not like money or terms would be the issue.

Why would they need to announce it instantly? The players would know and a lot of them are on international duty anyway so it may well be a case of waiting for them to all get back so the playing staff can be told collectively before the media are informed officially.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 10:37

Hound
Stranded Just a quick question but does anybody know if Mark Bowen has links to Kia Joorabchian i.e. does he retain him as an adviser/agent?

In terms of being a stitch up - maybe. On the other hand, Howe may well have been very impressed actually seeing him in action as DoF. Maybe he has got far more confidence in him than he did in Gomes. I'm assuming he is the one advising the owners

Being a good DoF is not a good basis for becoming a manager. Completely different roles and skill sets. Did we ever experiment with Hammond?

I don't know what to think really. It could work, internal appointments have been effective in the past. It just doesn't feel right. Bowen was heavily involved in the decision to sack Gomes; there's something grating about seeing him take on the role himself.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 10:37

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

Tell you what, he must rate himself and got a magic wand because he has put himself under an enormous amount of pressure from the get go. Executioner turned manager rolled into one. Good luck with that.

Maybe he knows something, maybe he is that confident we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

I hear you. Fair argument. I guess it's pluses and minuses isn't it. On the one hand a fresh approach can be helpful for the reasons you mention but I was just saying there is a positive element to having some sort of continuity/ knowing the players. Whether that mitigates not having a fresh look, I don't know.

As I say I'm not too keen for Bowen to take the helm but for some reason internal appointments have worked out for us better than external ones overall.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Oct 2019 10:41

I had a dream it was Pardew. :shock:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 10:42

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

Being a good DoF is not a good basis for becoming a manager. Completely different roles and skill sets. Did we ever experiment with Hammond?

I don't know what to think really. It could work, internal appointments have been effective in the past. It just doesn't feel right. Bowen was heavily involved in the decision to sack Gomes; there's something grating about seeing him take on the role himself.

yeah I know. Trying to look for the positives :)

to be honest, it will all be forgotten about if we do well, or else it will all be thrown back at him if we start (continue) losing games. Its certainly not my choice, I'm not mad about how its happened, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

He is apparently rated as a coach, so its not all bad. tbh its probably a better appointment than Gomes was, who was brought in with a poor record on an agents whim

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 10:44

Wasnt Clarke rated highly as a coach? Doesnt guarentee being a good or even decent manager.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 10:47

NewCorkSeth Wasnt Clarke rated highly as a coach? Doesnt guarentee being a good or even decent manager.

He is a good coach and manager though, has done reasonably well everywhere he has been.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 10:47

It may be he had some very clear views as DoF on what Gomes was doing wrong, and considers himself best placed to fix quickly. In which case, good luck and I hope he's right.

I'm interested to see if we get a new DoF. And if he's not very good, does he go back upstairs? Or is his time at the club finished if he doesn't do well?

606 posts