8%

Total votes: 202
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Next Manager

by RoyalBlue » 14 Oct 2019 11:48

If Bowen is appointed it's a complete and utter effing joke. The guy has been a serial failure as Assistant Manager to his mate Mark Hughes. Furthermore, as Sporting Director IMO he's every bit as much to blame for the poor start to the season as Gomes and his coaching team. He then compounds that by getting Gomes sacked and taking his job!

Despite having season tickets, if this happens, I think I'll save the time and expense of travelling to the Mad Stad and start supporting my local non league team instead.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Oct 2019 11:49

NewCorkSeth Wasnt Clarke rated highly as a coach? Doesnt guarentee being a good or even decent manager.

He had a credible spell in management at West Brom before we appointed him though

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 11:50

RoyalBlue If Bowen is appointed it's a complete and utter effing joke. The guy has been a serial failure as Assistant Manager to his mate Mark Hughes. Furthermore, as Sporting Director IMO he's every bit as much to blame for the poor start to the season as Gomes and his coaching team. He then compounds that by getting Gomes sacked and taking his job!

Despite having season tickets, if this happens, I think I'll save the time and expense of travelling to the Mad Stad and start supporting my local non league team instead.

Holy overreaction Batman.

Out of interest what is the criteria for being a "serial failure" as a number 2. What makes him a failure? What have you seen or heard to suggest he isn't a good assistant manager? Please offer up the facts.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Oct 2019 11:51

windermereROYAL Wasn`t Eddie Niedzwiecki an assistant here before?

Yes, and IIRC he also did a short spell as caretaker manager. I think he got sent off (sent to the stands) when he was in charge as Caretaker Manager.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 11:51

RoyalBlue If Bowen is appointed it's a complete and utter effing joke. The guy has been a serial failure as Assistant Manager to his mate Mark Hughes. Furthermore, as Sporting Director IMO he's every bit as much to blame for the poor start to the season as Gomes and his coaching team. He then compounds that by getting Gomes sacked and taking his job!

Yeah, because Gomes’ record was great before he joined us!

Al these bitter fans that their hero Gomes has gone are pathetic. The bloke failed, simple as that. Give the new guy a chance FFS. Hate the self entitlement of our fans. He’s now going to be under pressure from day 1 which is just embarrassing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 11:52

in those terms, it doesn't actually sound too stupid. Steadying hand til the end of the season - see where it goes from there

Again, not my first choice, but not writing it off. And certainly won't be tearing up my season ticket quite yet

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Oct 2019 11:53

Give him a chance.

If he puts on a nice suit and gives a few nice quotes about his "process" and says "my players" a few times I'm sure the twitterati will soon fall at his feet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 11:53

URZZZZ

Al these bitter fans that their hero Gomes has gone are pathetic. The bloke failed, simple as that. Give the new guy a chance FFS. Hate the self entitlement of our fans. He’s now going to be under pressure from day 1 which is just embarrassing

yes, the tears over Gomes are a bit pathetic. I know he was a nice guy, but very little justification to keep him on

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Oct 2019 11:55

Old Man Andrews

Out of interest what is the criteria for being a "serial failure" as a number 2. What makes him a failure? What have you seen or heard to suggest he isn't a good assistant manager? Please offer up the facts.

The facts are that he was assistant to Hughes. Are you claiming Hughes has been a successful manager? If so, I guess you could claim that Bowen has been successful as his assistant! Personally I do not believe either have a good record in management.

Over reaction or not, I am utterly peed off with the way the club has acted. IMO it was bad enough that they sacked Gomes who lost extremely key players at the end of the season and didn't get Ejaria and Miazga back until the start - thus meaning he had only 9-10 weeks (less international breaks) to work with his full new squad. Putting the back stabber Bowen in charge just compounds that.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 14 Oct 2019 11:55

RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL Wasn`t Eddie Niedzwiecki an assistant here before?

Yes, and IIRC he also did a short spell as caretaker manager. I think he got sent off (sent to the stands) when he was in charge as Caretaker Manager.

Yes, either after Branfoot or Porterfield. Hopeless then.

I believe Mark Bowen actually played for us once - in some Autoglass / pre season nonsense?? Strap??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 11:59

one advantage of Bowen, is it really shouldn't mean a case of trying to ship out a load of players/make loads of new signings again.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 11:59

RoyalBlue
Old Man Andrews

The facts are that he was assistant to Hughes. Are you claiming Hughes has been a successful manager? If so, I guess you could claim that Bowen has been successful as his assistant! Personally I do not believe either have a good record in management.

Over reaction or not, I am utterly peed off with the way the club has acted. IMO it was bad enough that they sacked Gomes who lost extremely key players at the end of the season and didn't get Ejaria and Miazga back until the start - thus meaning he had only 9-10 weeks (less international breaks) to work with his full new squad. Putting the back stabber Bowen in charge just compounds that.

Define success.

Has Mark Hughes always been in work and managed at international level earning high praise for making Wales a lot better? Yes. Has he done a decent job with unfancied Blackburn Rovers? Yes. Did he save Southampton from certain relegation in the Premier League? Yes. He was at Stoke for 5 years so must have done a fairly decent job there.

Mark Bowen was with Hughes in all those examples.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 12:00

Think you are pushing it a bit at "serial failure". In any walk of life you don't want a manager micro managing what you do, so perhaps he just let Gomes get on with it, tried to offer advice and was not happened.

So maybe, just maybe this could be inspired. He has put himself under huge amount of pressure. I for one hope he succeeds, will carry on going to matches, and hope you enjoy your non league experience.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 14 Oct 2019 12:01

Hound
URZZZZ

yes, the tears over Gomes are a bit pathetic. I know he was a nice guy, but very little justification to keep him on

He didn't f*cking fail! He wasn't given a chance to fail because the out of touch with reality 'instant success' brigade, and that includes the owners, pushed him out.

Gomes' record, giving the circumstances (inherited shit squad, low in morale and then hit FFP) wasn't that bad. He kept us up against the odds, got the fans back on side (now clearly undone by his sacking and the rumoured appointment of his little sh*t boss), and got us playing better, more attractive, football and to a point where things, given a bit of patience, would more than likely have clicked into place.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 14 Oct 2019 12:02

Hound one advantage of Bowen, is it really shouldn't mean a case of trying to ship out a load of players/make loads of new signings again.

Is that really an advantage ? there are players here that collectively have got multiple managers the sack.
The clear out needs to continue for a few windows yet.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 12:05

RoyalBlue
Hound
URZZZZ

He didn't f*cking fail! He wasn't given a chance to fail because the out of touch with reality 'instant success' brigade, and that includes the owners, pushed him out.

Gomes' record, giving the circumstances (inherited shit squad, low in morale and then hit FFP) wasn't that bad. He kept us up against the odds, got the fans back on side (now clearly undone by his sacking and the rumoured appointment of his little sh*t boss), and got us playing better, more attractive, football and to a point where things, given a bit of patience, would more than likely have clicked into place.

Lowest win rate of any Reading manager in modern history.

In the relegation zone despite spending lots of money on high quality players.

Unable to address leaky defence.

Confuses players by changing personel and formation in every game we play.

Unable to get instructions across to players so has to get John O'Shea to instruct the team at Bristol City.

Gomes just isn't a very good manager. He was about our 4th choice to take over from Clement and the owners got it wrong on this one. His record in management will tell you all you need to know about him. Put your clear man-crush to one side for 2 minutes and wake up and realise that with Gomes in charge all season we would be in League 1 this time next year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 12:05

RoyalBlue
Hound
URZZZZ

Of course. Because fans were queuing up inside for the Fulham game weren’t they :roll:

He brought the fans back and he then lost them again. Which is why our attendance was horrendous vs Fulham

You say more attractive football? Well, fair enough if you enjoy defenders passing around the back with no movement up field. I know I, and a lot of people don’t

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 12:06

Old Man Andrews
RoyalBlue
Hound

Lowest win rate of any Reading manager in modern history.

In the relegation zone despite spending lots of money on high quality players.

Unable to address leaky defence.

Confuses players by changing personel and formation in every game we play.

Unable to get instructions across to players so has to get John O'Shea to instruct the team at Bristol City.

Gomes just isn't a very good manager. He was about our 4th choice to take over from Clement and the owners got it wrong on this one. His record in management will tell you all you need to know about him. Put your clear man-crush to one side for 2 minutes and wake up and realise that with Gomes in charge all season we would be in League 1 this time next year.

Wasn’t Gomes’ higher than Clement’s? I thought the lowest win record was after 30 games or something. Could be wrong, mind

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Oct 2019 12:07

RoyalBlue
Hound
URZZZZ

If Clement had had Martinez, Miazga, Ejaria and Baker he could have kept us up also. Not sure Gomes did that much of an amazing job.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 12:08

Armadillo Roadkill
RoyalBlue
Hound

If Clement had had Martinez, Miazga, Ejaria and Baker he could have kept us up also. Not sure Gomes did that much of an amazing job.

Whilst I wanted Gomes out, you can’t rewrite history. It’s like saying if Clement had Aguero, Sterling and De Bruyne, he could have won the league with City. Gomes did enough to keep us up but that was his limit. No point in trying to diminish his success however

606 posts