141 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2019 19:26

When : Saturday, 19th October 2019, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Well after an international break that, for some reason, for once lacked much of the tedium of others we return to action with a new manager who everyone is fully behind :?

Mr Bowen is going take up the reins of management for the very first time and hopefully it will be a success rather than yet another false dawn and a waste of everyone’s time.

At home he doesn’t have much to live up to. The club has consistently managed to produce 2 and a bit years of utter toilet at the Madejski so managing to at least avoid the standard depression would be a good start as Reading go looking for what would be their first Saturday home win of the season.

In the day or two Mr Bowen will have with the players after international duty, one expects it’ll be too soon to really address Reading’s problem of being able to do the difficult spectacularly well but be completely abject in every respect at the basics like passing, defending and getting on the end of what little service is provided in the opponent’s penalty area.

And this game, not to mention the 2 following games, is against the in form and organised. Preston battered Barnsley by 5 to 1 last time they got together and haven’t been beaten in the league since going down at Swansea on 17th August. Preston have only failed to score in 1 league game (their opener at Millwall) but conversely they’ve conceded goals in their last 4 games and only managed 1 win. So perhaps now is as good as ever to try and beat them although they are currently the Championship’s top scorers on 23.

Believe both squads are near full strength barring any international consequences. Reading will presumably adopt a similar style of passing game but just what formation and personnel will get the nod is completely yours to speculate on and the likes of McCleary, Gunter and a Baldock may well be back in the mix.

It may not be the best appointment and you may hate the idea but the fact is it’s Mark who has the job so please let’s all get behind the team and at least give him a chance to turn things around and just perhaps we might all be surprised.

Referee

Mr Dean Whitestone returns for his first shot at a Reading game in over a year.

Previously

12 Aug 2018 > Reading 2-0 Birmingham City (League Cup)
05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2-1 Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 29th league game with Preston in Reading. Reading has been a bit of a graveyard for visiting Preston teams down the years (pretty much like Deepdale is for visiting Reading teams) with Reading ahead by 18 wins to 4.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 14 Oct 2019 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by a new hope

by windermereROYAL » 14 Oct 2019 19:29

Well at least the ref is lucky for us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 19:41

We have a lot of options for this. I just hope Bowen goes with a back four and not the ridiculous back five we were playing. I'd go

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Pele
Rino

Meite
Swift
Boye

Puscas

Walker, Morrison, Richards, McCleary, Joao, Ejaria, Baldock

I like Morrison but can't quite fit him in. Tempted to put Moore as one of the holding midfielders, like where he played well against Bristol, but probably easier to play people in their natural positions at this moment. Focus on Pele moving the ball on as quick as possible and not dawdle around on it

Meite and Boye to stay out wide, so Yiadom and Blackett aren't playing as wingers and hopefully Puscas to discover some form. Ejaria on the bench to give him up a kick up the backside, been poor recently

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 14 Oct 2019 20:15

We will be lucky to get 5,000 at the game judging by the amount of crying and 'fans' on twitter saying they will boycott the club now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:31

If we actually play it as a back 5 rather than put the wing backs ahead of midfielders I think it's ok.

Can't afford 2 marauding wing backs, 2 attacking midfielders and 2 strikers though. Got to be a more defensive midfield, or drop a striker and a midfielder and play with a couple of wide forwards who can also support the wing backs going back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 21:47

Snowflake Royal If we actually play it as a back 5 rather than put the wing backs ahead of midfielders I think it's ok.

Can't afford 2 marauding wing backs, 2 attacking midfielders and 2 strikers though. Got to be a more defensive midfield, or drop a striker and a midfielder and play with a couple of wide forwards who can also support the wing backs going back.

Can't stress the importance of the wing backs being able to take a man on and get a cross in. Not one of them can. It simply doesn't work if the fullbacks aren't good enough going forward. It's OK as a measure if you're playing for a draw but on a week to week basis, Yiadom and Obita/Richards simply aren't capable IMO

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:57

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal If we actually play it as a back 5 rather than put the wing backs ahead of midfielders I think it's ok.

Can't stress the importance of the wing backs being able to take a man on and get a cross in. Not one of them can. It simply doesn't work if the fullbacks aren't good enough going forward. It's OK as a measure if you're playing for a draw but on a week to week basis, Yiadom and Obita/Richards simply aren't capable IMO

I disagree. They can if coaches to do it, but were clearly inclined and coached to cut inside and play around the outside of the box to midfielders.

Obita has a good cross (and corner), I'm sure the other two can do it, Blackett has an excellent cross in his locker.

I'm convinced the side just needs a minor rebalance to protect the flanks and switch up the attacker to holder ratio from 6:4 to 5:5 or 4:6 and we'll see considerable improvement.

I like Bowen's talk of removing excuses. Of being positive and going for it. Of sustaining performance and effort.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 23:24

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I disagree. They can if coaches to do it, but were clearly inclined and coached to cut inside and play around the outside of the box to midfielders.

Obita has a good cross (and corner), I'm sure the other two can do it, Blackett has an excellent cross in his locker.

I'm convinced the side just needs a minor rebalance to protect the flanks and switch up the attacker to holder ratio from 6:4 to 5:5 or 4:6 and we'll see considerable improvement.

I like Bowen's talk of removing excuses. Of being positive and going for it. Of sustaining performance and effort.

On the attack:hold ratio point, was watching Preston's highlights vs Barnsley earlier, all five of their goals either came from a counter attack or Barnsley losing the ball in a dangerous area. So what's needed, as you say, is discipline and not over committing and clearing your lines when you have to

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 14 Oct 2019 23:31

thanks

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2019 07:43

Dean Whitestone = Fraud

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Oct 2019 07:57

Dont know whether a remodel is needed yet or not. I reckon it's either going to be a 5-3-2 or a 4-2-3-1 but dont care which. We probably have better players for a 5-3-2.

I want to see Rafael, Yiadom, Rinomhota, Swift and Meite in the team. Dont mind who else plays after them though I have my preference.

Going to second that we need more restricted Wing Backs. I will happily trade a lack of constant attacking overlap for defensive stability.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Oct 2019 08:17

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

On the attack:hold ratio point, was watching Preston's highlights vs Barnsley earlier, all five of their goals either came from a counter attack or Barnsley losing the ball in a dangerous area. So what's needed, as you say, is discipline and not over committing and clearing your lines when you have to

There's a part of me that whilst acknowledging that what you say is very sensible believes that one of our problems is that we've picked attacking line ups but lacked the courage of our convictions. Personally if we're going to play two attacking midfielders, 2 strikers and high wing backs then we need to fully commit to that assuming that at times we will be susceptible on the break.

No system is infallible and they all have areas that the opposition can exploit but I feel we don't actually threaten teams enough going forward given the line ups that have been deployed. There's a lot of talk about our defensive frailties but it's not like our keeper is having to make a string of saves every game due to the plethora of chances we're giving up. I think most would agree Miazga is our best defender and if he can get a run of games then that will inherently make us stronger as a unit.

Individual defensive errors always come into focus (and for sure we need to cut those out) but honestly I feel in general it's in the attacking part of our game that we're underachieving more than the defensive side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Oct 2019 09:42

Definitely set up to be fairly robust and nothing to clever. The urrrzzz line up looks about right - though would keep in Richards probably

Would happily take a 0-0. Solid back 4 and start from there

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2019 09:46

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinomhota
Olise
Swift

Ejaria
Baldock
Boye

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Oct 2019 09:53

its actually pretty hard to pick a side looking at it. So many players about the same level, none particularly on good form

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2019 09:54

Their away form isn't great - only won once. Being optimistic I think the new manager bounce can definitely get us a point.

Then again it could be a Swansea-esque New Years' Day moment when the "new dawn" lasted barely two minutes.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Oct 2019 10:14

Old Man Andrews Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinomhota
Olise
Swift

Ejaria
Baldock
Boye

No McCleary??

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2019 10:32

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinomhota
Olise
Swift

Ejaria
Baldock
Boye

No McCleary??

A jokes a joke mate but thats going too far.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2019 11:21

Vision
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

There's a part of me that whilst acknowledging that what you say is very sensible believes that one of our problems is that we've picked attacking line ups but lacked the courage of our convictions. Personally if we're going to play two attacking midfielders, 2 strikers and high wing backs then we need to fully commit to that assuming that at times we will be susceptible on the break.

No system is infallible and they all have areas that the opposition can exploit but I feel we don't actually threaten teams enough going forward given the line ups that have been deployed. There's a lot of talk about our defensive frailties but it's not like our keeper is having to make a string of saves every game due to the plethora of chances we're giving up. I think most would agree Miazga is our best defender and if he can get a run of games then that will inherently make us stronger as a unit.

Individual defensive errors always come into focus (and for sure we need to cut those out) but honestly I feel in general it's in the attacking part of our game that we're underachieving more than the defensive side.

Do agree to an extent. But what teams were doing were scoring an early goal, then sitting back on it. They know we have no real threat from out wide because our crossing is poor, so they make us try and squeeze through the middle where there isn’t enough room. They also let our CB’s have the ball, in particular Morrison, because they know it isn’t one of his strengths

If we can keep them out in the first 15 minutes or even snatch an early goal ourselves, hopefully the direction of the game may change. Preston may commit numbers forward, which will give us more of an opportunity to play. Like we did against Cardiff

So overall I’d probably put the blame to the defenders as much as the attackers. The defenders for giving away stupid goals, which makes the attackers job harder because there’s a lot less room to play

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2019 15:14

I've just realised Daniel Johnson will be playing tomorrow. The potential for one of the biggest midfield footballing lessons since Arter for Fulham a few weeks ago.

141 posts