BBC clickbaiting women's football....

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BBC clickbaiting women's football....

by Sanguine » 09 Oct 2019 22:25

FiNeRaIn
Sanguine You'll be relieved that as far as I know it's only these 'footballers' who are allowed out of the kitchen.

There is always someone that create's an extreme of an argument that isn't there. Best wishes to the females, I wish them all the success in the world and don't share that view. That said, you know the standard of it is far, far worse than many non-league teams, possibly even worse than that. There is a reason people like you and other's here are supporting Reading FC and not Reading Town, you want to watch a high standard. What if Get Reading started bating you in by headlining Reading Town news above Reading FC? I don't believe you would not find it irritating. I care about the standard and where the actual interest is, not the gender.

They deliberately don't mark the headline, they do have the occasional picture, but may time's its deliberately worded to trick you into clicking because it is not obvious. " England Striker ruled out with broken Ankle", no picture of anyone, just an England shirt so you can't tell, then it's some random female striker when you think it's Harry Kane. It's purposely deceptive and they know full well that people clicking on this are doing so because they think it's the male England team.

Do they seriously think these tactics will generate more interest in the women's game?

I know that they do it, I just really don't care. And often, to be honest, I'd read any subsequent article I was directed to - I've taken a much keener interest in the women's game over the last couple of years, and certainly enough to know that the standard has improved infinitely. I recalled during the World Cup that I recently attended a mixed charity game where it was the members of the Fulham Ladies team that stood head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, which included a number of Fulham academy players, some of whom are near the first team squad.

Of course women's teams aren't going to be comparable to men's. But if you're trying to claim that skill levels remain light years behind the men's game, then you'll still be claiming it in ten years when it is even more demonstrably untrue.

Rax

by Rax » 09 Oct 2019 22:30

Sanguine
FiNeRaIn
Sanguine You'll be relieved that as far as I know it's only these 'footballers' who are allowed out of the kitchen.

There is always someone that create's an extreme of an argument that isn't there. Best wishes to the females, I wish them all the success in the world and don't share that view. That said, you know the standard of it is far, far worse than many non-league teams, possibly even worse than that. There is a reason people like you and other's here are supporting Reading FC and not Reading Town, you want to watch a high standard. What if Get Reading started bating you in by headlining Reading Town news above Reading FC? I don't believe you would not find it irritating. I care about the standard and where the actual interest is, not the gender.

They deliberately don't mark the headline, they do have the occasional picture, but may time's its deliberately worded to trick you into clicking because it is not obvious. " England Striker ruled out with broken Ankle", no picture of anyone, just an England shirt so you can't tell, then it's some random female striker when you think it's Harry Kane. It's purposely deceptive and they know full well that people clicking on this are doing so because they think it's the male England team.

Do they seriously think these tactics will generate more interest in the women's game?

After watching Reading's penalty shoot out v West Ham in the FA Cup Semis last year, I'd be inclined to disagree!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 Oct 2019 19:52

A big plus one from me too Fine Rain.

The BBC have an obsession with raising the profile of women's football. I can't help cynically thinking that as well as being massively "right on" politically and culturally at the moment it is because they can afford the rights to the women's game, something that they mostly lost in the men's game more than 20 years ago so it kills two birds - live sport airtime and they can also be seen as some hero pioneers of the women's game because that is all they can afford to show us on the BBC.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Oct 2019 15:08

FiNeRaIn , no one cares about the women's game.

80,000 sell out for the Germany game at Wembley coming up might disagree with this view.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Oct 2019 16:43

can they at least give us the choice of lumping it all together or separating into men's and women's

it is a bit clickbaity at the mo

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 Oct 2019 22:02

paultheroyal

80,000 sell out for the Germany game at Wembley coming up might disagree with this view.

How do the ticket prices compare with the England men’s team’s home fixtures?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 17 Oct 2019 22:26

Mr Optimist
paultheroyal

How do the ticket prices compare with the England men’s team’s home fixtures?

A quarter or half the price

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2019 06:52

paultheroyal

How many school kid tickets, freebies etc. in that. Also, what sort of price are tickets, is it the usual extortionate Wembley pricing? Good to see that size turn out though.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Oct 2019 13:20

Sutekh
paultheroyal

How many school kid tickets, freebies etc. in that. Also, what sort of price are tickets, is it the usual extortionate Wembley pricing? Good to see that size turn out though.

It is significantly cheaper - category 1 is £20 compared to £60 for the montengro match.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Aug 2020 20:22

Women's goalkeeping still shite, I see!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Sep 2020 20:03

From Despair To Where?
FiNeRaIn
From Despair To Where? The BBC is a publicy owned broadcaster with a public service remit written into it's charter to cover non mainstream subject matter. If you don't like it, subscribe to IfcukingTV instead and see how much inconsequential shit you're bombarded with.

You are missing the point. I don't have a problem with them covering womens football, I have a problem with them disguising it as mens to lure people in with deceptive tactics. They should be held to a higher standard than the ladbible and ITV.

Well, you're talking about it on third party website so it's clearly worked.

Why should the BBC be held to higher standards than other broadcasters with it's online output?

A "higher standard" is probably wrong, but the BBC shouldn't be trying to deceive people into clicking on stories they aren't interested in. Clickbait is more understandable from a commercial site needing that ad revenue.

Of course, it could just be somebody doing it to be mischievous, rather than there being directive to "go for clicks" or just to spread coverage of the women's game.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Sep 2020 09:08

On the BBC mobile website I can click on the headline 'Williams battles into third round', in reference to the US Open. Now I know who Serena Williams is, but this is no different to (say) 'Late Kerr goal sees Chelsea past resilient Arsenal'. I know who Sam Kerr is too, but that's not the point. I'm amazed this still riles people.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Sep 2020 13:59

Sanguine On the BBC mobile website I can click on the headline 'Williams battles into third round', in reference to the US Open. Now I know who Serena Williams is, but this is no different to (say) 'Late Kerr goal sees Chelsea past resilient Arsenal'. I know who Sam Kerr is too, but that's not the point. I'm amazed this still riles people.

It was usually more 'Chelsea draw Arsenal in the cup' with a pick of the cup

...and you're thinking 'hang on, I thought they drew City'

<click>...oh right...<click_again>

They need to change the size of the goal in women's football