141 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by a new hope

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2019 17:23

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal That. Was. Great.

Not the game or performance or the ref. The result and the way it came.

Preston were the biggest timewasting bunch of fouling crybaby shithouses I've seen in years. Absolute toss the entire team.

We weren't great. But there was more fight and we got lucky on the two obligatory free headers being placed straight at Cabral.

We'll need to do much much better to string a real run together, but that's a big lift and hopefully Rino and Meite fit for Tuesday. Though Yakou looks like he'll be out for a few weeks.

Wait. Were you there?!?!

I KNOW, RIGHT!?!!

People of the world (or just Reading) rejoice. The curse has been lifted. We are free now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Oct 2019 17:23

sandman
URZZZZ Back three so good today

Rafael - 6
Yiadom - 7
MMM - 9
Obita - 6
Pele - 7
Swift - 7
Ejaria - 7
Puscas - 5
Meite - 4

Baldock was lively but made a couple of poor decisions

Bowen in!

:lol:

Meite was by no means brilliant but he was better than the other waster.

Both poor. Whereas Meite always puts in the same performance regardless, Puscas was miles better today than against Swansea and Bristol

Would still stick with those two Tuesday if Meite is fit. Consistency in the team selection is important

JR

by JR » 19 Oct 2019 17:24

WestYorksRoyal
JR GTFI!!!!!!

Nothing quite like a last ditch winner as the clock strikes 5.

Decent performance today - 0-0 would have been fair enough as did not create a great deal, but competitive. What a boost to get the late winner.

Who was the legend that hit the pile driver that got parried?

I’ve seen two games this season - 3-0 and 1-0 wins against promotion chasing Cardiff and Preston. Am confused why we are not top?

Can you make it every week?

I shall tell the other half that my team needs me.

To be fair I do miss the days of Reading away trips around the country.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2019 17:24

URZZZZ
sandman
URZZZZ Back three so good today

Rafael - 6
Yiadom - 7
MMM - 9
Obita - 6
Pele - 7
Swift - 7
Ejaria - 7
Puscas - 5
Meite - 4

Baldock was lively but made a couple of poor decisions

Bowen in!

:lol:

Meite was by no means brilliant but he was better than the other waster.

Both poor. Whereas Meite always puts in the same performance regardless, Puscas was miles better today than against Swansea and Bristol

Would still stick with those two Tuesday if Meite is fit. Consistency in the team selection is important

I am inclined to agree. Stick with them for a bit more. It's coming. I hope..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 17:25

Thought both Puscas and Meite did fine. Tough game and both showed up. Puscas really does make excellent runs and gets in the right places, so think it’s a matter of time before he gets a few

Baldock was good off the bench as well. New option and looked fast and sharp. Gomes shat the bed with him.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Oct 2019 17:29

Hound Thought both Puscas and Meite did fine. Tough game and both showed up. Puscas really does make excellent runs and gets in the right places, so think it’s a matter of time before he gets a few

Baldock was good off the bench as well. New option and looked fast and sharp. Gomes shat the bed with him.

He's never been a 20 goal a season player, but he has been a valuable player for many good teams at this level. He should definitely play a bigger role under Bowen.

One minor concern is if Meite is injured. Joao is apparently out for 6 weeks, and so we have no real physicality up front with those 2 out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2019 17:31

Hound Thought both Puscas and Meite did fine. Tough game and both showed up. Puscas really does make excellent runs and gets in the right places, so think it’s a matter of time before he gets a few

Yep, couple of really tasty runs from Puscas and very close to tucking away a couple of tantalising crosses.

Not quite got the hang of knowing when to shoot and pass though. Blazed over from a narrow angle with Meite in the middle... I think that's about the 4th time I've seen him make that choice and get nowhere near scoring.

Meite hopped on to celebrate and was so keen not to put any weight on one foot he fell over at least once. I can't see much chance of him making the next game.

They didn't really play as a pair well often nowhere near each other and flicks in the wrong direction. Hopefully will come with time.

Less vulnerable on the flanks today, but still an issue for us. As is having both Swift and Ejaria on. Too intricate to play together successfully in midfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 17:35

They were much better set up at FB. Was so simple but basically when Obita went forward, Moore moved out to LB and went back 4 and same on the other side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2019 17:40

Hound They were much better set up at FB. Was so simple but basically when Obita went forward, Moore moved out to LB and went back 4 and same on the other side.

Oh yeah, way way better.

Moore back on the left side of course. Another way in which Gomes shit the bed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 17:58

Looking on the highlights - that really was one hell of a shot from Obita for our goal

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 19 Oct 2019 18:14

Thought the team played well Morrison my motm would have let Wolves have Loader didn’t like changing both front two

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Oct 2019 18:15

God that 2nd half was akin to Chinese water torture, Preston players staying down every time after minimal contact. referee rightly added on 7 minutes, and the pricks got what they deserved.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 19 Oct 2019 18:42

Two awful missed headers from PNE in, err, the first 20 minutes nd that should have been game over.

Morrison my MotM.

Joao being out is a blessing. His touch is almost as bad as Meite's.

At last Puscas was getting some sort of service and made some great runs. He will come good. Him and Baldock on Tuesday for the school shed, please.

Rino for Pele and we should start to come good. It probably won't be pretty but "it's a results business." :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 19:09

Beauty is in the eye and all that

Found it far better to watch than under Gomes, more entertaining- direct at times without being hoofball

Personally how I think football should be played (unless you have super talented Top level players)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2019 19:21

Hound Thought we played well. PNE top of the table and we just about outplayed them.

We just shaped up a whole lot better. Players seem to know their positions and proper actual tactics

PNE were a horrible divey, niggly bunch, constantly play acting and trying to ref the game. Deserved to lose deep in injury time for that alone

Cracking moment that winner as well, brilliant...

My biggest take from the day was, just how cr@p are PNE :|

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Oct 2019 19:32

Completely different style of play. Clear at all times in defence no matter where. Close down all the time. Hit long balls over the top.Take no chances. Its the sort of style you need to grab at least a point. We just about edged it by bringing Preston down to our level. Will probably work well away from home but against poorer sides than us we may need to adapt to a more passing game. Its not pretty but maybe necessary in our position.

Impressed with Bowen interview after game

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 19:43

Yes, I actually like the admission that he was ok with 0-0 after 70. As I was as well

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2019 19:49

Hound Yes, I actually like the admission that he was ok with 0-0 after 70. As I was as well

A couple of times first half I checked the clock on a PNE attack (12 and 18 mins I think) thinking - yep, this is about time they score according to the Gomes script.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 Oct 2019 19:53

It will be nice just to get to being a mid table side again as I am getting sick over the last couple of years of hearing bottom feeder clubs like Brentford, Preston, and Bristol Shitty coming out with the "should be beating teams like Reading" comments.

You expect the Billy Big Balls comments from old dinosaurs Leeds, Wednesday and Forest but you know how far you have sunk when everyone else is having a pop.

I suppose we've had a good run for nearly 20 years now, it's now 17 years since we were last out of the top two divisions. How many of the "should beat sides like Reading" clubs can say the same.

Fair play to one bloke on the PNE site who is calling their manager out for the shithouse tactics, much respect to that man. Although there is someone else who thinks the ref was our star man today.
Last edited by Mr Optimist on 19 Oct 2019 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 20:05

Ref just completely lost the plot. When he started giving drop balls and being completely played by their diving

Most his actual decisions weren’t terrible but just the constant stoppages and time wasting

141 posts