VAR

1731 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: VAR

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Sep 2019 10:02

VAR is bent as anything. get rid you prunes!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Sep 2019 11:28

Stranded
Hoop Blah So, another few weeks on and we're seeing plenty of goals disallowed for questionable offsides and a lack of decisions being overturned.

Current impressions of VAR?

I still don't think it's worth the time, effort and impact it's having on the game. How decisions like Lascelles vs Matip aren't reviewed as clear and obvious I don't know. Similarly, some of these marginal offsides that are being ruled as factual just don't stack up for me either and I don't like the non-decision making effect it has on the officials.

Nothing I've seen so far is winning me over to VAR.

About the only thing I'd question in your post, though I tend to like VAR, all the offsides given have been correct by the law - if VAR is showing anything it is that the law may no longer fit for purpose but with VAR there will always be this issue - if they change the rule there will always be a point at which the on/offside decision has to be made and if VAR rules they are off by half a centimetre it doesn't really matter where that line is.

Perhaps the best way forward is if a goal is scored, a quick word to the assistant ref - "Any chance he was offside?" - assistant ref's job then is to make a judgement call on narrow offsides but maybe keep the flag down - if goal sored and he thinks there may have been a tight one then it is referrred.

This of course may mean that a number of tight offsides are not called but as often mentioned, the attack often gets no real advantage so could be an agreeable middle ground and games see less stops for offside.

I just don't think the tech is accurate enough to make a call on such tight offsides so I think we're using a flawed system to over-check decisions that I'd rather see left alone. If you can't make the decision without a shadow of doubt then it shouldn't be made, especially to rule out a goal that for 100 years so more probably would've stood.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 19 Oct 2019 16:58

What is the actual pfucking point of var if the decision says no goal but the referee lets it stand anyway....

Get it out already for Christ sake. ridiculous!!!!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Oct 2019 19:01

Its being said that VAR actually worked fine at Spurs today, it was some bonehead working the big screen in the stadium that hit the wrong button.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2019 01:27

Winston Biscuit Its being said that VAR actually worked fine at Spurs today, it was some bonehead working the big screen in the stadium that hit the wrong button.

that's exactly what they want you to think

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Oct 2019 07:10

Why was the Alli goal allowed. Looked blatant “handball” to me as the ball clearly hits his upper arm.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 11:34

Not a good day for VAR. Ruled out Wood's equaliser for a completely unintentional clip of Evan's foot that would have changed nothing, failed to give Delafeou a penalty despite at least two separate moments of contact bringing him down.

Either they're both fouls or neither. You can't have one standard for checking goals and another for awarding fouls that were missed.

Also thought there was an example where VAR should be correcting incorrect corner decisions... though understand that isn't in the remit.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Oct 2019 13:29

Baffled by the Wood/Evans one. As Snowlake says, the accidental knock on the foot changed nothing, Evans had already made contact with the ball and it was heading into the goal

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2019 17:19

VAR working perfectly at Old Trafford!

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 20 Oct 2019 17:20

BR0B0T VAR working perfectly at Old Trafford!

LOL yeah, can someone who bothers to know about these things explain why the United goal was allowed?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2019 17:26

Suddenly Carragher hates VAR :lol:

Have Liverpool finally run out of luck? Doubt it.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2019 17:35

St Pauli

LOL yeah, can someone who bothers to know about these things explain why the United goal was allowed?

United 'foul' is subjective, however...

any handball in the box that results in a goal is automatically disallowed

(my understanding of the new rule)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2019 18:24

sandman Suddenly Carragher hates VAR :lol:

Have Liverpool finally run out of luck? Doubt it.

It hasn't

8)

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 20 Oct 2019 18:45

BR0B0T
St Pauli

Kicks the guy’s leg, without contacting the ball, from behind. Not subjective IMO but yeah I see your point.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Oct 2019 19:47

St Pauli
BR0B0T
St Pauli

Kicks the guy’s leg, without contacting the ball, from behind. Not subjective IMO but yeah I see your point.

Never mind the goal, whatever happened to the foul from behind being a mandatory free-kick and a booking?
Am not complaining as these VAR decisions will, as with "luck",even out over a period of time but it just seems a bit odd that the Old Trafford home team favourtism by referees has survived the mighty VAR. :wink:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Oct 2019 20:57

Victor Meldrew
St Pauli
BR0B0T

Never mind the goal, whatever happened to the foul from behind being a mandatory free-kick and a booking?
Am not complaining as these VAR decisions will, as with "luck",even out over a period of time but it just seems a bit odd that the Old Trafford home team favourtism by referees has survived the mighty VAR. :wink:

'foul' was a bit soft tbf

VAR can fook off as well...didn't want to celebrate the goal until after the review

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Oct 2019 09:18

BR0B0T 'foul' was a bit soft tbf

VAR can fook off as well...didn't want to celebrate the goal until after the review

It would've been a soft foul, and Origi probably didn't help him self by going down quite so theatrically., but it's still a foul and should've been given.

A pretty embarrassing weekend for VAR really.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Oct 2019 09:20

VAR should be abolished at the end of the season, we don't need it or want it in this country. The system is crooked.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Oct 2019 09:24

It's not crooked, they just don't know how to use it.

Works fairly well in La Liga, unless you're Casemiro being clearly brought down in the box. and if the awful La Liga refs can learn how to use it then anyone should be able to.
Last edited by sandman on 21 Oct 2019 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Oct 2019 09:28

:| :| :| :|

It doesn't work anywhere as is well documented. It has ruined football, get your head out of the sand.

1731 posts