CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Oct 2019 13:21

We needed someone who can get our team to win ugly and that is exactly what we did on Saturday. Full marks to Bowen, he got it spot on.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Oct 2019 14:18

Hound some interesting info here, think this is all new isn't it? Not seen it elsewhere. But Bowen's full account of how he got the job

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... d-17096614

if this is taken at face value, it really does make all the 'snake' stuff a little embarrassing

A real low for me in terms of our fan base. Its slowly receding yet we all know it will be back in full force when results wont go Bowen's way.

Utter cringefest.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Oct 2019 16:31

paultheroyal
Hound some interesting info here, think this is all new isn't it? Not seen it elsewhere. But Bowen's full account of how he got the job

if this is taken at face value, it really does make all the 'snake' stuff a little embarrassing

A real low for me in terms of our fan base. Its slowly receding yet we all know it will be back in full force when results wont go Bowen's way.

Utter cringefest.

We really do have the most embarrassing fans of all football fans on social media.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 16:35

The Enfield Royal71
paultheroyal

Utter cringefest.

We really do have the most embarrassing fans of all football fans on social media.

Twitter is just what it is. Full of muppets

What I take more offence to is pundits and co repeating the nonsense as though that’s actually what happened

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2019 17:12

paultheroyal

Utter cringefest.

Just all so unnecessary and nasty. Based on no rational thought at all.

Bowen is fast becoming a favourite of mine. Really good interviews. Solid first step. And you could really see how pleased he and the players were with the result and each other.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Oct 2019 17:12

Hound
The Enfield Royal71
paultheroyal

Utter cringefest.

What I take more offence to is pundits and co repeating the nonsense as though that’s actually what happened

Dellor was embarrassing on Saturday's pre-match show. Rather than accept Bowen's interview at face value (ie not involved with the sacking) he continued to espouse a fan's view that he must have had something to do with it, because of his role as Sporting Director. The fact the guy had been in post less than 2 months and probably had no real authority other than over Ged Roddy was completely passed over.

FWIW I think Gomes walked at the Monday meeting in Portugal, which is why we didn't have a replacement immediately lined up. Suspect he was given a 4-6 game imporve or else ultimatum, which went down well with Gomes who felt he needed time to bring the squad together, etc, so agreed to jump before he was pushed. Hence no immediate replacement plus many of his staff staying. But that's not my reading of events

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2019 18:15

Hound
The Enfield Royal71
paultheroyal

Utter cringefest.

Yeah. I mean our fans are knobs on social media but certainly not the most embarrassing. Liverpool fans probably win that one. They were on a 17 win streak and they criticisied Klopp quite a bit yesterday. Including his decision to bring on the sub who saved their unbeaten record :roll:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 08:35

STAR's statement re: Gomes' sacking and Bowen's appointment:

"A first time manager can work –like Pardew and McDermott – or flop as Bullivant did."

Didn't we get Bullivant because he apparently did well as manager of Barnet?? IIRC according to Bullivant responding to his critics at the time he said if you didn't know that you weren't a "student of the game".

:?:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 22 Oct 2019 09:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup STAR's statement re: Gomes' sacking and Bowen's appointment:

"A first time manager can work –like Pardew and McDermott – or flop as Bullivant did."

Didn't we get Bullivant because he apparently did well as manager of Barnet?? IIRC according to Bullivant responding to his critics at the time he said if you didn't know that you weren't a "student of the game".

Apologies to you and TB1 if that was the case. The details have faded behind my sense of underwhelmage that has lingered since 1997.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 09:34

STAR Liaison
2 world wars, 1 world cup STAR's statement re: Gomes' sacking and Bowen's appointment:

Apologies to you and TB1 if that was the case. The details have faded behind my sense of underwhelmage that has lingered since 1997.

Agreed, it's understandable. The rest of the article is spot on and this minor factual error doesn't detract from the points made.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 10:06

more interesting stuff from JLow. This time an interview with Adam:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-17120107

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 10:28

Hound more interesting stuff from JLow. This time an interview with Adam:

Really interesting what he's saying about how training levels have massively gone up and how they now have a plan. Quite damning for Gomes!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 10:39

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Really interesting what he's saying about how training levels have massively gone up and how they now have a plan. Quite damning for Gomes!

it is, though taking it in the context of Adam being totally dropped by Gomes and reinstated by Bowen

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 22 Oct 2019 11:39

Hound

it is, though taking it in the context of Adam being totally dropped by Gomes and reinstated by Bowen

Well quite. The one bloke associated with Bowen previously and coincidently the only player really who you'd say had a "fitness issue" coming out and saying how intense the training sessions now are.

I like Bowen, he seems like a very shrewd individual to me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 11:41

just scanned the TalkReading twitter an its more interesting actually that Adam has replied to a few comments on there.

Basically 'we're not putting more effort in', but the level of training 'intensity' has gone up.

I do think that is a little damning. But also very much what I want to hear.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 22 Oct 2019 11:47

Hound just scanned the TalkReading twitter an its more interesting actually that Adam has replied to a few comments on there.

Basically 'we're not putting more effort in', but the level of training 'intensity' has gone up.

I do think that is a little damning. But also very much what I want to hear.

Probably too intense for him given he pulled a hamstring after making one pass on Saturday. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 12:31

Intensity is certainly something Adam looks like he'd struggle with in any environment, training or match.

I reckon he has the potential to be a good coach though. Smart player, had to work hard to get where he did, not just given it all from a young age in a super Academy or playing on pure talent.

zaskar

by zaskar » 22 Oct 2019 12:49

Interesting stuff as you say but it wasn't an interview, he just rewrote it from this podcast:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07rldrx

I'm not sure that Low has got his feet under the table with the club just yet!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Oct 2019 13:04

Vision
Hound

Well quite. The one bloke associated with Bowen previously and coincidently the only player really who you'd say had a "fitness issue" coming out and saying how intense the training sessions now are.

I like Bowen, he seems like a very shrewd individual to me.

The bits coming out do seem to back up the leaks that Gomes had lost the dressing room either in full or in part.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 13:29

Snowflake Royal Intensity is certainly something Adam looks like he'd struggle with in any environment, training or match.

I reckon he has the potential to be a good coach though. Smart player, had to work hard to get where he did, not just given it all from a young age in a super Academy or playing on pure talent.

Yes thought the same. If Bowen hangs around I strongly suspect Adam might become part of the back room team

385 posts