Total votes: 80
KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ejaria vs Siggy

by KC Royal » 25 Oct 2019 18:54

Hound
SCIAG
Greatwesternline +1

Although i assume you're saying Swift is better. Swift's best moments are better. I think Ejaria looks like a better all round player.

There are definitely things Ejaria does better than Swift, but Swift is much better creatively and I don’t think Ejaria offers enough in other areas to make up for it.

For me Baker>>>Swift>>Ejaria>Kelly

God I miss Baker.

Baker was a lovely player to watch. I think Swift is right up there this season though. To be able to play pretty much everyone position in midfield as well as he has this season is a real skill. His stats for the QPR game were exceptional - most passes, most tackles, only lost possession once. Strangely I think we under-rate him. It was no coincidence that when Bowen took off Rino for us to control possession better with Swift at a Dcm, we did exactly that.

Can see Ejaria ending up at a higher level than Swift as he has a very rare talent in his dribbling and ability to beat players, but I think Swift is our key man at the moment

I think Swift is under-rated. He was my MOTM against Cardiff, and on Tuesday the only difference between him and Ejaria in the end was Ejaria's assist. I also think his red card against Fulham had a major bearing on the outcome of the game. Probably an obvious thing to say but I felt that once he was sent off our chances disappeared and I think the players felt that too.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Oct 2019 19:47

URZZZZ There’s a reason Stam had him second choice (behind the “awful” Joey - well according to most posters), Clement didn’t play him, Lampard barely played him. Because he had no influence on a game

I wouldn’t say he was particularly good at positioning and defending. We still conceded a shed load with him playing at CB/CDM

Agreed that we’ve had many worse players like Meyler but that doesn’t make Evans good. It just means we’ve made some poor signings since Evans left

Evans played more than Joey (who actually had a very good season that year after a bad first few games). Stam did rotate between them a lot though.

That season we conceded 64 goals, of which 12 happened in two games were Evans wasn't playing. Take out those twelve goals and that makes it the best season we've had defensively since we last got relegated. Obviously that isn't all down to Evans, because for one thing he didn't play every match and he wasn't quite on Oliver Norwood's level anyway, but it doesn't really support your claim that we conceded a shed load with him playing.

Except for a couple of brief spells where one of Kelly, Eza, or Baker looked up to it, we've been crying out for a decent DM since Evans left. That shows you the influence he had on a game. Hasn't worked for him at Derby but it did here.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2019 21:05

SCIAG
URZZZZ There’s a reason Stam had him second choice (behind the “awful” Joey - well according to most posters), Clement didn’t play him, Lampard barely played him. Because he had no influence on a game

I wouldn’t say he was particularly good at positioning and defending. We still conceded a shed load with him playing at CB/CDM

Agreed that we’ve had many worse players like Meyler but that doesn’t make Evans good. It just means we’ve made some poor signings since Evans left

Evans played more than Joey (who actually had a very good season that year after a bad first few games). Stam did rotate between them a lot though.

That season we conceded 64 goals, of which 12 happened in two games were Evans wasn't playing. Take out those twelve goals and that makes it the best season we've had defensively since we last got relegated. Obviously that isn't all down to Evans, because for one thing he didn't play every match and he wasn't quite on Oliver Norwood's level anyway, but it doesn't really support your claim that we conceded a shed load with him playing.

Except for a couple of brief spells where one of Kelly, Eza, or Baker looked up to it, we've been crying out for a decent DM since Evans left. That shows you the influence he had on a game. Hasn't worked for him at Derby but it did here.

Correct me if I’m wrong but those two games were Fulham and Norwich? I know Evans can put in some pretty forgettable performances but he started vs Fulham

Evans played more than Joey? Fair enough, that’s interesting and I didn’t know that. Certainly rebuffs the idea that Joey was the managers favourite although I still think Stam preferred Joey

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 26 Oct 2019 06:10

Forbury Lion
WoodleyRoyal glen little was better at dribbling
Darren Caskey was better at free kicks, penalties and eating pies.

Darren Caskey could probably have scored a free kick whilst eating a pie...

How many times did he curl one in and you watched the keeper dive knowing he was never going to save it...

100% agree on Little. One of my all time favourite Reading players. Ejarias close control reminds me a bit of Little. His balance when dribbling was superb. Could go inside or outside and importantly had the presence of mind to make sure he delivered the right cross or pass..

Oh.. and that goal at Plymouth......

Puscas would be in dreamland if we had someone who could play like Little in the team now. He makes the runs, but the passes rarely come.

Ask to the Sig / Ejaria... I rate Sig as the best player I have seen play for Reading, even better than Webby who was head and shoulders above everyone when he was here.. I rate Ejaria highly and I agree with another poster, his game will come with experience and when it does we will have a hell of a player in our squad.. I just hope unlike Gylfi, when he peaks he is here rather than one that leaves too early (assuming we do sign him of course)...

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 26 Oct 2019 06:14

URZZZZ
SCIAG

Correct me if I’m wrong but those two games were Fulham and Norwich? I know Evans can put in some pretty forgettable performances but he started vs Fulham

Evans played more than Joey? Fair enough, that’s interesting and I didn’t know that. Certainly rebuffs the idea that Joey was the managers favourite although I still think Stam preferred Joey

I quite liked Evans when he first signed and had high hopes he would get better. But he never kicked on after the play off final defeat when I really thought we would see him grow as a player. Then he was out of the team for a bit and when he came back he seemed half the player he wasn't before. Not surprised he left and have not though much about him since he did.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Oct 2019 12:36

URZZZZ
SCIAG

Darn short name, missed him on the team sheet :evil: That deflates my point somewhat and I can’t be bothered to check the whole season to see the rate we conceded at with Evans on the pitch.

I stand by “selling him was a mistake though”. Evans was better than Pele.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2019 13:10

The question is surely simply just one of did we replace Evan's with better, and did we get value in wages and fees when comparing the cost of his replacements vs what we recouped and freed up in letting him go and his performances.

Edwards, Meyler, Baker, Pele...

It's hard to argue he couldn't have at least matched Edwards and Meyler in performance and easily in cost. And he had age on his side to improve.

I think letting him go was unnecessary, but it wasn't really an error. The error was replacing him with shit. Our problem for years.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Oct 2019 19:43

Snowflake Royal The question is surely simply just one of did we replace Evan's with better, and did we get value in wages and fees when comparing the cost of his replacements vs what we recouped and freed up in letting him go and his performances.

It's hard to argue he couldn't have at least matched Edwards and Meyler in performance and easily in cost. And he had age on his side to improve.

I think letting him go was unnecessary, but it wasn't really an error. The error was replacing him with shit. Our problem for years.

I’d argue out of that lot, really only Meyler can be deceived as a flop though. Edwards was pretty limited mind, but I always thought he was given a bit of a hard time after a couple of dodgy games in March time

Obviously Baker was class (after a couple of months). Pele is difficult to judge at this moment in time, but he doesn’t look awful

I still maintain the problem we had with our midfield wasn’t the individual quality of them, it was the balance between them. Rino, Baker and Swift are a good trio for example. Mixture of hard work, height and creativity. Bacuna, Kelly and Swift weren’t. Individually they were OK, but as a unit, too small, too lightweight and thus too ineffective

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2019 20:22

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal The question is surely simply just one of did we replace Evan's with better, and did we get value in wages and fees when comparing the cost of his replacements vs what we recouped and freed up in letting him go and his performances.

I’d argue out of that lot, really only Meyler can be deceived as a flop though. Edwards was pretty limited mind, but I always thought he was given a bit of a hard time after a couple of dodgy games in March time

Obviously Baker was class (after a couple of months). Pele is difficult to judge at this moment in time, but he doesn’t look awful

I still maintain the problem we had with our midfield wasn’t the individual quality of them, it was the balance between them. Rino, Baker and Swift are a good trio for example. Mixture of hard work, height and creativity. Bacuna, Kelly and Swift weren’t. Individually they were OK, but as a unit, too small, too lightweight and thus too ineffective

Yeah. Too early to really judge Pele.

I thought Edwards was ok, but he wasn't good value in comparison.

We do switch out adequate players for sub-adequate or other adequate players too much IMO.

I'd like to see more players stick around and get chances from season to season. Especially from the Academy.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Oct 2019 22:11

Different players.....Gylfi hands down for who is better but what Ejaria does have is quicker feet and better balance.....reminds me a bit of Kanu the old Arsenal player in his style a bit....although he was a forward.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Oct 2019 13:18

Not sure if there's any clever people out there (or someone that can be arsed) but I think it'd be interesting to see a touch map for Ejaria comparing his games last season to those of this season. My instinct from the games I've seen is that this year would see his touches this season being further forward and/or more central. Last season he spent a lot of time on the left, especially covering back.