The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2019 17:25

Hendo
Uke Colin departs Cardiff

Looks like the Cardiff fans are happy to see him go, but with a good sentiment - realising it is time for someone new but acknowledging what he did for them.

Guess he’ll rock up in the next half decent Championship vacancy - unless he finally decides to retire

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Nov 2019 17:26

Sutekh
Hendo
Uke Colin departs Cardiff

Looks like the Cardiff fans are happy to see him go, but with a good sentiment - realising it is time for someone new but acknowledging what he did for them.

Guess he’ll rock up in the next half decent Championship vacancy - unless he finally decides to retire

I think it might be the latter tbh, I think he will finally pack it in.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Nov 2019 23:27

Hendo
Sutekh
Hendo

On his way to the jungle?!
Would be amusing

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Nov 2019 09:00

Hendo
Sutekh
Hendo

Yeah, he's 70 and said he was retiring at the end of this season anyway. Would imagine he's done and will take up a comfy seat in the Sky Sports studio.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Nov 2019 10:06

Christ I hope not, just get him as far away from football as possible, like he always claims he wants until someone allows a bit more time in the spotlight

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 12 Nov 2019 10:19

Warnock excellent on the radio.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Nov 2019 13:42

Stranded
Hendo
Sutekh

Yeah, he's 70 and said he was retiring at the end of this season anyway. Would imagine he's done and will take up a comfy seat in the Sky Sports studio.

Hasn't he been retiring for the past 10 years? I don't think he'd cope not being a manager, he'd probably just die.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Nov 2019 14:51

find his biography The Gaffer: The Trials and Tribulations of a Football Manager but as the audiobook. He does the reading, complete with asides and adlibs.

Brilliant.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Nov 2019 14:56

Chapter 4 - Team Bonding

- Neil begins by parachuting the listener into a night march on the moors that formed part of one of his pre-seasons as a player. At Hartlepool, an ex-commando called Tony Toms took fitness. Tony took them to the moors, separated the squad so they were all sat alone in the pitch black. 'I waited for what seemed like ages in the dark, until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I nearly filled my pants.' Turns out it was Tony, who'd used his commando skills to sneak up on Neil. 'He was ahead of his time Tony - he made us play a game and the loser got chucked in the river. It's the sort of thing they do these days on I'm A Celebrity. Finally, in the morning, we were told to find our way home - so I used my initiative and made a reverse charge call at a phone box, and got picked up.'

- Neil then moves onto his pre-season as manager, which 'is more benign. Fitness is best judged by the naked eye, not the computer.' More signings are discussed from his first one at QPR - Bradley Orr and Leon Clarke. Neil slates Clarke as not good enough, then says how pleased he was to see him nominated as League One player of the year a few years later.

- Neil takes his teams now to Cornwall, fixing matches with local teams. Marcus Bent once gave a kitman £300 to buy a TV to put in his spartan room at the training camp. Neil takes the squad to a local pub for 'a buffet and a drink - nothing excessive. Later we go back to mine for a barbecue, where I always cook.'

- Neil remembers that first summer at QPR where the new signings, led by Clint Hill, dressed up as JLS and sung 'Everybody In Love' at the team hotel. Neil gave his son £20 to soak Ákos Buzsáky with a water pistol.

- We move onto mid-season breaks. Neil says he likes a day at the races, or some fishing, before pointedly commenting on 'Allardyce liking Dubai'. There's then a lovely anecdote about Tongey and the lads going for a winter swim at Scarborough. 'Brrrr' adds Neil.

- Neil claims he got Notts County players to drink 'glasses of sherry and raw egg' in the hotel, the night before away games.

- Neil now embarks on a wide-ranging defence of his methods, arguing he has been wrongly derided as a long ball merchant. He points to the success of Darren Ambrose and Neil Danns as evidence, plus his blooding of Victor Moses and Sean Scannell. There's a brooding silence after he mentions John Bostock - this is clearly a sore spot for Neil.

- 'I know Barcelona's players are very short, but they are also very good.'

- Neil then seems to contradict himself by saying he does not want his centre halves to pass the ball. 'Kick it in the stands, they'll not score from there.' Some players don't buy into this immediately, with Anton Ferdinand a prime culprit. Neil showed the lads a video of Gael Clichy giving a goal away with a back pass in the Champions League, and wrote a column in the Independent thanking Gael for doing his job for him.

- Neil unveils a one-nation Tory attitude to defending, advocating man-marking on the grounds that 'personal responsibility is a fantastic motivator, especially against talented wingers like Jobi McAnuff'.

- At Notts County, 'Brian Clough used to walk his labrador past our postage stamp of a training ground, no doubt laughing on his way back to his salubrious grounds'.

- 'I'd be hopeless managing England, not that I'll ever get the chance.'

- There is a truly medieval discussion of tactics. Neil has used the phrase 'disputed winner' three times in the last five minutes.

- Neil claims he went to watch Barcelona train at Loftus Road and 'they didn't even work on corners or shape!'

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Nov 2019 22:22

Jose Gomes to Maritimo

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Nov 2019 14:34

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
Hendo

Hasn't he been retiring for the past 10 years? I don't think he'd cope not being a manager, he'd probably just die.

He's been at his last job EVER since he got his dream Sheffield United job hasn't he? Must have managed five or six clubs since then.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2019 15:27

Following their defeat to Maldon & Tiptree, Leyton Orient fire Carl Fletcher after just 29 days in charge.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Nov 2019 16:18

Stranded Following their defeat to Maldon & Tiptree, Leyton Orient fire Carl Fletcher after just 29 days in charge.

Can't be an easy job to manage after what happened in the summer

Similar to Cardiff and Warnock, I think the Sala incident had such an impact on Warnock and he's never truly recovered since then

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2019 07:49

URZZZZ
Stranded Following their defeat to Maldon & Tiptree, Leyton Orient fire Carl Fletcher after just 29 days in charge.

Similar to Cardiff and Warnock, I think the Sala incident had such an impact on Warnock and he's never truly recovered since then

Completely ridiculous to compare the two situations, you've really lost it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Nov 2019 09:31

URZZZZ

How do you know he has not "truly recovered"? He met the bloke once, the players had no affiliation with Sala. Death in teams (any walk of life) goes on unfortunately.

With regards to Carl Fletcher, that post was always going to be a poison chalice after Edinburgh. Similar to taking on United job after Ferguson.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2019 10:43

paultheroyal
URZZZZ

How do you know he has not "truly recovered"? He met the bloke once, the players had no affiliation with Sala. Death in teams (any walk of life) goes on unfortunately.

With regards to Carl Fletcher, that post was always going to be a poison chalice after Edinburgh. Similar to taking on United job after Ferguson.

I’m not sure the players would have been too affected by it considering they wouldn’t have met him. But Warnock chased Sala for a long time, and even admitted in the week after it happened that he was considering his own future. Added to the fact Warnock was in tears after they beat Bournemouth 2-0 a few days after it happened I personally think it affected him quite a bit

I’m pretty sure he met Sala more than once too but I’m not 100% sure on that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2019 10:47

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

OMA. Why do you have to be such a confrontational knob all the time? If you disagree, you disagree. Learn how to words things properly in a discussion like manner rather than biting peoples heads off

All I’m saying is that a death within the group is bound to affect the current manager/next managers. It wasn’t an easy job for Warnock considering someone he chased for a long time and spent £16 million on unfortunately had a tragic accident. It wasn’t an easy job for any upcoming Orient manager after a well liked manager who gained them promotion passed away. You see the point?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2019 11:02

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

OMA. Why do you have to be such a confrontational knob all the time?

Have we not met before? :D

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Nov 2019 13:13

It possibly doesn't matter how many times they met, Warnock wanted him, Cardiff signed him. If that hadn't happened he'd still be alive today.

That is likely to have an impact on you, unless you're a total sociopath, even if you'd never met them.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Nov 2019 13:32

Sol Campbell making an absolute dog's dinner of the Southend job thus far. However it would take only a fool to write him off - I still think they will get out of it, possibly at the expense of Lincoln who really need to sort themselves out.

8673 posts