SpuROFLs

884 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SpuROFLs

by genome » 19 Nov 2019 23:16

I'm not so sure about that.

United were a basket case and had been for a few seasons. Spurs have got a much, much better squad. I'm intrigued to see how it would work.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Nov 2019 23:40

Several sources calling it a done deal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 00:19

Hound Utter madness. Best manager they’ve had for decades

Jeez. They’ve won 0 league away games in 10 months. He’s won zero trophies in five and a half seasons. The football they play is slow and dour. He has past experience of walking out for better jobs. Whenever they got close to any sort of success, they bottled it. I can’t any justification for him staying.
Last edited by URZZZZ on 20 Nov 2019 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 00:22

genome I'm not so sure about that.

United were a basket case and had been for a few seasons. Spurs have got a much, much better squad. I'm intrigued to see how it would work.

Not so sure. Mourinho usually operates with a decent holding midfielder and a solid defence. With a defence as error riddled as Tottenham’s with Aurier, Rose and Sanchez giving away goals for fun, I can’t see him succeeding there if he goes. A big problem he had with United was their awful defence. Tottenhams really isn’t much better

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 12:06

URZZZZ

Not so sure. Mourinho usually operates with a decent holding midfielder and a solid defence. With a defence as error riddled as Tottenham’s with Aurier, Rose and Sanchez giving away goals for fun, I can’t see him succeeding there if he goes. A big problem he had with United was their awful defence. Tottenhams really isn’t much better

Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose and Sanchez are better than anything United had under Mourinho defensively. Maybe the way they were coached played a part in them losing form and they definitely haven't been helped by a lightweight midfield in front of them, Mourinho will fix that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 12:55

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose and Sanchez are better than anything United had under Mourinho defensively. Maybe the way they were coached played a part in them losing form and they definitely haven't been helped by a lightweight midfield in front of them, Mourinho will fix that.

Danny Rose is past it now. It says enough that he was close to joining Watford in the summer who whilst weren’t a bad side at the time, aren’t exactly great are they? Wouldn’t say he’s any better than Shaw was. Sanchez is similar to Bailly, they’re pretty fast and on a good day are solid but too often are a calamity and make too many mistakes

Then whilst Alderweireld and Vertonghen are both good defenders still, they’re not gonna be around at the top level for too much longer considering they’re aged 30 and 32 respectively. Obviously Aurier and KWP aren’t great either

I just find it a mix match between Levy and Mourinho. Levy seems reluctant to spend too much but I think Mourinho will want to spend quite a bit in the defensive area, in particular the two full backs and a holding midfielder and just in general their personalities seem completely different. I guess time will tell though

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 12:57

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Danny Rose is past it now. It says enough that he was close to joining Watford in the summer who whilst weren’t a bad side at the time, aren’t exactly great are they? Wouldn’t say he’s any better than Shaw was. Sanchez is similar to Bailly, they’re pretty fast and on a good day are solid but too often are a calamity and make too many mistakes

Then whilst Alderweireld and Vertonghen are both good defenders still, they’re not gonna be around at the top level for too much longer considering they’re aged 30 and 32 respectively. Obviously Aurier and KWP aren’t great either

I just find it a mix match between Levy and Mourinho. Levy seems reluctant to spend too much but I think Mourinho will want to spend quite a bit in the defensive area, in particular the two full backs and a holding midfielder and just in general their personalities seem completely different. I guess time will tell though

Current England international Danny Rose is past it?

Mourinho wouldn't have gone there unless he was allowed to spend, at least initially anyway. Can see Spurs getting a few out in January and bringing 5/6 top players in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2019 13:09

Old Man Andrews Current England international Danny Rose is past it?

Mourinho wouldn't have gone there unless he was allowed to spend, at least initially anyway. Can see Spurs getting a few out in January and bringing 5/6 top players in.

If, and I appreciate that this is a bit of a big if, Shaw was fit he'd be in the England squad before Rose the way they were both playing over the last 12 months.

Rose, like a few of those defensive players listed above, seems to have switched off and he's even come out recently and said he's not even going to entertain a transfer away from Spurs because he's not happy with the way they've treated him so he'll just see out his contract and take a look at the offers then.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 13:11

Hoop Blah

If, and I appreciate that this is a bit of a big if, Shaw was fit he'd be in the England squad before Rose the way they were both playing over the last 12 months.

Rose, like a few of those defensive players listed above, seems to have switched off and he's even come out recently and said he's not even going to entertain a transfer away from Spurs because he's not happy with the way they've treated him so he'll just see out his contract and take a look at the offers then.

Not sure that necessarily makes him a bad player.

Shaw has been fit a good while now hasn't he? I forget he exists tbh, goes right under the radar.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Nov 2019 13:24

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

Not sure that necessarily makes him a bad player.

Shaw has been fit a good while now hasn't he? I forget he exists tbh, goes right under the radar.

Nope he's been on the bench for a good while...Brandon Williams looks like he may have taken his spot though!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2019 13:26

Old Man Andrews Not sure that necessarily makes him a bad player.

It doesn't make him a bad player as such no, but I'm putting his state of mind and motivation down as major factors in his form over the last 12/18 months. He's not looked half the player since he wasn't allowed to leave at the same time as Walker (I think that's the right timeline, it could've been later).

Being a good player is different to actually playing well. To me he looks like he's lost his edge since the days when Spurs had 4 interchangeable full backs at the top of their game (Walker, Trippier, Rose and Davies)

Old Man Andrews Shaw has been fit a good while now hasn't he? I forget he exists tbh, goes right under the radar.

Shaw hasn't played for United since August 24th after doing a hammy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Nov 2019 13:40

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Don't agree. I think 3 of the 4 are on the way down for whatever reason (maybe being stale, ooc, losing motivation) but I don't think its a good defence at all any more.

If there was ever a case of changing the players, not the manager it was at Spurs. They've basically had the same first 11 for 3-4 years, badly needed freshening up. They should have sold all of those 4 mentioned defenders over the last 12 months, along with Eriksen in the summer, and potentially even cashed in someone like Dele when he was at peak value.

Mourinho a poor, poor choice imo. Him and Levy not suited at all. 6th place for a couple of years and then he'll be on his way

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 14:00

Hound
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Don't agree. I think 3 of the 4 are on the way down for whatever reason (maybe being stale, ooc, losing motivation) but I don't think its a good defence at all any more.

If there was ever a case of changing the players, not the manager it was at Spurs. They've basically had the same first 11 for 3-4 years, badly needed freshening up. They should have sold all of those 4 mentioned defenders over the last 12 months, along with Eriksen in the summer, and potentially even cashed in someone like Dele when he was at peak value.

Mourinho a poor, poor choice imo. Him and Levy not suited at all. 6th place for a couple of years and then he'll be on his way

Oh I am not suggesting it is a great defence but it is better than Smalling, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo, Bailly. If Mourinho just tells them to be defenders and do the basics I think the current Spurs defence is solid enough, certainly until January anyway where I would expect Jose to bring in at least 2 defenders and possibly offload Aurier and maybe Vertonghen.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 14:07

Hound
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

New manager and players needed. Pochettino made an awful mistake by dropping Moura in the Champions League final for his buddies Alli and Eriksen who have been ineffectual for two seasons now. Did he forget who single handedly won them the tie in the semi final?

Pochettino has made some poor decisions this season too. Going into the season with 1 striker is unforgivable. They spent whatever on N’Dombele, yet he finds himself behind Winks and Sissoko frequently? He was extremely reluctant to change his ways even when it was clear it wasn’t working

I agree that Mourinho may not be the right fit but Pochettino should have gone

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 14:09

URZZZZ
Hound
Old Man Andrews Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose and Sanchez are better than anything United had under Mourinho defensively. Maybe the way they were coached played a part in them losing form and they definitely haven't been helped by a lightweight midfield in front of them, Mourinho will fix that.

New manager and players needed. Pochettino made an awful mistake by dropping Moura in the Champions League final for his buddies Alli and Eriksen who have been ineffectual for two seasons now. Did he forget who single handedly won them the tie in the semi final?

Pochettino has made some poor decisions this season too. Going into the season with 1 striker is unforgivable. They spent whatever on N’Dombele, yet he finds himself behind Winks and Sissoko frequently? He was extremely reluctant to change his ways even when it was clear it wasn’t working

If it is as appears from the outside that Poch had his favourites at the club and they had it too easy then Mourinho is the exact person you need to go in and put a stop to that. Spurs just don't seem to be pushing as hard as they were last season, don't seem motivated.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 15:39

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hound

If it is as appears from the outside that Poch had his favourites at the club and they had it too easy then Mourinho is the exact person you need to go in and put a stop to that. Spurs just don't seem to be pushing as hard as they were last season, don't seem motivated.

I’m not sure on that. Mourinho was accused of having his favourites at Chelsea (Ivanovic, Cahill, Matic, Willian) and the same accusations were repeated at United (Matic, Fellaini, Lukaku) although to a lesser extent at United. Granted, as you say, he won’t be as soft on the players as Pochettino was

I think one of their problems was the hangover from losing to Liverpool. You constantly see sides take a long time to recover from losing in the playoff final, and it may be the same with the Champions League final

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Nov 2019 11:16

Mourino is a top manager, no denying that. Very brave of Spurs to go down this road rather than the up and coming manager approach. I think he will be a top appointment for them. He will learn lessons from the past. He is appointing quite a fresh backroom team and i expect to see a very different Spurs for the rest of the season and climb that table, quickly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 11:30

paultheroyal Mourino is a top manager, no denying that. Very brave of Spurs to go down this road rather than the up and coming manager approach. I think he will be a top appointment for them. He will learn lessons from the past. He is appointing quite a fresh backroom team and i expect to see a very different Spurs for the rest of the season and climb that table, quickly.

I think because Mourinho is who he is it clouds the opinions on his managerial ability. How anyone can say he is a poor manager is beyond me, he is at the very top of the tree.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Nov 2019 12:01

I don't think anyone's saying he's a bad manager, just that he has a collosal ego who thrives on creating tension and instability. It's not a blueprint for long term success. He's a deluxe Martin Allen. Comes in, shakes things up but eventually pisses everybody off. If it's a short, sharp shock you're looking for then fine.

Actually in a round about way, I kind of am saying he's a bad manager.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Nov 2019 12:16

Spurs have gone from Tim Sherwood to Jose Mourinho in five years.

That's pretty impressive to be fair.

884 posts