TV rights

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: TV rights

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2019 07:15

Tyldesley is such a Man Utd fanboy, he can't stop talking about them.

He's also a prime example of the hyperbole over content style of commentary much loved by the modern crop of commentarybots.

I think it's an ITV thing. It's a light entertainment channel and I think they are directed to "entertain".

Much prefer the old school BBC commentators like Barry Davies, the type who were dropped into the Olympics to commentate on Synchronised Swimming at a minute's notice and had to sound knowledgable.

Used to like Jonathan Pearce in the early days on Channel 5 and the BBC but then France-Honduras in Brazil 14 happened and it was clear the nursing home was beckoning.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2019 07:44

From Despair To Where? Tyldesley is such a Man Utd fanboy, he can't stop talking about them.

He's also a prime example of the hyperbole over content style of commentary much loved by the modern crop of commentarybots.

I think it's an ITV thing. It's a light entertainment channel and I think they are directed to "entertain".

Much prefer the old school BBC commentators like Barry Davies, the type who were dropped into the Olympics to commentate on Synchronised Swimming at a minute's notice and had to sound knowledgable.

Used to like Jonathan Pearce in the early days on Channel 5 and the BBC but then France-Honduras in Brazil 14 happened and it was clear the nursing home was beckoning.

Tyldesley 100% goes in with a script of funny one liners for goals, hate him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2019 08:18

genome Been watching the Burnley game - absolutely loving the no commentary option. Everyone should offer that

Sky used to offer this a while ago, but have since taken away the function.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2019 08:35

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? Tyldesley is such a Man Utd fanboy, he can't stop talking about them.

Tyldesley 100% goes in with a script of funny one liners for goals, hate him.

That's what I mean by being directed to entertain. It all feels a bit forced and not natural. The best commentary is off the cuff. Think "They think it's all over..." or "Where were the Germans, and frankly, who cares?"

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Dec 2019 11:12

It looked and sounded like any other televised game as far as I could see. Only watched for a bit as my Smart TV app didn't like it, although it wasn't the whole app, Paddington 2 would have played fine. It worked fine on the PS4 mind you

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2019 11:35

Hendo
genome Been watching the Burnley game - absolutely loving the no commentary option. Everyone should offer that

Sky used to offer this a while ago, but have since taken away the function.

I remember the Fanzone commentary on Sky, which they scrapped in short order. I remember a Spurs fan asking the referee to "FUCKING SEND HIM OFF!!" :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Dec 2019 11:51

Tyldesley used to go all orgasmic when a certain Man Utd striker had a shot and he could scream "Roooneeeey" even if the shot went wide.
Also Martin Tyler is very pro Man Utd and has been known to scream Man Utd's players' names in preparation for THAT "Aguerooooo" moment.

I think I prefer the old style "less is more" of Longhurst, Allis, Laker, Benaud, Carpenter, Wolstenhome etc and Coleman tended to get the atmosphere right between info and excitement.

Back to Tyldesley, I have a feeling that he has at some time been the victim of bullying.
During a game he often says about how strong or macho a player is and words like "you wouldn't want to upset him" or "you wouldn't take meet him down a dark alley" are said with much feeling.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2019 11:58

Victor Meldrew

Tyldesley used to go all orgasmic when a certain Man Utd striker had a shot and he could scream "Roooneeeey" even if the shot went wide.
Also Martin Tyler is very pro Man Utd and has been known to scream Man Utd's players' names in preparation for THAT "Aguerooooo" moment.

I think I prefer the old style "less is more" of Longhurst, Allis, Laker, Benaud, Carpenter, Wolstenhome etc and Coleman tended to get the atmosphere right between info and excitement.

Back to Tyldesley, I have a feeling that he has at some time been the victim of bullying.
During a game he often says about how strong or macho a player is and words like "you wouldn't want to upset him" or "you wouldn't take meet him down a dark alley" are said with much feeling.

Disagree with the Tyler/United bias. I think people just associate his voice with the time United won everything, they were on TV all the time and 9/10 Tyler was commentating. Tyler is the very best commentator there is for me, never thought he was overly biased towards anyone.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Dec 2019 12:03

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

Disagree with the Tyler/United bias. I think people just associate his voice with the time United won everything, they were on TV all the time and 9/10 Tyler was commentating. Tyler is the very best commentator there is for me, never thought he was overly biased towards anyone.

It may just be my own anti-Man Utd bias but when he commentates on their games it seems as though everything is from their perspective rather than providing a balance with the opposition.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2019 12:07

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

It may just be my own anti-Man Utd bias but when he commentates on their games it seems as though everything is from their perspective rather than providing a balance with the opposition.

I guess the problem with that is that when Man Utd are on TV (maybe apart from bigger games), the majority of the TV audience are tuning in to see them, not Watford or Bournemouth and if that is true that Tyler is giving a more Utd focused view, he is giving the audience what it wants - if this even a thing as I have never really understood the flack he gets re: United as I don't see the bias either.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2019 12:08

This is my favourite Martin Tyler moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17Fydnzn6o

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Dec 2019 12:14

Martin Tyler supports Woking

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2019 12:15

Silver Fox Martin Tyler supports Woking

Assistant manager of Woking too.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Dec 2019 12:16

Old Man Andrews
Silver Fox Martin Tyler supports Woking

Assistant manager of Woking too.

hangs out at their local Pizza Express

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2019 12:22

Victor Meldrew

Don't think it's entirely fair to compare them to people like Allis, Laker and Benaud, even though they were the gold standard of commentary, as they commentated almost exclusively on slower paced games with set piece sequences of action, lasting 3+ hours that were more conducive to a languid, almost conversational style of presentation.

I'd compare them unfavourably to someone like Tony Romo, an ex pro who understands the game and is able to point out tactical nuances that the viewer may not appreciate to the point that, on numerous occasions, he is able to predict what is going to happen before it happens. Yeah, he talks a lot and he had a fan's enthusiasm but there is no waffle. The football equivalent would probably have been someone like Jimmy Armfield or Graham Taylor.

I'd actually like to see more referees go into commentary and for them to be briefed on law changes along side active refs.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 04 Dec 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Dec 2019 12:33

Martin Tyler is a Gillingham fanatic, isn't he ? Also, currently a coach at non-league level. Tbf to Tyler, he was commentating at the golden age of the Fergie/Utd dominance. You gonna get carried away watching Beckham, Cantona et al. Funny that his most famous 'scream' was during a Man City game.

Yeah, last night's coverage was decent I thought. Up the Amazon !

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2019 12:35

Zammo Martin Tyler is a Gillingham fanatic, isn't he ? Also, currently a coach at non-league level. Tbf to Tyler, he was commentating at the golden age of the Fergie/Utd dominance. You gonna get carried away watching Beckham, Cantona et al. Funny that his most famous 'scream' was during a Man City game.

Yeah, last night's coverage was decent I thought. Up the Amazon !

No he is Woking through and through.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2019 12:41

I thought Tyler was a Wycombe fan. Brian Moore was a Gillingham fan (and life president IIRC) as well as a vastly over rated, butt clenchingly shit commentator with a blatant overfondness for Arsenal.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 04 Dec 2019 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 04 Dec 2019 12:43

Tyler used to be on the sidelines for Hampton & Richmond until recently so is a bit fickle.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Dec 2019 12:44

This was an interesting piece written about Amazon's coverage:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/dec/03/amazon-prime-video-tv-football-premier-league-broadcast-stream

I liked the Jenas comment.