2019 Summer Recruitment

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

2019 Summer Recruitment

by Westwood52 » 17 Dec 2019 22:38

Who actually identified the Summer transfers ?
Does anybody know ?
Who was a Gomes choice and who was a Bowen option ?
Where do the agents fit in ?
Rafael : Gomes,or at least his goalkeeping coach.
Virginia : Ditto.
Miazga: Pre Bowen ?.But not on the other hand not a Gomes type of ball playing defender ?
Ejaria : Ovie did not like Scotland ,and wanted to get back to West London ?His agent saw
Reading as a nice fit and Gomes liked what he saw.However I would suggest he
Had the least impact last year of the loanees .Gomes no doubt would have walked
on broken glass to get Oliveira and esp Baker back.Deffo pre Bowen ?
Morrison: Absolutely a Bowen player.
Jao: Portuguese so probably Gomes,but Bowen would have known a lot about him.
Puskas: Might have been heavily an agent influence.
Boye : Almost entirely Gomes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2019 Summer Recruitment

by URZZZZ » 17 Dec 2019 23:02

I hope Jao and Puskas are good

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2019 23:08

Nice to see Westwood making a late run for the Worst Thread of the Year award. Fair play.

Barb

by Barb » 18 Dec 2019 12:47

We need to get out of this cycle of buying 8 players every summer without any thought. Just chucking a load of new players on the pitch year after year is poor and we need to start thinking about it more.

Our last genuinely effective and successful signing was Jason Roberts years ago. Thats how poor it's been.

At best, the likes of Moore and Yiadom have been average.

We need to get the management appointment and behind the scenes right first and then hopefully the rest will follow.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Dec 2019 14:40

Barb We need to get out of this cycle of buying 8 players every summer without any thought. Just chucking a load of new players on the pitch year after year is poor and we need to start thinking about it more.

Our last genuinely effective and successful signing was Jason Roberts years ago. Thats how poor it's been.

We need to get the management appointment and behind the scenes right first and then hopefully the rest will follow.

*Unhappy Kermorgant noises*

Barb

by Barb » 18 Dec 2019 14:48

Elm Park Kid
Barb We need to get out of this cycle of buying 8 players every summer without any thought. Just chucking a load of new players on the pitch year after year is poor and we need to start thinking about it more.

*Unhappy Kermorgant noises*

Worth a shout, but in general he's the closest. Did very little for three seasons apart from that playoff year. But agree.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Dec 2019 14:59

I thibk you’re all forgetting one Danny Guthrie people

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Dec 2019 15:03

What do you define as “genuinely effective and successful”. Because in my eyes there’s at least 15/20 signings since Roberts that have made a good positive contribution to the club. Think you’re being incredibly harsh

Do you not remember coming two kicks away from the Premier League? Would you have classified those signings as “effective and successful” if we beat won the PO final?

Barb

by Barb » 18 Dec 2019 15:23

A bunch of average to dump players, that played dump football that somehow out bored the opposition into a playoff place, as future seasons proved.

No signing in recent history has made a significant impact. They've all just been increadibly overpriced shit or just beige average plodders.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Dec 2019 15:31

Barb A bunch of average to dump players, that played dump football that somehow out bored the opposition into a playoff place, as future seasons proved.

No signing in recent history has made a significant impact. They've all just been increadibly overpriced shit or just beige average plodders.

Might I suggest another hobby?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 18 Dec 2019 15:41

Old Man Andrews Nice to see Westwood making a late run for the Worst Thread of the Year award. Fair play.

Happy New Year.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Dec 2019 15:44

slightly off topic but to be honest related.

I was sat here struggling to work out how the academy has supported the team recently. traditionally the academy should produce players for the first team or raise funds for the squad and other than Obita I am struggling to think of another player that has really achieved either in the last 8 years from our academy. Rinhomota could be that exception but it is still early days and be the one top class player in a generation but i am struggling past that.
last few I can think of is-
Liam Kelly (false dawn and went for pittance)
Jake cooper ( sold for about a million and has been ok for Milwall)
Tarique Fosu (looked amazing in debut then has languished round league 1 since left on free transfer)
Aaron Kuhl ( once dubbed the new amzing thing tracked by prem clubs now playing for Slough Town)
Michael Hector (atleast got a few million off Chelsea but a bit Meh)
Aaron Tshibola (See Hector and done nothing since)
Jack Stacey (left for nothing and is now in the premiership in hindsight probably the best of that generation but not sure he would have done aswell if he had stayed)

Maybe I am just expecting too much

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Dec 2019 16:26

linkenholtroyal slightly off topic but to be honest related.

I was sat here struggling to work out how the academy has supported the team recently. traditionally the academy should produce players for the first team or raise funds for the squad and other than Obita I am struggling to think of another player that has really achieved either in the last 8 years from our academy. Rinhomota could be that exception but it is still early days and be the one top class player in a generation but i am struggling past that.
last few I can think of is-
Liam Kelly (false dawn and went for pittance)
Jake cooper ( sold for about a million and has been ok for Milwall)
Tarique Fosu (looked amazing in debut then has languished round league 1 since left on free transfer)
Aaron Kuhl ( once dubbed the new amzing thing tracked by prem clubs now playing for Slough Town)
Michael Hector (atleast got a few million off Chelsea but a bit Meh)
Aaron Tshibola (See Hector and done nothing since)
Jack Stacey (left for nothing and is now in the premiership in hindsight probably the best of that generation but not sure he would have done aswell if he had stayed)

Maybe I am just expecting too much

Tish and Hector raised about 10m between them. Stacey earned us a 1m this summer, and same for Cooper. Loader could have gone in the summer for I'm guessing 3-4m and still might. Samuel brought us in 500k

Kelly and Obita have had a lot of games for us, then the likes of Cooper, Hector, Samuel, Barrett, Olise, Howe have all contributed and the latter 3 might do further

Rino and Richards have played plenty over the last few years and Rino is rumoured to be wanted by Leeds - prob looking at 7m+. Richards has played for the England U21.

Its not done bad....

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Dec 2019 16:36

We got a fair bit for Nova too didn’t we?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Dec 2019 16:50

Don’t forget Sir Les :P

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2019 17:27

URZZZZ

What do you define as “genuinely effective and successful”. Because in my eyes there’s at least 15/20 signings since Roberts that have made a good positive contribution to the club. Think you’re being incredibly harsh

Do you not remember coming two kicks away from the Premier League? Would you have classified those signings as “effective and successful” if we beat won the PO final?

Has to depend on the purpose of the signing. You want different things from different players.

A cheap stop gap who plays 20 adequate games in a season and then moves on for free when we get the player we really want is a good signing.

A player we hoped would take us to the next level who has one good season in three isn't really.

Just examples, not thinking of specific players

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Dec 2019 20:24

Being OCD I keep a record (as much as is possible) of the buys and sells of RFC.

Over the last 10 years the significant sales of Academy players have included:
Sig 7M
Antonio 1M
Long 6M
McCarthy 3M
Hector 4M
Tishbola 5M
Stacey 1.2M
Samuel 0.5M
Cooper 1M
Nova 1M
Kelly/Hamer/Henry etc - probably another 0.5M. Several others have gone for small amounts of 50K or so.

I make that a little over 30M - or 3M per annum.

I would say the Academy was one of the most successful aspects of this club. We have had a relatively barren spell recently but there are a lot of good youngsters between 15-18 at the moment and I suspect the next Sig, Hector or Long might well be in the Academy already.

Barb

by Barb » 18 Dec 2019 20:50

andrew1957 Being OCD I keep a record (as much as is possible) of the buys and sells of RFC.

Over the last 10 years the significant sales of Academy players have included:
Sig 7M
Antonio 1M
Long 6M
McCarthy 3M
Hector 4M
Tishbola 5M
Stacey 1.2M
Samuel 0.5M
Cooper 1M
Nova 1M
Kelly/Hamer/Henry etc - probably another 0.5M. Several others have gone for small amounts of 50K or so.

I make that a little over 30M - or 3M per annum.

I would say the Academy was one of the most successful aspects of this club. We have had a relatively barren spell recently but there are a lot of good youngsters between 15-18 at the moment and I suspect the next Sig, Hector or Long might well be in the Academy already.

I struggle to understand why you've included Long, who was signed the same time as long and pretty much went straight into the first team squad. Antonio was signed and was no where near an academy product as was Sig, even though he was younger then the above.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Dec 2019 23:15

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Has to depend on the purpose of the signing. You want different things from different players.

A cheap stop gap who plays 20 adequate games in a season and then moves on for free when we get the player we really want is a good signing.

A player we hoped would take us to the next level who has one good season in three isn't really.

Just examples, not thinking of specific players

Difficult to really say what the purpose of the signing is as we’re not within the scenes. But you can take an estimation and at the very least I’d say Gunter, McCleary, Al Habsi, Moore and Kermorgant have been successful

And then when you add Williams, Norwood, McShane, Swift, Martinez, Miazga, Baker and to a lesser extent, Yiadom, Meite, Blackett, Beerens, VDB, Barrow and Oliveira (and that’s probably forgetting some obvious ones) I just don’t agree with the initial statement

Obviously part of the problem has been all the duds that went along with it

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2019 06:36

Yiadom, Swift and Meite on frees were exceptional signings tbh